• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers' off-season; Cap Space $8,346,186.00

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
By the way. Maybe my favorite option for the 49ers was re-signed today. The Titans re-signed Rob Birnoas to a 2-year contract. It did not appear that there was ever a major chance he was ever going to leave Tennessee, but I had my hopes.

Tynes will probably re-sign in New York but he'd probably be better than a good number of guys. The one thing that I always wondered about him and I've never been motivated enough to check on this, but it doesn't feel like he's been one of the better long distance kickers, which would scare me considering he'd be kicking in Candlestick. Granted, he has kicked in two (both Giants stadiums) of the hardest stadiums to kick in in the NFL. Also, he had his fair share of struggles from 40+ early on in KC. That'd worry me a little bit even if it shouldn't.

Jason Hanson would be a reliable name but I think there's about a 1% chance he'd ever move on from the Lions.

Phil Dawson and Nate Kaeding would probably be the only two other names I'd really root for. Dawson is getting way up there in age and I don't know if he'd ever leave Cleveland either but it feels like he's always been solid except for maybe a few years that came a while ago. I really wanted Kaeding this year before he was signed by the Dolphins and I'd be interested again if he's healthy.

Ryan Longwell. Ehh, I'd have to look into that one but that'd be another short term solution as well. I'd probably end up leaning towards a no on that one.

If they don't turn to the draft for somebody I wonder if the first guy they'd turn to would be Billy Cundiff again. I'd emotionally lean strongly, strongly against that but I wonder since they brought him in already and alot of these names don't appear to be realistic that they'd just turn to him again. We'll see. Feels like it's going to be another scary year in my household whenever a 49ers kicker comes up to attempt one.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't want Brock back.

Eric Branch: #49ers officially announce signing of WR Joe Hastings; tender one-year contract to CB Tramaine Brock.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't want Brock back.

Eric Branch: #49ers officially announce signing of WR Joe Hastings; tender one-year contract to CB Tramaine Brock.

Matt Barrows: 49ers tendered CB Tramaine Brock at the "orginal" tender amount, $1.323M. At this pt., they haven't tendered their other RFA, Darcel McBath

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a guy who can do a good job of booming kickoffs out of the endzone. I can go a few years before I see the Niners give up another TD on a kick return. With the improvements to our offense, field goals have become less important. They are still important, I know, but we don't need a performance like Akers gave in 2011. A decent FG kicker who is great at getting touchbacks is good enough for me.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We need a guy who can do a good job of booming kickoffs out of the endzone. I can go a few years before I see the Niners give up another TD on a kick return. With the improvements to our offense, field goals have become less important. They are still important, I know, but we don't need a performance like Akers gave in 2011. A decent FG kicker who is great at getting touchbacks is good enough for me.

yes, we'd all want that but its rare to have an accurate kFG icker, AND can boom kick-offs.

i'd want field goal accuracy first.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, we'd all want that but its rare to have an accurate kFG icker, AND can boom kick-offs.

i'd want field goal accuracy first.

Yeah, the ideal guy would be great at both, but that's hard to find and expensive. What I'm saying is that I don't care if our kicker is that great at kicking FG's as long as he's great with the kickoffs. He can be average at FG's; We are scoring more TD's now.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Pozz, thanks for all the information on kickers. I like you would like to see Kaeding at this point. How has Mike Nugent been or late? He is one of them metioned in the article I read. Like I said, I don't really pay too much attention to the position.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow. Pozz, thanks for all the information on kickers. I like you would like to see Kaeding at this point. How has Mike Nugent been or late? He is one of them metioned in the article I read. Like I said, I don't really pay too much attention to the position.

First, just a random, useless note or fact on Nugent I've always liked about him. He's one of the rare kickers in the sense that you probably can call him a real athlete. He played QB in high school and moves around pretty well for "just a kicker." No, I'm not saying that would make me feel better about him if the 49ers signed him. I'm just saying that's something about him I like.

The thing about Nugent with me is he's had some bad misses a while back which stand out to me but his numbers actually don't look as bad as the picture I have of him in my head. It's probably because of some of his career lowlights. He was the first Jets kicker to miss two FGs from under 35 yards in the same game. He also had a 20-some yard miss in that stretch and another short one that would've won them a game. He looked rough early on in his career in stretches.

Now, it's possible I've been too down on him as a possible option because of those moments, but I've never watched him and ever said to myself that I'd love having him as the 49ers kicker if he became available and the 49ers needed a body.

The one major thing that does hold up with him is that ever since his final year in New York in 2008 all the way through 2010 he doesn't have a whole lot on his resume. Mostly due to injuries. He's battled thigh, quad, and groin injuries throughout his career. He also tore his right (kicking) ACL and sprained his right MCL on an onside kick attempt while with Cincinnati in 2010. I saw it written that some felt he was starting to turn the corner and appeared to be heading upwards in a positive direction just as he suffered those injuries.

Following his injury in 2010, he played in every game in 2011 and didn't miss any games this year until the final 4 when he was put on IR with a calf injury. He's made 85% of his FGs the last two years. 25 made FGs from 40+ in the last two years along. Fairly solid. Some might say that that's proof that he did turn the corner in 2010 just as he got injured. However, as you can see, the potential with injury is there with him.

He's also been labeled as having a pretty good kickoff leg as well, though I'd have to check to see if numbers wise it shows if he's lost any distance on his kickoffs since the leg injuries in 2010.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But many observers point to the fact that the biggest culprit to the 49ers pass defense was the huge dropoff in the pass rush after Justin Smith was injured in the victory over New England in December.

Once Smith was hurt, the defense across the board suffered. Aldon Smith no longer was able to get to the quarterback, sacks went down and, with more time, opposing quarterbacks picked apart the secondary in a way they hadn’t been able to do in 2011 and early in 2012.

Though the 49ers secondary will likely be different in 2013, with the possibility of a new safety to replace Dashon Goldson (if he’s allowed to leave in free agency) and perhaps the drafting or acquisition of cornerback help, getting Justin Smith back healthy and adding new talent across the defensive line this offseason may be the key to restoring order in the secondary.

To Matt Barrows, who covers the 49ers for the Sacramento Bee, improving the pass rush is the biggest step needed.

defense! defense!

never felt the pass rush was supposed to be on one player, it is the entire unit. so improving the pass rush doesn't mean force an OLB, or tweeneer DE. just strengthening the D should help with pressure.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But many observers point to the fact that the biggest culprit to the 49ers pass defense was the huge dropoff in the pass rush after Justin Smith was injured in the victory over New England in December.

Once Smith was hurt, the defense across the board suffered. Aldon Smith no longer was able to get to the quarterback, sacks went down and, with more time, opposing quarterbacks picked apart the secondary in a way they hadn’t been able to do in 2011 and early in 2012.

Though the 49ers secondary will likely be different in 2013, with the possibility of a new safety to replace Dashon Goldson (if he’s allowed to leave in free agency) and perhaps the drafting or acquisition of cornerback help, getting Justin Smith back healthy and adding new talent across the defensive line this offseason may be the key to restoring order in the secondary.

To Matt Barrows, who covers the 49ers for the Sacramento Bee, improving the pass rush is the biggest step needed.

defense! defense!

never felt the pass rush was supposed to be on one player, it is the entire unit. so improving the pass rush doesn't mean force an OLB, or tweeneer DE. just strengthening the D should help with pressure.

And how do you propose us getting that task completed? Who do you suggest we select with our 31st overall pick? Or even in free agency?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So the only teams I'm hearing people mention with the name Mike Wallace are the Dolphins, Vikings and Patriots. :mad2:

The 49ers would be INSANE for not trying to sign him.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Chargers release linebacker Takeo Spikes | UTSanDiego.com

Obviously it would never work again with the 49ers but I'd hate to never see him play again. And by my eye and every account I can read, he's actually still playing at a pretty good level. I don't want his play coming back to bite the 49ers against them in any way but he's always been one of my most favorite people in any sport......EVER. He's the type of guy that could be successful doing SO many different things in life and is just a joy to listen to speak on the game. Unlike so many guys in today's game.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
John Abraham scheduled to visit with 49ers

The person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the travel plans weren't to be discussed publicly, said the former Atlanta Falcons end is slated to fly to San Francisco later Friday for his meeting with the defending NFC champions.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Y! SPORTS

While the Vikings and Harvin's agent, Joel Segal, have yet to exchange contract proposals, it's believed that Harvin wants money closer to what Calvin Johnson got from Detroit in 2012 (eight years, $132 million) than to Jackson or Bowe. That's an average of $16.5 million per year compared to a little more than $11 million for Jackson and Bowe. As one person put it about Harvin, he considers himself a "special" player and executives around the league have fed that attitude by telling people close to him how difficult it is to cover Harvin.

If I could, I'd tell him go ahead and ask anyone you'd like for that much but don't mind me if you see me laughing uncontrollably as I think of that thought.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers to host free agent pass rusher Abraham

In addition to the Seahawks, free agent John Abraham has scheduled a visit with the 49ers.

Highly productive despite his age (35 in May), Abraham would be a scary addition to each of these Super Bowl contenders, and particularly in San Francisco playing opposite Aldon Smith. Abraham's 49ers visit is expected to take place Friday night and Saturday. He met with the Seahawks on Friday afternoon.
Source: USA Today

Mar 8 - 2:54 PM

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Y! SPORTS

While the Vikings and Harvin's agent, Joel Segal, have yet to exchange contract proposals, it's believed that Harvin wants money closer to what Calvin Johnson got from Detroit in 2012 (eight years, $132 million) than to Jackson or Bowe. That's an average of $16.5 million per year compared to a little more than $11 million for Jackson and Bowe. As one person put it about Harvin, he considers himself a "special" player and executives around the league have fed that attitude by telling people close to him how difficult it is to cover Harvin.

If I could, I'd tell him go ahead and ask anyone you'd like for that much but don't mind me if you see me laughing uncontrollably as I think of that thought.

Report: Percy Harvin threatened walkout after ex-teammate signed deal - Minnesota Vikings news | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Vikings

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And how do you propose us getting that task completed? Who do you suggest we select with our 31st overall pick? Or even in free agency?

get that task completed? i'm hoping the draft pans out so our value is defense, say 3 out of first 4 picks. whether it be DE, OLB, C, or Safety, all three will help overall, allowing the Unit to dial up pressure.

our 31st pick alone will not solve the pass rush problem, but he likely makes the most difference. so hoping our 31st pick is a three down OLB, with good pass rush skills. if not, next would be a converted DE like Aldon, either way we bring in another quality rusher.

if the draft doesn't pan out value, bring in a FA who'll be a situational pass rusher. being his role is 'situational', we don't spend a lot.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
get that task completed? i'm hoping the draft pans out so our value is defense, say 3 out of first 4 picks. whether it be DE, OLB, C, or Safety, all three will help overall, allowing the Unit to dial up pressure.

our 31st pick alone will not solve the pass rush problem, but he likely makes the most difference. so hoping our 31st pick is a three down OLB, with good pass rush skills. if not, next would be a converted DE like Aldon, either way we bring in another quality rusher.

if the draft doesn't pan out value, bring in a FA who'll be a situational pass rusher. being his role is 'situational', we don't spend a lot.

But...free agency period begins before the draft. For instance, John Abraham is flying in for a visit today or tomorrow. You're not going to find "value" after the draft sence the draft takes place after the "value" guys are signed a month prior to the draft.