• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers' off-season; Cap Space $8,346,186.00

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glazer said Flacco is signing a new deal on Monday.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, with 6.9 mil as the franchise tag for Goldson I'm really surprised the 49ers are not considering that... it seems reasonable unless they are anticipating a holdout that lasts into the season.

Goldson # would be 120% higher because we tagged him last year so that could be the reason. Also maybe Ballake knows no one will give him 8 million a year and is hoping that Goldson would stay if his offers are between 7-7.5 million a year.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Update on Goldson, Niners talks
March, 1, 2013 4:00PM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

One of the San Francisco 49ers' offseason priorities is re-signing impending free agent S Dashon Goldson, the club's 2012 franchise taggee, who continued to play his position quite well this past season. The buzz from the Niners' decision-makers is that they will not be using the franchise tag this offseason (on Goldson or anyone else), so that means the only way he's back is on a long-term deal.

According to Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area, the club continues to negotiate with their priority impending free agents, such as Goldson, TE Delanie Walker and DL Ricky Jean Francois. Unfortunately, there has been little progress, according to what sources have revealed to Maiocco.

The deadline for franchise tag decisions is Monday, while the free agent market will open with the start of the league year on March 12; it appears that the second date is the deadline on which the Niners are operating with their FAs.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Randy Moss on twitter tonight (2 hours ago):

Wished we could've finished the job!!thanks for the opportunity an good luck in the future 9ers

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Randy Moss on twitter tonight (2 hours ago):

Wished we could've finished the job!!thanks for the opportunity an good luck in the future 9ers

Good. Definitely do not want him back. I never wanted him in the first place because I was saying he's washed up, which he pretty much proved throughout the year.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The 49ers' tag choice
March, 4, 2013 10:13AM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

The 2012 season was a pretty exciting one for the San Francisco 49ers. Their starting QB went down with a concussion, but the former second-round pick they drafted in 2011 stepped in to his place, emerging as one of the league's most dangerous QBs thereafter, and guiding the team all the way to the Super Bowl. The offseason has gotten off to an exciting start, as they've already agreed in principle to a trade that will send Alex Smith (the concussed/replaced starter from above) to the Kansas City Chiefs in exchange for a second-round pick in this offseason's draft (No. 34 overall), and an additional pick in 2014. The next decision they have to make concerns their usage of the franchise tag.

The two most likely candidates for the designation are TE Delanie Walker and S Dashon Goldson, the latter of whom was the 2012 recipient. According to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, Goldson is not expected to be tagged again.

So that leaves the Niners to decide whether they want to tag Walker (at a cost of $6.066 million) or tag no one. We'll know in a few hours.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sideline View's Adam Caplan reports the 49ers are expected to release K David Akers before the start of free agency.
Akers had no shot at collecting his $3 million salary after going just 29-of-42 on field-goal attempts last season. He was 4-of-5 in the playoffs. Akers is only one year removed from one of the greatest kicking campaigns in league history, but will likely have to settle for a camp competition in free agency.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sideline View's Adam Caplan reports the 49ers are expected to release K David Akers before the start of free agency.
Akers had no shot at collecting his $3 million salary after going just 29-of-42 on field-goal attempts last season. He was 4-of-5 in the playoffs. Akers is only one year removed from one of the greatest kicking campaigns in league history, but will likely have to settle for a camp competition in free agency.

Good riddance! Freaking Akers hopefully our next kicker can kick the ball out of the endzone and make 80% of his FGA

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Alex trade and Akers cut we will have $12.75M freed up under the cap. The Hastings and other scrubs signings have cut into the $2M and change we had to begin with. So let's say around $14M in cap space.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I bet we get a long term deal done with Goldson.. For some weird reason I just got that feeling.. I also think we are going to release Whitner and restructure/release Rogers.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet we get a long term deal done with Goldson.. For some weird reason I just got that feeling.. I also think we are going to release Whitner and restructure/release Rogers.

I would be fine with the bolded part. Don't want to release Rodgers don't think he is a bad CB but he maybe a bit overpaid right now.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if we sign him. :)