• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Patriots News

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 2nd round pick. Just like Sanu from last year!:yo:
Wow, not sure there is value in that. Jeepers Creepers.

So now that we did not trade Gilmore what's his new contract going to look like?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ford cost the Patriots a 2022 7th Round pick.

BB put a high price on Gilmore so that 15 teams wouldn't call offering 2022 3rd and 2025 sixth. What it did was tell every team that if you want Gilmore don't call offering two guys who have blown knees and a fourth round pick in 2022. There was talk that Seattle offered a 3rd and 6th but with Compensatory picks and where Seattle could finish the season, their third round pick could easily be near 320 in the draft and BB was looking for something 40 or less. Even a Seattle 2nd could be in the 60s.

My sense of it is that BB will trade him during the draft.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ford cost the Patriots a 2022 7th Round pick.

BB put a high price on Gilmore so that 15 teams wouldn't call offering 2022 3rd and 2025 sixth. What it did was tell every team that if you want Gilmore don't call offering two guys who have blown knees and a fourth round pick in 2022. There was talk that Seattle offered a 3rd and 6th but with Compensatory picks and where Seattle could finish the season, their third round pick could easily be near 320 in the draft and BB was looking for something 40 or less. Even a Seattle 2nd could be in the 60s.

My sense of it is that BB will trade him during the draft.

I honestly do not know anything about this guy other than he's 6'2". It's only a 7th round pick so he can't be anything great of value, no? Is he fast?

But it won't really matter until the Patriots can have someone to throw him the ball.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly do not know anything about this guy other than he's 6'2". It's only a 7th round pick so he can't be anything great of value, no? Is he fast?

But it won't really matter until the Patriots can have someone to throw him the ball.
We know he was named after a car so he must be fast, right?

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Patriots acquired WR Isaiah Ford from the Dolphins in exchange for a conditional 2022 sixth-round pick.​

It's a highly-unusual deal between division foes. 207 of 6-foot-2 Ford's 225 snaps this season have come in the slot. That's a place where Bill Belichick is always looking to add, but the Pats' need for experience there is acute after losing Julian Edelman to injured reserve. Ford has 18 grabs for 184 yards this season, but ESPN's Cameron Wolfe guesses the Dolphins would like to get Malcolm Perry, Lynn Bowden Jr. and Antonio Callaway more opportunities. It also benefits "big slot" man Mike Gesicki. Ford could quickly become PPR relevant for target-desperate New England.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With literally no fanfare and not much be announced, the NFL and The NFLPA agreed last week to allow the 2020 Salary Cap ($198.6M) to remain in place for 2021 but the spending floor was placed at $175M. Becusde of lost revenue the anticipated reduction in the salary cap could have decimated teams. It's been decided that the revenue loss and salary cap will be reduced over the 2022, 2023, 2024 period and if revenues rebound, the salary cap will be adjusted.

The patriots will have less than $1M of dead cap money owed and the players salaries will be at $131M, Gilmore, Hightower, D. McCourtr and Cannon will account for $50M of that and Shaq Mason, Edelman and J. Jones will account for another $23M. That's 7 players who will account for 56% of the team cap.

At $131M the Patriots will have $68M of cap space to buy free agents. Can Gilmore, McCourty, Hightower and cannon be replaced for less than $50M with players that are equally good. Should the team pay Edelman $7M if he can only play 7 or 8 games?

If it were me pulling those purse strings, Gilmore would be gone along with Cannon. That frees up an immediate $25M to spend with the $68M that now becomes $93M. I'd immediately sit down with Thuney and offer him a 3 year $45M contract fully guaranteed. That puts me back to $78M I'd offer Andrews a 3 year $30M contract with $15M guaranteed. Down to $63M and my OL is set for the next three years. Do you keep McCourty and Hightower and their combined $24M contracts??

The next four years are going to be very interesting. Franchise tag salaries will drop, with cap adjustments the teams will be lucky if the cap moves it's normal annual 11% in either direction. Once the adjustments are over and the cap can be reset where will he team caps be set in 2025? $225M??

The Patriots will have some really tough questions to ask themselves ...........and they'll be even harder to answer.

Just thank the Good Lord that the Patriots ain't the Eagles.................!!!!!!!

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With literally no fanfare and not much be announced, the NFL and The NFLPA agreed last week to allow the 2020 Salary Cap ($198.6M) to remain in place for 2021 but the spending floor was placed at $175M. Becusde of lost revenue the anticipated reduction in the salary cap could have decimated teams. It's been decided that the revenue loss and salary cap will be reduced over the 2022, 2023, 2024 period and if revenues rebound, the salary cap will be adjusted.

The patriots will have less than $1M of dead cap money owed and the players salaries will be at $131M, Gilmore, Hightower, D. McCourtr and Cannon will account for $50M of that and Shaq Mason, Edelman and J. Jones will account for another $23M. That's 7 players who will account for 56% of the team cap.

At $131M the Patriots will have $68M of cap space to buy free agents. Can Gilmore, McCourty, Hightower and cannon be replaced for less than $50M with players that are equally good. Should the team pay Edelman $7M if he can only play 7 or 8 games?

If it were me pulling those purse strings, Gilmore would be gone along with Cannon. That frees up an immediate $25M to spend with the $68M that now becomes $93M. I'd immediately sit down with Thuney and offer him a 3 year $45M contract fully guaranteed. That puts me back to $78M I'd offer Andrews a 3 year $30M contract with $15M guaranteed. Down to $63M and my OL is set for the next three years. Do you keep McCourty and Hightower and their combined $24M contracts??

The next four years are going to be very interesting. Franchise tag salaries will drop, with cap adjustments the teams will be lucky if the cap moves it's normal annual 11% in either direction. Once the adjustments are over and the cap can be reset where will he team caps be set in 2025? $225M??

The Patriots will have some really tough questions to ask themselves ...........and they'll be even harder to answer.

Just thank the Good Lord that the Patriots ain't the Eagles.................!!!!!!!
Last I checked, 50+23 = 73 = 37% of 198.6.... Though 56% of 131 may be 73, those numbers are not irrelevant to anything.

What is relevant is every player must be worth their paycheck and if not then they should not be renewed (every NFL contract is renewed each year by virtue of "not being cut").

As great as Edelman has been I don't think we need to hurt the team by giving him a parting gift. As much as he's out earned most of his contracts he wasn't much of a contributor his first few years and I suspect may not have had much of an NFL career had he not landed in New England where gritty, bring it to practice every day players are valued despite it not being put on the field every Sunday. He developed because of that and both he and the team has been rewarded.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last I checked, 50+23 = 73 = 37% of 198.6.... Though 56% of 131 may be 73, those numbers are not irrelevant to anything.
I was talking about their $73M being 56% of the $131M of total Patriot contracts. That's a bunch for 7 guys and two of them opted out and those two account for $25M. (Hightower & Cannon).

Sadly, I have to agree about Edelman. I also see no reason to bring back Cannon, Chung, Bolden.

Gilmore has no intention of signing here in 2022 and I guarantee that BB will be rid of him next spring.

I think Hightower will be back and McCourty has lost a step and it might be time for him to called it a career.

If all of the pieces fall exactly right, The O-Line will be solid and set. BB will have more than $100M to pay top tier veterans to fill slots like WR, K, DT, and even TE and have money left over to back them all up.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking about their $73M being 56% of the $131M of total Patriot contracts. That's a bunch for 7 guys and two of them opted out and those two account for $25M. (Hightower & Cannon).
You are talking about 56% of an irrelevant number. What does $131 million mean? The current committed number is nothing but a placeholder.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does $131 million mean?
Why are you so fukin' angry??

The $131M is the amount committed to the cap on the present roster before free agency or the draft in 2021.

IF you want to verify it, go to Google and type "NE Patriots 2021 Salary Cap" You'll find 12 pages of info.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The $131M is the amount committed to the cap on the present roster before free agency or the draft in 2021.

IF you want to verify it, go to Google and type "NE Patriots 2021 Salary Cap" You'll find 12 pages of info.
He's disagreeing with you Ken.
I don't give Thuney a fully-guaranteed contract.
Hightower is a tough question. We need him at linebacker but he has now sat out that old body for a year. He was noticeably slower last year in a league that needs fast linebackers. He has a year left. Let him play.
Gilmore has had an off-year. I'd trade him if someone is biting. I'd renegotiate with him if not. Nobody is going to go free agency with the cap problems next year unless they have a bad contract.
Cannon has a contract. Let him play and prove he can stay on the field.
Andrews makes a difference on that line. Do what you can and draft a center.
If Duggar and Joejuan Williams continue to develop, we won't need Chung. If we have a vianle team next year, he's worth keeping long enough to see what he can do in camp and preseason.
McCourty is still a top player. Lose either brother and you'll lose both. The secondary is not good enough after you get rid of Gilmore to lose your veteren players. Another year while our young DB's continue to develop.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Angry? I'm simply giving a rebuttal. You posted that 56% of that number is meaningful. I'm not saying the amount committed is meaningless, just that 56% of that number is meaningless. It's like saying 100% of Gilmore's salary is committed to him. While it's accurate it doesn't tell us anything.