• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PFF Suggested Trade for the Bengals

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

C Ted Karras, New England Patriots

Hypothetical Trade: Ted KarrasCincinnati Bengals for a 2022 seventh-round pick

Dead money: $1,000,000
Cap savings: $833,333
Contract with acquiring team: One year, $833,333

Bill Belichick maintained a dynasty for two decades largely on the understanding that it’s better to be early than late on a personnel move. The New England Patriots made the tough decision to move on from 2019 Defensive Player of the Year cornerback Stephon Gilmore after the two sides couldn’t come to an agreement on an extension, and here they continue to make small moves to prepare for another important offseason in 2022.

Karras ending up in New England this season after a stint with the Miami Dolphins was a strange circumstance, with New England Patriots incumbent starting center David Andrews also being a free agent. The belief in league circles was that one of Andrews or Karras would sign with the Miami Dolphins and Brian Flores. Instead, both landed in New England.

Although it comes on a small sample size, Karras has the eighth-best pass-blocking grade among interior offensive linemen through Week 5 — an 81.3 grade on 57 pass-blocking snaps — after splitting time at left and right guard.

Frankly, Karras is too good to not be starting somewhere. The Bengals robbed the New York Giants blind in trading away 2018 first-round pick center Billy Price, but starter Trey Hopkins tore his ACL in Week 17 of 2020 and may need some more time to get back to 100%. Hopkins has a 31.9 pass-blocking grade through Week 5 in 2021, over thirty points lower than any season in his career since 2016.

The downside is minimal if anything, as Karras can also serve as a quality reserve interior offensive lineman. Cincinnati acquired a conditional seventh-round pick from the Giants in the Price trade, so the team could end up with interior defensive lineman B.J. Hill and interior offensive lineman Ted Karras for a swap of seventh-rounders. If the Bengals want to keep quarterback Joe Burrow upright and healthy and make a serious playoff push, beefing up their interior could be the key.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals Mock Draft Pick by PFF

29. CINCINNATI BENGALS: OT TREVOR PENNING, N. IOWA

Record: 4-2
Strength of Schedule: .510
PFF Rank: 17th
Remaining Schedule: 31st

The Bengals? Picking at No. 29 in a mock? You better believe it.

Regardless of the early season success from the Bengals, their offensive line is still what needs the most attention. This feels like a perfect excuse to slide in Penning, who is quietly having one of the best seasons of any offensive lineman in college football. His 88.0 pass-blocking grade is one of the best in college football.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a new one and boy is it an interesting one.

Seriously, I wonder if we can afford his contract with Bates, because a 1st and a 5th seem like a decent deal for a Top 3 CB. Howard, Awuzie, Hilton, Bates and Bell roaming the backfield come playoff time? Dolphins could use that extra 1st to acquire Watson. We may have been spending our 1st round pick on a CB in the draft anyways, but you probably wouldn't be getting a Howard.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, I wonder if we can afford his contract with Bates, because a 1st and a 5th seem like a decent deal for a Top 3 CB. Howard, Awuzie, Hilton, Bates and Bell roaming the backfield come playoff time? Dolphins could use that extra 1st to acquire Watson. We may have been spending our 1st round pick on a CB in the draft anyways, but you probably wouldn't be getting a Howard.
I'm not trading away a 1st. Nope.

I don't hate the trade, but if you are going to give up assets/picks, it is going to be to solidify the OL. Specifically either LG or C.

Any team stupid enough to trade the house for Watson before the NFL makes any kind of ruling is gearing up for failure. No picks, and no QB to show for the picks traded away.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trading away a 1st. Nope.

I don't hate the trade, but if you are going to give up assets/picks, it is going to be to solidify the OL. Specifically either LG or C.

Any team stupid enough to trade the house for Watson before the NFL makes any kind of ruling is gearing up for failure. No picks, and no QB to show for the picks traded away.
I am hoping that 1st round pick is going to be in the mid to late 20's at least. You get a top 3 CB to basically replace the often injured Waynes. Jettison Waynes and his $14 million, maybe even trade him to replace that 5th round pick you are giving up. Plus, I like the idea of the first trade as well if he was available for a 7th round pick. You basically give up a 1st and a 7th, while getting rid of Waynes money and you put a top 3 CB on your defense and a solid rotational lineman on your offense. Sounds a little too good to be true.

That first means little to me if it is a late 1st, and the guy we are getting for it is a top 3 CB. To me you can't get that value with a late 1st very often.

I know we need to work on our oline still, and I think that should be a priority in the off season, but our guards are not a weakness right now, Carmen and Spain are balling. Rieff looks a little old, but still playing solid ball. Williams is coming into his own. Our biggest question mark right now is depth and center, as Hopkins has been less than stellar so far trying to come back from his ACL tear. You knew he would take some time to get back to being in the position he is in with that injury late last year.

If our draft pick was going to be a top 15..I start mulling that over a bit more. But I truly believe we are looking more in the mid twenties at least.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hoping that 1st round pick is going to be in the mid to late 20's at least. You get a top 3 CB to basically replace the often injured Waynes. Jettison Waynes and his $14 million, maybe even trade him to replace that 5th round pick you are giving up. Plus, I like the idea of the first trade as well if he was available for a 7th round pick. You basically give up a 1st and a 7th, while getting rid of Waynes money and you put a top 3 CB on your defense and a solid rotational lineman on your offense. Sounds a little too good to be true.

That first means little to me if it is a late 1st, and the guy we are getting for it is a top 3 CB. To me you can't get that value with a late 1st very often.

I know we need to work on our oline still, and I think that should be a priority in the off season, but our guards are not a weakness right now, Carmen and Spain are balling. Rieff looks a little old, but still playing solid ball. Williams is coming into his own. Our biggest question mark right now is depth and center, as Hopkins has been less than stellar so far trying to come back from his ACL tear. You knew he would take some time to get back to being in the position he is in with that injury late last year.

If our draft pick was going to be a top 15..I start mulling that over a bit more. But I truly believe we are looking more in the mid twenties at least.
You also have to make sure he's a fit. Both culturally and schematically.

I know he's rubbed some the wrong way down tin MIA with his contract talk previously and holding out. While I'm sure players always/usually back players - we have a very unselfish core - especially Bates as pertaining to his contract. Not sure I'd love having a guy around in his ear that advocates holding out and going through all that.

Also, if you want to cut Waynes, you can do so after the season (or after July 1st). Cap hit is just 5M, and would be 2.5 after July 1st. So, jettisoning his salary doesn't really do a whole lot anyway in this trade. It actually accelerates the dead cap since you still have to deal with this contract.

The defense is already playing at a really high level. Another DB would be nice, especially since Waynes can't stay healthy, but the real boost is still on the OL. To say they are "balling" is a bit generous. Hopkins is nearly 30 points below his blocking average, and Spain still is very inconsistent. If you are talking about THIS year and taking advantage of how this team is playing right now - I think you have to look OL first and foremost.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You also have to make sure he's a fit. Both culturally and schematically.

I know he's rubbed some the wrong way down tin MIA with his contract talk previously and holding out. While I'm sure players always/usually back players - we have a very unselfish core - especially Bates as pertaining to his contract. Not sure I'd love having a guy around in his ear that advocates holding out and going through all that.

Also, if you want to cut Waynes, you can do so after the season (or after July 1st). Cap hit is just 5M, and would be 2.5 after July 1st. So, jettisoning his salary doesn't really do a whole lot anyway in this trade. It actually accelerates the dead cap since you still have to deal with this contract.

The defense is already playing at a really high level. Another DB would be nice, especially since Waynes can't stay healthy, but the real boost is still on the OL. To say they are "balling" is a bit generous. Hopkins is nearly 30 points below his blocking average, and Spain still is very inconsistent. If you are talking about THIS year and taking advantage of how this team is playing right now - I think you have to look OL first and foremost.
I think Carmen and Spain are balling. That is who I was referring to. Carmen is grading out as one of the top RG's in football right now and Spain has done a great job on the left. Hopkins on the other hand has struggled mightily and if Hopkins wasn't playing so poorly, I bet Carmen and Spain have even better numbers. Williams has been good. Reiff has been up and down, but a big improvement over Bobby Hart. Our biggest hole right now is Hopkins still trying to get himself right from t hat surgery trying to hold off big men in the middle of that line on a surgically repaired knee.

You are right about culture with Howard though. I can appreciate that point of view. Howard got his money, so hopefully he would be a team player. We are okay, I just worry about Waynes continuing to be out and us having to start covering playoff caliber teams #2 WR with Eli Apple. We will not be good for the long run in that scenario. Apple is a fill in in case of emergency not a starter. If you have Howard being a shut down corner on one side of the field, Awuzie on the otherside, and Hilton in the slot. 3rd down efficiency on defense just got a lot better, your pass coverage is better, your pass rush is better. Howard makes this defense go from a top 8 to 10 defense, to a top 3 to 5 defense. Then with all our weapons on offense, even the shaky play of Hopkins from time to time, we are still a very dominate force. I still worry about our defense and its depth more than I do the offense as long as Burrow is in charge.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, a fat guy in the 1st and a fast guy in the 2nd

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Carmen and Spain are balling. That is who I was referring to. Carmen is grading out as one of the top RG's in football right now and Spain has done a great job on the left. Hopkins on the other hand has struggled mightily and if Hopkins wasn't playing so poorly, I bet Carmen and Spain have even better numbers. Williams has been good. Reiff has been up and down, but a big improvement over Bobby Hart. Our biggest hole right now is Hopkins still trying to get himself right from t hat surgery trying to hold off big men in the middle of that line on a surgically repaired knee.

You are right about culture with Howard though. I can appreciate that point of view. Howard got his money, so hopefully he would be a team player. We are okay, I just worry about Waynes continuing to be out and us having to start covering playoff caliber teams #2 WR with Eli Apple. We will not be good for the long run in that scenario. Apple is a fill in in case of emergency not a starter. If you have Howard being a shut down corner on one side of the field, Awuzie on the otherside, and Hilton in the slot. 3rd down efficiency on defense just got a lot better, your pass coverage is better, your pass rush is better. Howard makes this defense go from a top 8 to 10 defense, to a top 3 to 5 defense. Then with all our weapons on offense, even the shaky play of Hopkins from time to time, we are still a very dominate force. I still worry about our defense and its depth more than I do the offense as long as Burrow is in charge.
Did you see Carmen's block on the Perine TD run? That was insane. Though he cut his chops as a tackle in college, guard might be his best position.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at these numbers from Bengals writer Paul Dehner..... This team is getting it done on both sides of the ball.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see Carmen's block on the Perine TD run? That was insane. Though he cut his chops as a tackle in college, guard might be his best position.
I completely agree. I don't think I want to see him move. His frame and, strength and weight at RG is ideal. That is a big damn man to try and move in short space. On the edge, you might be able to outspeed him to the edge, but I doubt you out muscle him too often on the inside. He has been great.

I think our FA needs to get either RT or C in the offseason. Then we draft the other. I really like what they are doing though. They have been taking best available regardless of position and it has really helped.

I think right now, our biggest weaknesses come the offseason are as following (no particular order):

CB, RT, C

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree. I don't think I want to see him move. His frame and, strength and weight at RG is ideal. That is a big damn man to try and move in short space. On the edge, you might be able to outspeed him to the edge, but I doubt you out muscle him too often on the inside. He has been great.

I think our FA needs to get either RT or C in the offseason. Then we draft the other. I really like what they are doing though. They have been taking best available regardless of position and it has really helped.

I think right now, our biggest weaknesses come the offseason are as following (no particular order):

CB, RT, C
If they really like Prince or the other kid they got in this draft for potential RT along with Carman - then I could be on board with Reiff for 1 more year, if he's interested.

But I think Center has to be upgraded.

DB will be a need. I could see them cutting Waynes after July to save some cap money, extend Bates. I could also see a scenario where maybe the re-do his deal, get another year, or two, but at a lower cost. Awuzie has been very good, and then look to draft/sign another DB. Need some depth at Safety, too, because when Bates was out, it was noticeable, IMO.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting stats - especially since they are a bit a part in how they grade the OL:

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, in one corner, the OL is 10th. In the other, they are 22. I'll middle it a bit and say they are likely between 14th and 16, which is nearly double where they were last year (Had to be dead last).

The improvement is there, and I think it has especially showed in games like Pitt and Balt on the road. 1 combined sack for the other team - and CIN winning both games.