• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Training Camp News

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots 2020 training camp recap: What happened during New England’s first full-team practice of the summer
Related: Patriots enter next phase of training camp ramp-up period on Wednesday

By Bernd Buchmasser@BerndBuchmasser Aug 12, 2020, 12:30pm EDT

1164211717.jpg.0.jpg
Photo by Jim Davis/The Boston Globe via Getty Images
The New England Patriots’ training camp has already started two weeks ago, but today the team was on the practice field together for the first time this offseason. Players and coaches held a 90-minute session on the fields behind Gillette Stadium, all while trying to maintain social distancing guidelines and other Coronavirus-based safety measures.

The session itself took place in sunny and warm conditions, with the team wearing helmets but no pads: the Patriots were in shells and shorts for today’s session, which consisted of a stretching period and individual group work. Neither fans nor reporters were allowed in, but the team did live-stream the first 30 minutes of the session on its website.

Based on that stream, here is a very short recap of what happened:

Attendance
Not spotted: WR Quincy Adeboyejo (?), DT Beau Allen (?), LB De’Jon Harris (?), CB Michael Jackson Sr. (?), LB Brandon King (PUP), RB Sony Michel (PUP), CB Joejuan Williams (?)

Returned (after ending 2019 on IR/PUP/NFI): C David Andrews, OT Yodny Cajuste, G Hjalte Froholdt, FB Jakob Johnson, DT Darius Kilgo, QB Cam Newton, WR Gunner Olszewski, LB Derek Rivers, CB D’Angelo Ross

• The list of players not spotted has to be taken with a big grain of salt. Not only did the stream’s cuts not allow for a fully accurate picture when it comes to attendance, rookies also wore non-regular numbers which made spotting especially those that went undrafted hard. The four non-PUP players that were not seen could therefore have very well been part of the action after all.
Injuries
  • No injuries were spotted during the 30 minutes that were shown in the stream.
Offense
  • The offense started out on the western practice field that would normally be closest to the fans. After stretching, the unit split up into various positional groups going through individual running drills — from passing, to catching, to blocking.
  • The quarterback battle between Cam Newton and Jarrett Stidham for Tom Brady’s former starting role is now officially underway, but it was Brian Hoyer who took the first rep in every round. He was followed by Stidham, Newton and undrafted rookie Brian Lewerke. The order itself likely has little meaning and seems to be based more on seniority than anything else.
  • At one point running back James White joined a pass-catching drill that also featured five wide receivers: Julian Edelman, N’Keal Harry, Mohamed Sanu, Jakobi Meyers and Devin Ross. White being part of the group is a reflection of his role on the roster as New England’s number one receiving back.
  • Speaking of a pass-catching drill: Sanu’s quick footwork stood out, which is especially noteworthy considering that he opened training camp on the physically unable to perform list (PUP) after undergoing offseason surgery on his ankle.
Defense
  • The defense started out on the eastern practice field that would normally be farthest from the fans. After stretching, the unit split up into two groups with the front-seven working together and the secondary doing the same — all under the watchful eyes of some new position coaches: DeMarcus Covington (defensive line), Steve Belichick (outside linebackers) and Brian Belichick (safeties).
  • While Rashod Berry is listed as a tight end on the Patriots’ roster, he does have some experience playing on the defensive line as well. It was therefore no surprise to see him partake in the front-seven drills mentioned above.
Special teams
Miscellaneous
  • Julian Edelman did not wear a team logo on his helmet.
  • New England’s coaches were spotted wearing face masks during the session and when interacting with players.
  • The Patriots will return to practice fields tomorrow for a session that is not open to the public, even for the cameras.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New England Patriots links 8/13/20 - First on-field training camp practice: ‘High energy’, ‘intense’
Daily news and links for Thursday

By Marima@Marima07 Aug 13, 2020, 11:09am EDT
https://www.patspulpit.com/2020/8/1...ng-camp-practice-high-energy-intense#comments
1126552863.jpg.0.jpg

Shaq Mason was “all smiles” at camp yesterday
Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
TEAM TALK

LOCAL LINKS

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friday 8/14/2020

New England Patriots links 8/14/20 - Cam Newton gives Josh McDaniels a whole new toolbox
Daily news and links for Friday

By Marima@Marima07 Aug 14, 2020, 9:09am EDT
16 Comments

1188981903.jpg.0.jpg

Cam Newton should give Josh McDaniels plenty to work with
Photo by Michael Hickey/Getty Images
TEAM TALK

LOCAL LINKS

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots RB Lamar Miller placed on PUP list to start training camp
usatsi_11490874.jpg

Isaiah Houde
21 hours ago

The New England Patriots officially added their newest running back, Lamar Miller, to the roster on Thursday.

He joined fellow running back Sony Michel on the PUP (physically unable to perform) list, so he won’t practice immediately. Both backs can come off the list at any time, but they’re nursing injuries.

Miller and Michel are on the PUP/active list, which is different than the PUP/reserve list. The PUP/active list means a player can return at any time, but they take up a roster spot. The PUP/reserve list leaves an open roster spot, but the player must sit out the first six weeks of the season.

Miller missed the 2019 season with an ACL injury and a few other minor injuries. He’s joining a backfield that includes Michel, James White, Rex Burkhead and Damien Harris. Michel will likely join the PUP/reserve list — giving Miller an early opportunity to take over as the lead back.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick Warns Media bout Getting Too Excited
The New England Patriots logged their second and third day of training camp practice this week, with the team finally logging a full-speed practice session on Friday. This was the first opportunity for players to play competitive reps, even if they weren’t playing in pads yet. The lack of contact favors the offensive players — something Bill Belichick often reminds any media member who touts an offensive player for his early practice work — but it’s the closest the players have gotten to real football since last season.

Belichick was pleased to amp up the competition, expressing how excited he was continue to move forward despite the setbacks from the novel coronavirus pandemic, which resulted in the cancellation of minicamp and offseason team activities. Because the NFL is limiting the number of media members at practice, we’ve taken a look at the notes of reporters at Patriots.com to share their observations and form our takeaways.

A reminder of how different this year’s training camp has been
Bill Belichick, in his excitement about getting in a full-speed practice, also shared a sobering piece of reality about how behind the NFL is.

“Last night (Thursday) would have been our first preseason game,” Belichick said, referring to the cancelled preseason matchup against the Lions. “We haven’t even had a team full-speed practice yet, let alone in pads. So, that’s where we are compared to where we normally are, but that’s not really relevant. What’s relevant is where we are and what we can do now, so that’s what we’re going to focus on.”

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR Quincy Adeboyejo, has been waived.

That now makes 5 open spots on the 80 man roster.

In the report I read BB said there would be some movement.

Go find a DE pass rusher BB. Not named Clowney.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expect the roister to be trimmed almost daily.

First padded practice is Monday at 10:00. Practice is not open to the public or the media. I expect that there will be boom trucks in the parking lot. First games are three weeks from today (9/6). If BB makes additions, he'll cut players almost immediately because he had to find someone better.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR Quincy Adeboyejo, has been waived.

That now makes 5 open spots on the 80 man roster.

In the report I read BB said there would be some movement.

Go find a DE pass rusher BB. Not named Clowney.
Why not Clowney? Are you afraid BB with do something he's never done before and over pay in panic?

There's a reason players come here for 1 year deals. They know they can't get blood from a rock, but can get a chance to show they can be a winner. It's hard to show you can be a winner on a lousy team.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not Clowney? Are you afraid BB with do something he's never done before and over pay in panic?

There's a reason players come here for 1 year deals. They know they can't get blood from a rock, but can get a chance to show they can be a winner. It's hard to show you can be a winner on a lousy team.

Clowney is fading. He appears to now be the type of player we would move on from if he was on the team.
One year deal? On the cheap, yes but that is not what he is looking for.

Report: Jadeveon Clowney has turned down multiple offers worth over $15 million

"The 27-year-old pass rusher collected three sacks for the Seahawks last year, the worst mark of his career in any full season."

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney is fading. He appears to now be the type of player we would move on from if he was on the team.
One year deal? On the cheap, yes but that is not what he is looking for.

Report: Jadeveon Clowney has turned down multiple offers worth over $15 million

"The 27-year-old pass rusher collected three sacks for the Seahawks last year, the worst mark of his career in any full season."
But the Pats would never pay that... Look at the deal Revis made. That's the model. Clowney aint no Revis so the deal would be more like the Newton deal. Let's agree Clowney won't make that deal, but that's no reason to dismiss the concept.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOVE 7 ON 7.

No defense. 6 receivers against 7 defenders. 100% man coverage. Receivers absolutely have to work their asses off to make moves that cause a defensive hiccup.

Grandson has been playing every Sunday from 5-8 pm and watching college players without coaches or oficials is great. Odd thing is that they call penalties on themselves. Can't go today because I have two Fantasy Football Drafts.

upload_2020-8-16_14-35-35.jpeg

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's overated to start with. Even on a team friendly one year deal he'll be expensive and we still have an Oline to address. Clowney's numbers have been on the decline. If he didn't post great numbers in a Pete Carroll D, I don't see him doing it here.
Last I don't think he's a BB type of player? He'll be playing for a contract. I can't see him putting the team first.

As much as I hate to say it, if it's all about pass rush give me Clay Matthews. Team guy and cheaper.

I was hoping for Griffen. Oh well.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today is the first day in pads. Full contact and 11 on 11 drills by the Belichick method..................

"1st and five", "2nd and 15", "3rd and 10", "4th and 2"

This will give him and the staff a real opportunity to see the OL block and do the pulls and block. He'll really get to see what the young guys can do who'll be replacing: Roberts, Van Noy, Hightower, Collins.

By 4:00 pm, if BB doesn't see what he "needs" to see during practice, he'll be on the hook trying to reel in some vets.

Matthews, OLB Alec Ogletree, LOT Jason Peters, OT Kelvin Beachum, Edge Markus Golden, DT Damon Harrison,
S Eric Reid, DT Timmy Jernigan

If BB is serious about moving Joe Thuney to RT then there are a bunch of FA Guards who would be more than willing to play in Foxboro. I have a sense that today is going to be a brutal, very nasty day of practice. People are going to be trying to get attention.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's overated to start with. Even on a team friendly one year deal he'll be expensive and we still have an Oline to address. Clowney's numbers have been on the decline. If he didn't post great numbers in a Pete Carroll D, I don't see him doing it here.
Last I don't think he's a BB type of player? He'll be playing for a contract. I can't see him putting the team first.

As much as I hate to say it, if it's all about pass rush give me Clay Matthews. Team guy and cheaper.

I was hoping for Griffen. Oh well.
I don't disagree. He doesn't seem to be the game changer he once was viewed as. He's an absolute bust relative to the expectations though few players have had expectations that high.

I wasn't arguing we should look at him. I just was trying to get others to weigh in too.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't arguing we should look at him. I just was trying to get others to weigh in too.

BB is too smart to waste his own time. Clowney wants a 5 year $100M contract and he wants $60M guaranteed so that the team won't trash his ass after a year or two of similar performances to 2019. He's turned down offers of $15M a year and it looks like people are catching on that he's not worth the cash or the headache.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tuesday 8/18/2020

Bill Belichick started the real practices by playing baseball while the media was trying to figure out how to sneak around Gillette. On Sunday night He had Stacey James, Director of Communications contact the every media outlet and told them that one person and one camera person would be allowed in the poress section of the practice field. Two rules....1. Do not speak at or yell to players during practice. 2. Do not leave the press area until you are told that you may go on the field. There was also a warning that if any network or newspaper tried to sneak an extra person or persons into the practice, that newspaper or network would lose it's media priviledges for the entire season until July 2021. Needless to say, no one tried to get sneaky.

From Training Camp Central:

Quarterbacks. Cam Newton appears to be completely healthy and did some excellent running and throwing on the run. Jarrett Stidham stopped traffic with his accuracy and even more surprising powerful arm. His offseason program has produced results and he launched an ICBM that was caught for a 75 yard TD. Brian Hoyer had a bad day and Jacoby Meyers dropped an easy pass that didn't help his numbers.

Running Backs. Rex Burkhead stood out and caught everything thrown his way. Damien Harris looked faster and was very fluid in the plays he was involved. James White was james White and didn't appear to miss TB12 at all.

Tight End. Devin Asiasi surprised everyone. Including the coaching staff. He ws targeted 11 times and made 11 catches and his speed was much better than he showed in college. Dalton Keene will be an H back when needed because he didn't drop a pass and even though he's listed at 251 he was nailing the DL with great blocking technique. There are four more TEs in camp but the rookies stole day one.

OL. Wynn, Thuney, Andrews and Mason are set. Right tackle was a huge question mark and Jermaine Eluemunor looks like BB made a steal in the trade to pick huim up lasst year. He's experienced and moved like he'd been there for years.

Wide Receivers. JE11 was his usual self. Jacoby Meyers had a couple of drops. Damiere Byrd seemed a bit uncomfortable. Every one else was common. There was an exception and this guy was the Offensive Player of the Day. 5'9" 192# Devin Ross. He stole the show. He made the 75 yard catch and burned Stephon Gilmore doing it. He made every downfiels catch that came anywhere near him. Another UDFA that will most likely make the roster if he keeps playing like he did today.

Not much on the defense except an unknown linebacker was the standout. The coaches were high fiving him and that will send a warning to guys like Calhoun, Hall and Harris that the team may have lost four linebackers but no one is going to be handed a position. From listening and watching the film, there's no question that the media is going to be centered on the offense and 90% of the attention will be on Newton and Stidham. Unless the defense totally shuts down the offense, we'll get very little coverage.

I'll try to be as accurate as possible but I will paraphrase alot of what is actually said. I've got Training Camp Central locked in on DVR. What I may try to do is take some shots with my phone and download them so you all can see and hear the parts of the program. I'm not a techie so bear with me.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tuesday 8/18/2020

Bill Belichick started the real practices by playing baseball while the media was trying to figure out how to sneak around Gillette. On Sunday night He had Stacey James, Director of Communications contact the every media outlet and told them that one person and one camera person would be allowed in the poress section of the practice field. Two rules....1. Do not speak at or yell to players during practice. 2. Do not leave the press area until you are told that you may go on the field. There was also a warning that if any network or newspaper tried to sneak an extra person or persons into the practice, that newspaper or network would lose it's media priviledges for the entire season until July 2021. Needless to say, no one tried to get sneaky.

From Training Camp Central:

Quarterbacks. Cam Newton appears to be completely healthy and did some excellent running and throwing on the run. Jarrett Stidham stopped traffic with his accuracy and even more surprising powerful arm. His offseason program has produced results and he launched an ICBM that was caught for a 75 yard TD. Brian Hoyer had a bad day and Jacoby Meyers dropped an easy pass that didn't help his numbers.

Running Backs. Rex Burkhead stood out and caught everything thrown his way. Damien Harris looked faster and was very fluid in the plays he was involved. James White was james White and didn't appear to miss TB12 at all.

Tight End. Devin Asiasi surprised everyone. Including the coaching staff. He ws targeted 11 times and made 11 catches and his speed was much better than he showed in college. Dalton Keene will be an H back when needed because he didn't drop a pass and even though he's listed at 251 he was nailing the DL with great blocking technique. There are four more TEs in camp but the rookies stole day one.

OL. Wynn, Thuney, Andrews and Mason are set. Right tackle was a huge question mark and Jermaine Eluemunor looks like BB made a steal in the trade to pick huim up lasst year. He's experienced and moved like he'd been there for years.

Wide Receivers. JE11 was his usual self. Jacoby Meyers had a couple of drops. Damiere Byrd seemed a bit uncomfortable. Every one else was common. There was an exception and this guy was the Offensive Player of the Day. 5'9" 192# Devin Ross. He stole the show. He made the 75 yard catch and burned Stephon Gilmore doing it. He made every downfiels catch that came anywhere near him. Another UDFA that will most likely make the roster if he keeps playing like he did today.

Not much on the defense except an unknown linebacker was the standout. The coaches were high fiving him and that will send a warning to guys like Calhoun, Hall and Harris that the team may have lost four linebackers but no one is going to be handed a position. From listening and watching the film, there's no question that the media is going to be centered on the offense and 90% of the attention will be on Newton and Stidham. Unless the defense totally shuts down the offense, we'll get very little coverage.

I'll try to be as accurate as possible but I will paraphrase alot of what is actually said. I've got Training Camp Central locked in on DVR. What I may try to do is take some shots with my phone and download them so you all can see and hear the parts of the program. I'm not a techie so bear with me.
Just curious BK. How much of this is your words vs copy and paste? You mentioned your source as TCC, but if the words are all yours I have to say this is as good as anything we've read from you.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious BK. How much of this is your words vs copy and paste? You mentioned your source as TCC, but if the words are all yours I have to say this is as good as anything we've read from you.
Believe it or not, I watched it once and the the second time I took notes. I paraphrased certain comments so that I wouldn't have to quote them. Just Tom Curran and Phil Perry doing the commentary. BK trying to capture the emotion of both of them.

Thanks for the compliment.