• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Patriots and Free Agency

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL has not officially set the Cap for 2021, but the two most agreed upon numbers are $180M and $175M. Of course, the league will not let the number out until March 15. Teams are canvasing the NFL to keep the cap as high as possible. The general concensus is that it will be set at $180M.

Given that number, the Patriots will have $62.8M to spend in free agency.

All of the lists of available players is based upon contracts that have expired and those players will officially be available on March 17. What is unknon right now is who will be cut to allow their teams to get to the official cap number. Because that is unknown, free agents are concerned that their market value will drop like a rock. That being said, what does that say about young players who played every snap but don't have name recognition and will be fighting against older known names and and new 2021 draftees.

The available veteran free agents lists in Sportrac shows who is going to be available, how many snaps they played and how much they were making in 2020.

Here's a list of some guys that played every snap on defense that earned less than $1M in 2020 and just might be perfect for BB to pick up on the cheap:

DT:
Akeem Nunez-Roches TB 28
Dalvin Tomlinson NYG 27
DJ Jones SF 26

DE
Tanoh Kpassdanon KC 27
Trey Hendrickson NO 27
Headi Odenigbo MIN 27
Al Quadin-Muhammad IND 26

ILB
Reggie Ragland DET 28
Jayon Brown TEN 26
Anthony Walker IND 26
Harvey Langi NYJ 29

The above players made it through the season, playing nearly every snap and playing all 16+ games. Healthy, young and inexpensive in a year where there will only be five or six teams looking outside their own roster. The reason I say that is because TB has $31,5M in cap space and Bruce Arians says he will have evrybody back in 2021. He thinks he can sign all 25 of the TB free agents with $24.5M? And commit another $7M to the draft? Have another Bud Light Bruce.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to nearly every media outlet and source, free agents are saying that they will sign a one year contract only in 2021. They all expect the cap to jump back up in 2022 and want to cash in. Stupid teams will more than likely sign them for one year. Smarttems on't have anything to do with them and here's why: If you sign a guy for one year, he's not going to play all out and take any chances that might get him injured. So, if you sign six FAs for under $10M each likw Milano, you will not get a $12M return on your investment. If you don't believe that, then you sadly mistaken.

The only guys that I'd even consider signing for a single year are veteran QBs in their 30s.

Free agency might be a nightmare for free agents.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to nearly every media outlet and source, free agents are saying that they will sign a one year contract only in 2021. They all expect the cap to jump back up in 2022 and want to cash in. Stupid teams will more than likely sign them for one year. Smarttems on't have anything to do with them and here's why: If you sign a guy for one year, he's not going to play all out and take any chances that might get him injured. So, if you sign six FAs for under $10M each likw Milano, you will not get a $12M return on your investment. If you don't believe that, then you sadly mistaken.

The only guys that I'd even consider signing for a single year are veteran QBs in their 30s.

No disagreement here but.....
If you mail it in on a 1 year deal, you are not helping yourself to get a big contract. Better to sign 2-3 year deals for both sides.
No guarantees you will not get hurt while playing poorly - then try and get a good contract!
There will be decent contracts signed.....

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...the Patriot are stupid because last year they signed Cam for a 1 year deal? And he didn't play hard because it was a 1 year deal and he didn't want to get hurt? Ok. I guess that explains his terrible play.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No disagreement here but.....
If you mail it in on a 1 year deal, you are not helping yourself to get a big contract. Better to sign 2-3 year deals for both sides.
No guarantees you will not get hurt while playing poorly - then try and get a good contract!
There will be decent contracts signed.....

So...the Patriot are stupid because last year they signed Cam for a 1 year deal? And he didn't play hard because it was a 1 year deal and he didn't want to get hurt? Ok. I guess that explains his terrible play.
I don't agree with the "if they mail it in on their one year deal" sentiment... Clearly the plan is to not mail it in for the one year and earn a better contract.

I don't necessarily buy the concept (1 yr) either, except special circumstances.. It wouldn't have hurt the Pats if they signed a 10 yr deal with Cam at 1 mill per, but that was never the point of that contract. It was Cam giving the Pats a one year rebate to allow him to prove himself.. and he just failed, not from a lack of trying.

If you sign guys to one year deals and they need time to adjust to a system, how long are they really signed for? 3 months? and if they get hurt the player won't cash in the next year and maybe ever. This is like investing, you buy based on the best information you have which is the current environment.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charlie, the cap was at $198.6M and the Patriots had a grand total of $7M. The cap had not been reset. Cam took a contract to play and play well enough that other teams would be in line to pay him to play for them. Cam played as well as he could and proved that he wasn't worth what the Patriots paid him.

Are you having a bad day??

oldmaninthedesert702

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is no doubt that help is needed at T.E. W.R. and QB, the defense needs help in the front 7, I knew it would be 'different' without #12,but last season was so hard to watch, lets hope next is better, now I have the Red Sox to frustrate me through the next 7 months God willing

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is no doubt that help is needed at T.E. W.R. and QB, the defense needs help in the front 7, I knew it would be 'different' without #12,but last season was so hard to watch, lets hope next is better, now I have the Red Sox to frustrate me through the next 7 months God willing
Welcome to the Hoop!
I just left the desert a few months ago.
Say hi to @Manster7588 he's there in Vegas.....

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All good points but teams like NE that have sufficient cap space can still sign players to lucrative deals if they so choose.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good points but teams like NE that have sufficient cap space can still sign players to lucrative deals if they so choose.
That's true, no argument here. The issue is that guys like Allen Robinson and others are saying they will not sign long term deals at less than 2019 rates. They will sign a one year deal for less and gt what they think they should when the market and the cap are back. There's only one problem with this way of thinking, no tem will have oodles and gobs of money if the cap is returned to normal slowly over say, three years.

Then again, the jags and Jets will probably overspend and land guys like him at near 2019 prices and still not build up the rest of the team.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true, no argument here. The issue is that guys like Allen Robinson and others are saying they will not sign long term deals at less than 2019 rates. They will sign a one year deal for less and gt what they think they should when the market and the cap are back. There's only one problem with this way of thinking, no tem will have oodles and gobs of money if the cap is returned to normal slowly over say, three years.

Then again, the jags and Jets will probably overspend and land guys like him at near 2019 prices and still not build up the rest of the team.
Yes, but the point is if NE wants they have the cap to pay a Robinson at 19, 20 or 21 rates if they so choose?
Probably not prudent but certainly possible.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but the point is if NE wants they have the cap to pay a Robinson at 19, 20 or 21 rates if they so choose?
Probably not prudent but certainly possible.
It looks like the Steelers are going to be forced to cut Ben Roethslesberger and his $41.3M cap hit. Think BB might be interested in offering Big Ben a contract?? Think Big Ben would come to NE?? Think it would be worth say $20M?? Just askin'.......

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like the Steelers are going to be forced to cut Ben Roethslesberger and his $41.3M cap hit. Think BB might be interested in offering Big Ben a contract?? Think Big Ben would come to NE?? Think it would be worth say $20M?? Just askin'.......
Not worth it for Cam 1.1, even less than Cam 1.1 since Cam is faster.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy tough one.

I would pay a $20M one year incentive laden as long as BB drafts a prospect in the 2nd or 3rd.

Ben would be a stop gap that could hopefully teach a rookie. Otherwise I say no. I think Ben should retire. I have a bad feeling this could be that year where everyone says he should've quit as his performance is going to struggle badly I think?

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus.... you all make it like Big Ben is Tony Eason. The guy threw for almost 4,000 yards had 33 TDs and only 10 INTs. That's not too shabby. I would take him.