• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Training Camp News

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First news of the day.....Tuesday 8/18.2020

The New England Patriots’ 2020 training camp is in full swing, as the team returned to the practice fields behind Gillette Stadium today for a second straight practice in full pads. Conditions were better than they were on Monday, with temperatures in the mid-70s and sunshine — perfect conditions for football. The session itself, meanwhile, was a continuation of Monday’s with a heavy emphasis on foundational work in all three phases of the game.

With that all being said, here is what happened at today’s practice.

Attendance
Absent: DT Beau Allen, LB Tashawn Bower, LB Brandon King (Reserve/PUP) RB Sony Michel (Active/PUP), RB Lamar Miller (Active/PUP), WR Jeff Thomas, LB Anfernee Jennings

Present but limited: WR Will Hastings

• Tashawn Bower is a new addition to the list. The fourth-year man, who is in his first training camp as a Patriot, did not suffer an obvious injury during Monday’s session.
  • Will Hastings was limited for the second day in a row.
Injuries
  • Wide receiver Julian Edelman was a full participant on Monday, but left after warmups and before positional drills began.
  • Tight end Dalton Keene had his right ankle taped towards the end of the session, but did not seem to be bothered too much by the issue.
Offense
Quarterback performance: Jarrett Stidham 6 of 7 with 1 INT (11-on-11s), 2 of 4 with 2 INTs (7-on-7s); Cam Newton 6 of 9 (11-on-11s), 3 of 3 (7-on-7s); Brian Hoyer 7 of 8 (11-on-11s), 2 of 3 (7-on-7s)

• Early during the session, the team’s quarterbacks worked on shotgun snaps with three interior offensive linemen. Jarrett Stidham lined up behind starting center David Andrews, Cam Newton behind starting left guard Joe Thuney, and Brian Hoyer behind second-year man Hjalte Froholdt. While Stidham worked with the top center option on this particular drill, the Patriots once again split their quarterback reps rather evenly.
  • After a strong outing on Monday, Jarrett Stidham had a rough stretch at one point during Tuesday’s session when he threw three picks within five pass attempts in team work. While not all of his interceptions appeared to be necessarily his fault, the second-year passer was unable to connect twice with Damiere Byrd and also threw a pick while trying to throw to Devin Ross.
  • Not all was bad for Stidham, though. He looked decisive in his decision making and also had two of the best passes of the day when he hooked up with Mohamed Sanu and Damiere Byrd during 11-on-11s. He also was the first quarterback up during 11-on-11 work, for what it is worth.
  • For the second day in a row, Brian Hoyer looked good. The veteran, who was re-signed earlier this offseason to a third stint with the Patriots, connected with second-year wideout Gunner Olszewski for a 40-plus-yard touchdown, and later hooked up with Devin Ross — one of the camp standouts so far — on another big play. While Olszewski beat undrafted rookie Myles Bryant, Ross was able to make his catch versus starting cornerback Jason McCourty.
  • Cam Newton, meanwhile, had a solid day as well. He showcased his strong arm on numerous occasions, and saw two of his three incompletions get dropped by the intended targets. While the former league MVP is still getting acclimated to the Patriots’ offense, he is looking fully healthy again after ending last season on the Carolina Panthers’ injured reserve list.
  • N’Keal Harry, Mohamed Sanu and Devin Asiasi held a side session with the quarterbacks at one point. Offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, quarterbacks coach Jedd Fisch and wide receivers coach Mick Lombardi were also present for the session.
  • The offense and defense did some red zone work late during the practice, with McDaniels’ unit finding plenty of success. Rex Burkhead had a pair of touchdown runs out of the i-formation behind Jakob Johnson, with Cam Newton later connecting with Devin Asiasi and Damien Harris. Harris later was stuffed on a running attempt as well, however.
Defense
  • Cornerback Michael Jackson registered the first interception off Jarrett Stidham during team work. Jackson, who was added to the Patriots’ roster via trade just earlier this month, undercut a pass intended for Damiere Byrd. While the play goes into the books as a negative one for Stidham, Byrd’s cut may not have been decisive enough — allowing Jackson to jump the route and pick off the ball.
  • Stidham’s second and third interceptions, meanwhile, came on back-to-back plays and were caught by cornerback Stephon Gilmore and safety Kyle Dugger. While Gilmore’s pick came after he jumped a pass intended for wideout Devin Ross, Dugger’s was the result of a badly underthrown deep attempt by New England’s second-year quarterback.
  • Just like Kyle Dugger, Josh Uche also continues to be actively involved in practice. The second-round rookie out of Michigan again was used in multiple roles and at one point stuffed a run on what looked like a scripted blitz.
Special teams
  • Jake Bailey and his coverage team had a strong session. While the second-year punter placed his kicks consistently well, veteran gunners Matthew Slater and Justin Bethel were quickly down the field to down them. At one point, the two combined to down the football at the 1-yard line.
  • Gunner Olszewski, J.J. Taylor and Damiere Byrd saw action both as kickoff returners and punt returners. Kyle Dugger also ran back kickoffs, with Isaiah Zuber joining the punt return group.
Miscellaneous

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Training Camp Central: 9/18/2020

Tom Curran and Phil Perry...........Today was Tom's turn to be on the field.

Overall..........

Belichick continually told players from April until camp started, be in the bext physical shape possible when you get to camp. There will be no excuses accepted.

BB put the team to the test. Everyone started with stretching and the coaches were roaring about not cheating because they would only be cheating themselves and their their team mates. The humor was serious as it was said that every man covered every square inch of the practice field. Everyone got a taste of Belichick's newest idea.

Then cam "HELL". At the far corner of the field is a 45 degree ramp that's twenty five yards long and has been named by the players as "The Hill". Everyone did 20 minutes on the hill and coaches were counting reps.

Then came a solid hour of 'Oklahoma Drill' which is full speed one on one blocking and tackling for everyone except QBs and WRs and they were on the sidelines doing full speed run and catch.

BB gave them five to relax and then came the 7 on7 and 11 on 11 drills.

Belichick told the team that this team will be the best 'football conditioned' team in his entire career and that they best be prepared to be part of that team.

Quarterback - Stidham had three INTs and two of them were back to back. Curran said it reminded him of Jimmy Garrapollo trying squeeze the ball into places that Brady would even consider. Curran then said, "Brady and JG never had to practice against the best secondary in the NFL and the defensive player of the year. Cam Newton made no mistakes but did nothing at all out of the ordinary. Brian Hoyer is getting more reps and is competing for the starting spot that he had been given little consideration about.

Julian Edelman ws out for the stretching and then went to see the trainers. he left the field and didn't come back.

Wide Receivers - The remainder of the programs concentrated on the receivers. Without Edelman on the field, there flash and dash seemed to disapper. There's no question as Curran so aptly put it, "Julian Edelman is truly the straw that stirs the drink. Even when Gronkowski was here, Edelman was the spark that started this team moving." N'Keal Harry seems much more comfortable running routes and moving in patterns. Not having Brady call him out when a pass wasn't caught or was thrown to an area where Harry wasn't seems to allow him to move more confidently. He hasn't muffed a pass yet. Jakoby Meyers seems to be struggling and has dropped a few easy catches. If he doesn't get that corrected, there are guys who will move past him. Devon Ross is stealing the show by making every QB look good on every downfield pass. he's made great catches of 75,55 and 45 yards. He's becoming a favorite target. Mohamed Sanu looks great and running better than any time since he arrive in 2019. It took ankle surgery to fix the problem and from all that he's shown, the surgery was 110% successful. Gunner Olsewski is back and has done well returning punts and kickoffs. He's also getting time in the slot and looks good. Damiere Byrd has run hot and cold and his experience gives him some wiggle room, but not much. Isiah Zuber is making an impression as the kickoff returner and reminds people a little bit of Coradell Patterson only Zuber is four inches shorter.

As I sai yesterday, it appars that most of the concentration will be on the quarterbacks. Right now, this is how it looks:

1. Cam Newton. Experience. MVP. Talent. Size. Has to check down constantly.
2. Jarrett Stidham. Arm strength. Accuracy. Knows the system cold. No game experience.
3. Brian Hoyer. Knows the system. Experience as back up and starter. Confidence. Not a great game QB.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots have signed Tight Ends Alex Ellis and Paul Butler

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I copied the URL for the video and the one came through is not what I saw or copied...Sorry.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I apologize for not being here yesterday. I got up at 5:00 am and woke my grandson. We had loaded the MKT and his car Wednesday night and we picked up his mother at 5:30 am. We drove to his school ready for an 6:30 am move in. We were the first to arrive. They checked the partial Covid results lest and he wasn't on it. Quest Diagnostics had signed a contract to do 4000 Rapid result Covid tests and the tests were Fedex'd to every student and Fedex agreed to pick up a completed test within 60 minutes of a call. Quest was delayed in getting the tests out and most students didn't get them until Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. We got my grandson's on Tuesday at 5:00 pm and Fedex picked it up at 5:32 after we carefully followed directions. Anyway, he couldn't be admitted until he had certification that he was negative. My daughter drove him one hundred miles and stood in line for three hours and waited while he was swabbed and the tested evaluated and a certification printed. It cost me $160 for the test. Then a hundred mile drive back to school to get his ID and room key. When we got to his room his room mate had moved in because his mother is a pusher and did the school test and then paid a doctor to do a one day test. He moved the room around and put all of his stuff on the side opposite of the door and in front of all of the windows. We did a drawing of how the room should be so that they both have equal access. His room mate is four inches shorter and 20 lbs lighter. I'm pretty sure the room will be changed around when I bring up the stuff that he "needs" and the hoodie that he split coffee on yesterday. I got back home last night at 8:30 pm.

Here's the kick in the nuts.........Quest is backed up and they had done one test for the school. 700 people were turned away. Quest said that they will prioritize the school tests and have at least a 1000 results to the school by 8:00 this morning.The students who have done everything and moved in are being bombarded by kids who can't get results and are standing by the rules because they don't want anyone infected in the dorms. There's a boatload of money being offered and every penny is being refused. Idiots......Your kid doesn't have a room keyor an ID and can't get in or out of the dorm or buy anything on campus. Getting him or her moved in might get them into their room only if their room mate got in and will let them in.

What happens if a kid is positive? The school has decided not to send the kid home and bought a huge house about 10 miles off campus and have made it medically staffed. Positive students will be sent to the house for 14 days quarantine and classes will be either online or lectures recorded.

Anyway...............Training camp report to follow.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I apologize for not being here yesterday. I got up at 5:00 am and woke my grandson. We had loaded the MKT and his car Wednesday night and we picked up his mother at 5:30 am. We drove to his school ready for an 6:30 am move in. We were the first to arrive. They checked the partial Covid results lest and he wasn't on it. Quest Diagnostics had signed a contract to do 4000 Rapid result Covid tests and the tests were Fedex'd to every student and Fedex agreed to pick up a completed test within 60 minutes of a call. Quest was delayed in getting the tests out and most students didn't get them until Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. We got my grandson's on Tuesday at 5:00 pm and Fedex picked it up at 5:32 after we carefully followed directions. Anyway, he couldn't be admitted until he had certification that he was negative. My daughter drove him one hundred miles and stood in line for three hours and waited while he was swabbed and the tested evaluated and a certification printed. It cost me $160 for the test. Then a hundred mile drive back to school to get his ID and room key. When we got to his room his room mate had moved in because his mother is a pusher and did the school test and then paid a doctor to do a one day test. He moved the room around and put all of his stuff on the side opposite of the door and in front of all of the windows. We did a drawing of how the room should be so that they both have equal access. His room mate is four inches shorter and 20 lbs lighter. I'm pretty sure the room will be changed around when I bring up the stuff that he "needs" and the hoodie that he split coffee on yesterday. I got back home last night at 8:30 pm.

Here's the kick in the nuts.........Quest is backed up and they had done one test for the school. 700 people were turned away. Quest said that they will prioritize the school tests and have at least a 1000 results to the school by 8:00 this morning.The students who have done everything and moved in are being bombarded by kids who can't get results and are standing by the rules because they don't want anyone infected in the dorms. There's a boatload of money being offered and every penny is being refused. Idiots......Your kid doesn't have a room keyor an ID and can't get in or out of the dorm or buy anything on campus. Getting him or her moved in might get them into their room only if their room mate got in and will let them in.

What happens if a kid is positive? The school has decided not to send the kid home and bought a huge house about 10 miles off campus and have made it medically staffed. Positive students will be sent to the house for 14 days quarantine and classes will be either online or lectures recorded.

Thanks BK

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm no advocate of solving solutions with force, but that roommate needs a beating.... Selfish prick. Stupid too, like nobody would notice the bullshit.

I can't stand the "I got here first mentality". Sure the early bird gets the worm, but not the right to be king.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C00DF1CC-6AEC-4FA8-B6F0-2476BB2E620A.jpeg

Not sure how true this is? Haven’t seen or heard anything else about it.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Training Camp Update for Friday 8/21/2020

BB and his staff pushed the conditioning drills to start camp at 9:30 am on Thursday.

The team was broken into positional units. Then came the 4 on 4 and 8 on 8. Finally 11 on 11.

Odd what a difference a day makes. Cam Newton got the majority of the snaps after three days of an equal spread among the quarterbacks. Brian Hoyer got the second most and Jarett Stidham only go six and was intercepted twice. That gives Stidham 7 INTs in the fist four days of camp. But wait just a minute.......From all persepectives, Josh McDaniel seemed to be more involved with Stidham which made an observer go back and look to see if he had been that involved with Newton and Hoyer. The answer is no. That forces the observer to go back and look at all of the throws that have been recorded. Here's where the problem lies. Media has been filming the QBs throwing passes and quickly switching to the receiver who catches the ball. Seems that, according to some of the more observant media that Stidham is being asked to test his accuracy and arm strength against multiple defenders shile Cam and Brian are playing straight. So from all points, Cam got 18 snaps and was 11 for 18 with 1 INT. Hoyer was 6 for 11 no INT and Stidham was 3 for 6 with no INT. For three days it was it's just traning camp. After Thursday, Cam is #1. FRiday morning:::::Stidham is dealing with an unknown and unspecified injury. Camp on Friday will be a bit easier and everyone gets Saturday off to rest and get their sore muscles massaged.

Some interesting thoughts from the cheap seats:

Gunner Olswezki has put on about 15-20 lbs of muscle and spent a tremendous amount of time with a track coach working on his foot speed and bust. ST coach has been very impressed. Gunner is also settling into a shadow role for JE11.

A totally unknown UDFA CB named Myles Bryant has been giving WRs fits. He's made two INTs and has been a physical pain in the ass. Here's the funny part.....He's officially 5'9" 185 lbs. Belichick loves this guy's attitude.

Kyle Dugger has pretty much taken the strong safety position for himself. No one is even coming close to his attitude or action. Supposedly BB made a comment to Steve Belichock that Dugger looked like "Rodney".

Chase Winovich appears to have moved into the spot that was vacated when Van Noy departed. He's been the voice that is barking out a a lot of the coverages while Ja'Whaun Bentley is calling the defense. Anfernee Jennings is also settling in. Josh Uche has been the defensive star of camp. The kids from 2019 and 2020 just might be taking over the linebacker positions.

Damien Harris is starting to take the RB position and "run" with it. He has shown that he has much more power than Michel and can break tackles at the line and get two or three yards every time. Sony's days as a starter may be numbered.

Some not so good stuff::::

Mohamed Sanu has looked terrible. The foot surgery helped his movement and cutting but he's lost more than a step. He's hasn't had many drops but he cannot separate at all from defensive backs. He may be in serious trouble. This trade has yet to look good.

N'Keal Harry has not been on the field for two days. No explanations, no one can find out why. Don't know if it's sickness or injury. This man has to start sucking it up and show us why BB thought he was worth a first round draft pick. Injury in 19 and couldn't get on the same page with TB12. 20 Should be a year for him to shine like a diamond in sunlight.

JJ Taylor at 5'6" 185 lbs just can't play the RB position in the NFL. The guy has balls the size of cantaloupes when it comes to punt returns and so far has hands that appear to made of Gorilla Glue. He's starting to keep up with Justin Bethel, who's also been spectacular as a slot and 6th or 7th DB, and Matthew Slater on Kick coverage.

Cuts may start next Friday 8/26 or even before.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Training Camp Update for Friday 8/21/2020

BB and his staff pushed the conditioning drills to start camp at 9:30 am on Thursday.

The team was broken into positional units. Then came the 4 on 4 and 8 on 8. Finally 11 on 11.

Odd what a difference a day makes. Cam Newton got the majority of the snaps after three days of an equal spread among the quarterbacks. Brian Hoyer got the second most and Jarett Stidham only go six and was intercepted twice. That gives Stidham 7 INTs in the fist four days of camp. But wait just a minute.......From all persepectives, Josh McDaniel seemed to be more involved with Stidham which made an observer go back and look to see if he had been that involved with Newton and Hoyer. The answer is no. That forces the observer to go back and look at all of the throws that have been recorded. Here's where the problem lies. Media has been filming the QBs throwing passes and quickly switching to the receiver who catches the ball. Seems that, according to some of the more observant media that Stidham is being asked to test his accuracy and arm strength against multiple defenders shile Cam and Brian are playing straight. So from all points, Cam got 18 snaps and was 11 for 18 with 1 INT. Hoyer was 6 for 11 no INT and Stidham was 3 for 6 with no INT. For three days it was it's just traning camp. After Thursday, Cam is #1. FRiday morning:::::Stidham is dealing with an unknown and unspecified injury. Camp on Friday will be a bit easier and everyone gets Saturday off to rest and get their sore muscles massaged.

Some interesting thoughts from the cheap seats:

Gunner Olswezki has put on about 15-20 lbs of muscle and spent a tremendous amount of time with a track coach working on his foot speed and bust. ST coach has been very impressed. Gunner is also settling into a shadow role for JE11.

A totally unknown UDFA CB named Myles Bryant has been giving WRs fits. He's made two INTs and has been a physical pain in the ass. Here's the funny part.....He's officially 5'9" 185 lbs. Belichick loves this guy's attitude.

Kyle Dugger has pretty much taken the strong safety position for himself. No one is even coming close to his attitude or action. Supposedly BB made a comment to Steve Belichock that Dugger looked like "Rodney".

Chase Winovich appears to have moved into the spot that was vacated when Van Noy departed. He's been the voice that is barking out a a lot of the coverages while Ja'Whaun Bentley is calling the defense. Anfernee Jennings is also settling in. Josh Uche has been the defensive star of camp. The kids from 2019 and 2020 just might be taking over the linebacker positions.

Damien Harris is starting to take the RB position and "run" with it. He has shown that he has much more power than Michel and can break tackles at the line and get two or three yards every time. Sony's days as a starter may be numbered.

Some not so good stuff::::

Mohamed Sanu has looked terrible. The foot surgery helped his movement and cutting but he's lost more than a step. He's hasn't had many drops but he cannot separate at all from defensive backs. He may be in serious trouble. This trade has yet to look good.

N'Keal Harry has not been on the field for two days. No explanations, no one can find out why. Don't know if it's sickness or injury. This man has to start sucking it up and show us why BB thought he was worth a first round draft pick. Injury in 19 and couldn't get on the same page with TB12. 20 Should be a year for him to shine like a diamond in sunlight.

JJ Taylor at 5'6" 185 lbs just can't play the RB position in the NFL. The guy has balls the size of cantaloupes when it comes to punt returns and so far has hands that appear to made of Gorilla Glue. He's starting to keep up with Justin Bethel, who's also been spectacular as a slot and 6th or 7th DB, and Matthew Slater on Kick coverage.

Cuts may start next Friday 8/26 or even before.
Thanks Ken for the report and hope your grandson gets settled without more B.S.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't stand the "I got here first mentality". Sure the early bird gets the worm, but not the right to be king.

K convinced him last night That the room needs to be redesigned. I wasn't a witness but he said that he slept well and Max was more than agreeable after about ten seconds when K took off his shirt to go take a shower. K told me that a couple of girls in the shower were pretty friendly. EVERYTHING is Gender shared. I told him to drop his towel accidentally in front of the best looking girl in the shower.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jared Stitham leg injury. Going light work but on the field.
I wanted to see him do well but next man up.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the weekend. Saturday 8/22/2020

Friday was a no pads, helmet and shorts practice as BB had a slow down day.
Again, conditioning was the primary endeavor to start. Players seem to be embracing it more because they understand what BB is trying to accomplish. The article below has great photos at the end of it.

Training camp blogservations: Pats slow things down

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-22_8-15-39.gif
    upload_2020-8-22_8-15-39.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 1

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3908BFD8-891C-48F7-AF89-7E75E75A81BD.jpeg

Not looking good. We needed a kicker. Coach B selects one that wasn’t even ranked in the top 10 by the so called experts. Glad we signed/going to sign Nick Foles

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 251519

Not looking good. We needed a kicker. Coach B selects one that wasn’t even ranked in the top 10 by the so called experts. Glad we signed/going to sign Nick Foles

Not looking good so far. We dont have enough information but what we do know - we are signing Nick Folk.....

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of a sudden BB ignored the top 10 kickers. The truth is that the kickers available pretty much sucked. BB has a had a pretty decent record drafting PKs. Vinatieri, Gostkowski and they carried the team for nearly20 years.
Too many of these guys today are warm weather, artificial field kickers. Get in real weather on real grass and suddenly kicking is much more difficult. Some can adjust, others cannot. Rohrwasser wasn't bad in college, but he certainly wasn't great.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it appears Cam is, as expected the top QB at camp so far. I had really hoped for a better showing from Stidham a part of me is really pulling the kid.