• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Training Camp stuff

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either an amateur move by Taylor in speaking to the media yesterday about Chase practicing and playing in week 1, or a dick move by Chase hanging Taylor out to dry. I like Chase. I generally take the players side on contracts.... But, I haven't been a big fan of this situation. I'm not sure what makes him so special that we're afraid to fine him or to not use our own leverage at our disposal. We control his rights for 4 years.... We act like we owe him something. These are the types of things that can erode confidence and trust in a coach.
Yeah - usually I'm for contracts - I mean, I've said for a bit now - get it done as long as it includes the 5th year option as a part of the extension (so 4 year that starts in 2026)...and even said that if he's wanting more than Jefferson - I just don't see it. I'd setting at a hair below Jefferson at $34.5 a year and give him the same guaranteed money.

Jefferson just signed his deal....so it's not like it's a year later and Chase is wanting more, which then I could at least reason...he's wanting to be #1 - but as Crash has pointed out, and I do agree with, he's not #1....He certainly shouldn't be holding it all down for $160, which is well more than Jefferson.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition - Bengals move McKinley-Jackson to the IR-Return list...so he's out 4 weeks.

I think Tufele is an adequate backup guy at NT, and I think they've signed another NT to the PS - so they should be covered. A rotation of Rankins, Hill, Jenkins and Tufele/Carter is not bad...

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a reminder - you get to designate 2 players to return from IR prior to final 53, and then receive an additional 6 slots after the final 53 - for a total of 8 slots. Bengals use one of those remaining 6 on McKinley-Jackson...so have 5 more IR-Return designations to use.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition - Bengals move McKinley-Jackson to the IR-Return list...so he's out 4 weeks.

I think Tufele is an adequate backup guy at NT, and I think they've signed another NT to the PS - so they should be covered. A rotation of Rankins, Hill, Jenkins and Tufele/Carter is not bad...
I'm particularly not too worried about the first 4 weeks. Only one good team in there, KC, and they aren't going to run the ball 35 times against us. I think the real test for our run D will come in weeks 5, 7, and 8 - Bmore, Cleveland, and Philly. If we fixed some of the issues from last year, these are the games it will show up.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm particularly not too worried about the first 4 weeks. Only one good team in there, KC, and they aren't going to run the ball 35 times against us. I think the real test for our run D will come in weeks 5, 7, and 8 - Bmore, Cleveland, and Philly. If we fixed some of the issues from last year, these are the games it will show up.
I will also hold that a big part of the run issues last year was also the youth in the secondary. A lot of missed assignments. A lot of broken containment. Of course, they were hurt up front, as well - so hopefully that works better with Rankins/Jenkins/Hill. I think having more athleticism along the line will not only help in the run game, but allow those same guys to aid in the pass-rush, which was also lacking up the middle last year.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will also hold that a big part of the run issues last year was also the youth in the secondary. A lot of missed assignments. A lot of broken containment. Of course, they were hurt up front, as well - so hopefully that works better with Rankins/Jenkins/Hill. I think having more athleticism along the line will not only help in the run game, but allow those same guys to aid in the pass-rush, which was also lacking up the middle last year.
There will also be a big spotlight on the linebackers. They didn't play as well last year. For Pratt, I think if he has an off year, he'll be cut next offseason. In 2025, he's due to make more than 5 million with only a 2 million dead cap charge. He's definitely playing for his next deal at this point and he'll need to get back to making plays.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will also be a big spotlight on the linebackers. They didn't play as well last year. For Pratt, I think if he has an off year, he'll be cut next offseason. In 2025, he's due to make more than 5 million with only a 2 million dead cap charge. He's definitely playing for his next deal at this point and he'll need to get back to making plays.
Agreed.

I think the defense as a whole struggled. Even Hilton in the slot had a bad year - but he said something that stuck with me. To paraphrase - due to a lot of the youth on that team last year in the secondary, he found himself trying to do too much and make too many plays. I think the entire defense probably felt this to some degree - and you saw guys consistently trying to do too much and it hurt them more than helped them.

I think getting the communication down in the secondary, the return of Bell, and the addition of Stone - but the added experience of last year is going to allow the secondary to stand on its own this year, and that is going to free up the rest of the defense to focus on their jobs and not worry about trying to cover for others.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The #Bengals practice squad currently:CB Nate BrooksWR Cole BurgessOT Devin CochranCB Jalen DavisS PJ JulesWR Shedrick Jackson DT Domenique DavisLB Shaka HeywardOC Trey HillTE Cam GrandyQB Logan WoodsideWR Kendric PryorRB Kendall MiltonG Tashawn ManningDT Justin RogersDE Isaiah Thomas

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read a report that Chase wants one penny more than Jefferson. I think we're officially in silly season for the media as Chase is not talking and it's impossible to verify anything coming out of the media types that are generally doing someone else's bidding. Regardless, if this is true, it's a ridiculous demand. Chase was a better player than Jefferson in college. Jefferson has been a better pro - I don't think this can be debated. Even with worse QB play, Jefferson has put up better numbers and been more important to his offense. I think Chase has the talent to be the best in the league, but he hasn't delivered on it yet. It would also be absurd because Jefferson signed his deal with only 1 year remaining - Chase has two years remaining.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read a report that Chase wants one penny more than Jefferson. I think we're officially in silly season for the media as Chase is not talking and it's impossible to verify anything coming out of the media types that are generally doing someone else's bidding. Regardless, if this is true, it's a ridiculous demand. Chase was a better player than Jefferson in college. Jefferson has been a better pro - I don't think this can be debated. Even with worse QB play, Jefferson has put up better numbers and been more important to his offense. I think Chase has the talent to be the best in the league, but he hasn't delivered on it yet. It would also be absurd because Jefferson signed his deal with only 1 year remaining - Chase has two years remaining.
I did the breakdown between the 2 on another post....they are close, but Jefferson has been better.

That being said - I think there's some reasonable reasons why Jefferson has been better from a yards perspective...he's been THE WR for that team. Chase came in when Boyd was still good and Higgins was already here. Burrow spreads the ball around because he can. The Bengals also use Chase differently than Vikings use Jefferson. Their yards per route/reception show this.

While Jefferson has more yards (projecting through 4 years for Chase since he only has 3 years to Jeffersons' 4) Chase already has more TD, more broken tackles, and some other advance stats that favor Chase over Jefferson.

I don't think it's as ridiculous as some may think for Chase to just want to beat Jefferson by $.01. I mean, honestly - if that is what it takes....I'm fine with it. In 2-3 years - it just won't matter.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did the breakdown between the 2 on another post....they are close, but Jefferson has been better.

That being said - I think there's some reasonable reasons why Jefferson has been better from a yards perspective...he's been THE WR for that team. Chase came in when Boyd was still good and Higgins was already here. Burrow spreads the ball around because he can. The Bengals also use Chase differently than Vikings use Jefferson. Their yards per route/reception show this.

While Jefferson has more yards (projecting through 4 years for Chase since he only has 3 years to Jeffersons' 4) Chase already has more TD, more broken tackles, and some other advance stats that favor Chase over Jefferson.

I don't think it's as ridiculous as some may think for Chase to just want to beat Jefferson by $.01. I mean, honestly - if that is what it takes....I'm fine with it. In 2-3 years - it just won't matter.
I think Burrow's injuries last year really cloud some of the major issues. In many ways you could argue that Ja'Marr's rookie season was his best. But truthfully, he's made a ton of improvements to his all-around game, which could become a big weapon if the coaches continue to move him all over the field. I just don't think he was able to show a bunch of this last year because of Burrow's limitations and then his injury. But, because this happened, it's sort of left the impression that Chase hasn't shown great improvement in his game from rookie year until now. As I said before, I think his talent is potentially the top of the league - But I also don't think we've seen his highest level yet and I'm getting impatient because it's that level that would take this offense to the top.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Burrow's injuries last year really cloud some of the major issues. In many ways you could argue that Ja'Marr's rookie season was his best. But truthfully, he's made a ton of improvements to his all-around game, which could become a big weapon if the coaches continue to move him all over the field. I just don't think he was able to show a bunch of this last year because of Burrow's limitations and then his injury. But, because this happened, it's sort of left the impression that Chase hasn't shown great improvement in his game from rookie year until now. As I said before, I think his talent is potentially the top of the league - But I also don't think we've seen his highest level yet and I'm getting impatient because it's that level that would take this offense to the top.
Good points about the Burrow injury.

If you'll recall - I had a great disdain over the past 2 years for how LITTLE they've used Chase going over the middle....and then his best games have come when he's been used all over the field.

Taylor has tried to make him Jefferson, which he is not...and that's OK. What Chase is - is more like Steve Smith. Dude is hella strong, can separate and run any route - and that leads to, often times, his best routes actually being middle-in routes where he can separate, break tackles and show what he can do.

The deep ball will always be there, but currently teams want to bubble him - and Burrow then goes elsewhere - instead of finding ways to get him the ball more, at many junctures, it seems like they use Chase almost as a decoy - sprint him down field, and then let Burrow distribute the ball. That's all well and good, but ultimately - they have to find ways to get the ball to Chase more than not....and in many games, the scheme in the past just didn't do that.