• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Training Camp stuff

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trey Hill released...clears up the OL picture, IMO -

Brown, Volson, Karras, Cappa, Brown are your likely opening Day starters.

Mims, Lee, Kirkland, and Ford are your 4 backups with Mims clearly the OT, Kirland the swing guy at OT/OG, Lee the #2 C, and Ford the primary IOL.

They'll probably hit hard to add another OL to the PS, maybe 2. While I think Mims will be fine in another week, or two...Brown still has that history and already has a creaky back...would be good to ensure you have at least enough for backups on gameday ready to go.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more than Jefferson, and his 5th year stays in tact...don't care about the franchise year because that doesn't count unless we had to exercise it. If we get to the offseason, and he is the #1 WR in the NFL this year with his production, then I can deal with $36 million IF he is able to produce as the best WR in the league.
I don't disagree with your take. I do want to point out that Chase is, maybe, a little bit closer to Jefferson than you might think he is:

Now, some of this is projected out because Jefferson has 4 years and Chase just 3...so, this is assuming that Chase hits his averages over the 1st 3 years...with that, they are expected to start/play in roughly the same amount of games through 4 years (60 games).

Receptions - would just be 40 receptions under Jefferson through 4 years. Makes a bit of sense when you realize that Chase has had better WR's to split time with on the field, and with how Burrow spreads the ball around comped to Jefferson who has been the only real threat.

Now, he would finish with about 900 yards less - which is a good chunk. Chase would need to have a really good season to catch up and even then, maybe not. Again, this offense does spread the ball around a bit more, especially looking at this year with Higgins, Yoshi, Burton, Gesicki, All...going to have a lot of options.

Chase already has 29 TD's...in 3 years. Jefferson has 30 in 4. Chase is going to surpass this.

Catch% is pretty close with Chase at almost 66% and Jefferson at 68%

Another good stat is that Chase is running shorter routes, he's averaging about 7.8 yards before reception, where Jefferson is running deeper routes at 10.4 YBR. However, Chase has a better Yards after Catch at 6.1 to 4.6 - so Chase is getting more after the catch. Jefferson has broken 22 tackles in 4 years. Chase has broken 24 in 3...so he's proving to be more elusive after the catch. Chase does lead in dropped passes by a pretty large margin - so there is that to consider: 27-15.

Point being Jefferson is the better WR, but I don't think it's crazy to say that Chase is pretty damned close - I think you could split between Lamb's deal and Jefferson's deal...some how, some way - and that would be a nice middle spot, IMO - and I think in line with your thinking.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carl Lawson released from Dallas...

With Murphy's injury - I would 100% kick the tires here as a guy you can bring in behind Hendrickson in a backup-rush role. Allows you to IR Murphy and give him plenty of time to get 100% before returning.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carl Lawson released from Dallas...

With Murphy's injury - I would 100% kick the tires here as a guy you can bring in behind Hendrickson in a backup-rush role. Allows you to IR Murphy and give him plenty of time to get 100% before returning.
I'd kick the tires on a small deal, but I'm not sure what you're getting. He's been banged up his entire career and even when healthy he doesn't provide much pass rush. But, I do agree that we probably need a veteran back-up while Murphy recovers.

This reminds me..... Remember when the Bengals front office was criticized for replacing Lawson and Jackson with Hendrickson and Chido? LOL.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I know this might be a fool me twice sort of deal, but I'm really fired up for a big Joseph Ossai season. He's finally made it through a preseason healthy and ready to go. And, if he has a big season, he is going to get overpaid somewhere else. I think he is going to come charging out of the gate. I have high hopes.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things happen after cut-down day, so nothing is certain..... But currently the Bengals are rostering 10 rookies. That is a lot of rookies for a team that is a contender. Maybe they are learning some lessons from the Chiefs - KC patched some holes by letting some overpriced veteran talent walk and then relied on rookie draft picks playing bigger roles. It will be interesting to see how this works out for the Bengals, a team that rarely relies much on rookie contributors.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd kick the tires on a small deal, but I'm not sure what you're getting. He's been banged up his entire career and even when healthy he doesn't provide much pass rush. But, I do agree that we probably need a veteran back-up while Murphy recovers.

This reminds me..... Remember when the Bengals front office was criticized for replacing Lawson and Jackson with Hendrickson and Chido? LOL.
He has had the injury bug, but prior to last year he did play in 15 and 17 games registering 5.5 and 7 sacks.

As a matter of fact, in a 6 year career - he's only had 2 seasons cut drastically short by injuries...

He would be what he is - an experienced veteran who can provide depth until Murphy is ready to return. He would likely be signed for the vet minimum or there abouts...not a full-time answer at this point in his career, but a chance to rotate with Hubbard/Hendrickson and used on pure passing downs could provide a nice ideal for him and the Bengals.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things happen after cut-down day, so nothing is certain..... But currently the Bengals are rostering 10 rookies. That is a lot of rookies for a team that is a contender. Maybe they are learning some lessons from the Chiefs - KC patched some holes by letting some overpriced veteran talent walk and then relied on rookie draft picks playing bigger roles. It will be interesting to see how this works out for the Bengals, a team that rarely relies much on rookie contributors.
Agreed, but when you go through the list - you can see a plan for every guy. Not only that, but despite being a contender - the Bengals are set up very well at most starting AND backup spots where you would expect to see some of the rookies be able to take a back-seat for this year.

Mims will start this year.
Jenkins will be a key rotational guy at DT
Burton will eventually work his way into a rotational role at WR
McKinnley Jackson - will be a rotational guy at NT in key situations/run downs/goal line
Eric All will end up being TE2 by years end (Sample not really counting here as the primary blocking TE) behind Gesicki and likely future starter.
Newton will be the future Nickle DB - he'll get deployed some this year, but he's a long-term depth piece
McLachlan - will be the future TE2 rotating with All - he was the 1 guy in this draft you didn't know if they could afford to keep as a 5th TE, but there was 0% chance of making the PS...so you keep him.
Cedric Johnson had a hell of a camp/pre-season and will be a primary backup guy, especially with Sample and Murphy going down
Daijahn Anthony is a 4th Safety, depth and ST guy
Matt Lee - #2 C - will get a lot of experience this year but likely won't see a ton of time on the actual field. Karras has 2 years left - which is great for Lee to work his way into being the future #1 C.

I think what it comes down to is that for most of the 40-45 key positions - these guys are going to be in the back end of those rotational pieces - you can afford then to keep a few guys maybe you normally wouldn't because positions 45-53....are Meh...you drafted these guys for a reason, so hopefully you keep them on the roster, and in a year - or two - they become what you need them to be.

I think this kind of potential youth is a really good move for the Bengals because, again, they are pretty solid at positions 1-22 in starters and most key/primary backups are veterans as well...this has allowed them to usher in more youth on the back end, but also allow that youth time to grow without being thrust into needing them in a major role right away.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To add - the Bengals are not overly relying on many of these guys to play significant snaps right away. Mims and Jenkins, but they were round 1 and 2 picks. Johnson may play more than planned due to some injuries - but we'll see if the Bengals add here in the next few days. The rest of the guys are primary backup guys who likely won't see a ton of time, but will have opportunity to be worked into a role - gain experience - and be ready to contribute either later this year, or down the road.

Bengals are in an envious position with this draft class being as good (so far) as it was, and being able to actually keep them all but not overly rely on any of them outside the ones you would expect to contribute early due to drafting position(s).

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has had the injury bug, but prior to last year he did play in 15 and 17 games registering 5.5 and 7 sacks.

As a matter of fact, in a 6 year career - he's only had 2 seasons cut drastically short by injuries...

He would be what he is - an experienced veteran who can provide depth until Murphy is ready to return. He would likely be signed for the vet minimum or there abouts...not a full-time answer at this point in his career, but a chance to rotate with Hubbard/Hendrickson and used on pure passing downs could provide a nice ideal for him and the Bengals.
You are missing 2021 in there when he missed the entire season. He had 5.5 sacks with us in 2020, missed 2021 due to injury, had 7 sacks in 2022 and basically missed most of 2023.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are missing 2021 in there when he missed the entire season. He had 5.5 sacks with us in 2020, missed 2021 due to injury, had 7 sacks in 2022 and basically missed most of 2023.
Ok, so 50%...he's the Joe Burrow of DE's...LOL

At any rate - as an experienced guy who does have some history of being a decent pass-rusher....I'd kick the tires. It's not going to be ideal no matter who you bring in at this point....all of the available guys are going to be guys who weren't good enough to make the roster of their previous team(s).

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals make 1 claim - DE KJ Henry out of Clemson. Waived by Washington. Had a solid pre-season, and adds more DE depth.

Question becomes - who moves off the 53 to make room.

This preseason, Henry played well. His win rate ballooned to 20.8% with 10 pressures on 51 pass rush attempts. He had a 79.8 pass rush grade.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have 5 tight ends

I would have to believe they thought one of them would be injured by now
Well, I think they weren't sure about All - and Lachlan was going to be a project. All came around faster than they might have anticipated, and that forced their hand a bit. They feel that All and Lachlan are the TE1/TE2 (With Sample as default TE1 as the blocker) looking ahead to next year...

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals cut RB Williams to make room for the new DE.

Just two RB leads me to believe they will either try to add him to the PS, or they will add a veteran RB to the PS...

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams will be going to the PS and be a game-day call up. Makes sense here, and nothing really lost.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chase not practicing again.

my guess is the agent keeps reminding him if he gets injured, he doesn't get the big contract.

I have a hard time believing he will skip out on game money, regardless of outside advise.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chase not practicing again.

my guess is the agent keeps reminding him if he gets injured, he doesn't get the big contract.

I have a hard time believing he will skip out on game money, regardless of outside advise.
Either an amateur move by Taylor in speaking to the media yesterday about Chase practicing and playing in week 1, or a dick move by Chase hanging Taylor out to dry. I like Chase. I generally take the players side on contracts.... But, I haven't been a big fan of this situation. I'm not sure what makes him so special that we're afraid to fine him or to not use our own leverage at our disposal. We control his rights for 4 years.... We act like we owe him something. These are the types of things that can erode confidence and trust in a coach.