• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Training Camp stuff

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals offered Higgins in the 20's and he flatly turned it down...

Your own arguments do not support your talking points....your disdain for the #40 and Chase are clouding your judgement...
Please find me an article or reference that says Higgins turned down an offer from the Bengals with the value inlaid.

All I remember is the Bengals offering Higgins less than $20 million per year. It wasn't even in the $20 million a year range. So I understand him rejecting that.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please find me an article or reference that says Higgins turned down an offer from the Bengals with the value inlaid.
Regardless...of whether I can, or cannot - You are willing to pay a WR who is in the mid-20's of tier 1 WR's...$30M....but can't seem to think that a top 5 guy is worth $40. That makes ZERO sense. You say Chase isn't worth $40, but Higgins is worth $30 and they are, at least, 15, if not 20, spots apart...

This is my last reply - you have your view - it's wrong ;) but it's your view....

Moving on...

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless...of whether I can, or cannot - You are willing to pay a WR who is in the mid-20's of tier 1 WR's...$30M....but can't seem to think that a top 5 guy is worth $40. That makes ZERO sense. You say Chase isn't worth $40, but Higgins is worth $30 and they are, at least, 15, if not 20, spots apart...

This is my last reply - you have your view - it's wrong ;) but it's your view....

Moving on...
You keep assuming I am suggesting $30 million, and I am not. Higgins is not worth being paid in the top 5 players at his position. Now, if you look at $24-$25 million per year, you are getting closer to where his talent level with cap is worth. The #1 WR in the world just set the top of the market by quite a bit at $35 million a year, and he has been by far the best in the league for several years. He only set that mark by 2 to 3 million a year.

Now you have a guy who is probably top 5 even though he has not had the seasons other top 5 WR's have had. He wants to reset the market immediately after it was set by an additional $5 million dollars. So within a year span we are resetting the WR market by 10-12 million dollars a year?

Because my view doesn't line up with your opinion, doesn't make it wrong, it makes it different. This is the problem with our political landscape and media right now. People are mistaking opinion for facts, and they just simply are not. I am not saying you are wrong, you just have your point of view and that is cool. Personally, I am rooting for Mike Brown to pinch those pennies a little more here and to tell Chase to go fuck himself. Will that happen? Probably not, and I am going to root for the Bengals regardless and I will be happy when we score a TD even with Chase. But I think this is a franchise killer / game killer contract and owners need to put a stop to it.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep assuming I am suggesting $30 million, and I am not. Higgins is not worth being paid in the top 5 players at his position. Now, if you look at $24-$25 million per year, you are getting closer to where his talent level with cap is worth. The #1 WR in the world just set the top of the market by quite a bit at $35 million a year, and he has been by far the best in the league for several years. He only set that mark by 2 to 3 million a year.

Now you have a guy who is probably top 5 even though he has not had the seasons other top 5 WR's have had. He wants to reset the market immediately after it was set by an additional $5 million dollars. So within a year span we are resetting the WR market by 10-12 million dollars a year?

Because my view doesn't line up with your opinion, doesn't make it wrong, it makes it different. This is the problem with our political landscape and media right now. People are mistaking opinion for facts, and they just simply are not. I am not saying you are wrong, you just have your point of view and that is cool. Personally, I am rooting for Mike Brown to pinch those pennies a little more here and to tell Chase to go fuck himself. Will that happen? Probably not, and I am going to root for the Bengals regardless and I will be happy when we score a TD even with Chase. But I think this is a franchise killer / game killer contract and owners need to put a stop to it.
Well, it took 163 posts, but finally, someone had to bring up politics.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In more encouraging news that we can all celebrate, Jackson Carman has been cut.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good. No comp. I hate Jamar Chase, and I hope the Bengals don't resign him. Fair enough?
Anchorman GIF

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In more encouraging news that we can all celebrate, Jackson Carman has been cut.
It's the end of an era. I'll remember that one time he played well in a playoff game and that will probably be the highlight of his career.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All joking aside, the Brown family still knows how to play the propoganda game. I think they intentionally leaked that story to make Chase's salary requests seem unreasonable. It might be working as some of our fans are turning against him.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and while we're talking contracts, the coaching staff is busy figuring out a way to justify playing Trent Irwin 25 snaps a game while Jermaine Burton models clothing from the proshop.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and while we're talking contracts, the coaching staff is busy figuring out a way to justify playing Trent Irwin 25 snaps a game while Jermaine Burton models clothing from the proshop.
that would be too predictable.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chase practices...as pretty much expected, honestly - he has no leverage.

Good to see. I would have preferred that he did it two weeks ago and got some work in against the Colts during the joint practice, but I'm not in charge. LOL. I'd say there is still a decent chance the Bengals sign him between now and the season beginning. The other receiver contracts went nowhere so I don't think the market will explode again. The key issue is whether the Bengals have the cash for the guarantees or if they need to wait until next year.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a report that Burton has been playing against the 4th string for a reason, because he hasn't developed the mental game yet to be ready to contribute. What a load of shit. You run, juke, and you catch. The QB is good enough to place the ball where it needs to be as long as the route is not completely wrong. Even if he fades a little in the route it should be fine. Can't sideline the guy for 4 years hoping he doesn't put up great numbers just so that he can be resigned cheap.

On the other hand, Saban did say he needs to mature a bit and work on his study habits.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a report that Burton has been playing against the 4th string for a reason, because he hasn't developed the mental game yet to be ready to contribute. What a load of shit. You run, juke, and you catch. The QB is good enough to place the ball where it needs to be as long as the route is not completely wrong. Even if he fades a little in the route it should be fine. Can't sideline the guy for 4 years hoping he doesn't put up great numbers just so that he can be resigned cheap.

On the other hand, Saban did say he needs to mature a bit and work on his study habits.
Part of that "rumor" is that Burrow hasn't really developed that trust with him yet, too...I can see that - he's a rookie who is still learning a lot of information.

There's more to it than go get the ball. In this offense, with Burrow - you better run the route correctly. You better line up correctly. You better read the defense correctly. There will be times that a pure need for being about to just "be better" may arise, but until then you have to be solid across the board on this offense. There's too much experience on the field already to just throw that away and let a guy try and superman his way for the ball every time.

This isn't college where you can just out-athlete everyone. He's going to get his chances. But it has been printed since day one of camp that Yoshi has clearly taken a huge lead in that WR3 spot race. He put in a TON of work, and is also athletically given. The guy has EARNED the right to be out there on the field and has EARNED the trust of the QB.

Burton will get there...but with Chase back, Higgins, Yoshi, Gesicki, All, Hudson, and Jones....there's no need to rush him. Zach and the OC can pick and choose when to deploy Burton - and get him the best matchups to take advantage. It'll happen. Why the incessant need to rush him out there by some is beyond me.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see. I would have preferred that he did it two weeks ago and got some work in against the Colts during the joint practice, but I'm not in charge. LOL. I'd say there is still a decent chance the Bengals sign him between now and the season beginning. The other receiver contracts went nowhere so I don't think the market will explode again. The key issue is whether the Bengals have the cash for the guarantees or if they need to wait until next year.
I guess we'll find out. If I were betting, I'd say - he's not getting a contract as that is the Bengals MO with 2 years remaining. Chase has zero leverage.

I wouldn't be thrilled, personally, with that happening - but it is what it is - and for guys who are top 5 the rules are always slightly different - whether we like it or not...so...if he signs, I'll just be happy that it's over with for the next 3-4 years and that the offense/team can move on.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of that "rumor" is that Burrow hasn't really developed that trust with him yet, too...I can see that - he's a rookie who is still learning a lot of information.

There's more to it than go get the ball. In this offense, with Burrow - you better run the route correctly. You better line up correctly. You better read the defense correctly. There will be times that a pure need for being about to just "be better" may arise, but until then you have to be solid across the board on this offense. There's too much experience on the field already to just throw that away and let a guy try and superman his way for the ball every time.

This isn't college where you can just out-athlete everyone. He's going to get his chances. But it has been printed since day one of camp that Yoshi has clearly taken a huge lead in that WR3 spot race. He put in a TON of work, and is also athletically given. The guy has EARNED the right to be out there on the field and has EARNED the trust of the QB.

Burton will get there...but with Chase back, Higgins, Yoshi, Gesicki, All, Hudson, and Jones....there's no need to rush him. Zach and the OC can pick and choose when to deploy Burton - and get him the best matchups to take advantage. It'll happen. Why the incessant need to rush him out there by some is beyond me.
The need to rush it is that I don't think the other guys that we have on the roster bring anything special to the table. I think Yoshi demonstrated some savvy last year in the red zone, but I still don't see him as a guy that creates separation or that will win a ton of one-on-one balls. Maybe I'll be wrong. I hope I am. I think Burton has playmaking talent that is rare and the sooner you figure out how to use him, the more dangerous this offense becomes. The dude didn't start playing football yesterday - He played on playoff teams for UGA and Bama. Coach him up and get him out there.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Myths within the Bengals organization.

- Guards don't matter
- Safeties don't matter
- Rookies are rarely ready to contribute
- The salary cap is a fixed reality
- Very few people in this world can hold for a field goal, so it's worth having a shitty punter as long as they can hold.
- Atheltic score doesn't matter for offensive line prospects.