• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Rosterbation

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants signed Nick Vincent to a minor league deal. I have to think he's got a good shot to make the team, unless he looks absolutely awful in spring training games.

I actually really like this move. He has an 'invisiball' like Petit did. His fastball averaged 89.6 last year, and he had a higher swing-and-miss rate than Aroldis Chapman.

He keeps the walks down, gets whiffs and he's basically free. I hope he makes the team, could be an excellent trade piece as well.

Reactions: LHG

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of surprised on this signing, only because of his 80 game suspension last years for PEDs. I guess its been long enough (and enough new people in the org) that they are not steering clear of these guys any longer.
Either way, he seems like a long shot to make the team.
I really think this is a bad signing.

A bad signing.

A bad.

Is this thing on??

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think this is a bad signing.

A bad signing.

A bad.

Is this thing on??

giphy-downsized-large.gif

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think FZ is doing things. Incremental improvement things. Not sexy, but smart.

We still have a shot at Harper, if we want to pay him.

We will not trade Posey. Belt wouldn't fetch much unless he has an All-Star season; even then his contract is tough to trade. Bum could be moved.

In any event, I think we need to trust that FZ knows what he's doing.
Let's be clear though, no matter what they say about this year they have no intention of competing. FZ has a lot of work to do and it's not a quick fix. Even if we land Harper, our window is still not this year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be clear though, no matter what they say about this year they have no intention of competing. FZ has a lot of work to do and it's not a quick fix. Even if we land Harper, our window is still not this year.
But if we do sign Harper, the chances of a Bum trade are minimized exponentially.

I want to see SD sign Keuchel then send 2 of their prospect studs our way for Bum and Smith.

Reactions: LHG

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While nothing is signed yet, and apparently there is one other team still sniffing around, it looks like Harper to the Phils is going to happen by Monday afternoon.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While nothing is signed yet, and apparently there is one other team still sniffing around, it looks like Harper to the Phils is going to happen by Monday afternoon.

I get that Harper doesn't make complete sense for the Giants, and I'm glad they're still in the sweepstakes, but part of me is still disappointed they didn't go all-in for him. It's not often that you get a chance at a player like this in the free agent market.

I guess we won't ever really know, but it sounds like if the Giants matched the Phillies' offer, he'd sign here.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that Harper doesn't make complete sense for the Giants, and I'm glad they're still in the sweepstakes, but part of me is still disappointed they didn't go all-in for him. It's not often that you get a chance at a player like this in the free agent market.

I guess we won't ever really know, but it sounds like if the Giants matched the Phillies' offer, he'd sign here.
I am torn on signing Harper. He is good, but he does not hit well at the Cove. We would all be super pissed at him within 2 years of not producing.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am torn on signing Harper. He is good, but he does not hit well at the Cove. We would all be super pissed at him within 2 years of not producing.

Same. But then you looks at his numbers and not a single Giant has come close to his in years. And he's still just 26.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think we need to be a bit more careful with the wording. I think they have every INTENTION of competing, but no EXPECTATION of doing so.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That’s my read too. I’ve also read rumors that FZ doesn’t want to do the deal (he never did a big deal like this in LA either) but ownership is pushing for it.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need to be a bit more careful with the wording. I think they have every INTENTION of competing, but no EXPECTATION of doing so.
Sure I guess. Not sure it makes a difference.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mookie Betts in 2 years

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mookie Betts in 2 years

I'd love Mookie way more, but you're on the dance floor with Harper now and you may never get that chance again. Who's to say Mookie would even let you in the room? Same could be said about Mike Trout in two years.

The Giants have been rejected time and time again and you finally have one that's going to say 'yes' but then you hesitate.

I'm probably overthinking this.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cmon, of course it does.

If they have no intention of competing, then they are the Orioles. Nobody wants to be the Orioles
It's just words.
The team does not have the talent to make the playoffs unless by some miracle, and the FO is very aware of that and fine with it. It's more than a one year process.

They will probably have a better record than the Orioles, but they will not make the playoffs just like the Orioles won't.

I will however be hoping for that miracle

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it Monday yet?

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really not sure where I am on the Harper situation ... as someone else said ... we have the chance of acquiring one of the top 3 ballplayers in the game (Betts, Trout and Harper). He's only 26 years old. I'm guessing at least 7 more years of very good production from him. I just don't believe that these opportunities often happen and if they do .... that player is seldom willing to consider the Giants. This time it's different. I do think that we could get Harper if we wanted to go 'all in'.
Personally. I'd go 'all in' and build around Harper.

Of course ... we could wait one-two years ... continue to build the team and then go 'all in' on whatever hot property is available at that time. But, will whoever that is ... want to play for the Giants?

As far as 'intentions' versus 'expectations' go I'm sort of in Tzill's camp. I think all teams enter the season with the intention of fielding a competitive team. But, for a few of these teams the expectation is not for a title or even a playoff position. The expectation is to play competitive ball while continuing to building a team for the future. It takes time to develop talent. I can't imagine the number of roster/line-up/personnel changes that are made by teams that are going through some level of a 'rebuild'.

I love what Boch has dome for this franchise but it is time for him to take on another role after this year. It's very difficult to develop rookie talent when you have a management style that always leans to the 'vet'. I don't think we will be able to fully explore this option until Boch has moved on to his next position. I also think that we'll need a special type of manager to work with the 'kids'.

Our next selection for manager will also prove to be an interesting adventure ....