• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Rosterbation

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just words.
The team does not have the talent to make the playoffs unless by some miracle, and the FO is very aware of that and fine with it. It's more than a one year process.

They will probably have a better record than the Orioles, but they will not make the playoffs just like the Orioles won't.

I will however be hoping for that miracle

I don't know about that. A lot just depends on health. Here is a laundry list of "ifs"

1. Posey's hips are fine
2. Belt's knee is fine
3. Dozen's groin is healed
4. Longo's hand is fully mended
5. Mac returns to early 2018 form
6. Duggar's shoulder is right
7. Craw's knee is healed
8. Somebody combination of Slater/Furgeson/Shaw/Parra/Maybin has reasonable production
9. Bum's hand is fully mended
10. DRod continues his trajectory
11. Shark's shoulder is good
12. Hollturd continues to defy me
13. Pomeranz' bicep is ok

A lot of ifs, but none of those individually are unreasonable (except #12). Will we get all 13? Probably not, but what if we get 10? I think we can compete. It's all up to the injury gods.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard the deal is a Barry Bonds deal. AKA the same kind of offer that got Bonds from the Pirates.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think Harper wants to be in Philly at all, so I think if the Giants or dodgers get near their offer (while still exceeding Machado's offer) he'll sign in California.

If it comes down to the two Cali teams, I think he takes the bigger offer. If the offers end up being the same, I'd guess he's a doyer.

So to recap:

Philly if their offer is the only one that beats Machado's deal.

SF if they top Machado's offer.

LA if they equal top SF's offer.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Harper wants to be in Philly at all, so I think if the Giants or dodgers get near their offer (while still exceeding Machado's offer) he'll sign in California.

If it comes down to the two Cali teams, I think he takes the bigger offer. If the offers end up being the same, I'd guess he's a doyer.

So to recap:

Philly if their offer is the only one that beats Machado's deal.

SF if they top Machado's offer.

LA if they equal top SF's offer.
I would think that explains why this has taken so long. Although Philly may not have offered him enough, thinking that they were the only ones in serious pursuit for a while. I've heard conflicting rumors about what LA has offered him. One is that they won't budge on a short term offer while the other is that all teams pursuing him have talked 10 year deals.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think that explains why this has taken so long. Although Philly may not have offered him enough, thinking that they were the only ones in serious pursuit for a while. I've heard conflicting rumors about what LA has offered him. One is that they won't budge on a short term offer while the other is that all teams pursuing him have talked 10 year deals.

I've heard that too. I think Hank Schulman tweeted it. Maybe it means that the doyers aren't a serious team? I have doubts about that, though.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard that too. I think Hank Schulman tweeted it. Maybe it means that the doyers aren't a serious team? I have doubts about that, though.
Seems the only teams still mentioned are the Giants, Dodgers and Phillies. Regardless of what happens, I'll be happy when this saga is over.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am beginning to be a believer that we are going to get Harper.

Therefore, expect the announcement that he signed with the dogs by tomorrow.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am beginning to be a believer that we are going to get Harper.

Therefore, expect the announcement that he signed with the dogs by tomorrow.
giphy.gif

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as i would like to have Harper in our line-up I really don't get a very comfortable feel for how all of this seems to be unfolding. Putting aside the panic and desperation aspect of how this looks ... the financial investment placed in just one player .... a player who seems to be driven primarily by financial compensation other than where he may prefer to actually play is somewhat disconcerting. Does he really want to play in SF or is 35M a year the end-all and be-all goal of these negotiations?

I'm sure many of these long term contract (7-10 years) also have 'player exit' points built into them. I'm also pretty sure that Harper will have an ability to pull from and/or renegotiate this contract at some preset time frame. I'd also guess that the Giants (or another team) would have some sort of protections built into the contact as well. I could see a contract condition that states something like "If the SF Giants (or other team) do not reach the playoff in the next 3 years the player will have a right to either 'pull from' the contract or 'renegotiate' it.

350M is one BIG investment to make in a team ... for one player .... a very talented player I might add ....

If Harper 'selects' us ... I'd really be interested in the 'why' he did .... Machado just said ... he liked their plan ... what the hell does that actually mean ....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryce Harper's free agency reaches final stages and Phillies might no longer be favorites

I find this statement both fascinating and horrifying:
"Now, panic and desperation about season-ticket sales and fan interest has become the overriding factor. This is no longer a baseball decision, but strictly an ownership pursuit."

My hope is that this would be a one off decision and not a regular occurrence moving forward.
Harper is a unicorn. Doing what is needed to get him in the fold should not establish any precedents.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as i would like to have Harper in our line-up I really don't get a very comfortable feel for how all of this seems to be unfolding. Putting aside the panic and desperation aspect of how this looks ... the financial investment placed in just one player .... a player who seems to be driven primarily by financial compensation other than where he may prefer to actually play is somewhat disconcerting. Does he really want to play in SF or is 35M a year the end-all and be-all goal of these negotiations?

I'm sure many of these long term contract (7-10 years) also have 'player exit' points built into them. I'm also pretty sure that Harper will have an ability to pull from and/or renegotiate this contract at some preset time frame. I'd also guess that the Giants (or another team) would have some sort of protections built into the contact as well. I could see a contract condition that states something like "If the SF Giants (or other team) do not reach the playoff in the next 3 years the player will have a right to either 'pull from' the contract or 'renegotiate' it.

350M is one BIG investment to make in a team ... for one player .... a very talented player I might add ....

If Harper 'selects' us ... I'd really be interested in the 'why' he did .... Machado just said ... he liked their plan ... what the hell does that actually mean ....
He is a unicorn and looking for the biggest $$ ever is not an unrealistic ask. But if he only cared about $$, no California team would last in a financial competition. He would have signed with Philly weeks ago.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harper is a unicorn. Doing what is needed to get him in the fold should not establish any precedents.
While I agree with part of that statement, I don't think it could not establish precedents. Once ownership decides to override any plan by the VP and/or GM, it becomes easier for them to continue to step over that line whenever they feel like it. And they have that right as they are the ultimate bosses but it makes things messy and can undermine a good plan and run a good executive out of town. A healthy ownership/executive relationship can set boundaries on this and make exceptions, so I expect this to be a one off.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Giants run up the price tag for whoever signs him (and do NOT end up the only team without a chair when the music stops). But then I hoped that with Zito as well. I laughed and laughed and laughed when the report of "$90M for 5 years" by the Mets leaked. Then I cried a few days later.

I would MUCH rather have four (or even three) players who hit around .300, with 40-ish doubles, and 6-8 HRs than Harper. Not because Harper isn't very, very, very good. I'd just rather have four good players than one great player (for the same price).