• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Rosterbation

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still plenty of hope for the ‘23 season, but there are clear holes that need to be filled for 2024. Time to start looking at what we got…

Under Contract

Haniger (20M)
Desclafani (12M)
Tay Rogers (12M)
Flores (6.5M)
Jackson (6.5M)

Club Option

Cobb (10M/2M)

Player Option

Conforto (18M)
Manaea (12.5M)
Stripling (12.5M)

Arbitration

Davis (A4)
Slater (A4)
Yastrzemski (A3)
Estrada (A2)
Ty Rogers (A2)
Wade (A2)
Webb (A2)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we have 57M locked in with the 5 contracted players.

Picking up Cobb’s team option is an absolute no-brainer (67M total)

None of the 3 player options had nearly good enough years to opt out, so I expect all 3 options to be picked up (110M total)

None of the 7 Arb eligible players are non-tender candidates (they made a combined 26M in ‘23 assuming a WAG of a 50% raise amongst them, that adds 39M for a total of 149M)

So for the first 16 players for 2024, we are paying approx 149M. That leaves MAYBE 50-60M for FAs and the rest of the kids.

Folks, Ohtani ain’t coming…

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we have 57M locked in with the 5 contracted players.

Picking up Cobb’s team option is an absolute no-brainer (67M total)

None of the 3 player options had nearly good enough years to opt out, so I expect all 3 options to be picked up (110M total)

None of the 7 Arb eligible players are non-tender candidates (they made a combined 26M in ‘23 assuming a WAG of a 50% raise amongst them, that adds 39M for a total of 149M)

So for the first 16 players for 2024, we are paying approx 149M. That leaves MAYBE 50-60M for FAs and the rest of the kids.

Folks, Ohtani ain’t coming…
That is a lot of money spent on some poor performances. Not talking about all of the guys you listed but Haniger, DeSclafani, Conforto, Manaea, and Stripling really stand out as some bad investments.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a lot of money spent on some poor performances. Not talking about all of the guys you listed but Haniger, DeSclafani, Conforto, Manaea, and Stripling really stand out as some bad investments.
Manaea is a weapon in his role now, been pitching great. Plus he's only the 4rd lefty on the team I believe. Haniger got hurt before he had time to improve, he has a track record. So does Conforto who has looked awesome and shitty this year (just like the lineup in general). Stripling was very good today. We're not this bad just everyone is in a funk and I think FZ really shoulda got someone just to change the energy.

I think it's way too soon to declare these bad moves. This team is pretty well positioned as we head into August, better record than we expected. Not mad at the year at all so far. Just need ONE thing to improve.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manaea is a weapon in his role now, been pitching great. Plus he's only the 4rd lefty on the team I believe. Haniger got hurt before he had time to improve, he has a track record. So does Conforto who has looked awesome and shitty this year (just like the lineup in general). Stripling was very good today. We're not this bad just everyone is in a funk and I think FZ really shoulda got someone just to change the energy.

I think it's way too soon to declare these bad moves. This team is pretty well positioned as we head into August, better record than we expected. Not mad at the year at all so far. Just need ONE thing to improve.
I kept forgetting that Manaea and Stripling have been showing some improvement lately. I think Haniger's track record is a bit overblown. He seems to me a player that cannot stay healthy. Conforto has looked poor more often than he has looked good and it seems his defense has regressed as well. They may yet turn their seasons around but it doesn't look good for either hitter right now.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kept forgetting that Manaea and Stripling have been showing some improvement lately. I think Haniger's track record is a bit overblown. He seems to me a player that cannot stay healthy. Conforto has looked poor more often than he has looked good and it seems his defense has regressed as well. They may yet turn their seasons around but it doesn't look good for either hitter right now.
Stripling looked great today and has looked good his last few outings. Maybe?? Manaea has embraced his Uber-long man role.

Conforto, unfortunately, had an OK stint for a month or so, but that has been bookended by incredible dry spells. And his defense, while not Pedo-bad, has probably been a net negative. I have some faith that he could improve next season since he is coming off a lost season, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can a hitter with a 117 OPS+ only have a 0.7 WAR? By posting a negative -0.7 dWAR in a mere 88 innings played in the field thus far. The Giants were doing so good with keeping Pederson mainly at DH most of the season. Why do they feel the need to glove him now? I'd be perfectly okay with the Giants letting him walk this offseason. Focus their money and attention elsewhere.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can a hitter with a 117 OPS+ only have a 0.7 WAR? By posting a negative -0.7 dWAR in a mere 88 innings played in the field thus far. The Giants were doing so good with keeping Pederson mainly at DH most of the season. Why do they feel the need to glove him now? I'd be perfectly okay with the Giants letting him walk this offseason. Focus their money and attention elsewhere.
I agree in principle. But the Giants have been hit by injuries, so he had to take the field.

His above average bat is a mirage. He is not a valuable player and should not be pursued in the off season for ‘24.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stripling looked great today and has looked good his last few outings. Maybe?? Manaea has embraced his Uber-long man role.

Conforto, unfortunately, had an OK stint for a month or so, but that has been bookended by incredible dry spells. And his defense, while not Pedo-bad, has probably been a net negative. I have some faith that he could improve next season since he is coming off a lost season, but I wouldn’t bet on it.
Here is one interesting take on Stripling's season - OPS allowed by month:
March/April - .967
May - .851
June - .769
July - .694
August (1 game) - .474

That is certainly in the right direction. The rest of his stats complete the story. In 8 appearances (6 starts) since returning from the IL in late June, he has thrown a total of 35 IP (4.1 IP per game, okay) with an amazing 0.743 WHIP (he was only walked 1 batter in those 35 IP!) and 3.34 ERA. Long balls have been a problem for him, though, with 5 allowed in those 35 IP.
If he can keep this up the rest of the way, he could possibly opt out.

Manaea, on the other hand, did not do so well in July. He made 6 relief appearances, totaling 18.1 IP (averaging 3 IP per game). In those 6 appearances, he posted a WHIP of 1.309 and an ERA of 4.91. Not good. The Giants have shortened his stints in games this August, throwing 3 IP in 3 games. He has allowed only 1 hit and 1 walk in those 3 appearances this month. Its a start but hardly like he is settling into a role.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what are the rules for being eligible for the Rule V draft? I always forget how that works…

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what are the rules for being eligible for the Rule V draft? I always forget how that works…
Players who are 19 years of age and older at the time of signing are eligible to be drafted, if not protected, 3 years after signing.
Players who are 18 years of age and younger at the time of signing are eligible to drafted, if not protected, 4 years agter signing.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players who are 19 years of age and older at the time of signing are eligible to be drafted, if not protected, 3 years after signing.
Players who are 18 years of age and younger at the time of signing are eligible to drafted, if not protected, 4 years agter signing.
So basically, the 2020 draft…

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also just noticed that Roster Resource has this info…

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browsing through current Giants players not on the 40 who MAY be protected…

Will Wilson
RJ Dabovich
Nick Swiney
Kai-Wei Teng
Ricardo Genoves
Erik Miller
Juan Sanchez
Will Jensen
Adrien Sugastay
Aeverson Arteaga
Grant McCray

I think Dabovich is the highest likelihood of this group. Though Wilson, Sanchez, Arteaga and McCray are all possibilities as well. Also, Harrison is not required for protection, but he is basically ready, so he may be added based on merit rather than protection.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browsing through current Giants players not on the 40 who MAY be protected…

Will Wilson
RJ Dabovich
Nick Swiney
Kai-Wei Teng
Ricardo Genoves
Erik Miller
Juan Sanchez
Will Jensen
Adrien Sugastay
Aeverson Arteaga
Grant McCray

I think Dabovich is the highest likelihood of this group. Though Wilson, Sanchez, Arteaga and McCray are all possibilities as well. Also, Harrison is not required for protection, but he is basically ready, so he may be added based on merit rather than protection.
I actually think Dabovich is highly likely NOT to be protected. He hasn't shown much in AAA yet and he's been injured for a good chunk of this year.
Genoves has been exposed in previous years, so he likely won't be protected. He'll also be a minor league free agent this offseason.

Of the group you listed, I think the most likely are Arteaga, McCray, Sanchez and Swiney.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think Dabovich is highly likely NOT to be protected. He hasn't shown much in AAA yet and he's been injured for a good chunk of this year.
Genoves has been exposed in previous years, so he likely won't be protected. He'll also be a minor league free agent this offseason.

Of the group you listed, I think the most likely are Arteaga, McCray, Sanchez and Swiney.
Sanchez is a lot like Ty Rogers. He is a complete junk pitcher. He may be able to remain unprotected and since he doesn’t throw gas, he may be overlooked.

Arteaga is still pretty far away, but he does have a ceiling.

McCray is rated high by journos, but he simply has not produced. I am not convinced he is viewed highly by teams.

Swiney is a distinct possibility.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not certain Genoves is still considered a prospect. That ship may have sailed.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not certain Genoves is still considered a prospect. That ship may have sailed.
I think it sailed early last year when he didn't hit in AAA. He was actually a minor league free agent last offseason and, if I remember correctly, he lingered on that market a bit before the Giants re-signed him. The Giants did hand him the AAA job again this year but has lost playing time to first Bailey, then Nottingham, Bart and Reetz (except Reetz and Nottingham were both played more elsewhere). He is just org depth at this point and would probably only get a chance at the big leagues in an emergency.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeJong has an interesting contract status.

He has a 12.5M club option for ‘24 with a 2M buyout. However, that buyout is covered by StL. So I assume we have the option to either pick him up for 12.5m or let him walk for free? If we pick up the option, we will be saving StL 2m, it doesn’t affect us.

Further, there is another team option for ‘25 at 15/1. I assume that if we retain him ‘24, we would then be on the hook for the entirety of his contract (the ‘25 option would be fully on us).