• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Rosterbation

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeJong has an interesting contract status.

He has a 12.5M club option for ‘24 with a 2M buyout. However, that buyout is covered by StL. So I assume we have the option to either pick him up for 12.5m or let him walk for free? If we pick up the option, we will be saving StL 2m, it doesn’t affect us.

Further, there is another team option for ‘25 at 15/1. I assume that if we retain him ‘24, we would then be on the hook for the entirety of his contract (the ‘25 option would be fully on us).
Sheeyit let’s sign him to a 10 year extension

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sheeyit let’s sign him to a 10 year extension
He looks good today, no doubt. But he has put up garbage numbers since his last good year (‘19). And his options pay him like he should be a 2 WAR player (he is lucky if he isn’t a negative WAR player).

If we like him, try to sign him to a discount. He isn’t a 2 WAR player.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He looks good today, no doubt. But he has put up garbage numbers since his last good year (‘19). And his options pay him like he should be a 2 WAR player (he is lucky if he isn’t a negative WAR player).

If we like him, try to sign him to a discount. He isn’t a 2 WAR player.
HF? :heh:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although, the more I see him play today, the more I may be OK with a 10 year contract.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Cobb pitching himself out of his option getting picked up?

It is only 10m (with a 2M buyout), so I still think it gets picked up, but he is an old dude and he has looked bad since the ASG. He MAY be done. Pitchers are known to hit the wall that fast.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Cobb pitching himself out of his option getting picked up?

It is only 10m (with a 2M buyout), so I still think it gets picked up, but he is an old dude and he has looked bad since the ASG. He MAY be done. Pitchers are known to hit the wall that fast.
He pitched well today

Reactions: LHG

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updated for DeJong…

Under Contract

Haniger (20M)
Desclafani (12M)
Tay Rogers (12M)
Flores (6.5M)
Jackson (6.5M)

Club Option

Cobb (10M/2M)
DeJong (12.5M)

Player Option

Conforto (18M)
Manaea (12.5M)
Stripling (12.5M)

Arbitration

Davis (4.2M) (A4)
Slater (3.2M) (A4)
Yastrzemski (6.1M) (A3)
Estrada (2.25M) (A2)
Ty Rogers (1.7M) A2)
Wade (1.4M) (A2)
Webb (4.6M) (A2)

Free Agent

Pederson
Crawford
Wood
Junis
Brebbia
Alexander

Last edited:

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notable possible free agents this offseason (hitters' edition):
Catchers - Mitch Garver
1st Base - Josh Bell (player opt out), Brandon Belt, Rhys Hoskins, Donovan Solano
2nd Base - Whit Merrifield, Jorge Polanco (club option)
Shortsop - Nick Ahmed, Tim Anderson (club option), Javier Baez (player opt out)
3rd Base - Jeimer Candelario, Matt Chapman, Max Muncy (club option), Justin Turner (player option)
Outfield - Harrison Bader, Cody Bellinger, Mark Canha, Michael Conforto (player opt out), Randal Grichuk, Teoscar Hernandez, Max Kepler, Kevin Kiermaier, Hunter Renfroe, Eddie Rosario (club option), Michael A Taylor
DH - JD Martinez, Andrew McCutchen, Shohei Ohtani, Joc Pederson; Jorge Solar

Significant worts on each of these players, and they are the cream of the crop.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notable possible free agents this offseason (hitters' edition):
Catchers - Mitch Garver
1st Base - Josh Bell (player opt out), Brandon Belt, Rhys Hoskins, Donovan Solano
2nd Base - Whit Merrifield, Jorge Polanco (club option)
Shortsop - Nick Ahmed, Tim Anderson (club option), Javier Baez (player opt out)
3rd Base - Jeimer Candelario, Matt Chapman, Max Muncy (club option), Justin Turner (player option)
Outfield - Harrison Bader, Cody Bellinger, Mark Canha, Michael Conforto (player opt out), Randal Grichuk, Teoscar Hernandez, Max Kepler, Kevin Kiermaier, Hunter Renfroe, Eddie Rosario (club option), Michael A Taylor
DH - JD Martinez, Andrew McCutchen, Shohei Ohtani, Joc Pederson; Jorge Solar

Significant worts on each of these players, and they are the cream of the crop.
They need to invest in scouting and development. That’s how you build a winner.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Build a deep farm, then you will have enough prospects to both swing trades and develop a good core for the team.
I know they have invested in the infrastructure in Latin America with the Alou Center, but they just haven’t had any luck with who they have signed. Cabrera, Villanova, Fox…. All busts. And those are just the BIG busts. Hard to really blame them for Cabrera or Villalona, though. Those were just tragic mishaps. Fox was a legit talent bust, though.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know they have invested in the infrastructure in Latin America with the Alou Center, but they just haven’t had any luck with who they have signed. Cabrera, Villanova, Fox…. All busts. And those are just the BIG busts. Hard to really blame them for Cabrera or Villalona, though. Those were just tragic mishaps. Fox was a legit talent bust, though.
I don't think Fox was attached to that center, though. He was from the Bahamas and, I believe, played some high school ball in Florida before moving back to the Bahamas. Probably to avoid the restrictions on the draft at that time. But yes, he was a legit bust. It is something that I still forget with prospects, most of them will not turn out the way one hopes. That is why a deep farm system is extremely valuable. It allows the organization to develop despite the rate of failure and its gives them leverage to get some of the players from other teams worth getting.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We succeeded with Sandoval and…. and…. and…

Yeah. We had success with Sandoval.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Fox was attached to that center, though. He was from the Bahamas and, I believe, played some high school ball in Florida before moving back to the Bahamas. Probably to avoid the restrictions on the draft at that time. But yes, he was a legit bust. It is something that I still forget with prospects, most of them will not turn out the way one hopes. That is why a deep farm system is extremely valuable. It allows the organization to develop despite the rate of failure and its gives them leverage to get some of the players from other teams worth getting.
You are correct. Fox was much more of a traditional draft-prospect, but he gamed the system to avoid the draft (good for him). The Giants weren’t the only team vying for his services, so it isn’t really fair to blame them for him either, but their track record for who they have hit on and who they missed out on is pretty abysmal. Doval is looking good, but it is way too early to judge him yet, and we will see what happens with Arias. I would like to see some list of everyone we have signed for, say, 500k or more over the last 10-15 years to see how they have done objectively. Further, I would love to see other teams raw signings as well for context on the Giants’ success/failure.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct. Fox was much more of a traditional draft-prospect, but he gamed the system to avoid the draft (good for him). The Giants weren’t the only team vying for his services, so it isn’t really fair to blame them for him either, but their track record for who they have hit on and who they missed out on is pretty abysmal. Doval is looking good, but it is way too early to judge him yet, and we will see what happens with Arias. I would like to see some list of everyone we have signed for, say, 500k or more over the last 10-15 years to see how they have done objectively. Further, I would love to see other teams raw signings as well for context on the Giants’ success/failure.
I found a decent source for this info. I will mine it this weekend and see what I can glean.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The data is limited (only goes back to ‘16), but just spot checking some other teams…

WOW

These players are generally pretty massive flops.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to add Yamamoto to the FA list.

There will be several teams in on him once he's posted, but he'd be a nice addition and could locker next to Ohtani.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to add Yamamoto to the FA list.

There will be several teams in on him once he's posted, but he'd be a nice addition and could locker next to Ohtani.
I didn't think of Japanese FAs. Do you really see the Giants' payroll exceeding 250m?