• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Rosterbation

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updated expectations (opening 28)…

SP (5/5)

Webb (R)
Rodon (L)
Disco (R)
Wood (L)
Cobb (R)

Bully (6/9)

Doval (R)
McGee (L)
Rogers (R)
Alvarez (L)
Garcia (L)
Leone (R)

3 open slots

Junis (R)
Brebbia (R)
Beede (R) (out of options)
Littell (R) (out of options)

Catcher (2/2)

Bart
Cassali

Inf (5/6)

Belt
La Stella
Crawford
Longoria
Flores

1 open spot

Estrada (out of options)
Dubon (out of options)
Blandino (NRI)
Krizan (NRI)

OF (4/5)

Yaz
Wade
Pedo
Ruf

1 open spot

Slater (has option)
Duggar (out of options)

My estimations for spots leaves one additional spot to be filled. I doubt we carry 15 pitchers, so I would assume it will go to a position player (Dubon?).

The first fight appears to be Dubon vs Estrada, and that one doesn’t really look like a fight. Dubon’s only chance to stay with the org at this point appears to be if he clears waivers or is kept on the roster as the 28th man for a few weeks. Blandino and Krizan both look solid, but will almost certainly start in Sacto.

The next fight looks like Duggar vs Slater. Slater has an option, so Duggar would likely be sitting in the pole position.

Finally, assuming they are going with 14 pitchers, that leaves 3 bully spots open.

Junis signed an MLB contract as a FA, so he probably has the inside track to one of those jobs. He also fills the need of a swing man, so it makes sense.

Beede is out of options, but has looked like crap for a long time now. After today’s game, he may be done. He needed a strong spring to stay on the 40, I think.

Littell put up some nice numbers last year. While I don’t really think he is a LOCK, I think he is very close to being a lock. Especially given Beede’s game today.

Despite his horrible ‘21, Brebbia has a rather high ceiling. Problem is that he has an option. His option will work against his chances at the opening day roster.
LaStella may not be ready for Opening Day so I think that Dubon makes the team, either until LaStella is ready or rosters go down to 26.
Longoria may be not ready for OP either but that seems unlikely right now.
There is talk that Junis won't start the season on the roster because he has an option and the Giants may want more short work guys to start off the season.
Not sure, though, if that will happen. One guy you forgot in the pen is Kervin Castro. I have to think he has an inside shot on a bullpen spot.

Assuming they are able to carry 28 players through April, I think the roster will shake out like this for OP:
Starting rotation - Cobb, DiSclafani, Rodon, Webb, Wood
Bullpen - Alvarez, Castro, Doval, Garcia, Kunis, Leone, Littell, McGee, Rogers
Catchers - Bart, Casali
Infielders - Belt, Crawford, Dubon, Estrada, Flores, Longoria, Ruf
Outfielders - Duggar, Pederson, Slater, Wade, Yastrzemski

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LaStella may not be ready for Opening Day so I think that Dubon makes the team, either until LaStella is ready or rosters go down to 26.
Longoria may be not ready for OP either but that seems unlikely right now.
There is talk that Junis won't start the season on the roster because he has an option and the Giants may want more short work guys to start off the season.
Not sure, though, if that will happen. One guy you forgot in the pen is Kervin Castro. I have to think he has an inside shot on a bullpen spot.

Assuming they are able to carry 28 players through April, I think the roster will shake out like this for OP:
Starting rotation - Cobb, DiSclafani, Rodon, Webb, Wood
Bullpen - Alvarez, Castro, Doval, Garcia, Kunis, Leone, Littell, McGee, Rogers
Catchers - Bart, Casali
Infielders - Belt, Crawford, Dubon, Estrada, Flores, Longoria, Ruf
Outfielders - Duggar, Pederson, Slater, Wade, Yastrzemski
Castro is super young and has options. They may want to refine him a bit in Sacto. In the long run, he may be the real closer of the futuer over Doval, but either way, both are super studs and will anchor the back of our bully for a few years to come. And having multiple shut down bully arms is what is needed for deep post season runs.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNRELATED Sharing here because I can't stand the rest of the assholes in the gen pop on the hoop*:

That sucks.
RIP

*but you guys are pretty cool ...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNRELATED Sharing here because I can't stand the rest of the assholes in the gen pop on the hoop*:

That sucks.
RIP

*but you guys are pretty cool ...
David Letterman had a nice comment about Hawkins. Apparently, the only time his drummer ever came out from behind the kit was to watch Hawkins. He was that good. May his memory be for a blessing.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My 2 cents on the roster:
Locks(10)
SP: Webb/Rodon/Disco/Wood/Cobb
RP: Jake/TRog/Leone/Alvarez/Haarleen
Likely(2)
Shittell/Doval
Bubble
Beeduh/Long/Junis/Castro/Brebbia/Hjelle/CarMart/Espinal

Locks(11)
C: Bart/Babe
IF: BB9/Stamos/Longo/Flowers
OF: Slater/Yaz/Ruf/LWJ/Joc
Likely(2)
Stars/TyRo
Bubble
Doobie/Digdug/Vosler/Ramos/Blandino/Krizan

Best guess -- 13th pitcher is Long, 14th is Castro; 14th hitter is Doobie

I like this team. I love the depth.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My 2 cents on the roster:
Locks(10)
SP: Webb/Rodon/Disco/Wood/Cobb
RP: Jake/TRog/Leone/Alvarez/Haarleen
Likely(2)
Shittell/Doval
Bubble
Beeduh/Long/Junis/Castro/Brebbia/Hjelle/CarMart/Espinal

Locks(11)
C: Bart/Babe
IF: BB9/Stamos/Longo/Flowers
OF: Slater/Yaz/Ruf/LWJ/Joc
Likely(2)
Stars/TyRo
Bubble
Doobie/Digdug/Vosler/Ramos/Blandino/Krizan

Best guess -- 13th pitcher is Long, 14th is Castro; 14th hitter is Doobie

I like this team. I love the depth.
Only the bubble for Ramos?

How long for this dude to crack the big team for sure/good?

I'm assuming Stamos = BCraw?

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only the bubble for Ramos?

How long for this dude to crack the big team for sure/good?

I'm assuming Stamos = BCraw?
Ramos MIGHT get a cuppo this year. He is still super young (22). He was drafted out of HS. He still has 3 or 4 years, realistically, before he can be called a bust. Though he will likely be an MLB reg by later this year or next year.

That may not be with the Giants, though. Matos is coming up hard and fast, and if Ramos doesn’t establish himself as a solid starter THIS year, he may be dealt for a superstar at the deadline.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ramos MIGHT get a cuppo this year. He is still super young (22). He was drafted out of HS. He still has 3 or 4 years, realistically, before he can be called a bust. Though he will likely be an MLB reg by later this year or next year.

That may not be with the Giants, though. Matos is coming up hard and fast, and if Ramos doesn’t establish himself as a solid starter THIS year, he may be dealt for a superstar at the deadline.
I don't like it but I'm starting to realize that this FO probably won't be giving us any home grown superstars for a while. Not saying that the prospects are all going to be busts, just expecting them to blossom elsewhere. Not saying the FO won't keep this team competitive, just that their method won't be to me liking (but if end results are WS titles, then who cares).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like it but I'm starting to realize that this FO probably won't be giving us any home grown superstars for a while. Not saying that the prospects are all going to be busts, just expecting them to blossom elsewhere. Not saying the FO won't keep this team competitive, just that their method won't be to me liking (but if end results are WS titles, then who cares).
I am afraid of the A’s/Rays model as well. Even if that model comes with championships, though, that just throws in my face that I am rooting for front office suits and on field laundry. There is a reason I don’t root for the A’s.

I am not convinced this is what will happen, but I am scared that it is a possibility. Couple that with the league wide changes, and well, I haven’t exactly been quiet about my potential future when it comes to this game.

• Winner
Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am afraid of the A’s/Rays model as well. Even if that model comes with championships, though, that just throws in my face that I am rooting for front office suits and on field laundry. There is a reason I don’t root for the A’s.

I am not convinced this is what will happen, but I am scared that it is a possibility. Couple that with the league wide changes, and well, I haven’t exactly been quiet about my potential future when it comes to this game.
I thought that as well during the lockout. I was so checked out of baseball for about two months that it felt like a surprise when the owners and the MLBPA came to an agreement. I pondered the idea of not even following this season and feel really behind where I normally am this year. Going through that twice in 3 years is not good for the game. Adding to all that a roster churn mentality and grooming players only to be trade fodder just compounds my lack of passion for this team and for the game, in general.
Interestingly, I met a guy who was a mid round pick of the Braves back in 2017. He played two years for their org and one in indy ball before moving on from baseball. There were no real surprises in the conversation about his pro ball experience but he did emphasize the corporate climate of professional baseball, even on the minor league level and talked about how the guys that stick around minor league ball are the ones that figure out how, and want to, play the political game.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that as well during the lockout. I was so checked out of baseball for about two months that it felt like a surprise when the owners and the MLBPA came to an agreement. I pondered the idea of not even following this season and feel really behind where I normally am this year. Going through that twice in 3 years is not good for the game. Adding to all that a roster churn mentality and grooming players only to be trade fodder just compounds my lack of passion for this team and for the game, in general.
Interestingly, I met a guy who was a mid round pick of the Braves back in 2017. He played two years for their org and one in indy ball before moving on from baseball. There were no real surprises in the conversation about his pro ball experience but he did emphasize the corporate climate of professional baseball, even on the minor league level and talked about how the guys that stick around minor league ball are the ones that figure out how, and want to, play the political game.
I understand how the corporate mentality is required. There is too much money involved for that not to exist. And I understand that we have all just decided to root for Mobile instead of Exxon. But we have fallen in love with the narrative. As fictional as it is. I suspect it is similar to how NASCAR fans become dyed in the wool Ford fans and would never buy Chevy or GM or whatever, all because their favorite left-turner drives a Ford.

But i am giving FZ et al time to PROVE that they are going to stick with the A’s/Rays model before I label the team with pen. They came into a team that needed a LOT of work. They even made some decisions NOT to trade when lots of us were screaming for trades (Bum in particular). So there is evidence that suggests in the long run they will still have face-of-the-franchise type players and allow the fans to build relationships with these players (The Brandons are current examples).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With LWJ out for at least 10 days, the lineup (vs. RHP) is going to look something like:
La Stella 2B (if he's ready)
Belt 1B
Ruf DH
Joc LF
Crawford SS
Flores 3B
Yaz RF
Bart C
Duggar CF

Bench: Slater, Estrada, Dubón, Casali (+ 1 of Vosler, Williams, Blandino?) Not terrible, but thinning out very quickly...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With LWJ out for at least 10 days, the lineup (vs. RHP) is going to look something like:
La Stella 2B (if he's ready)
Belt 1B
Ruf DH
Joc LF
Crawford SS
Flores 3B
Yaz RF
Bart C
Duggar CF

Bench: Slater, Estrada, Dubón, Casali (+ 1 of Vosler, Williams, Blandino?) Not terrible, but thinning out very quickly...
I think that until we hear otherwise, we should assume La Stella will miss opening day as well. I think puts Ponch as the starting 2B on opening day (and I wouldn’t be super surprised if he ends up being the primary 2B when we look back at the season as a whole)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SP (5/5 Locked)

Webb (R)
Rodon (L)
Disco (R)
Wood (L)
Cobb (R)

Bully (6/9)

Doval (R)
McGee (L)
Rogers (R)
Alvarez (L)
Garcia (L)
Leone (R)

3 open slots

Junis (R)
Brebbia (R)
Castro (R)

Catcher (2/2 Locked)

Bart
Cassali

Inf (4/6)

Belt
La Stella (possible IL)
Crawford
Flores

IL

Longoria

2 open spot

Estrada (out of options)
Dubon (out of options)
Blandino (NRI)
Krizan (NRI)

OF (4/5)

Yaz
Wade (possible IL)
Pedo
Ruf

1 open spot

Slater (has option)
Duggar (out of options)

With Longo going down, that probably saves Dubon. Prob is that Dubon isn’t much of a 3B. I am not sure where Krizan or Blandino sit on the 3B depth chart.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SP (5/5 Locked)

Webb (R)
Rodon (L)
Disco (R)
Wood (L)
Cobb (R)

Bully (6/9)

Doval (R)
McGee (L)
Rogers (R)
Alvarez (L)
Garcia (L)
Leone (R)

3 open slots

Junis (R)
Brebbia (R)
Castro (R)

Catcher (2/2 Locked)

Bart
Cassali

Inf (4/6)

Belt
La Stella (possible IL)
Crawford
Flores

IL

Longoria

2 open spot

Estrada (out of options)
Dubon (out of options)
Blandino (NRI)
Krizan (NRI)

OF (4/5)

Yaz
Wade (possible IL)
Pedo
Ruf

1 open spot

Slater (has option)
Duggar (out of options)

With Longo going down, that probably saves Dubon. Prob is that Dubon isn’t much of a 3B. I am not sure where Krizan or Blandino sit on the 3B depth chart.
Krizan did play 22 games at 3rd last year (along with 42 games at 1st, 36 games at 2nd, 10 in left and 1 in right field. Oh, and he pitched in 2 games too). Blandino didn't play much last year but he still got a few games around the diamond, including 3rd base. Both prototypical FZ Swiss army guys.