• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Rosterbation

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Webb
Cobb
Strippling
Manaea
Desclafani
Wood

Doval
Brebia
TyRo
TaRo
Alexander
Hjelli
Junis

Bart
Perez
Sabol

Wade
Estrada
Crawford
VR
Flores
Davis

Conforto
Yaz
Pedo
Johnson

IL
Slater
Szapucki (? he is out of options)

Jackson
Gonzalez

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Webb
Cobb
Strippling
Manaea
Desclafani
Wood

Doval
Brebia
TyRo
TaRo
Alexander
Hjelli
Junis

Bart
Perez
Sabol

Wade
Estrada
Crawford
VR
Flores
Davis

Conforto
Yaz
Pedo
Johnson

IL
Slater

Jackson
Gonzalez
Szapucki is either going on the IL or is getting released. I believe the rule is that a player cannot be dfa'd if injured (which is dumb, because the player can still be released and re-signed to a minor league deal).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Webb
Cobb
Strippling
Manaea
Desclafani
Wood

Doval
Brebia
TyRo
TaRo
Alexander
Hjelli
Junis

Bart
Perez
Sabol

Wade
Estrada
Crawford
VR
Flores
Davis

Conforto
Yaz
Pedo
Johnson

IL
Slater

Jackson
Gonzalez
I missed Haniger starting on the IL as well…

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is possible that Cobb may start the year on the IL as well. If his first start gets skipped to allow his knee to heal, I could see the Giants placing him on the IL to sneak another position player (Wisely? Piscotty?) onto the roster for at least a few days.

From sfgiants.com:

RHP Alex Cobb (left knee bruise)
Expected return:
Late March
The Giants had been expecting Cobb to pitch the second game of the season at Yankee Stadium on April 1, but manager Gabe Kapler said there’s a chance Cobb’s start could be pushed back since he’s still dealing with some swelling from the 102 mph comebacker he took off his left knee on March 11. Kapler said Cobb threw off flat ground on March 23 and felt better, but the 35-year-old veteran would like to give the swelling more time to subside before resuming his mound work. Cobb made his last Cactus League start on March 16, when he struck out five over five scoreless innings against the Mariners. (Last updated: March 23)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've got 5 other SP plus two dudes in the BP who can start as well.

Coverage here. Let him get well.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be Szapucki’s lifeline (assuming he isn’t hurt)

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Szapucki hasn't pitched in a month. He's not going to be on the roster come Opening Day. Its just a matter of whether the Giants want to carry him on the IL or release him. Knowing FZ, either could happen.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, this is the write up from two days ago on the team website:
LHP Thomas Szapucki (left arm neuropathy)
Expected return:
TBD
Szapucki, who has been shut down from throwing since late February due to elbow soreness, will be evaluated by Dr. Robert Thompson in St. Louis on March 23. Szapucki hasn't pitched since Feb. 26, when he allowed three runs over one-third of an inning in his spring debut against the Reds.

"I think any time we're trying to figure out what the root of a problem is, there's going to be some concern," manager Gabe Kapler said. "And I think that's the case with Szapucki. We just don't know what's going on fully yet, but we're still kind of in that discovery phase." (Last updated: March 22)

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumblings from camp suggest Bart may still get sent to AAA and both Perez and Wynns make the roster. Considering that Johnson and Perez have both been promised a spot, Wynns would require a 3rd spot to open on the 40 man roster. It is possible that all of Jackson, Szapucki and Gonzalez get placed on the 60 day IL. That could open a spot for Wynns, or, thinking a bit outside the box, maybe Wilson! If Cobb gets shelved for a week, the Giants could carry 12 pitchers and bring in an extra fielder. Wilson seems like a good fit because he hasn't been optioned yet and will need to be protected this offseason anyway. His spring has been much more impressive than Wisely and he carries little risk of being lost early in the season, unlike Piscotty (his two main competitors for the spot. I'm not counting Schmitt as I doubt that they want to start his clock in the big leagues just yet).
If Wilson or Piscotty get added, I would doubt Wynns makes the club and I think Bart sticks. However, the Giants could trade or dfa someone (Diaz, Long, Beck or Winn) to make that 4th spot available.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumblings from camp suggest Bart may still get sent to AAA and both Perez and Wynns make the roster. Considering that Johnson and Perez have both been promised a spot, Wynns would require a 3rd spot to open on the 40 man roster. It is possible that all of Jackson, Szapucki and Gonzalez get placed on the 60 day IL. That could open a spot for Wynns, or, thinking a bit outside the box, maybe Wilson! If Cobb gets shelved for a week, the Giants could carry 12 pitchers and bring in an extra fielder. Wilson seems like a good fit because he hasn't been optioned yet and will need to be protected this offseason anyway. His spring has been much more impressive than Wisely and he carries little risk of being lost early in the season, unlike Piscotty (his two main competitors for the spot. I'm not counting Schmitt as I doubt that they want to start his clock in the big leagues just yet).
If Wilson or Piscotty get added, I would doubt Wynns makes the club and I think Bart sticks. However, the Giants could trade or dfa someone (Diaz, Long, Beck or Winn) to make that 4th spot available.
I think Winn has eyes on him this year. I doubt they would deal him right now.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Pavs tonight:

SP - Webb, Cobb, Strip, Wood, Disco, Manaea
BP - Doval, TyRog, TaRog, Brebbia, Alexander, Junis, Hjelle
C - Bart, Perez, Sabol
IF - Craw, Flores, Tyro, Davis, LWJ, VR
OF - Forto, Yaz, Pedo, Bryce

This looks right to me. Haniger and Slater headed to IL.

The only quibble I have is categorizing the Hebrew as an OF...I don't think he sniffs a start there. Sabol would be the fourth OF and LWJ the fifth.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Pavs tonight:

SP - Webb, Cobb, Strip, Wood, Disco, Manaea
BP - Doval, TyRog, TaRog, Brebbia, Alexander, Junis, Hjelle
C - Bart, Perez, Sabol
IF - Craw, Flores, Tyro, Davis, LWJ, VR
OF - Forto, Yaz, Pedo, Bryce

This looks right to me. Haniger and Slater headed to IL.

The only quibble I have is categorizing the Hebrew as an OF...I don't think he sniffs a start there. Sabol would be the fourth OF and LWJ the fifth.
I hope you are right, but as with much from this regime, I will believe it when I see it.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmmm... Unfair of me but the shine is slowly fading on Bart... for me anyway.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmmm... Unfair of me but the shine is slowly fading on Bart... for me anyway.
Not sure it is completely unfair. Much is expected of 1st round picks (although them getting the "bust" label isn't unusual). He needs work both offensively and defensively. One of them needs to improve to even stick in the big leagues.
I do hope he gets one more extended shot with the Giants before they move on but the clock is ticking.

By the way, here is where I inferred the possibility of a minor league assignment from camp - Farhan Zaidi gives update on where Giants stand on key roster decisions

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reportedly, the org is somewhat high on Bailey, and he may be ready for at least a cuppo this season, so the clock may be winding down on Bart faster than we may think..

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reportedly, the org is somewhat high on Bailey, and he may be ready for at least a cuppo this season, so the clock may be winding down on Bart faster than we may think..
I do think, at this point, that Bailey is overrated. However, he at least shows some defensive acumen. His bat is probably going to make us wish Bart 2022 was his platoon mate.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leaving this here. From the CBS sports site and their power ranking had the giants around 18, which is about where I would put them but with a good chance to be somewhat higher, the Quote by Mat Snyder(SP) was this-----> I don't know, man. Scrolling up and down the lineup, depth chart, rotation, bullpen, etc., this certainly isn't a bad team. It's just generally uninspiring. I think that is a fair assessment of this Team. I am hoping in the next few years our prospects that were so high can recover and be the core of this team in the future and that some mid tier prospects blow up and make this team exciting. :D

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leaving this here. From the CBS sports site and their power ranking had the giants around 18, which is about where I would put them but with a good chance to be somewhat higher, the Quote by Mat Snyder(SP) was this-----> I don't know, man. Scrolling up and down the lineup, depth chart, rotation, bullpen, etc., this certainly isn't a bad team. It's just generally uninspiring. I think that is a fair assessment of this Team. I am hoping in the next few years our prospects that were so high can recover and be the core of this team in the future and that some mid tier prospects blow up and make this team exciting.:D
I have a hard time determining how well this team will do. There is a possibility that this team wins 90+ games this year. There is also a possibility that they finish under .500. I think it really depends on how many of the injured and ineffective guys from last year (no matter where they played) can rebound and get back to their previous production. It feels like a lot to ask that all of them return to form.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time determining how well this team will do. There is a possibility that this team wins 90+ games this year. There is also a possibility that they finish under .500. I think it really depends on how many of the injured and ineffective guys from last year (no matter where they played) can rebound and get back to their previous production. It feels like a lot to ask that all of them return to form.
We don't need all of them to return to/gain better form. If that were to happen, we'd have waaaaay too many good healthy pitchers. Very unlikely. We don't need 2021 Yaz, Late Night Lamonte, Renaissance Craw, All-Star Forto and Meetch, Next Level Tyro, All Star Joc, etc.

We need a lineup that doesn't have obvious holes and a staff that doesn't have 2 or 3 moundshatters. Oh, and no rampant mittfuckery.