• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Rosterbation

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think of Japanese FAs. Do you really see the Giants' payroll exceeding 250m?
A boy can dream. It's better than watching the current club...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A boy can dream. It's better than watching the current club...
This team isn’t worth investing in. The farm needs to produce something before the FO should drop major coin on MLB assistance.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Chron today:

The San Francisco Giants still figure to offer an injured Shohei Ohtani a massive contract. Their approach with pitchers could give them a unique advantage.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Chron today:

The San Francisco Giants still figure to offer an injured Shohei Ohtani a massive contract. Their approach with pitchers could give them a unique advantage.
What approach is that? Use them as bulk pitchers for an opener? I really doubt the way the Giants handle pitching will be seen as a good thing to Ohtani. He wants to be an ace. The Dodgers' usage of pitchers is more traditional and aligns better with how he wants to pitch. That's just my opinion.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What approach is that? Use them as bulk pitchers for an opener? I really doubt the way the Giants handle pitching will be seen as a good thing to Ohtani. He wants to be an ace. The Dodgers' usage of pitchers is more traditional and aligns better with how he wants to pitch. That's just my opinion.
He may want that but after 2 TJs he may realize just going 3-4 innings every few days makes more sense

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Chron today:

That seems like a lot of justification and making our square hole look a circle for his round peg.

“Look at how rounded our corners are. Some even claim we are a circle”

(honestly, not intended to be innuendo).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure that's true. If it were, I'd think he'd insist on pitching every fifth game, instead of once a week. Thats where the Giants may have an advantage -- they'd be willing to be flexible with scheduling his starts.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure that's true. If it were, I'd think he'd insist on pitching every fifth game, instead of once a week. Thats where the Giants may have an advantage -- they'd be willing to be flexible with scheduling his starts.
I think any team who wants him will be flexible. Really don't see how the Giants present an advantage in that regard.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may want that but after 2 TJs he may realize just going 3-4 innings every few days makes more sense
That may be. He may also decide that he needs to stop pitching completely. Still, any team who wants to sign him is going to be flexible. I cannot picture a team who is pursuing him say "this is the way we do it so you are going to have to get used to it". That would be like someone pursuing Barry Bonds when he left the Pirates and telling him "We only have room for a 1st baseman so you'll just to have play there when you sign with us".

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That may be. He may also decide that he needs to stop pitching completely. Still, any team who wants to sign him is going to be flexible. I cannot picture a team who is pursuing him say "this is the way we do it so you are going to have to get used to it". That would be like someone pursuing Barry Bonds when he left the Pirates and telling him "We only have room for a 1st baseman so you'll just to have play there when you sign with us".
Yes of course. Whoever he signs with, that will all be discussed.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think any team who wants him will be flexible. Really don't see how the Giants present an advantage in that regard.
demonstrated flexibility with openers, piggybacking, etc.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If only we'd have taken that stance with Buster playing 3B....ah, what could've been...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With just a bit over a month of the 2023 season left, here are my thoughts on club options, player opt outs and pending free agents on the Giants' roster:

Club options:
Alex Cobb - I think the Giants will exercise this option and I'm okay with it. He can at least be a serviceable 4th/5th starter if age has caught up with him. If he still has more in the tank, he will be a good keep.
Paul DeJong - Too soon to know what the Giants do but I hope that they move on. Yes, he only has 4 games under his belt with the Giants but consider this - His OPS+ has trended downward since his rookie year. It only went up from last year to this year (thus far) because of a hot start to the 2023 season. He looked awful with the Blue Jays (thus the reason he is now a Giant) and he has gone 0 for 12 with 5 strikeouts in his 2nd through 4th games with the Giants. Maybe he catches fire this next month but is that really a good idea to gamble on one good month compared to 4 poor seasons? Pass.

Player opt outs:
Michael Conforto, Sean Manaea & Ross Stripling - Okay, these are easy. None of these guys will exercise their opt outs. They risk losing money. Okay, maybe Stripling if he finishes the year strong but I still have my doubts.

Free Agents:
Roberto Perez - He gone (maybe retires?).
Brandon Crawford - I cannot imagine him playing MLB games in 2024. I hope he gets a proper sendoff on the last day of the season.
Joc Pederson - I hope the Giants let him walk. His numbers offensively are not that good for a bat first player. He needs to be kept out of the outfield. The best way to do that is let another team be stupid enough to give him a glove in 2024. Make Flores the full time DH in 2024.
AJ Pollock - He better be gone.
Scott Alexander - Two months ago, I would see re-sign him. He's faded badly. He'll probably get a minor league deal somewhere. I'd be okay if that is with the Giants.
John Brebbia - His injury have made things murky, but I still lean toward re-signing him.
Jakob Junis - Another player in this group who needs to walk.
Alex Wood - Okay, see above. Fill that role with another pitcher (internal or external but hopefully Beck, Winn or both make the roster in 2024).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
demonstrated flexibility with openers, piggybacking, etc.
I still don't see that necessarily as an advantage. If he still wants to be a traditional starter in 2025, then that is possibly a disadvantage. If he isn't going to pitch any longer, then it is simply neutral. If he is open to different roles as a pitcher, I still think it is neutral. I doubt Ohtani is going to weigh that heavily into where he signs. I cannot see that tipping him one way or the other when it comes to the Giants.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With just a bit over a month of the 2023 season left, here are my thoughts on club options, player opt outs and pending free agents on the Giants' roster:

Club options:
Alex Cobb - I think the Giants will exercise this option and I'm okay with it. He can at least be a serviceable 4th/5th starter if age has caught up with him. If he still has more in the tank, he will be a good keep.
Paul DeJong - Too soon to know what the Giants do but I hope that they move on. Yes, he only has 4 games under his belt with the Giants but consider this - His OPS+ has trended downward since his rookie year. It only went up from last year to this year (thus far) because of a hot start to the 2023 season. He looked awful with the Blue Jays (thus the reason he is now a Giant) and he has gone 0 for 12 with 5 strikeouts in his 2nd through 4th games with the Giants. Maybe he catches fire this next month but is that really a good idea to gamble on one good month compared to 4 poor seasons? Pass.

Player opt outs:
Michael Conforto, Sean Manaea & Ross Stripling - Okay, these are easy. None of these guys will exercise their opt outs. They risk losing money. Okay, maybe Stripling if he finishes the year strong but I still have my doubts.

Free Agents:
Roberto Perez - He gone (maybe retires?).
Brandon Crawford - I cannot imagine him playing MLB games in 2024. I hope he gets a proper sendoff on the last day of the season.
Joc Pederson - I hope the Giants let him walk. His numbers offensively are not that good for a bat first player. He needs to be kept out of the outfield. The best way to do that is let another team be stupid enough to give him a glove in 2024. Make Flores the full time DH in 2024.
AJ Pollock - He better be gone.
Scott Alexander - Two months ago, I would see re-sign him. He's faded badly. He'll probably get a minor league deal somewhere. I'd be okay if that is with the Giants.
John Brebbia - His injury have made things murky, but I still lean toward re-signing him.
Jakob Junis - Another player in this group who needs to walk.
Alex Wood - Okay, see above. Fill that role with another pitcher (internal or external but hopefully Beck, Winn or both make the roster in 2024).
I think I mostly agree here. DeJong, Perez, Craw, Joc, Pollock, and Wood will be gone.

Cobb stays. Forto, Manaea, Strip, and Hanigar opt in.

Alex is a bubble guy. If he pulls it together the last month he is likely resigned.

Brebbia probably re-signed.

JJ is a bubble guy.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I mostly agree here. DeJong, Perez, Craw, Joc, Pollock, and Wood will be gone.

Alex is a bubble guy. If he pulls it together the last month he is likely resigned.

JJ is a bubble guy.
Good call on Alexander. If he can salvage his season, he is probably brought back and I think that will further push Junis out. I cannot see both being retained.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JJ is a bubble guy.
JJ is just a body. He doesn’t get any squatter’s rights.

Haniger is under contract. His option isn’t until after next season.

Wood likely doesn’t want to stay. He is the definition of disgruntled. He will only be back if there are absolutely no other options, and even then, he may go international before coming back.

I would like to see Brebbia back, but he is becoming an injury issue, so maybe it is best to move on.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JJ is just a body. He doesn’t get any squatter’s rights.

Haniger is under contract. His option isn’t until after next season.

Wood likely doesn’t want to stay. He is the definition of disgruntled. He will only be back if there are absolutely no other options, and even then, he may go international before coming back.

I would like to see Brebbia back, but he is becoming an injury issue, so maybe it is best to move on.
I missed that tzill added Haniger to this list. He keeps forgetting that the opt out is after 2024.

He called Alexander "Alex". He listed Wood as gone. I do agree with your assessment of him and had forgotten how disgruntled he is.

The Giants love injured pitchers. I'm not sure Brebbia's injuries will dissuade them.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be worse, could be the Angels. Ouch