• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Non-tender deadline

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy Thanksgiving fellow Giant fans. With the contract tender deadline approaching in 8 days, I thought I'd list the players that have to be tendered a contract for 2019. Anyone with less than 6 years of major league playing time have to go through this process. It is kind of weird because players with 3 to 5 years of service still have to go through arbitration or agree to a new contract and those less than 3 years (except for Super 2s) get their contracts renewed in March. Basically, this deadline is simply for teams to decide if they want to go down that road with a player.
Without further adieu, here is the list:
Pitchers
Melvin Adon
Tyler Beede
Ty Blach
Ray Black
Sam Coonrod
Sam Dyson
Derek Law
Reyes Moronta
Steven Okert
Josh Osich
Dereck Rodriguez
Chris Stratton
Hunter Strickland
Andrew Suarez
Logan Webb

Catchers
Aramis Garcia

Infielders
Abiatal Avelino, ss
Alen Hanson, 2nd
Ryder Jones, 1st
Joe Panik, 2nd

Outfielders

Steven Duggar
Gorkys Hernandez
Chris Shaw
Austin Slater
Mac Williamson

In previous years, I would have said that the likelihood of anyone not being tendered from this group would be low. However, with new management, considering the maneuvering so far, we could see a few names non-tendered next week. I would guess the most likely candidates are Sam Dyson, Derek Law, Josh Osich, Hunter Strickland, Alen Hanson, Joe Panik and Gorkys Hernandez.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy Thanksgiving fellow Giant fans. With the contract tender deadline approaching in 8 days, I thought I'd list the players that have to be tendered a contract for 2019. Anyone with less than 6 years of major league playing time have to go through this process. It is kind of weird because players with 3 to 5 years of service still have to go through arbitration or agree to a new contract and those less than 3 years (except for Super 2s) get their contracts renewed in March. Basically, this deadline is simply for teams to decide if they want to go down that road with a player.
Without further adieu, here is the list:
Pitchers
Melvin Adon
Tyler Beede
Ty Blach
Ray Black
Sam Coonrod
Sam Dyson
Derek Law
Reyes Moronta
Steven Okert
Josh Osich
Dereck Rodriguez
Chris Stratton
Hunter Strickland
Andrew Suarez
Logan Webb

Catchers
Aramis Garcia

Infielders
Abiatal Avelino, ss
Alen Hanson, 2nd
Ryder Jones, 1st
Joe Panik, 2nd

Outfielders

Steven Duggar
Gorkys Hernandez
Chris Shaw
Austin Slater
Mac Williamson

In previous years, I would have said that the likelihood of anyone not being tendered from this group would be low. However, with new management, considering the maneuvering so far, we could see a few names non-tendered next week. I would guess the most likely candidates are Sam Dyson, Derek Law, Josh Osich, Hunter Strickland, Alen Hanson, Joe Panik and Gorkys Hernandez.

I'd add Okert and Ryder Jones to that list. Okert is out of options and Jones hasn't done enough to guarantee a spot if the need arises.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd add Okert and Ryder Jones to that list. Okert is out of options and Jones hasn't done enough to guarantee a spot if the need arises.
Overt, sure. But Jones is still just a kid. If he was still in AA, we would be looking at him as a legit prospect. But he has been bouncing between AAA and MLB with very little MLB success, so he is DFA worthy?

I would be surprised if he were waived.

That said... New regime. Anything is possible.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overt, sure. But Jones is still just a kid. If he was still in AA, we would be looking at him as a legit prospect. But he has been bouncing between AAA and MLB with very little MLB success, so he is DFA worthy?

I would be surprised if he were waived.

That said... New regime. Anything is possible.

I don't expect him to be DFA'd, but if the need arises I could see him being one who gets cut.

I guess Mac should also be on the list, but I hope not.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect him to be DFA'd, but if the need arises I could see him being one who gets cut.

My gut reaction is that is that you are insane. Then I remember he is 29. Dude is almost done with his prime and has yet to get his rear wheels past the start line.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My gut reaction is that is that you are insane. Then I remember he is 29. Dude is almost done with his prime and has yet to get his rear wheels past the start line.

Who knows, maybe Zaidi likes him a lot. Maybe he's familiar with him when he worked with Justin Turner's swing guy. Maybe he sees the untapped potential still there.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would think it would be weird to non-tender Okert but not Osich. Okert had a better year and threw well in his limited time with SF. Osich couldn't get outs in AAA. In a currently thin outfield, why take a chance on non-tendering any of them? But it seems all bets are off if the team dfa'd Fernandez without getting a look at him after spring training 2018 and outrighted Johnson after a decent rebound season with Richmond. Maybe Zaidi and company are under the assumption that the 25 man roster has to be set by the end of December.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Five days to the non-tender deadline (I write that only because I posted in the wrong thread and needed to replace it with something else).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How here's a surprise:

Giants have non-tendered Hunter Strickland and Gorkys Hernandez.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've reached contract agreements with Dyson and Panik as well:

Dyson get's $5m, Panik gets $3.8m. Both below MLB Trade Rumors' predictions.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other intriguing non-tendered players:

Avisial Garcia
Matt Davidson
Jonathan Schoop
Robbie Grossman
Justin Bour
Tim Beckham
Blake Parker

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we didn’t have the new regime, I feel confident in saying Hamilton would be a Giant next year. But I don’t get the sense he is FZ’s type of player.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we didn’t have the new regime, I feel confident in saying Hamilton would be a Giant next year. But I don’t get the sense he is FZ’s type of player.

Totally agree. He's a good player for AT&T though. I'd take him as a 4th OFer on the cheap

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree. He's a good player for AT&T though. I'd take him as a 4th OFer on the cheap
Doubt he will be an “on the cheap” player. His name caries cache. That is worth something.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How here's a surprise:

Giants have non-tendered Hunter Strickland and Gorkys Hernandez.
Either Zahidi is incredibly brilliant or incredibly stupid. Why open so many 40 man roster spots? Does he really plan on picking up a bunch of Rule 5 picks/free agents?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Big Willie Style is tendered but not signed yet?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Big Willie Style is tendered but not signed yet?
Yep. Not unusual for the process to work that way. Most pre-arb guys get tendered but their contracts don't get renewed until the start of spring training. It is becoming more unlikely for guys to go to arbitration but some still do. From what I understand of the process, the tendering of a contract is simply the club committing to the process of a new contract.