• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Rosterbation

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is just radio talk, but KNBR was talking about this all day, and they seemed to agree that the Giants have a strong chance of landing him. In fact, Tom was saying it would be great theater for the team to announce the signing tomorrow at Fanfest.

I just don’t see why he wouldn’t go to the Phils. That match just makes the most sense.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is just radio talk, but KNBR was talking about this all day, and they seemed to agree that the Giants have a strong chance of landing him. In fact, Tom was saying it would be great theater for the team to announce the signing tomorrow at Fanfest.

I just don’t see why he wouldn’t go to the Phils. That match just makes the most sense.
I know that the Giants don't make a lot of sense for him but I do wonder, with the lack of real movement this offseason, that the Giants go all in on him. Most likely, they just help his bidding go up. The Padres were talking about him, what, two weeks ago? I know that gut feelings aren't trustworthy. I don't put much stock into it. But I wouldn't be surprised if he's in a Giants' uniform in about a month.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that the Giants don't make a lot of sense for him but I do wonder, with the lack of real movement this offseason, that the Giants go all in on him. Most likely, they just help his bidding go up. The Padres were talking about him, what, two weeks ago? I know that gut feelings aren't trustworthy. I don't put much stock into it. But I wouldn't be surprised if he's in a Giants' uniform in about a month.
My gut says he doesn’t sign here. He doesn’t hit well at McCovey (trying that as a new name - we’ll see how that goes), so why would he want to damage his legacy in SF?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My gut says he doesn’t sign here. He doesn’t hit well at McCovey (trying that as a new name - we’ll see how that goes), so why would he want to damage his legacy in SF?

McCovey.. I like it....

Rain most all day tomorrow.. I predict the lowest fanfest turnout since moving to SF. I'm a blk away and doubt I'll go for the 1st time since we've moved to the city

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OH YEAH!?!!?! WELL, MY GUT . . .

Just kidding. You are most likely right. Philly seems the most logical spot for him. Nice place to pad his home run count.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where ever Harper signs is clearly going to be a decision that comes from 'within' Harper himself and I think it will be more psychological that anything else. Harper will get anywhere from 7-10 years at 30+ a year. IMHO that is a given. He will not make a decision solely based on the money offered. He will get what he wants from quite a few different teams. So the questions really are ... what factors are important to Harper? And what are the priorities of these factors ...

As an example ... if he goes with PHI he will immediately have his sights on a WS title. They will be a contending team in 2019 and forward.. Probably an important factor! But, in reality Harper will be one of quite a few 'key' players in the PHI organization. The PHI organization will NOT be built around Harper. He will be a major part of the organization but he will share the limelight with quite a few others.

SF is another story all together. If Harper decides to come here he already must know that a 2019 run at the WS is really not in the cards. but what could he see that would make us a real candidate for the next 10 years or so?

I'm guessing he would be promised that we will try and put together a team that will compete within the next 2-3 years. I'm also guessing that he would see himself as the center of the building effort. The team would be built AROUND HIM. He would be much more than just 'a piece' of the puzzle. Harper would be sold as the new youth and direction of the organization. He would most likely become the face of the Giants moving forward. He would be something close to an actual 'brand' for SF baseball. I would also think, that if played correctly .... there could be LOTS of money in endorsements for Harper, the Giants and MLB itself.

Just my thoughts on the subject .... I do find the possibilities interesting ...

Reactions: LHG

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Apparently the Cardinals are in there too. Is this a good idea for the Giants?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Cardinals are in there too. Is this a good idea for the Giants?
I'm sure Boras will make sure as much publicity on how many teams are in on him is shared. Its a great tool for a team to panic and offer a wild deal.
I do think its questionable for the Giants to sign him (if they indeed are serious about the idea. I also realize that the FO and ownership HAVE to talk this up since they are linked now). He would undoubtedly improve the lineup, the outfield and the PR of the org. However, how much would his deal handicap this team's spending efforts, both on the free agent market (for the right free agents) and in building the farm? I won't say its a good deal, my only thought is that it really may be a serious effort by the club.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think signing him will handcuff the team that much moving forward. The tax ceiling keeps moving up and income keeps increasing exponentially. And the Giants are a top 5 $$ org. They can certainly afford it. This situation reminds me quite a bit of Bonds in 93. And that was one of the best FA signings in the history of sports.

So does Harper want to try to be in discussions with Mays, McCovey, Bonds, Cepeda and Ott or with Schmidt, and... Luzinski??

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants plan on making Harper a short-term, big-money offer, but they’re uninterested in giving him a long-term contract along the lines of the 10-year, $300MM proposal he rejected from the Nationals, Bob Nightengale of USA Todayreports.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Melkman signing a minor league deal with the Pirates, here's my updated Top 10 remaining outfield free agents:
Bryce Harper
Robbie Grossman
Marwin Gonzalez
Carlos Gonzalez
Adam Jones
Denard Span
Gerardo Parra
Cameron Maybin
Austin Jackson
Carlos Gomez

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants plan on making Harper a short-term, big-money offer, but they’re uninterested in giving him a long-term contract along the lines of the 10-year, $300MM proposal he rejected from the Nationals, Bob Nightengale of USA Todayreports.
I understand the logic of locking him in long term, but signing him to a short term deal is just stupid (from a competitive POV).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the logic of locking him in long term, but signing him to a short term deal is just stupid (from a competitive POV).
Its obvious that the short term deal would be a huge PR move for the masses to think "gee, they are really working on putting a winner on the field!" And maybe the ownership/FO hopes that he likes it here so much that he'd be willing to stick around longer when his deal expires (or really want to avoid the latter years of his 10 year deal). That makes me wonder, how does Harper's work ethic compare to Barry's?

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You all have probably already read this but, just in case, here's an article on the team's visit with Bryce Harper and Scott Boras - Zaidi: Harper, Giants have 'mutual interest' after meeting

Its just a gut feeling but I think we've got a strong chance to land him and may just do that.

Yeah, I read that as "Giants' new GM meets to deflect concerns from fans about not spending" and "Harper's agent keeps him in the news, to hopefully raise his price".

Seriously, spending big money to get Harper would be a waste and limit the team in other areas.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Melkman signing a minor league deal with the Pirates, here's my updated Top 10 remaining outfield free agents:
Bryce Harper
Robbie Grossman
Marwin Gonzalez
Carlos Gonzalez
Adam Jones
Denard Span
Gerardo Parra
Cameron Maybin
Austin Jackson
Carlos Gomez

The Giants should just ignore big-ticket agents this off-season.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read that these are the Vegas odds of where Harper lands:

Giants 1/1
Padres 5/2
Phillies 4/1
Dodgers 15/2
Nationals 10/1

I'm not a betting man, so I don't fully understand these numbers (nor do I know how they are determined) but I do know that they now have the Giants as favorites.
Here's what Tim Dierkes of MLB Rumors had to say about it: "I suppose Vegas has a point here and they are the current favorite. I could see something like $140MM over four years, with an opt-out after year 2. Maybe stack $80MM of it up front over those first two years."

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read that these are the Vegas odds of where Harper lands:

Giants 1/1
Padres 5/2
Phillies 4/1
Dodgers 15/2
Nationals 10/1

I'm not a betting man, so I don't fully understand these numbers (nor do I know how they are determined) but I do know that they now have the Giants as favorites.
Here's what Tim Dierkes of MLB Rumors had to say about it: "I suppose Vegas has a point here and they are the current favorite. I could see something like $140MM over four years, with an opt-out after year 2. Maybe stack $80MM of it up front over those first two years."
They are determined by Vegas wanting to make money. The fact that the last 2 teams to be linked to him are the Giants and Pads explain why they have the best odds. I would be shocked if he didn’t sign with the Phils.