• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Rosterbation

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Generally agree, except that I doubt Holland is in the pen. I'm sure he signed with the intent to start and the Giants intend to start him. I don't know if that means Suarez goes to AAA as insurance for the rotation or becomes the long man. I also think it will be a competition between Bergen, Blach, Black, Law, Okert, Osich and Venditte for the final two bullpen spots. At least two of them won't be on the 40 man roster when the season opens.
Venditte, I think, is a lock. He signed an MLB contract.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Venditte, I think, is a lock. He signed an MLB contract.
I believe that Venditte has one option left. When he first came up in 2015, his contract was purchased on June 5th, put on the dl June 12th and sent to the minors for rehab on July 23rd. He was optioned on August 3rd but recalled August 15th and stayed on the active roster the rest of the season. My understanding on the option rule is that since it was less than 20 days spent in the minor leagues on an option that there was no option year burnt in 2015. He would have an option used in 2016. He did not pitch in the big leagues in 2017 (and was not on a 40 man roster that year). His 2nd option would have been used in 2018.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that Venditte has one option left. When he first came up in 2015, his contract was purchased on June 5th, put on the dl June 12th and sent to the minors for rehab on July 23rd. He was optioned on August 3rd but recalled August 15th and stayed on the active roster the rest of the season. My understanding on the option rule is that since it was less than 20 days spent in the minor leagues on an option that there was no option year burnt in 2015. He would have an option used in 2016. He did not pitch in the big leagues in 2017 (and was not on a 40 man roster that year). His 2nd option would have been used in 2018.
I think (and I could be wrong) that once a player is out of Arb years, all options are voided.

However, RosterResource does list him as having 1 option remaining.

You may be right...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think (and I could be wrong) that once a player is out of Arb years, all options are voided.

However, RosterResource does list him as having 1 option remaining.

You may be right...
How would he be out of arb years? He's only got 56 major league games under his belt across 3 big league seasons.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would he be out of arb years? He's only got 56 major league games under his belt across 3 big league seasons.
:bolt:

he doesn’t go into Arb 1 until 2021

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Generally agree, except that I doubt Holland is in the pen. I'm sure he signed with the intent to start and the Giants intend to start him. I don't know if that means Suarez goes to AAA as insurance for the rotation or becomes the long man. I also think it will be a competition between Bergen, Blach, Black, Law, Okert, Osich and Venditte for the final two bullpen spots. At least two of them won't be on the 40 man roster when the season opens.
I read somewhere that FZ is leaning toward both Suarez and DRod starting in AAA, and then shuttling them up and down as needed/performance indicates.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Giants trade both Watson and Smith, do you see either Pomeranz and/or Holland filling those roles or do both stick in the rotation, regardless of bullpen needs?

I doubt Smith and Watson are traded before the season starts, and I anticipate that Holland and Pomeranz are penciled into the rotation at the outset so I see them sticking there for a bit.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DRod!?!? Really? Why?

While it wouldn't be ideal for him to start in the minors, I do think the Giants are going to use 7-8 starters this year and each will get a good amount of starts. Plus Shark probably won't be ready at the outset anyway.

I don't think this is going to be a huge deal once the season starts.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the current list of non-roster invitees, which I'm sure will change:

DxsfPAuVYAA4z_O

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the current list of non-roster invitees, which I'm sure will change:

DxsfPAuVYAA4z_O
Wow, most of those guys are 6 years that they signed this offseason. The only ones were already in the org in 2018 are Anderson, Menez, Williams, Wolff, Bart and Howard.
The only ones who will get a serious look are probably Rupp and maybe Sampson, Wolff and Solano.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He prizes flexibility, and doesn't want to overwork the younger arms.

We'll see how it plays out.
We will. I just don't see how starting one of last year's best starters in the minor leagues prevents overwork. The wear and tear is the same in the minor leagues as it is in the big leagues.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will. I just don't see how starting one of last year's best starters in the minor leagues prevents overwork. The wear and tear is the same in the minor leagues as it is in the big leagues.
Yes and no.

More adrenaline in the bigs. And there is more pressure to pitch past any discomfort. In the minors, is you look into the lights too long, no biggie, go to the pen.

Basically, a pitch in the minors is the same as a pitch in the bigs. But in the bigs, you will throw more “dangerous” pitches that you wouldn’t throw in the minors.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and no.

More adrenaline in the bigs. And there is more pressure to pitch past any discomfort. In the minors, is you look into the lights too long, no biggie, go to the pen.

Basically, a pitch in the minors is the same as a pitch in the bigs. But in the bigs, you will throw more “dangerous” pitches that you wouldn’t throw in the minors.
Yeah, but a guy sent back to the minor leagues may pitch with a chip his shoulder, wanting to prove he belongs back in the big leagues. So the games may not carry as much, in general, but the pitcher may overthrow in an attempt to look even better.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but a guy sent back to the minor leagues may pitch with a chip his shoulder, wanting to prove he belongs back in the big leagues. So the games may not carry as much, in general, but the pitcher may overthrow in an attempt to look even better.
I have heard interviews with experts (player, coaches, whatever) who have said that players come out of minor league games must faster if the manager/pitching coach see even the slightest hint of an issue. So if they suspect he is over throwing, he is taken out faster. In the bigs, he is given an inning or so to “work it out”.

I agree with your assessment that that can be a factor. But I also believe that at the end of the day, all variables factored in, the AVERAGE minor league pitch is less dangerous than the AVERAGE major league pitch.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants Still Looking For Veteran Outfielders
Saw this article today and I have one question: Why? This team isn't going to be serious playoff contenders, and, as the article notes, the outfield would be the only place veterans won't be starting as currently configured. What is the point of bringing in veterans outfielders (up to 3 of them!?!?) when the market isn't that great to begin with?

Look at the top 10 list I recently made - the first guy, Bryce Harper, isn't coming here. The next guy on the list is Robbie Grossman. ROBBIE GROSSMAN folks! Marwin Gonzalez, at number 3, is grossly overrated, mainly due to his versatility and his numbers posted due to his home park. From there, we've got a fading star who played in Colorado (Carlos Gonzalez), a PED user who once was a Giant All-Star (Melky), another fading star who will likely want an overpay (fading both offensively and defensively - Adam Jones), and some 4th outfielders (Span, Parra, Joyce). Just beyond my top 10 is a former prospect that people cannot seem to get over his potential (Maybin) and a player the Giants jettisoned just last season (Austin Jackson).

I really hope that Zaidi only signs one, maybe two, outfielders merely as insurance, nothing more. If our outfielders cannot do anything in the first couple of months of the season, and the team is somehow contending, there will be outfielders to grab on the trading block.

Pollock to the Dodgers
Top 10 remaining outfield free agents: Bryce Harper, Robbie Grossman, Marwin Gonzalez, Carlos Gonzalez, Curtis Granderson, Melky Cabrera, Adam Jones, Denard Span, Gerardo Parra and Matt Joyce (we've come to this).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants Still Looking For Veteran Outfielders
Saw this article today and I have one question: Why? This team isn't going to be serious playoff contenders, and, as the article notes, the outfield would be the only place veterans won't be starting as currently configured. What is the point of bringing in veterans outfielders (up to 3 of them!?!?) when the market isn't that great to begin with?

Look at the top 10 list I recently made - the first guy, Bryce Harper, isn't coming here. The next guy on the list is Robbie Grossman. ROBBIE GROSSMAN folks! Marwin Gonzalez, at number 3, is grossly overrated, mainly due to his versatility and his numbers posted due to his home park. From there, we've got a fading star who played in Colorado (Carlos Gonzalez), a PED user who once was a Giant All-Star (Melky), another fading star who will likely want an overpay (fading both offensively and defensively - Adam Jones), and some 4th outfielders (Span, Parra, Joyce). Just beyond my top 10 is a former prospect that people cannot seem to get over his potential (Maybin) and a player the Giants jettisoned just last season (Austin Jackson).

I really hope that Zaidi only signs one, maybe two, outfielders merely as insurance, nothing more. If our outfielders cannot do anything in the first couple of months of the season, and the team is somehow contending, there will be outfielders to grab on the trading block.

The outfield market is so bad that I'd be pretty disappointed if they signed anyone TBH. Maybe Grossman and Joyce could be okay.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The outfield market is so bad that I'd be pretty disappointed if they signed anyone TBH. Maybe Grossman and Joyce could be okay.
Grossman is okay. He knows how to get on base but doesn't have the pop of someone like Belt (much less Williamson or Shaw) and his defense measures out poorly. However, he is also young (for a free agent) so he may be able to post a career year in 2019.
Joyce, on the other hand is a bit older (34) and has been wildly inconsistent. He bookend two good years (2016 & 2017) with two awful seasons (2015 & 2018). Considering his age, I feel that he was not be an upgrade from a struggling Williamson or Shaw at all.