• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Rosterbation

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You all probably know this already, but I found this information about what the Giants stand to lose if they sign any of the 6 free agents (Harper, Pollock, Corbin, Grandal, Kimbrel and Kuechel) who declined qualifying offers (from MLB Trade Rumors):

All Other Clubs: Cubs, White Sox, Astros, Dodgers, Angels, Mets, Yankees, Phillies, Giants, Cardinals, Rangers, Blue Jays

These 12 remaining teams would forfeit their second-highest pick and and have their international signing bonus pool reduced by $500K. The penalty is something of a middle ground, but it would sting for a team like the White Sox to sacrifice a pick in the 40s.

The only one I'd entertain would be Harper, and I'm not even too thrilled about it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only one I'd entertain would be Harper, and I'm not even too thrilled about it.
Who have the Giants gotten in the 2nd round lately who has been worth a shit, though?

Reynolds
Aramis Garcia
Ryder Jones
Andrew Suarez
Martin Agosta (bust)
Andrew Susac (!!!!)
Jarrett Parker
ToJo
EME
Nate
Jennings (???)
FLew
Foppert
Niekro

Suarez is probably the only guy there I would lose a wink of sleep over if we never had (although the ToJo trade was quite epic).

I don’t want to punt picks. Especially in the rebuild era we are (should be) in. But if we can get a solid 3-4 year starter for a 2nd rounder, it makes sense.

That said, draft compensation aside, I would really only be interested in Harper, Pollock or MAYBE Corbin or Keuchel. My pref, like you, though is to not get any of them. But that is due to my desire to blow this MFer up.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who have the Giants gotten in the 2nd round lately who has been worth a shit, though?

Reynolds
Aramis Garcia
Ryder Jones
Andrew Suarez
Martin Agosta (bust)
Andrew Susac (!!!!)
Jarrett Parker
ToJo
EME
Nate
Jennings (???)
FLew
Foppert
Niekro

Suarez is probably the only guy there I would lose a wink of sleep over if we never had (although the ToJo trade was quite epic).

I don’t want to punt picks. Especially in the rebuild era we are (should be) in. But if we can get a solid 3-4 year starter for a 2nd rounder, it makes sense.

That said, draft compensation aside, I would really only be interested in Harper, Pollock or MAYBE Corbin or Keuchel. My pref, like you, though is to not get any of them. But that is due to my desire to blow this MFer up.

It's not necessarily about who they pick there, but also the money that they would lose. In 2018 the 10th pick in the 2nd round was worth $1.32 million. That's $1.32 million that would be deducted from the Giants' bonus pool. Maybe the 2nd round picks haven't been too inspiring, but their 3rd, 4th, 5th+ round picks lately have been littered with guys who were over-slot guys. Add in the loss of $500k in international bonus money, out of a possible $4.9 million, it's a pretty still penalty.

Now I'm not saying that a 2nd round pick and some cash is definitely more valuable than Corbin, but I just think with the position the team is in, I don't see it being worth it. Corbin is gonna get a lot of money.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bum makes a lot of sense for them, but also Belt could too. The Astros have some very intriguing prospects. Maybe the Giants could strike up a bidding war between them and the Braves

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bum makes a lot of sense for them, but also Belt could too. The Astros have some very intriguing prospects. Maybe the Giants could strike up a bidding war between them and the Braves
I'm good with that. Especially the bidding war part. I like lots of high quality prospects.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lonnie Chisenhall is signing a one year for less than $3 million with the Pirates. I wouldn't have minded that to have been with the Giants.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lonnie Chisenhall is signing a one year for less than $3 million with the Pirates. I wouldn't have minded that to have been with the Giants.
I dunno, dude hasn't produced at a starter level since 2015.

He might rebound, and it's a small cost, but I'm not losing any sleep.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just screams "value" to me. If he's healthy, he'll produce. Would have been nice to get him, and possibly flip him at the deadline.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno, dude hasn't produced at a starter level since 2015.

He might rebound, and it's a small cost, but I'm not losing any sleep.
Are you looking at the right guy? His 2015 season was awful but he hit nicely since then. His problem was been staying healthy.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you looking at the right guy? His 2015 season was awful but he hit nicely since then. His problem was been staying healthy.
I think so.

Look at his WAR, the only year he's produced at a starter's level (2.0) was 2015 where he put up 2.3.

The other years in his career have all been sub 2.0.

Looking a little more closely, his WAR in 2015 was mostly due to his stellar defense (1.9 dWAR).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think so.

Look at his WAR, the only year he's produced at a starter's level (2.0) was 2015 where he put up 2.3.

The other years in his career have all been sub 2.0.

Looking a little more closely, his WAR in 2015 was mostly due to his stellar defense (1.9 dWAR).
His defense in 2015 seems to be an aberration as he never got close to that kind of dWAR before or since that season. He seems like he's a left fielder stuck playing right field. But to compare WAR from 2015 to 2017 and 2018 is a bit shallow as he was injured for most of those seasons. I think he would have been an asset in left field at $3 million.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His defense in 2015 seems to be an aberration as he never got close to that kind of dWAR before or since that season. He seems like he's a left fielder stuck playing right field. But to compare WAR from 2015 to 2017 and 2018 is a bit shallow as he was injured for most of those seasons. I think he would have been an asset in left field at $3 million.

Maybe, and I understand that WAR is a counting stat. Looked at another way: if fully healthy (which he has only 2014 as evidence), he appears to be a league average hitter, and 2.0 WAR player. At $3M that's an asset, I agree. However, the odds he can play 150+ games and put up 2 WAR seem pretty low.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, and I understand that WAR is a counting stat. Looked at another way: if fully healthy (which he has only 2014 as evidence), he appears to be a league average hitter, and 2.0 WAR player. At $3M that's an asset, I agree. However, the odds he can play 150+ games and put up 2 WAR seem pretty low.
I think that Mac Williamson could do that, and much more cheaply, if healthy and give the chance. The big if is whether he'll be fully recovered from that nast concussion. But even if he does fully recover, I have my doubts the Giants, even under a new regime, would give him a solid chance. So Chisenhall, at $3 million, would have been a nice signing. His injury likelihood would have allowed Williamson a chance and if he was healthy, he may have put up good numbers. I'm kind of resigned to see someone with a lesser bat get signed or traded for (Jay Bruce, for instance) for a higher amount instead.