• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Rosterbation

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to balance things out on Harper, another take from MLB Trade Rumors:
  • It remains to be seen what stance the Giants will take with regard to Harper, particularly as Farhan Zaidi settles into his new digs atop the club’s baseball operations department. As John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle reports, though, agent Scott Boras certainly seems to see San Francisco as a viable landing spot for his client. Harper, he says, views the organization fondly — and would not only deliver value on the field, but off of it. As for the club’s viewpoint, it’s tough to say whether Harper will be deemed a sensible target. CEO Larry Baer said “there’s no restrictions” for his new top baseball decisionmaker; whether or not to join the bidding on Harper (or other hyper-expensive free agents) is “a judgment [Zaidi] is going to need to make.”

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I'd love to see Harper in an SF uniform I'm not sure it's a wise division unless they also intend to put on one hell of a 'splurge' in this FA season. If you look at the 2017 playoff teams you see that many were long ball oriented. They lived with the long ball. Many had 3 or more 20+ in their line-ups. A few had multiple 30+. Having Harper with nothing around him seems to seriously negate has overall value. They just won't pitch to him in many situations. There was little breathing room for a pitcher going against Boston or LA. Puts a lot of pressure on the pitching staff.

I'm also guessing that Harper goes for 30M+ a year. Maybe it would be better to get two FAs at 20M. Harper would be only one slot in the line-up at 30M. If you add the other 10M you'd get an additional slot. I'm also thinking that both slots at 20M would be quality slots. I'm also thinking that two slots at that level (20M) will bring you more than 1 slot at 30M during the course of 162 games.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I'd love to see Harper in an SF uniform I'm not sure it's a wise division unless they also intend to put on one hell of a 'splurge' in this FA season. If you look at the 2017 playoff teams you see that many were long ball oriented. They lived with the long ball. Many had 3 or more 20+ in their line-ups. A few had multiple 30+. Having Harper with nothing around him seems to seriously negate has overall value. They just won't pitch to him in many situations. There was little breathing room for a pitcher going against Boston or LA. Puts a lot of pressure on the pitching staff.

I'm also guessing that Harper goes for 30M+ a year. Maybe it would be better to get two FAs at 20M. Harper would be only one slot in the line-up at 30M. If you add the other 10M you'd get an additional slot. I'm also thinking that both slots at 20M would be quality slots. I'm also thinking that two slots at that level (20M) will bring you more than 1 slot at 30M during the course of 162 games.
The drop off in free agent hitters from Harper and Machado is, in my opinion, staggering. The Giants would be better looking for long ball hitters on the trade market. However, their lack of perceived depth in the farm system would hurt them on that side and trading off major league pieces, if the team is going for it, would be counter productive. Ultimately, a Harper signing would be a PR move.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same could have been said of Bonds, but it was worth the headaches. If the Giants are passing on Harper and Machado, then I hope a rebuild really does happen and we forego free agents (other than minor league ones, which the farm is in desperate need of in the upper minors and dumpster dives).

I generally agree, but comparing Harper to Bonds is like comparing apples to dump trucks. Bonds was arguably the GOAT, Harper just hit .249.

Not impugning Harper's talent...just sayin.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's already turned down 300/10...so, yeah.

He's going to get $35M+for 12+ years.

I'd hard pass.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I generally agree, but comparing Harper to Bonds is like comparing apples to dump trucks. Bonds was arguably the GOAT, Harper just hit .249.

Not impugning Harper's talent...just sayin.
I won't try to argue that Harper is a better talent than Bonds. Bonds is a once in three generation talent. However, when Bonds was 24 years old, he did hit .248. Harper was 25 when he hit .249 (he also hit .243 at 23, and Bonds didn't have two seasons of average that low). More telling, I think, is OPS. In Harper's .249 season, his OPS was still a good .889. Bonds' .247 season had an OPS of .777. Bonds did go into free agency with 3 seasons after that where his numbers just got better and better (before exploding in his first season with SF) but Bonds was also 2 years older than Harper when he hit free agency.
I'm not trying to advocate Harper signing with the Giants, although I am on the fence about it. Nor am I trying to say Harper is on the same level as Bonds, but he may be closer than you think.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Trade Rumors suggests that Gorkys Hernandez is a non-tender candidate. What think you? Is that even a possibility? I'd think Joe Panik is a more likely possibility of being non-tendered.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Trade Rumors suggests that Gorkys Hernandez is a non-tender candidate. What think you? Is that even a possibility? I'd think Joe Panik is a more likely possibility of being non-tendered.
Mac
Dugger
Shaw (??)
Slater (??)

No way SHOULD he be non-tendered, but with only Mac and Dugger holding definite spots, there will be a lot of new blood coming in. Maybe Faidi wants to clean the whole slate.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Athletic's Eno Sarris released his thoughts on what the Giants could do under new management:

Trade Bumgarner for Bryse Wilson (something I've mentioned here before).

Trade Belt for Sonny Gray and Greg Bird (meh).

Trade Rodriguez for Domingo Santana (not against trading Rodriguez, but IDK how I'd feel about this).

Trade Scrabble for Yoenis Cespedes and Ronny Mauricio (this one is interesting).

Trade Watson, Smith and Strick at the 2019 trade deadline (this is could be a given if the team is as bad as we expect).

The one here that really sticks out to me would be the Shark-Cespedes trade. I think that would be veryyyy interesting for the Giants, and the type of move they should be looking at. Shark is owed $36 million on his contract, but Cespedes is owed $60 million. For the extra $24 million the Giants are basically buying a prospect, but that's how teams like the Giants should be operating. Big budgets can afford to take on salary and buy more lottery tickets.

It's time for the Giants to rebuild and here's a multi-step...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Athletic's Eno Sarris released his thoughts on what the Giants could do under new management:

Trade Bumgarner for Bryse Wilson (something I've mentioned here before).

Trade Belt for Sonny Gray and Greg Bird (meh).

Trade Rodriguez for Domingo Santana (not against trading Rodriguez, but IDK how I'd feel about this).

Trade Scrabble for Yoenis Cespedes and Ronny Mauricio (this one is interesting).

Trade Watson, Smith and Strick at the 2019 trade deadline (this is could be a given if the team is as bad as we expect).

The one here that really sticks out to me would be the Shark-Cespedes trade. I think that would be veryyyy interesting for the Giants, and the type of move they should be looking at. Shark is owed $36 million on his contract, but Cespedes is owed $60 million. For the extra $24 million the Giants are basically buying a prospect, but that's how teams like the Giants should be operating. Big budgets can afford to take on salary and buy more lottery tickets.

It's time for the Giants to rebuild and here's a multi-step...
I'm not familiar with Bryse Wilson so I'll trust you on this being a good trade.

I am not a fan at all of the Belt (surprise!). If he fully recovers, he could have a monster year with the Yankees. Gray may make the trade worthwhile, if he bounces back in the Bay, but Bird would be a subpar replacement at 1st base.

Not really a fan of Santana anymore. His 2018 season was not good. In my opinion, this would be selling low on Rodriguez. I think the team could do better on this one.

The Samardzija trade would be interesting. However, I have a hard time believing the Mets would be on the market for starting pitching. If they wanted to do a trade like that, they'd be looking for prospects or salary relief. I don't think this would bring enough of that.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not familiar with Bryse Wilson so I'll trust you on this being a good trade.

I am not a fan at all of the Belt (surprise!). If he fully recovers, he could have a monster year with the Yankees. Gray may make the trade worthwhile, if he bounces back in the Bay, but Bird would be a subpar replacement at 1st base.

Not really a fan of Santana anymore. His 2018 season was not good. In my opinion, this would be selling low on Rodriguez. I think the team could do better on this one.

The Samardzija trade would be interesting. However, I have a hard time believing the Mets would be on the market for starting pitching. If they wanted to do a trade like that, they'd be looking for prospects or salary relief. I don't think this would bring enough of that.
I think I know why @calsnowskier liked this post. I forgot the word "trade" in the first sentence of the 2nd paragraph (I am not a fan at all of the Belt). Sorry cal, I meant not a fan of the Belt trade proposal. Sorry to disappoint you.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I know why @calsnowskier liked this post. I forgot the word "trade" in the first sentence of the 2nd paragraph (I am not a fan at all of the Belt). Sorry cal, I meant not a fan of the Belt trade proposal. Sorry to disappoint you.
Never mind the well-thoughtout counter arguments.

I liked the typo!!!

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wilson would feel like a disappointing return, but I think we have to set realistic expectations for a Bum return. Coming off 2 years of injuries, hasn't quite looked as elite and he's about to be due a hefty raise. Wilson is 20, has 3 plus pitches and is close to the bigs (had a small cuppo last year). That would be pretty good for the Giants. (edit: maybe the Giants could take a contract in return and get another prospect or something... but they really don't have a bad contract)

Agree re-Belt. Rather hang onto him than trade him for that. He's not a huge burden on that contract and you'd be selling low.

Agree re-Santana, although I think the team should trade D-Rod. His value may never be higher.

The reasoning behind the Shark trade for the Mets is that they'd save a ton of money. I'm not really familiar with their situation, are they looking to add a free agent? The author seemed to think so.

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Pavs, it is believed around the league that one of Zaidi’s early priorities will be to liquidate Longo.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson would feel like a disappointing return, but I think we have to set realistic expectations for a Bum return. Coming off 2 years of injuries, hasn't quite looked as elite and he's about to be due a hefty raise. Wilson is 20, has 3 plus pitches and is close to the bigs (had a small cuppo last year). That would be pretty good for the Giants. (edit: maybe the Giants could take a contract in return and get another prospect or something... but they really don't have a bad contract)

Agree re-Belt. Rather hang onto him than trade him for that. He's not a huge burden on that contract and you'd be selling low.

Agree re-Santana, although I think the team should trade D-Rod. His value may never be higher.

The reasoning behind the Shark trade for the Mets is that they'd save a ton of money. I'm not really familiar with their situation, are they looking to add a free agent? The author seemed to think so.
I don't disagree on trading D-Rod. I just think they could get more than Santana.
With the Mets having a new GM, I don't know the direction they'll take this offseason. Probably depends on whether ownership is going to invest in the club. Could be that a trade like that would help them lower payroll. The team has a few needs, though, so I don't know how well trading Cespedes would be. If they go young, he provides the name in the lineup to draw fans. If they try to contend, he's the bat they build around.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Pavs, it is believed around the league that one of Zaidi’s early priorities will be to liquidate Longo.
Seems pretty harsh, wouldn't it be more humane to trade him?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You all probably know this already, but I found this information about what the Giants stand to lose if they sign any of the 6 free agents (Harper, Pollock, Corbin, Grandal, Kimbrel and Kuechel) who declined qualifying offers (from MLB Trade Rumors):

All Other Clubs: Cubs, White Sox, Astros, Dodgers, Angels, Mets, Yankees, Phillies, Giants, Cardinals, Rangers, Blue Jays

These 12 remaining teams would forfeit their second-highest pick and and have their international signing bonus pool reduced by $500K. The penalty is something of a middle ground, but it would sting for a team like the White Sox to sacrifice a pick in the 40s.