• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Awards Finalists announced

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AL MVP: Chris Davis, Miguel Cabrera, Mike Trout
NL MVP: Andrew McCutchen, Paul Goldschmidt, Yadier Molina
AL Cy Young: Max Scherzer, Yu Darvish, Hisashi Iwakuma
NL Cy Young: Clayton Kershaw, Adam Wainwright, Jose Fernandez
AL MOY: John Farrell, Terry Francona, Bob Melvin
NL MOY: Clint Hurdle, Fredi Gonzalez, Don Mattingly
AL ROY: Wil Myers, Jose Iglesias, Chris Archer
NL ROY: Yasiel Puig, Jose Fernandez, Shelby Miller

My votes:
AL MVP: Trout -best player in the game had another great season
NL MVP: Goldschmidt - better year than McCutchen- don't give me the "they missed the playoffs" BS
AL Cy: Scherzer - Scherzer had the best sesason
NL Cy: Kershaw - best pitcher in the game
AL MOY: Farrell - not a homer pick -revitalized Sox -revitalized pitching staff-led AL in wins
NL MOY: Hurdle - after team not making the playoffs for 20 years, how does he not get it?
AL ROY: Myers - not much of a competition here
NL ROY: Fernandez - to do what he did as a rookie on a bad team? at 21 yrs old? Impressive

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My votes:
NL MVP: Goldschmidt - better year than McCutchen- don't give me the "they missed the playoffs" BS
AL MOY: Farrell - not a homer pick -revitalized Sox -revitalized pitching staff-led AL in wins
NL MOY: Hurdle - after team not making the playoffs for 20 years, how does he not get it?
NL ROY: Fernandez - to do what he did as a rookie on a bad team? at 21 yrs old? Impressive

Couldn't agree more.

RedSoxWorrld

Brock wears female undies
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My votes:

agreed on all but AL MVP, and i only slightly give the edge to Miggy because he put up those numbers despite a month of playing hurt

Brocktagon

the handsome super genius
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the red sox win the world series and john farrell is the only one with an award?

fail.

RedSoxWorrld

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the red sox win the world series and john farrell is the only one with an award?

fail.

fuck no

that just screams "TEAM"

look at the Sox, how many guys had career years this year? 2 or 3?

Nava, Uehara, who else?

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

fail.

As I've said elsewhere Farrell succeeded the WORST Red Six manager since Don "The Gerbil" Zimmer backin the 1970s.

NO WAY do last year's Red Sox finish with fewer than 85 wins under a COMPETENT manager.

Iglesias for ROY I could see, Farrell, no.

RedSoxWorrld

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I've said elsewhere Farrell succeeded the WORST Red Six manager since Don "The Gerbil" Zimmer backin the 1970s.

NO WAY do last year's Red Sox finish with fewer than 85 wins under a COMPETENT manager.

Iglesias for ROY I could see, Farrell, no.

butch hobson and joe kerrigan were bad managers

i dont think Zimmer was a bad manager, I think he ran his starters into the ground in 78 (and I mean position players), but I dont think he sucked as a manager

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed on all but AL MVP, and i only slightly give the edge to Miggy because he put up those numbers despite a month of playing hurt

I think Miggy gets the award, but I don't agree with the playing hurt part. Injuries are part of the game. Pedroia played the whole season with torn thumb ligaments. If you are playing then you are able to play and there should be no excuses.

RedSoxWorrld

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Miggy gets the award, but I don't agree with the playing hurt part. Injuries are part of the game. Pedroia played the whole season with torn thumb ligaments. If you are playing then you are able to play and there should be no excuses.

he did play and put up better numbers than Trout

trout is the better player

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My votes:

Only 1 difference in your vote and mine. As he single handedly put his team in playoff contention as a rookie, I think Puig has to win. It's not a knock on Fernandez at all, in fact, as players, I put their seasons at even. Puig gets the vote in a push as he helped his team actually win.

CaptO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostly agree

My votes:
AL MVP: Davis - Crush put up much better numbers than Miggy
AL MOY: Farrell or Francona - Farrell took Sox from worst to 1st; Francona took a bunch of schlubs & made them contenders

Brocktagon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fuck no

that just screams "TEAM"

look at the Sox, how many guys had career years this year? 2 or 3?

Nava, Uehara, who else?

gotchya

so these awards are secondary/complimentary to the biggest of them all, WS trophy.

RedSoxWorrld

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotchya

so these awards are secondary/complimentary to the biggest of them all, WS trophy.

exactly

nobody on the Sox had an MVP or Cy Young type year

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like the end for the Astrodome.

The Houston Astrodome was a technological marvel when it opened in 1965. Dubbed the "Eighth Wonder of the World," it was the first domed and air-conditioned stadium and became Houston's defining landmark, a symbol of the city's can-do spirit.
But eventually, bigger and sleeker stadiums took its place, leaving the iconic structure that once hosted both professional baseball and football games empty and dilapidated, its future in limbo.

After Texas voters on Tuesday rejected a referendum that would have authorized up to $217 million in bonds to turn the Astrodome into a giant convention and event center, the stadium is likely to be demolished.
"We can't allow the once-proud Astrodome to sit like a rusting ship in the middle of a parking lot. This was the best effort (to revamp the stadium), and voters have turned it down," Harris County Judge Ed Emmett said. Fifty-three percent voted against the referendum.
Emmett said a final decision on what happens to the Astrodome will be up to the commissioners court, the group of local officials who manage the county. But he said the stadium's future was pretty much sealed with the referendum's failure. He said a decision would have to be made quickly but didn't say exactly when that would happen.
While some supporters who attended an election watch party Tuesday evening in an exhibition hall across from the Astrodome vowed to continue fighting for the stadium, preservation groups who had championed the referendum said there was really nothing more that could be done.
"Because it sat vacant for many years, there's been a lack of passion for it," said Beth Wiedower, senior field officer with the National Trust for Historic Preservation, one of the groups backing the plan.
Wiedower said efforts to promote the referendum had reinvigorated that passion.
"But it just wasn't enough," she said.
The referendum had called for creating 350,000 square feet of exhibition space by removing the interior seats and raising the floor to street level. Other changes included creating 400,000 square feet of plaza and green space on the outside of the structure as part of the project, dubbed "The New Dome Experience."
A coalition of local and national preservation groups as well as a political action committee had banded together to try to convince voters that the Astrodome should be reborn, not razed.
The pro-Astrodome groups took to Facebook and Twitter and spoke at community meetings. In the two weeks leading up to the election, they also drove around the county a 26-foot-long truck dubbed the "Dome Mobile," in which people wrote their favorite Astrodome memories and preservation messages on a large interior wall.
While there wasn't an organized effort against the referendum, some opponents had said the money to refurbish the Astrodome could be better spent on other projects.
"I think it would be a big waste of money. And the trouble is, it's hard to do, because I love the history of it," Don Gray, 84, a Houston resident who voted against the referendum, said Tuesday.
Studies in recent years have estimated the cost of demolishing the Astrodome to be between $29 million and $78 million.
Opened in 1965, the Astrodome was home to MLB's Houston Astros and the NFL's Houston Oilers. It was spacious enough to fit an 18-story building under its 208-foot high roof. The stadium also was home to the city's rodeo and hosted concerts and other events, including the "Battle of the Sexes" tennis match between Bobby Riggs and Billie Jean King in 1973.
But it hasn't been home to a sports team since 1999 and has been closed to all events since 2009. While still structurally sound, the iconic stadium had fallen into disrepair. On Saturday, thousands of people bought stadium seats, pieces of AstroTurf and other items at a "yard sale" and auction of Astrodome memorabilia.
The stadium's most prominent use in recent years was as a shelter for Louisiana residents displaced by Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another idiot, to whom a cab or limo ride would have been chump change.......

Colorado Rockies co-owner Charlie Monfort was arrested late Monday on suspicion of driving under the influence.
Monfort was arrested in Windsor, about 60 miles north of Denver. Police Sgt. Gerald Beers said he had no details.

Monfort issued a statement apologizing to the team, fans and his family.

''I'm extremely disappointed in myself for the decision I made to drink and drive and the potential risk I caused to other innocent people,'' he said.

''I do understand the seriousness of my behavior and the issues that I am facing and I'm committed to do what's necessary to deal with my problem.''
Dick Monfort, Charlie's brother and the chairman and CEO of the team, issued a separate statement saying he was saddened and disappointed.
''As troubling and intolerable as these actions are, I can tell you that I'm focused on helping Charlie get the resources he needs to overcome this problem,'' Dick Monfort said.

Charlie Monfort was arrested on a DUI charge in Greeley in 1999. His attorneys said he was suffering a severe case of heartburn which exaggerated his blood-alcohol levels.
Monfort eventually pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of driving while ability impaired. He was sentenced to probation and community service and ordered to undergo an alcohol treatment program.

Brocktagon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like the end for the Astrodome.

The Houston Astrodome was a technological marvel when it opened in 1965. Dubbed the "Eighth Wonder of the World," it was the first domed and air-conditioned stadium and became Houston's defining landmark, a symbol of the city's can-do spirit.

um, no! no matter how many people tried to use that, it will always belong to Andre the Giant!

Floffman

Tailor Suit and Satchel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 1 difference in your vote and mine. As he single handedly put his team in playoff contention as a rookie, I think Puig has to win. It's not a knock on Fernandez at all, in fact, as players, I put their seasons at even. Puig gets the vote in a push as he helped his team actually win.

He shouldn't win just cause he had more publicity.

For as many good things he did a lot of bone head things too.

Jose was a Stud the whole year, he should win hands down.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There really is nothing like two lovers in love........

The Bears beat the Packers on Monday. It was a most unlikely event. So unlikely, in fact, that a Packers fan in Wisconsin told her Bears fan husband before the game that he could shock her with a stun gun in the event of an upset. Aaron Rodgers went down, the Bears won, and the husband actually followed through:
A 12:39 a.m. a Mayville Police officer responded to Dan’s King Pin, 31 N. Main St., to speak to a woman who reported that her husband had used a stun gun on her three times while at Sidelines Tap, 111 S. Main St.
The wife said that while the two were smoking cigarettes outside of Sidelines, Grant had used the stun gun twice on her butt and once on her thigh. Grant said that the two had made a bet on the game as she is a Packers fan and he a Bears fan that if the Packers lost, she would be shocked with the stun gun.
THRICE. And he may go to jail for that, because use of an electric weapon is a crime, even, it seems, if consensual. You don't HAVE to follow through on bets, everyone.