• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Wk 1 Steelers @ Redskins

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay Guys and Gals (RIP Midnight...lol)...it's time to tee it up for real in the league where they play for pay!

MNF...Right off the bat the Steelers get a playoff team from LY...WAS was 9-7 and the NFCE DIV winners behind some solid play of 1st yr starter, Kirk Cousins. They did not defeat a playoff caliber team last year, and lost to GB in the wildcard round rather handily. But, they didn't rest on that. During the offseason, among other moves, they added the biggest FA CB, John Norman...and they arguably have the best WR/TE combo in the NFL, certainly in the NFC...they will be a tough out imo.

OFC vs 'Skins...WAS has traditionally played a lot of man to man DEF out of their 3-4...which could mean Norman on Antonio Brown. While they have solid CBs, I would expect them to add more zone to the mix this year which suits Norman's style of play. Ryan Kerrigan vs Gilbert and Trent Murphy vs Avill will be key matchups. To be honest I like Ben and crew vs WAS D, but they need to protect the big fella.

DEF vs 'Skins...Garcon,DJax, & Jordan Reed vs the Steeler secondary. This is my big concern, if the front 7 is not getting consistent pressure on Cousins they will do some damage. Matt Jones is suppose to play, but may not be 100%...Even though no Dupree, I'm not terribly concerned because Moats is solid and Chickillo has shown a lot of improvement...I expect that rotation to be in effect.

Outlook...Vegas has the Steelers -3 on most boards. I also like PIT to come out on top in this one in a fairly close game...27-20.

What say you?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Norman huh? Is that Josh Norman's long forgotten brother? :heh:

Gotta admit this game has me worried. Offense matches up well, but they will need to be in midseason form to keep up in what looks like a shootout. I'd like to see the offense control the T.O.P. and dictate the pace of the game, but that will all hinge on how PIT's defense holds up. I'm sure Ben will take a few deep tosses to get a feel for the defense before they try and establish the ground game (seems like they have done this a lot last year). I think the defense is going to bend, and hopefully not break. Shazier should man up on Reed for most of the game. If the pressure isn't there, then Cousins could look like an all-star out there. DJax presents a big problem to this secondary tht always seems to give up the deep ball. Mitchell & Golden need to play it safe. Any news on Heyward's availability this week? I'm not too worried about their ground game, but they could do some damage if Heyward isn't out there.

I think this game could come down to 1 possession, possibly a game winning FG...

PIT 28 - WAS 24

:hope:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomlin said all the injuries are considered "day to day"...

Roosevelt Nix (back)
Daniel McCullers (knee)
Shamarko Thomas (groin)
Markus Wheaton (shoulder)
Cam Heyward (ankle)
Marcus Gilbert (elbow)
Javon Hargrave (knee)
Cody Wallace (knee)

Translation from Tomlinese to English:
"Player could miss 1 week, or the entire season"

In other news... Dupree was reported to have gone under the knife, but that was incorrect. He is still seeking further medical evaluation before making the decision.

Last edited:

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No injuries please!

Small note, Crowder is a legit offensive weapon in the slot that is always overlooked.

I think this will be a fun game to watch and I'll be looking really hard at how our D does against Big Ben and his magnificence :)

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No injuries please!

Small note, Crowder is a legit offensive weapon in the slot that is always overlooked.

I think this will be a fun game to watch and I'll be looking really hard at how our D does against Big Ben and his magnificence :)
If Jones isn't ready to go, does Kelly get the nod over Thompson?

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Jones isn't ready to go, does Kelly get the nod over Thompson?
Jones will go for sure but wouldn't surprise me to see Kelley in for a few drives. Thompson will be the 3rd down guy.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones will go for sure but wouldn't surprise me to see Kelley in for a few drives. Thompson will be the 3rd down guy.
Do you think Jones will hold up?

I ask for fantasy football purposes... ;)

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think Jones will hold up?

I ask for fantasy football purposes... ;)
Crap shoot IMO. Could go either way but he was injured in college, last year and this year pre season so far. My guess is if he doesn't show something game 1 as the presumptive starter, skins will be quick to make the change and see what Kelley can do there.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Norman huh? Is that Josh Norman's long forgotten brother? :heh:

Gotta admit this game has me worried. Offense matches up well, but they will need to be in midseason form to keep up in what looks like a shootout. I'd like to see the offense control the T.O.P. and dictate the pace of the game, but that will all hinge on how PIT's defense holds up. I'm sure Ben will take a few deep tosses to get a feel for the defense before they try and establish the ground game (seems like they have done this a lot last year). I think the defense is going to bend, and hopefully not break. Shazier should man up on Reed for most of the game. If the pressure isn't there, then Cousins could look like an all-star out there. DJax presents a big problem to this secondary tht always seems to give up the deep ball. Mitchell & Golden need to play it safe. Any news on Heyward's availability this week? I'm not too worried about their ground game, but they could do some damage if Heyward isn't out there.

I think this game could come down to 1 possession, possibly a game winning FG...

PIT 28 - WAS 24

:hope:

John/Josh...lol, hopefully it won't matter come Monday night! Josh is good player.

I am concerned too...primarily because I just don't have a feel for the secondary yet and I'm still not 100% sold on the pass rush. Reed scares me more than Djax, I expect to see Shazier on him in base and Golden in nickel. But you're right, Djax can still get deep to make plays, and clear it out for the underneath guys...Mitchell has to stay home.

Heyward continues to say he's going to play,

At the end of the day I think the Steeler DEF front 7 might be a little better than WAS, especially the DL...if WAS has to blitz to get pressure I like the Steelers chances.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest worry is the Skins spreading us out which I'm sure they will do. The secondary is going to get picked apart if we can't get enough pressure (as has already been pointed out in this thread). I think Washington will have success against us on offense. My hope is that we will be a little more successful against their defense.

Steelers 30-27. I would not be shocked if the Skins steal one from us here though.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wk 1 inactives (projected).

The obvious ones 1st.

Mett, Wheaton, Wallace, Golson, Nix

The last 2 are a little iffy.

I think Finney as the backup C gets a helmet, but I'm not sure about Hubbard.
There is some talk about LT Walton, but if it were me, I would dress all 4 DEs every game if healthy and have a planned rotation.

If Gilbert is going to get some action on punt returns, then I don't think Dirty Red (Matakevich) gets a helmet tonight.

So my guess would be Hubbard and Matakevich don't suit for this one.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wheaton out now... Christ. So no Bell, Bryant, Green or Wheaton. Ben's gonna earn his paycheck this week.

Not feeling great about this game now. Wheaton isn't a vital cog but with the offensive depth as shallow as it is (mostly because of knuckleheads) I think it could sting more than it should.

Will we ever see this offense play as a team?

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still pumped though. Love me some Ben. Give Ben AB and a bag of chips and we're in any and every game.

HERE WE GO! STEELERS! HERE WE GO! PITTSBURGH'S GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL HERE WE GO!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wheaton out now... Christ. So no Bell, Bryant, Green or Wheaton. Ben's gonna earn his paycheck this week.

Not feeling great about this game now. Wheaton isn't a vital cog but with the offensive depth as shallow as it is (mostly because of knuckleheads) I think it could sting more than it should.

Will we ever see this offense play as a team?

No doubt it hurts to have Wheaton out, mostly from the experience factor. From a talent standpoint, I feel pretty comfortable with AB, Rodgers, Coates and DHB, with James @ TE. The key there is to give Ben time...he'll make it work with those guys.

My fears are more on the DEF, because nobody (including MT) knows how the young DBs are going to play. That said, Butler knows he's got a young secondary, I can't see him with a steady diet of 4 man pass rush...he's going to have to gamble to bring some heat to speed up Cousins clock