• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Wk 6: Seattle Seahawks @ Pittsburgh Steelers

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, almost 2 picks in a game they lost tells you he's worth all of those draft picks and all of that money. :L

What are his season totals so far?
ZERO picks. ZERO sacks. ZERO forced fumbles.
OK, here's a non-zero one for you, he has 1 total pass defense THIS SEASON. ONE. The whole year.
So maybe TFL? Nope, he's not at zero there either. He is at 2y total for the year.

He hasn't been doing shit in pass coverage, no sacks at all, not disrupting the run game in the backfield, but he's worth 15M this year right sport?

Get a grip. He's been a huge factor in the losses so far.

One last bonus stat: He's given up 9 receptions so far. That's tied for 25th in the league.

Wake up man. We wasted a shit load on this guy and will pay a big price in missing out on a draft pick next year as well for a team that will desperately need help all over the lineup.

It's a complete and total nightmare.
I'm with you on this for the most part.

I don't think it's a complete and total nightmare yet, though. You can say this about many players in the league, but Jamal Adams has about as much athletic talent as you can put into a human being.

I really don't think the Seahawks have found out how to use him properly yet. I don't think there's a compelling argument that Jamal Adams will ever be very good in coverage and that's something that needs to be schemed for. Adams had success rushing the passer last year and with the Jets because teams weren't scheming for it. This year it is the exact opposite.

The two things I think need to change in the way they use Adams is they need to make it less obvious when he's blitzing, and stop blitzing him between the tackles unless you have a defensive line scheme up front that will open up a hole between the guard and tackle. As talented as Adams is, he's not going to win a 1 on 1 battle against an NFL offensive guard. He has the speed and athleticism to get around a tackle on the edge, but he's never going to be able to plow through an interior offensive lineman.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All fair enough. Thank you for actually addressing some of my points.

I agree that Adams hasn't been great. I do think he has been better than most here believe, but he I do agree he isn't worth the 3 year, $11.1 million a year that his contract actually is.

As far as passer rating allowed, games by opposing QBs this year:
*Wentz- 102.0
*Tannehill- 94.5
*Cousins- 128.4
*Jimmy G./Lance- 95.8
*Stafford- 97.3
*Ben R.- 94.7
Overall Seahawks' D passer rating: 100.62

(Note: I found this passer rating calculator if anyone is interested-
NFL Passer Rating Calculator | Pro-Football-Reference.com )

Adams rating is the equivalent of the 20th rated passer in the league, and ~11 points higher than the team as a whole. Not great but, again, slightly above average for the league as an overall DB and certainly better than our CBs this year (hopefully this will change with Flowers gone, and Jones hopefully improving).

More than anything, I just hope Taylor is going to be ok.
Unless I'm misunderstanding the contract that Adams signed, if the Seahawks cut him after year three, he would still account for $14.2m against the cap in 2024 and $7.1m in 2025 with cap savings of $9.3m in 2024 and $17.5m in 2025.

If he was cut after the third year of his contract, the cap hit is pretty hard.

Hopefully this won't be something worth discussing by then and the Seahawks figure out how to use him, but given his performance so far that's a lot of money.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless I'm misunderstanding the contract that Adams signed, if the Seahawks cut him after year three, he would still account for $14.2m against the cap in 2024 and $7.1m in 2025 with cap savings of $9.3m in 2024 and $17.5m in 2025.

If he was cut after the third year of his contract, the cap hit is pretty hard.

Hopefully this won't be something worth discussing by then and the Seahawks figure out how to use him, but given his performance so far that's a lot of money.

yes, if cut after 2023, he'll have a dead cap of 14.2 in 2024. if cut after 2024 then the dead cap is 7.1 in 2025. But not both, but could be 7.1 in both season if cut after June 1 2024. I expect Seattle to keep him at least through 2024, unless he is completely atrocious and just can't play anymore - this is assuming they can't rework deal after 2023

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adams' Pro Football Focus rank is 62nd out of 85 safeties before the Game Sunday night. That's all that has to be said. At least when Sherman talked and was just a distraction and an annoying SoB he was producing, He had earned the right to talk.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see how adams is elite. People keep saying it like its a fact, i don't know if that word means what you think it means.