• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why the Vikings didn't overpay for Sam Bradford...

NY7

Kill HIllary
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not even about the pick. It's about the shitty player they traded for.

Stop acting like Bradford is at all good, and worth even a 3rd. It's naive. And fucking stupid.
Well hot damn! You should start applying for NFL GM gigs b/c you certainly know more about pro talent than the current set does.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I think they are figuring it'll be two for Teddy if he's able to come back.

Still a 1st and more for 2 years of a QB is overpaying. Especially for an unproven scrub like Bradford.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin didn't have a job. Sam did. There's a reason Sam was allowed to throw when he was playing and Austin wasn't.

Yes, because it was Austin's first experience and he was playing for the ultra-conservative Rams offense. Sam was 5 years into his career and playing for Chip.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id rather go with Shaun Hill than Bradford personally.

That's likely the plan for week 1. Hill is a backup at best though. If you want to play ultra-conservative, he might keep you going for a while, but he's not going to win games for you.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's likely the plan for week 1. Hill is a backup at best though. If you want to play ultra-conservative, he might keep you going for a while, but he's not going to win games for you.
Sam Bradford is!?!

Might as well go out and draft TEs that can't block or catch with a first round pick if your gonna throw one away for a QB like Sam.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well hot damn! You should start applying for NFL GM gigs b/c you certainly know more about pro talent than the current set does.

And I guess that you fully respect any move that any team makes? Or just incredibly desperate ones?

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Denver once draft Tebow when the great majority of fans say he wasn't an NFL QB?
I'm in no way saying I can build a better roster than any GM out there but a first for Brsdford was a dumb move IMO. They'd have been better off with a FA and keeping those picks. Even if Bradford plays two years in Minny, the are down two potential starters going forward. Now if a team was dropping a better vet like Indy did I could see it, but not for Bradford.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still a 1st and more for 2 years of a QB is overpaying. Especially for an unproven scrub like Bradford.

They are, I agree they are overpaying (and happy they are as a Philly fan), but in a crappy situation where they had to do something. Worst time possible for the injury as teams made their moves and settled their QB's where they need them and the guys they let go got picked up by other teams. That's why I think Minny said they were getting crazy offers. Arizona may offer up Stanton, but their #3 QB through pre-season is now on the Bears, so Stanton is the only guy who knows that offense after Palmer. Their #2 becomes Dysert off their practice squad who's been with the team less than a week.

If this happened a month ago, they could have found someone, teams can move a guy up, get him lots of practice and pre-season, test out multiple fringe guys... but now is the worst time possible.

Not sure what other guys were available... McCarron maybe. McCown, Foles, Cassel, Hoyer, McGloin, Clemens types. And you'll have to overpay for all of those guys as those are the #2 QB's on those teams, most with mid-late round zero experience backups, guys picked up a week ago, that you are just planning on checking out in practice as they run the scout team this year, and a few teams where that's the only other QB on the roster.

Take Ryan Mallett.. Probably not going to be anything good for you, but it's going to take a good pick to get him as he's your only backup to Flacco, and their #3 which they cut who'd be the only other guy knowing the system that could step in soon is now with the Giants. So their desire to move him is very low. A month ago maybe he goes for a 5th if you want him, now maybe a 3rd because of the timing.

Or Cassell. What's his worth? Well to Tennessee that makes your #2 behind Mariota a guy who's been on 8 teams the last 4 years, and was a division 3 college guy. I really wouldn't give him up for anything less than a 2nd. He isn't worth that to another team, but that loss to you is.

So I agree, they overpaid, but they knew Shaun Hill was a mentor QB not a going forward QB. Doesn't play well, holds onto the ball too much and puts it on the ground too often. And if they implode due to horrible QB play, what are those vikings becoming FA's next year thinking? What's Peterson thinking going into his last year under contract? What looks like a good thing building there could fall apart in a hurry.

Just looking through depth charts... If not Bradford, your easiest QB's to pry away in my guess (complete guess here) are Geno Smith and Kaepernick. Kaep you are taking on a big contract for a guy who couldn't beat out Gabbert in an offense that uses the spread option, and putting a divisive player in a more conservative state. Not even sure they'd want him at all. Geno's biggest weakness (any consistency and turnovers) are the two things that fit the worst for you.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you not understand going all in on the current season? Who cares about the 2017 draft so much...when the 2016 season is just getting started. If the Vikings reach the Super Bowl, was the deal worth it? The answer is "yes", unless you were a malnourished child born to crack-addicted parents.

Draft picks are so hit or miss. Spielman loves to move around on draft days. We acquired extra 3rd & 4th from Miami last year. Those picks can be leveraged for another 2nd or there's the potential to trade players for picks down the road. Either way, stop acting like a 1st round draft pick, potentially the 32nd pick, is the end of the f'n world. It's naive. It's f'n stupid.

You'd have to be a malnourished child born to crack addicted parents to believe that Bradford is going to lead any team to the SB.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vikings were in tough situation. Punt on season or overpay a bit and gamble. One first round pick won't derail franchise so long as they find value elsewhere

The Vikes have drafted well over the last few years. Really built a solid squad around AP. Zimmer is a top notch coach.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, because it was Austin's first experience and he was playing for the ultra-conservative Rams offense. Sam was 5 years into his career and playing for Chip.

And you had to use 2014 numbers, why? Did he peak in 2014?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So sign Vick, or somebody.

Bradford isn't exactly durable.

Vick played last year with the best WR in the entire league to throw to.

He started 3 games. He threw for 371 yards total. 2 touchdowns. 3 turnovers. He took 10 sacks.

But somehow you have something in your brain that makes him seem valuable to you for a SB hopeful team. What is it in your brain that is confusing you? There's a bunch of you with a very similar infliction. If you'll elaborate on your state of confusion, maybe we could cure you all.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7 years, 6 teams..

It's still the same ole excuses. Different coaches, no WRs, not enough wrist bands, not enough band-aids, he's too cross-eyed, etc.

So why hasn't a team held onto Sam? I believe it's called weak sawce

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vick played last year with the best WR in the entire league to throw to.

He started 3 games. He threw for 371 yards total. 2 touchdowns. 3 turnovers. He took 10 sacks.

But somehow you have something in your brain that makes him seem valuable to you for a SB hopeful team. What is it in your brain that is confusing you? There's a bunch of you with a very similar infliction. If you'll elaborate on your state of confusion, maybe we could cure you all.
"Or somebody"....

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Or somebody"....

That's the thing though. If you want someone with a chance of playing well enough to keep the continuity, who's that "somebody"?

By the end of last year with a banged up Big Ben, Vick wasn't even dressing for games. That's what we really are down to if you don't want to give up anything.