• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why the Vikings didn't overpay for Sam Bradford...

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someday. So far, he can't beat out Johnson. Patterson's a huge bust. I do like Diggs. Wright is a decent #4 WR type. Thielen hasn't been much to speak of so far. Randolph needs to cut down on the drops, as they all do really (each is around 60-65% catch percentage individually). At least they got rid of Wallace.

I thought Randolph was pretty solid with his hands, something like 13 drops in 5 years and a really low drop rate. Not sure if I remember any big ones but maybe that sticks out more.

Diggs is really nice on the long ball and Treadwell may fit that well with his ability to run the short stuff so well and evade after the catch.

Not sure I'd move them out of a bottom 10 receiving corps though until they prove it.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vikings were in tough situation. Punt on season or overpay a bit and gamble. One first round pick won't derail franchise so long as they find value elsewhere

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Vikings are good. A well built defense and that beast with the ball in his hands.

Go Vikings! I hope Bradford can Trent Dilfer his way to a ring. In that case, Philly gets a first and second rounder!

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rudolph. At least get his name right

lol, don't know what I was thinking on the name, yeah 75 targets, 2 drops last year. Of course 1 was that wide open uncovered one which hit him in the face in the end zone against the Raiders which stands out.

VikingsAD28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Packer's fan and I'm not going to bash them for doing what they believe they needed to do, but I'll say the Kool Ade you're drinking is strong as hell...
Why? Everything I said was based in fact.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 405.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Everything I said was based in fact.
Actually, it's opinion and that's ok. Is it possible that Bradford contributed to the ineptitude that those teams had a WR? Does he shoulder some of that blame, or is he some special case that nobody has ever seen before?

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a good trade for you guys. He's way better than anything else out there. Sacking the season right when the Vikes were about to take that next step would have been foolish. Sam lucked out here too. I bet you'll get his best year yet.

All 19 quarters of it.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They traded a first rounder for an injury prone backup. How could this not be seen as overpaying?

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The price the Vikings paid wasn’t as steep as you think it was. Consider, in 7 years in the NFL, Sam Bradford has had 6 different Offensive Coordinators. He has been on bad teams where the number one receiver would barely be a number 2 on most teams. Seriously, name a receiver that he played with on the Rams that was any good? My point is many QB’s are either better for their surroundings or worse. Sam has been obviously been in some pretty bad surroundings in his career. I think it’s safe to say that this is the best team and coaching staff he’s ever been around and for once he’ll have the fortune of being better because of it. So Packer fans by all means bash the Vikings for giving up a first round pick for a qb that has the potential to be very good, just remember a few of your first round picks over the last 10 years, Derek Sherrod, Justin Harrell, AJ Hawk. My point is 1st rounders aren’t automatic pro-bowlers, it’s a crap-shoot most times. For every Aaron Rodgers or Adrian Peterson there is a Jamarcus Russell or Trent Richardson.

Matt Millen approves this message.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The price the Vikings paid wasn’t as steep as you think it was. Consider, in 7 years in the NFL, Sam Bradford has had 6 different Offensive Coordinators. He has been on bad teams where the number one receiver would barely be a number 2 on most teams. Seriously, name a receiver that he played with on the Rams that was any good? My point is many QB’s are either better for their surroundings or worse. Sam has been obviously been in some pretty bad surroundings in his career. I think it’s safe to say that this is the best team and coaching staff he’s ever been around and for once he’ll have the fortune of being better because of it. So Packer fans by all means bash the Vikings for giving up a first round pick for a qb that has the potential to be very good, just remember a few of your first round picks over the last 10 years, Derek Sherrod, Justin Harrell, AJ Hawk. My point is 1st rounders aren’t automatic pro-bowlers, it’s a crap-shoot most times. For every Aaron Rodgers or Adrian Peterson there is a Jamarcus Russell or Trent Richardson.

So, because a first rounder isn't a guarantee, just throw away that potential value for a guy that is guaranteed to not be a first round talent.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, because a first rounder isn't a guarantee, just throw away that potential value for a guy that is guaranteed to not be a first round talent.
I don't see it that way. They threw away a 1st round pick for a guy they think can drive the boat to the playoffs and advance. They may or may not know what they are doing, but in their mind, their NOT throwing away the season cause their starting QB went down

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rock Spielman

On new starter Shaun Hill: "We have the utmost confidence in Shaun Hill," Spielman told KSTP's Darren Wolfson and other reporters. "We have no question about that."

One thing Spielman made clear was that he won't mortgage the future for a stop-gap quarterback solution. In other words, he's not giving a current young asset or a good draft pick.

Dude lied through his teeth.

NY7

Kill HIllary
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They traded a first rounder for an injury prone backup. How could this not be seen as overpaying?
How do you not understand going all in on the current season? Who cares about the 2017 draft so much...when the 2016 season is just getting started. If the Vikings reach the Super Bowl, was the deal worth it? The answer is "yes", unless you were a malnourished child born to crack-addicted parents.

Draft picks are so hit or miss. Spielman loves to move around on draft days. We acquired extra 3rd & 4th from Miami last year. Those picks can be leveraged for another 2nd or there's the potential to trade players for picks down the road. Either way, stop acting like a 1st round draft pick, potentially the 32nd pick, is the end of the f'n world. It's naive. It's f'n stupid.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's work with the words I used. The Vikings have a shit load of talent at WR.

They do.
Im going to go with their stats and roster. The vikings best receiver at this moment is Laquan Treadwell out of Ole Miss. He was kinda drafted in the first round to address the Vikes glaring need at WR. And he's still unproven.I still have him ranked behind Doctson out of TCU and Coleman out of Baylor. And very close to Fuller out of Notre Dame. To say the Vikings are loaded at wide receiver is a stretch at best. The days of Randy Moss are long gone. Bradford had abetter receiving corps with Philly and the Rams and thats not saying much. The guy is also made of glass. Minnesota giving up a first for Bradford. Actually makes some of the Raiders awful trades in the past look good. Unless you would care to clarify the wealth of talent Minnesota has at wide receiver with links and stats :noidea:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vikings are completely nuts.

Bradford will tear his ACL the minute a Minnesota snowflake touches him.

SeizeTheCarp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get offended the Packers have one of the easiest routes to the playoffs.

Ps. You contradicted yourself in your won post.

The packers do not have the same exact schedule. Theirs is easier than the Vikings. It really shouldn't be argued.
Naw, I didn't contradict myself. I merely misspelled "except". Fortunately, you just told me I won my post, unless, of course, you made a similar mistake I did.

And let's point out a few other things:

1) You say the Vikings have the best defense in the NFC North. I won't say they don't, but I'm going to assume you mean from last year. So...the Packers defense, despite popular opinion, is every bit as young as the Vikings, they only allowed a mere 1.3 PPG more than the Vikings, is the Vikings defense notably better than the Packers defense, or is it remotely possible that the Packers defense was able to maintain, or improve, or make it not important due to Aaron Rodgers vs whoever the Vikings throw out there counter-acts whatever the Vikings did?

2) AP is a great RB. No one will deny that. But he did show his age in the second half of last year, and Eddie Lacey showed a new commitment to perform. Logic dictates Lacey will improve on his 2015 performance while Peterson will not.

3) you say the Vikings have the best O-line. I've heard a lot of Vikings fans that would take exception to this statement. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just not saying it's true just because you said so.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you not understand going all in on the current season? Who cares about the 2017 draft so much...when the 2016 season is just getting started. If the Vikings reach the Super Bowl, was the deal worth it? The answer is "yes", unless you were a malnourished child born to crack-addicted parents.

Draft picks are so hit or miss. Spielman loves to move around on draft days. We acquired extra 3rd & 4th from Miami last year. Those picks can be leveraged for another 2nd or there's the potential to trade players for picks down the road. Either way, stop acting like a 1st round draft pick, potentially the 32nd pick, is the end of the f'n world. It's naive. It's f'n stupid.

It's not even about the pick. It's about the shitty player they traded for.

Stop acting like Bradford is at all good, and worth even a 3rd. It's naive. And fucking stupid.