• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why the Vikings didn't overpay for Sam Bradford...

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
showed it can get in the playoffs, and then anything can happen. With a team apparently ready to take the next step what did you suggest they do?, tough it out with Shaun Hill and waste another year of APs career. This will probably be the best team Bradfords ever played for so let the season play out and then we can over analyze it to death.

" To suggest otherwise is insulting to fans who understand the league."

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
National Football League Rookie of the Year Award - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually quite a few. I should restate that to say that quite a few ROYs become very average or flame out quickly. Sure you have Beckham, Gurley, Newton, etc. However - you also have Bradford, RG3, Young, Percy Harvin, Cadillac Williams, etc. Winning this award is no predictor of overall long term success in the NFL.

This is clearly going to get in the realm of semantics but you can't tell me all of those guys were "horrible" and expect me to take you seriously. Especially since you are completely ignoring injuries.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't ass u me that.

some how, some way, desperate NFL talent evaluators, coaches and personal people don't assume that neither.

Fify

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't ass u me that.

some how, some way, NFL talent evaluators, coaches and personal people don't assume that neither.

Noooo you mean chumpsticks like us don't know more than the guys getting paid the big bucks to measure talent?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin Davis would've been the better choice.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is clearly going to get in the realm of semantics but you can't tell me all of those guys were "horrible" and expect me to take you seriously. Especially since you are completely ignoring injuries.

QB's are the real outlier there. 7 QB's won OROY, 4 of them were not good QB's after their rookie years. Young, Bradford, RGIII, Shaw.

You can't really say OROY for a QB is a good predictor of any kind of success for an NFL player when most of them never played as well as that rookie year.

Vince Young post-OROY averaged 1300 yards and 7 TD's a year for the rest of his 5 year NFL career
RGIII post-OROY averaged 1600 yards and 7 TD's a year for the 3 years (so far) after.
Dennis Shaw post-OROY 770 yards and 5 TD's a year for the 5 years after. Led the NFL in picks his 2nd year.
Sam Bradford post-OROY 2200 yards and 12 TD's a year for the 5 years (so far) after and 3.5 wins a season to boot.

1450 yards and 8 TD's is your average post OROY for those 4. I guess it's semantics to say that kind of production isn't "horrible"...

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure it has been said, but even if Sam was Aaron Rodgers in his prime, paying a 1st rounder + for one season of a QB is overpaying.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure it has been said, but even if Sam was Aaron Rodgers in his prime, paying a 1st rounder + for one season of a QB is overpaying.

Well I think they are figuring it'll be two for Teddy if he's able to come back.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The price the Vikings paid wasn’t as steep as you think it was. Consider, in 7 years in the NFL, Sam Bradford has had 6 different Offensive Coordinators. He has been on bad teams where the number one receiver would barely be a number 2 on most teams. Seriously, name a receiver that he played with on the Rams that was any good? My point is many QB’s are either better for their surroundings or worse. Sam has been obviously been in some pretty bad surroundings in his career. I think it’s safe to say that this is the best team and coaching staff he’s ever been around and for once he’ll have the fortune of being better because of it. So Packer fans by all means bash the Vikings for giving up a first round pick for a qb that has the potential to be very good, just remember a few of your first round picks over the last 10 years, Derek Sherrod, Justin Harrell, AJ Hawk. My point is 1st rounders aren’t automatic pro-bowlers, it’s a crap-shoot most times. For every Aaron Rodgers or Adrian Peterson there is a Jamarcus Russell or Trent Richardson.

It was a good trade for you guys. He's way better than anything else out there. Sacking the season right when the Vikes were about to take that next step would have been foolish. Sam lucked out here too. I bet you'll get his best year yet.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Please read me post. I didn't say that they were horrible. I said that quite a few turn out to be average or flame out quickly. You can't just discount injuries because that is part of being in the NFL. You think that a team is happier if they get rid a guy because he is a bust rather then losing him to injury? Of course not - both have the same outcomes.

You need to be a little more objective on this one instead of being so stubborn. There are lots of NFL players that look very good early on only to look not so great over the long haul. That is all part of life in the NFL.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a good trade for you guys. He's way better than anything else out there. Sacking the season right when the Vikes were about to take that next step would have been foolish. Sam lucked out here too. I bet you'll get his best year yet.

Sam Bradford

Which ain't saying much but hey it might be just enough for the Vikings to stay in the hunt given their overall talent.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your final 4 QBs in the 2017 playoffs:

Bradford, Palmer, Alex Smith, Brady

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please read me post. I didn't say that they were horrible. I said that quite a few turn out to be average or flame out quickly. You can't just discount injuries because that is part of being in the NFL. You think that a team is happier if they get rid a guy because he is a bust rather then losing him to injury? Of course not - both have the same outcomes.

You need to be a little more objective on this one instead of being so stubborn. There are lots of NFL players that look very good early on only to look not so great over the long haul. That is all part of life in the NFL.
My apologies for commenting on your exact word. I was referencing the OP which started the question.

While I agree with, I don't think a player who was plagued with injuries should be labeled as horrible. Injury prone bitch, maybe?? lol

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your final 4 QBs in the 2017 playoffs:

Bradford, Palmer, Alex Smith, Brady

If so Philly's compensation goes up. Becomes a first and a third rounder if he makes the title game.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not willing to say the Vikings didn't overpay, but it's not like they had a choice.

Well, they were between a rock and a hard place., but the injury history and 4th rd pick makes you feel like they overpaid. The reality is we won't know for a while.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My apologies for commenting on your exact word. I was referencing the OP which started the question.

While I agree with, I don't think a player who was plagued with injuries should be labeled as horrible. Injury prone bitch, maybe?? lol

It's all good. The reality is that nobody really knows how this will turn out. It could be just what the Vikings need this season or it could be a disaster. That is the beauty of the NFL - you never know.

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all good. The reality is that nobody really knows how this will turn out. It could be just what the Vikings need this season or it could be a disaster. That is the beauty of the NFL - you never know.
As a Rams fan I spent a lot of time defending Bradford because the Rams really did fuck up his situation, but I don't consider myself biased cause I don't like him one bit anymore after is bitchassedness stunts.