• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why it should be Kaep, Luck or Peyton for 2012

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Please note I HATED the Kaepernick pick in ruond 2...

I don't see a single advantage in bringing Alex back over giving Kaepernick a shot at the starting job next year. Alex had about as good a season as he's capable of havng IMO. That's as good as it gets. He might be a hero for a while, but there's no way he consistently plays like he did against the Saints. I know he doens't have a #1 WR, and he'd do better with a #1 WR, but overall he's an average starting QB. There's a pretty good chance Harbaugh can get average play out of Kaepernick IMO. And he's already on ythe roster.

Brooks, Ginn & Rogers are all FAs. And the Niners need to get a WR very badly. I also think they need a C & maybe an OG. Alex proved he can be a capable starter; capable starter QB money is big. But why spend big money on a guy who's probably not going to play much better, if any better, than a physically superior young QB in Kaepernick?

Now of course I'd love a trade for Luck. Don't think that's going to be possible. And I'd be an idiot not to at least entertain the idea of Manning if the Colts cut him. Those are far fetched scenarios, but either one would CLEARLY be better than Kaep IMO.

It's time to move on. Alex is limited; that's about as far as he's going to be able to take the Niners. In fact I think he'd be lucky to get back to an NFC Championship game (with the best defense in the NFL mind you).

It comes down to a very simple concept: Why pay a bunch of money for a guy when someone else is already under contract and probably just as good? Let's see what Harbaugh can do with Kaep (unless Baalke pulls off my football wet dream of the Harbaugh / Luck reunion).

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wow, so all it takes is one game for you? Tell me this, besides VD who was double covered almost the whole game, who could he throw to? Plain and simple, this offense needs a threat at WR badly. All our WRs didn't show up this game.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind bringing Smith back if he's willing to take the same type of deal we gave him for this year. Maybe give him bigger postseason incentives. I wouldn't bring him back though at the contract that he and his agent I think are gonna ask for in the offseason.

And if that happens, I don't see how Kap can't replicate the 29th passing offense. Two of the three passing offenses that were worse than us were led by Tim Tebow and Blaine Gabbert.

As much as I think it's time to move on, I don't see how Harbaugh doesn't try and bring Smith back for next season.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, so all it takes is one game for you? Tell me this, besides VD who was double covered almost the whole game, who could he throw to? Plain and simple, this offense needs a threat at WR badly. All our WRs didn't show up this game.

Agreed. We need a legitimate, #1 WR. Our WRs were abysmal today. We also need a legitimate, franchise QB.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

1 game? No. I've seen enough from Alex to know what he is and what he isn't. He's an average QB. He plays great sometimes, he plays horrilbe sometimes. He had a very good season, but it's time to move on.

The commentator on NFL network said, "Never doubt Alex Smith again." I was over at a buddy's house watching the game; I literally laughed out loud when he said that; and that was in front of my buddy who hates the Niners; this was all BEFORE the game started today when we were talking smack about each others teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been a 49er fan my entire life (20 years old). But the day we drafted Alex Smith was the day I got really into it. I have been a supporter of Alex Smith since day 1. Never was there a time that I thought he couldn't be that guy that we all wanted him to be. But now I am at the point where I think its time to move on.

But I do think that we need to bring Smith back if the contract is right and let him and Kapernick compete for the starting job.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good points brought up in this thread. When thinking of Smith, you think he played some what well this year but then you look at our passing ranks and realize damn near anyone couldve done it. Granted he didnt turn the ball over which was huge but thats just not enough. I really want to get our franchise QB but I dont see us anytime soon cutting ties with Smith.

If Smith performed badly in the saints game and we lost, I could see that there would be a slight chance we could be looking for someone else, how this post season as played I think the chances are at damn near zero that we go away from Smith.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it comes down to two things. is the offense and lack of talent limiting smith or is smith the limiting factor when it comes to play calling?

when u look at games where he's made those 4th quarter drives, u kinda think maybe with better talent smith could be more consistent in making plays during the whole game.

one thing that struck me during the year was the offense usually didn't get aggressive until we absolutely needed a score to win.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't see a single advantage in bringing Alex back over giving Kaepernick a shot at the starting job next year.

You look like a clown. Admit the advantages even a retard could plainly see and then make your case and say you think that outweighs the other side.

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lose a game and the knives are out again. Some ppl will never change, they just keep quiet while the team is winning. Even an untried rookie or a trained monkey is obviously better. Someone going to call him a bust again. He proved nothing this season

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith might be a little overvalued now, but it is an awfully big step from backup to NFL starter. I look at my Bears this year. There were people who said similar things about Cutler and Hanie. "Jay made too many mistakes to win a Super Bowl and was bad for team chemistry. Hanie Looked good, so let's give him a shot." Those people look like fools now. You should never trade a proven NFL QB unless you have another one or a freak of nature on the best (and by that I mean Aaron Rodgers, not Colin Kaepernick). I would consider trading Smith for a Kyle Orton type player and a first round pick, but I highly doubt any team would make that deal. Be happy with your quarterback and fill your holes. This team is a Larry Fitzgerald caliber receiver away from thinking dynasty.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Please note I HATED the Kaepernick pick in ruond 2...

I don't see a single advantage in bringing Alex back over giving Kaepernick a shot at the starting job next year. Alex had about as good a season as he's capable of havng IMO. That's as good as it gets. He might be a hero for a while, but there's no way he consistently plays like he did against the Saints. I know he doens't have a #1 WR, and he'd do better with a #1 WR, but overall he's an average starting QB. There's a pretty good chance Harbaugh can get average play out of Kaepernick IMO. And he's already on ythe roster.

Brooks, Ginn & Rogers are all FAs. And the Niners need to get a WR very badly. I also think they need a C & maybe an OG. Alex proved he can be a capable starter; capable starter QB money is big. But why spend big money on a guy who's probably not going to play much better, if any better, than a physically superior young QB in Kaepernick?

Now of course I'd love a trade for Luck. Don't think that's going to be possible. And I'd be an idiot not to at least entertain the idea of Manning if the Colts cut him. Those are far fetched scenarios, but either one would CLEARLY be better than Kaep IMO.

It's time to move on. Alex is limited; that's about as far as he's going to be able to take the Niners. In fact I think he'd be lucky to get back to an NFC Championship game (with the best defense in the NFL mind you).

It comes down to a very simple concept: Why pay a bunch of money for a guy when someone else is already under contract and probably just as good? Let's see what Harbaugh can do with Kaep (unless Baalke pulls off my football wet dream of the Harbaugh / Luck reunion).

I think your argument is weak and largely subjective, which is fine, that's your opinion, I get it. But to bring Kaep into the argument really weakens your position even more. To "hate the pick" and then suggest giving him the starting job off the bench over a player considered for Comeback Player of the Year? With out a doubt the most improved player this year. We don't stop looking for a franchise QB of the future, but Smith is the guy for the next couple of years. Like it or not, acknowledge it or not he helped get us to the NFC Championship game...at home with a 13-3 record...

Alex is limited...by his WRs...absolutely, Mike Sando seems to agree with that and many others. His O-line finally blocked a decent game for him (rather one of VERY few). Alex Smith was in his first "recovery" year. Hard to expect more that what he produced this year considering his lack of development by his previous coaches. He has it now in Jim Harbaugh and I liken this year to him starting where he left off with Norv Turner in 2006.

I'm sticking with Alex and so will Harbaugh. Luck/Peyton sweepstakes could change that, but not likely...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I wouldn't mind bringing Smith back if he's willing to take the same type of deal we gave him for this year. Maybe give him bigger postseason incentives. I wouldn't bring him back though at the contract that he and his agent I think are gonna ask for in the offseason.

And if that happens, I don't see how Kap can't replicate the 29th passing offense. Two of the three passing offenses that were worse than us were led by Tim Tebow and Blaine Gabbert.

As much as I think it's time to move on, I don't see how Harbaugh doesn't try and bring Smith back for next season.

To be fair I think our 29th passing offense ranking is a bit misleading as we did have a lot of improvement from the beginning of the season compared to the end of it.

I would lean more on putting CK in there if it wasn't for the fact we were so close to going to the Super Bowl and having a realistic shot at winning one. So between the two Smith still likely gives us the better chance of winning than CK so I would have to lean on Smith.

Now if Peyton (if healthy) or Luck were available I would go that option in a heartbeat.

My take is with a full offseason and the 2nd year in the same system Smith should have a better season next year. I think our offensive line will be better by this same virtue though I do think it could use an upgrade.

We absolutely have to get a #1 WR though. I think guys like Crabtree and Williams can be productive but only with a bonafide #1 guy to free them up.

I think if we can get a legitimate #1 WR our offense will be in good shape even if it's Smith that's passing the ball.

And this is all a moot point anyways since Harbaugh is going to peg Smith as his starter next season anyways barring the ability to get Luck or Manning.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points brought up in this thread. When thinking of Smith, you think he played some what well this year but then you look at our passing ranks and realize damn near anyone couldve done it. Granted he didnt turn the ball over which was huge but thats just not enough. I really want to get our franchise QB but I dont see us anytime soon cutting ties with Smith.

If Smith performed badly in the saints game and we lost, I could see that there would be a slight chance we could be looking for someone else, how this post season as played I think the chances are at damn near zero that we go away from Smith.

I completely disagree with the part in bold. Not turning the ball over in fact is more than enough. We were 2 fumbled punts away from going to the superbowl for crap's sake - hammering home the point that with this D not turning the ball over is more than enough. There were about 15 guys who threw for more TDs this year than Smith and every one of them (except Rodgers) threw far more INTs - which is something you cannot have with the formula Harbaugh and his staff use.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. We need a legitimate, #1 WR. Our WRs were abysmal today. We also need a legitimate, franchise QB.

Seconded. You saw what their wide outs were able to create separation, and ours just couldn't do it. Guys were covered all day long. We need a big play receiver.

BallsOfFury

Next man up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

:L
*sigh* Smith's/Harb's policy of putting great emphasis on ball control has been huge for us all year. If other QBs could've thrown only 5 picks all season, they would have, but none did except Alex, who except for a couple of games executed Harb's/Roman's strategies very well. Not allowing TO's has been a huge reason why the Niners won 6 games last season & 14 games this season. How could anyone watch the game yesterday and not realize that??

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally Smith comes back and gives us a hometown discount because it isn't about money with him and doing so allows us to keep our other free agents. Then we absolutely must add a dymanic playmaking #1 WR. I don't care if we have to trade crabtree and picks to get it done. Just get it done.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see a single advantage in bringing Alex back over giving Kaepernick a shot at the starting job next year.

You look like a clown. Admit the advantages even a retard could plainly see and then make your case and say you think that outweighs the other side.

+1 Billion

I stop taking someone's opinion seriously when people say shit like this about anyone. If anyone said that Kaepernick did not have a single advantage over Smith, I'd stop listening, too. It's intellectually lazy, it's reaching, it's dramatic for dramatic sake, and it sounds desperate as exaggeration always sounds desperate. Plus, it's wrong.

I have nothing wrong with saying Alex is not good enough. I disagree, depending on whether we get some receivers, but I have nothing wrong with someone saying that. It just peeves me that there are people out there reaching a reasonable conclusion without being reasonable and expect their opinion to mean anything. They could be right, but it has less value. It's like not showing your work in calculus, on a multiple choice test. Sure, you could have done the work or you could have guessed. There's no guessing of course that Alex has come up short, unable to overcome the first Williams' TO. But using extremes that are false, "not having a single advantage" is BS.

I believe there is plenty of reasons to move on, assuming we have a backup plan, but there are also reasons for keeping him. Which outweighs the other is simply opinion - which I have no problem either way.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If you had to choose to re-sign Alex Smith, or a true #1 WR (say a Dwayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson type), who would you sign?

I would sign the WR, and go with Kap.

The only concern I have with Kap is, has he matured enough to manage the turnovers like Alex Smith has? Otherwise I think his ceiling is higher.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you had to choose to re-sign Alex Smith, or a true #1 WR (say a Dwayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson type), who would you sign?

I would sign the WR, and go with Kap.

The only concern I have with Kap is, has he matured enough to manage the turnovers like Alex Smith has? Otherwise I think his ceiling is higher.

a 1st time starting qb managing turnovers? i'd have more trust in kyle williams on punt returns...