• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why it should be Kaep, Luck or Peyton for 2012

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to Kaep VS Alex:

The money needed to re-sign Alex could be used to get kaepernick a #1 WR.

So, financially speaking, it's a physically superior but unknown 2nd year QB with the most talented TE in the NFL and a #1 WR with Crabby as the #2...

or...

Alex with the same receivers. Financially speaking of course.

Financially speaking it makes sense. Alex Smith made ~6mil this year. No way he's taking less than that, and he's probably gonna ask for more than that. If people don't think he'll get the 9mil per that Fitzpatrick garnered, let's settle somewhere in the middle - 7.5. Kap is making 1.3 per year. That's 6.2mil per year difference.

If that 6.2mil per year helps us get a guy like Dwayne Bowe or DeSean Jackson, would that make a difference? Are people still taking Smith over Kap/Bowe or Jackson?

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look like a clown for thinking Kaep would probably play just as well as Alex Smith did? I didn't exactly set the bar extremely high.

I'm not knocking Alex; I'm just caling him what he is: an average QB who played a little above average in the regular season for the first time in his career this year. I know a #1 WR would help; that's beside the point. A #1 WR would help Kaep too.

Nobody is going to beat playoff teams being 1 dimentional. The Niners are very 1 dimentional. They got lucky (and Alex had the best game of his career -granted) against the Saints. 5 turnovers & Pierre Thomas was knocked out of the game on the first drive. That doesn't change the fact that, given enough attempts, Alex's play will be AVERAGE in the long run. Why sign a big contract for guaranteed average play when there's a good chance Kaepernick could at least play average?

Alex floats those deeper passes very well. But sooner or later you're going to see a dart straight at the WR's feet that looked like he gripped the ball too long. He can run very well, but Kaep can run better.

We are hardly one dimensional, the last couple years we were one dimensional, I would call us balanced. I completely disagree that this season was an anamoly for Alex - meaning that I completely disagree that he will be average given enough attempts. I think it is ridiculous that you think this opinion is a fact.

We beat the Saints. We did not get lucky we beat them. We forced those turnovers we took it to the house we beat them. I can't believe you, as a 49ers fan, think we just lucked out. If that's the case then I guess the Giants lucked out beating us - which I think is a much easier case to make. And if that's true then it was luck that kept us out of the Superbowl.

After the season the Niners just had I find it odd that A) you think we were one dimensional and B) you think we didn't deserve to be in the playoffs and C) evidently you think we had no chance to win any of those games let alone win the Superbowl.

So why would we stick with Alex over CK? Because Alex is a known at this point is better than average and should get better (even if only slightly) and we were one stupid play away from appearing in the Superbowl; whereas CK could come in and light it up but just as likely probably more likely could come in and flameout or be average which would in fact be a setback. Why risk a setback at this point when we were or so close?

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
??????????????????????????

I take it all back; Peyton will struggle picking up an offense; and the coaching staff wouldn't trust him to audible. And there's no way he's talented enough to take a snap under center. I mean we're not talking about one of the smartest offensive players in the history of the league or anything.

I am just not sure that he and Harbaugh would be a good fit and I know he is one hit away from retirement.
And he'll be 36 in a month and a half.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Balanced? The only team that threw less than us in 2011 was the Denver Broncos. Think about that. The only QB that was used LESS than Alex Smith in the passing game that played a signifiant portion of the season was Tim Tebow.

Yes, we're extremely balanced.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Back to Kaep VS Alex:

So, financially speaking, it's a physically superior but unknown 2nd year QB with the most talented TE in the NFL and a #1 WR with Crabby as the #2...

or...

The Niners can't sign a WR and Smith?

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Are people actually saying they'd rather have Smith than Manning on this team? I'm fucking dumbfounded.

I don't want 36 year old busted up Peyton Manning on this team period.

Last edited by a moderator:

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Financially speaking it makes sense. Alex Smith made ~6mil this year. No way he's taking less than that, and he's probably gonna ask for more than that. If people don't think he'll get the 9mil per that Fitzpatrick garnered, let's settle somewhere in the middle - 7.5. Kap is making 1.3 per year. That's 6.2mil per year difference.

If that 6.2mil per year helps us get a guy like Dwayne Bowe or DeSean Jackson, would that make a difference? Are people still taking Smith over Kap/Bowe or Jackson?

Desean Jackson is a whiney bitch, I am sure he would do wonders for Crabtree's development.

I have faith in Kaepernick but it isn't time for him right now and if this team loses with him he will be run out of town on a rail now that fans have higher expectations.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Desean Jackson is a whiney bitch, I am sure he would do wonders for Crabtree's development.

I have faith in Kaepernick but it isn't time for him right now and if this team loses with him he will be run out of town on a rail now that fans have higher expectations.

I'm just using a guy like D-Jax as an example. I don't care all that much for him.

If you're gonna keep saying Kap isn't ready without providing concrete proof then don't bother saying it at all. I don't know that Kap IS ready, but I'm fairly certain he won't fuck up the 29th passing offense.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Of course the only way Peyton plays is if he's physivcally able to. If he's "one hit away from retirement" then he'll retire, and it won't be an issue. But don't try to say the system will be an issue for him. That's a nonstarter.

...in which case (Peyton retiring) the Niners need to either trade the farm for Luck or start Kaep.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm just using a guy like D-Jax as an example. I don't care all that much for him.

If you're gonna keep saying Kap isn't ready without providing concrete proof then don't bother saying it at all. I don't know that Kap IS ready, but I'm fairly certain he won't fuck up the 29th passing offense.

I am a big Kaepernick fan but you and I have no reason to think that he is close to ready.
I get the yardage argument too but just like pointing to QB rating alone is a lame way to judge a QB pointing to yards without looking at things like TDs, INTs is lame as well. Not turning the ball over was a huge part of the Niners recipe for success.

If they can't keep Smith for something reasonable I am fine going with Kaepernick and some retread (who will cost millions per year to hold a clipboard) but I think it is risky.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Of course the only way Peyton plays is if he's physivcally able to. If he's "one hit away from retirement" then he'll retire, and it won't be an issue. But don't try to say the system will be an issue for him. That's a nonstarter.

...in which case (Peyton retiring) the Niners need to either trade the farm for Luck or start Kaep.

They aren't going to get luck and they aren't going to start over with a 36 year old injury prone statue.

Kaepernick is way more likely than either Luck or Manning.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to Kaep VS Alex:

or...

I could only accept your premise if we were close to maxing out our cap. We had quite a bit of cap space this year and didn't use it. If we sign Alex to a big contract, max out our cap, and have no one again, I will agree that we are paying our players too much. But we can't just assume more money for Smith = less money used elsewhere when there's a chance a lot of it goes unused.

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CK throwing to a lineup of Michael "BPA" Crabs, Kyle "The Truth" Williams, Josh "IR" Morgan and Tedd "ST" Ginn jr. Guaranteed to stomp all opposition. Get your ring fingers ready :horn:

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
:L
*sigh* Smith's/Harb's policy of putting great emphasis on ball control has been huge for us all year. If other QBs could've thrown only 5 picks all season, they would have, but none did except Alex, who except for a couple of games executed Harb's/Roman's strategies very well. Not allowing TO's has been a huge reason why the Niners won 6 games last season & 14 games this season. How could anyone watch the game yesterday and not realize that??

Smith was 28th in pass attempts a game. He was told to not take any risks. Other QB's dont have the luxury of arguably the top defense in the league. Our defense forced a ton of turnovers and we had great fieldage all year because of our superior special teams. There is a reason Akers broke the FG record.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many UNR games di you watch? Kaep might be good. Niners coming off an NFC Championship game and you get rid of Alex for an unproven 2nd round choice who looked decent in preseason.. Alex or Bowe I keep Alex and look to the draft. Kaep might be a goo quarterback might not be. I do not bet the farm that success in a college system that played no elite teams translates to success in the NFL when the Packers, Aints, Giants, Patriots, an Jets are on the schedule.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfucking believable. We go 13-3, with Smith's SEVENTH offensive system in 7 years, no OTAs, he only throws 5 picks, leads a number of 4th quarter comebacks, including one against the Saints, and already we're ready to throw him out and put Kaepernick in there. Based on what? Kaepernick's brilliant showing in the pre-season? I say let Smith have a full offseason with Harbaugh and he will improve. And no I wouldn't choose him over Manning, but under what realistic scenario are we getting Peyton Manning?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith was 28th in pass attempts a game. He was told to not take any risks. Other QB's dont have the luxury of arguably the top defense in the league. Our defense forced a ton of turnovers and we had great fieldage all year because of our superior special teams. There is a reason Akers broke the FG record.

Alex yes, but the 49ers as a team were 31st in the league. The only team that placed less emphasis on the pass was the Denver Broncos.

If we had to split the team into four categories - passing, running, defense, and special teams - where would passing rank in terms of importance this season? Definitely not before running and defense. A case can also be made that special teams, with David Akers and Andy Lee, played a more important role than our passing game.

There's no doubt that Smith has improved and has played mistake-free football for much of the year, but let's not overblow what he was this year. Can anyone say that they don't expect Kap to throw for 1 TD and 195 yards per game if he starts next season? Are these numbers really unreachable for Kap under Harbaugh?

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex yes, but the 49ers as a team were 31st in the league. The only team that placed less emphasis on the pass was the Denver Broncos.

If we had to split the team into four categories - passing, running, defense, and special teams - where would passing rank in terms of importance this season? Definitely not before running and defense. A case can also be made that special teams, with David Akers and Andy Lee, played a more important role than our passing game.

There's no doubt that Smith has improved and has played mistake-free football for much of the year, but let's not overblow what he was this year. Can anyone say that they don't expect Kap to throw for 1 TD and 195 yards per game if he starts next season? Are these numbers really unreachable for Kap under Harbaugh?

Can anyone say that they don't expect Kap to throw for 1 TD and 195 yards and at least 1 INT per game if he starts next season? Are these numbers really unreachable for Kap under Harbaugh?

It's not about the same amount of TDs or yards, it's about protecting the ball. Most rookies do not protect the ball well - and there's no possibility he would protect it as well as Smith did this year. Against a 1st Place schedule it would be like commiting suicide to switch to CK right now.