• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why it should be Kaep, Luck or Peyton for 2012

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In his last three seasons at Nevada Kap ran for 1203, 1183, and 1130 yards. How valuable is that skill set to this team?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can anyone say that they don't expect Kap to throw for 1 TD and 195 yards and at least 1 INT per game if he starts next season? Are these numbers really unreachable for Kap under Harbaugh?

It's not about the same amount of TDs or yards, it's about protecting the ball. Most rookies do not protect the ball well - and there's no possibility he would protect it as well as Smith did this year. Against a 1st Place schedule it would be like commiting suicide to switch to CK right now.

So you wanna give Smith 10mil per year so he can come here and protect the ball? Are you fucking kidding me?

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you wanna give Smith 10mil per year so he can come here and protect the ball? Are you fucking kidding me?

Yes. I am fucking kidding you. I don't want to give Smith any money fuck that. I'm not paying him. I want the Niners to resign him I don't give a shit how much they give him (within reason which I think is...) around $8 or 9mil (maybe some guaranteed some not), and still resign the players they need to keep this thing going.

It's more than protecting the ball and you know it. If we had turned the ball over say 10 more times you think we'd have been 13-3? You think we would have rolled through the NFC North and the West? You're delusional if you think that. Out in the first round of the playoffs - no home field advantage for sure - at best and if we were lucky.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In his last three seasons at Nevada Kap ran for 1203, 1183, and 1130 yards. How valuable is that skill set to this team?

That is awesome I agree. Cam Newton had sometihng like 1450 yards rushing which equated to what 700 in the NFL so I'd hazard a guess that at best CK could run for 600. That is all fine and dandy but fine and dandy is all it is really. It won't get you 13-3 a first round bye a playoff victory and 1 boneheaded play from the Superbowl - at least not in a rookie season not by a long shot imo.

But I'm not ripping CK hopefully he's the next Randall Cunnigham but he won't be next year.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That is awesome I agree. Cam Newton had sometihng like 1450 yards rushing which equated to what 700 in the NFL so I'd hazard a guess that at best CK could run for 600. That is all fine and dandy but fine and dandy is all it is really. It won't get you 13-3 a first round bye a playoff victory and 1 boneheaded play from the Superbowl - at least not in a rookie season not by a long shot imo.

But I'm not ripping CK hopefully he's the next Randall Cunnigham but he won't be next year.

I am a big CK fan but the level of competition that Auburn faced compared to UNR is pretty far apart.

69er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL We don't need Smith, we have Harbaugh. I can't help but believe that he can mold ANY QB. Let Smith test the market. I get that they love the guy, blah, blah, blah but business is business.

The Niners can do perfectly fine without Alex, so please...

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. I am fucking kidding you. I don't want to give Smith any money fuck that. I'm not paying him. I want the Niners to resign him I don't give a shit how much they give him (within reason which I think is...) around $8 or 9mil (maybe some guaranteed some not), and still resign the players they need to keep this thing going.

It's more than protecting the ball and you know it. If we had turned the ball over say 10 more times you think we'd have been 13-3? You think we would have rolled through the NFC North and the West? You're delusional if you think that. Out in the first round of the playoffs - no home field advantage for sure - at best and if we were lucky.

Of course you're not paying him out of your pocket. Jed York is paying him out of his. You don't think that 8.7mil difference between the 10mil you're giving Smith and the 1.3 you're giving Kap can sway Baalke/York to pursure a high ranked FA WR, maybe two? Is that worth sacrificing just to bring back what was one of the least used QBs in the league?

IF we turned the ball over 10 more times - no. Obviously not. But that's an unsubstantiated hypothetical. I can just easily say what if we had 10 more TDs out of the QB position.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Alex Smith won't be Randall Cunningham next year, either. That's not an argument not to see what Kap has.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
IF we turned the ball over 10 more times - no. Obviously not. But that's an unsubstantiated hypothetical. I can just easily say what if we had 10 more TDs out of the QB position.

B.S.

You don't think projecting a young QB out of a college shotgun offense with almost 0 NFL experience is going to have trouble protecting the ball is a substantiated hypothetical?

He threw as many INTs in 50 preseason passes as Smith did all year.

Our QB Production per play was average.

Our QB Counter-Production was at the bottom.

You easily look like an idiot if you claim 10 more TDs of production from the QB position with a 2nd round QB with no starts in the same balanced offense with WRs and Pass Blocking lacking the majority of the time.

Jimmy Clausen had ability and experience and production in college. But when you move out of the greenhouse of college and into the oven of the NFL it is a huge adjustment. He had 3 TD passes over 299 throws.

Jimmy could of just cut it lose and made some plays but I'm sure his INTs would of outpaced any TD increase. That is typically how it works with young QBs or young anythings in sports.

Barry Bonds finished 6th in Rookie of the Year. Wasn't really good till his 3rd year and great till his 5th year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

again, we're in a tough spot with no one close to being ready.

my guess is......most here don't want to pay Smith $10M per season, but we've got a good thing going with chemistry. we can pay Alex Smith and keep it going (be a play-off team), or go cheap with CK and be 6-10 this year, 8-8 the next?

not only do you risk the winning record and play-offs, but you risk the chemistry which could dissolve in half a season.

btw - after the season Alex just had there isn't much justification for letting him go, hence you're looking bad by reaching. you can only hope Alex wants WAY too much money.

Last edited by a moderator:

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
again, we're in a tough spot with no one close to being ready.

my guess is......most here don't want to pay Smith $10M per season, but we've got a good thing going with chemistry. we can pay Alex Smith and keep it going (be a play-off team), or go cheap with CK and be 6-10 this year, 8-8 the next?

not only do you risk the winning record and play-offs, but you risk the chemistry which could dissolve in half a season.

btw - after the season Alex just had there isn't much justification for letting him go, hence you're looking bad by reaching. you can only hope Alex wants WAY too much money.

What makes you think we'd be 6-10 with Kap?

Did you predict we'd be 13-3 with Alex Smith?

I'm deferring the QB decision to the 2 that know best. Harbaugh and Baalke.
If they decide to bring Alex back it probably means Kap is not ready. If they let Alex walk and go into the season with Kap as the starter then I would probably think Kap is ready.

Also last year's preseason games are no indicator of anything anymore.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

If they decide to bring Alex back it probably means Kap is not ready. If they let Alex walk and go into the season with Kap as the starter then I would probably think Kap is ready.

1. Kap is a 2nd round QB for a reason, in the history of the NFL draft, most 2nd rounders don't become quality starters.....at all.

2. Kap didn't take much snaps in 2011, he'll need to go thru the 'game speed' learning curve all QB's go thru. it might take the entire 2012 season for him to make a good transition, its not unheard of.

3. it takes game snaps to develop timing with receivers, Kap doesn't have any yet.

4. the QB needs to read defenses and make adjustments, this takes time.

so as good as the defense and ST's are, they won't save an even worse offense. we'll get off to a poor start and who knows about individual players? losing breeds dissent.

with Alex Smith i predict we win most West games, plus enough others to secure the West. this gets us into the play-offs and at least gives us a shot. if you really need numbers, i'll conservatively say 10-6.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been reading through all of this and everyone has good point for both sides. Im on board for whatever the front office wants to do.

Honestly i dont think Kap/Tolzien would be good for next year, i think they need to sit behind 1 more yr and get as much practice as possible. One factor some may not be looking at is our schedule next yr. I think no matter how good our defense can play that we still need someone with more confidence/game experience to keep up with the top teams we will be playing next year.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Manning to 49ers could be tricky to pull off | ProFootballTalk

Manning to 49ers could be tricky to pull off

With all signs pointing to Peyton Manning and the Colts heading for a divorce, the question becomes whether, and when, Peyton will pick a new bride.

The Cardinals, Dolphins, and Jets have been mentioned as possible destinations. If, however, Peyton plans to try to win more Super Bowls, the best team most in need of an upgrade at quarterback could be the 49ers.

Apart from the intriguing tentacles (Manning succeeding San Fran coach Jim Harbaugh as the Colts quarterback, Harbaugh coached the likely next Colts quarterback, Andrew Luck, at Stanford) and the question of whether Manning would move his wife and infant twins to California, the 49ers have the defense, the running game, and the fiery head coach to help Manning add to his one ring.

But here’s where it gets tricky for the 49ers. With starting quarterback Alex Smith due to be a free agent on March 13 and the Colts not forced to make a decision on Manning until March 8, the 49ers could lose Smith if they don’t move quickly on Manning, who may not be fully healthy at that point.

That’s why the best fit for Manning could be a team that already has a starting quarterback under contract for 2012, giving the team some flexibility because there’s already a Plan A in place. Then, that team could do either what the Jets did to Chad Pennington in 2008 or what the Vikings did to Tarvaris Jackson in 2009 and 2010, if this year’s Plan A+ comes to town.

The 49ers could pull it off by re-signing Smith to a manageable deal, which would leave enough cap room to bring in Manning later. As Rosenthal pointed out Tuesday, Smith’s performance in the NFC title game could mean that the 49ers won’t have to break the bank in order to keep him around.

I posted it here cause there was already a thread made!!

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Play 1 off the other.

Likely Smith would be the one who would most likely give.

Tell his peeps we are gonna try Manning at 18mil or whatever vs you at 10. Smith and co would probably propose less per year on average but longer commitment. That would allow Cap space to try and get a thing or 2 at the top of our wish list vs. the refurbished ones you could afford after signing Manning.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B.S.

You don't think projecting a young QB out of a college shotgun offense with almost 0 NFL experience is going to have trouble protecting the ball is a substantiated hypothetical?

He threw as many INTs in 50 preseason passes as Smith did all year.

Our QB Production per play was average.

Our QB Counter-Production was at the bottom.

You easily look like an idiot if you claim 10 more TDs of production from the QB position with a 2nd round QB with no starts in the same balanced offense with WRs and Pass Blocking lacking the majority of the time.

Jimmy Clausen had ability and experience and production in college. But when you move out of the greenhouse of college and into the oven of the NFL it is a huge adjustment. He had 3 TD passes over 299 throws.

Jimmy could of just cut it lose and made some plays but I'm sure his INTs would of outpaced any TD increase. That is typically how it works with young QBs or young anythings in sports.

Barry Bonds finished 6th in Rookie of the Year. Wasn't really good till his 3rd year and great till his 5th year.

Exactly. This here is the truth.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I too will leave the decision up to them and I will blame them if things don;t work!

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying No to Manning. Why pay that guy 16-20 million per year coming off a neck injury that has taking forever to heal. If we payout that kind of money we will be unable to sign a lot of our free agents as well. I think keeping this team intact out weights getting Manning, and even if we got him who does he throw the ball too? We would still need to upgrade our receivers.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm saying No to Manning. Why pay that guy 16-20 million per year coming off a neck injury that has taking forever to heal. If we payout that kind of money we will be unable to sign a lot of our free agents as well. I think keeping this team intact out weights getting Manning, and even if we got him who does he throw the ball too? We would still need to upgrade our receivers.

I love the 'idea' of Peyton - but I agree with this opinion.