• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why it should be Kaep, Luck or Peyton for 2012

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure how much this applies to the 49ers, since they didn't win the Super Bowl... but I keep thinking about how the Ravens collapsed when they decided to get rid of Dilfer for the "sexier" QB in Grbac.

Dilfer was a lot like Smith, mostly unimpressive but every once in a while he'd have flashes of brilliance when the team needed it. The locker room loved Dilfer, and they believed in him for whatever reason. I kind of get the feeling that the 49ers locker room feels the same about Smith. They love him and believe in him.

Maybe the mistake of the Ravens was to replace Dilfer with Grbac, who wasn't much of an upgrade... which the 49ers wouldn't run into with Manning, probably wouldn't run into with Luck... and who knows about CK yet.

But anyway, to my point, I think the best way for CK to take over the team is something similar to how Brady beat out Bledsoe. Not to say I want Smith to get hurt so CK can get his shot, just that it in a perfect world... it'd be nice to have CK take the job and run with it, instead of just giving it to him. I think that helps CK win over the locker room, which is a pretty important dynamic...

RhojiF

Rhoji
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Last night was playing like the 2010 49ers, the game plan was completely different from this season.

As long as Alex Vick can play like he did against the Saints and not like last night, I'm all for supporting him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not sure how much this applies to the 49ers, since they didn't win the Super Bowl... but I keep thinking about how the Ravens collapsed when they decided to get rid of Dilfer for the "sexier" QB in Grbac.

Dilfer was a lot like Smith, mostly unimpressive but every once in a while he'd have flashes of brilliance when the team needed it. The locker room loved Dilfer, and they believed in him for whatever reason. I kind of get the feeling that the 49ers locker room feels the same about Smith. They love him and believe in him.

Maybe the mistake of the Ravens was to replace Dilfer with Grbac, who wasn't much of an upgrade... which the 49ers wouldn't run into with Manning, probably wouldn't run into with Luck... and who knows about CK yet.

But anyway, to my point, I think the best way for CK to take over the team is something similar to how Brady beat out Bledsoe. Not to say I want Smith to get hurt so CK can get his shot, just that it in a perfect world... it'd be nice to have CK take the job and run with it, instead of just giving it to him. I think that helps CK win over the locker room, which is a pretty important dynamic...

ok, finally a post that made sense to me.

when CK is good enough, proven he's good enough, he'll take over. i call Alex Smith a stop gap even now, but don't like the other options either. to me the lesser of the evils is negotiate with Alex Smith.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last night was playing like the 2010 49ers, the game plan was completely different from this season.

As long as Alex Vick can play like he did against the Saints and not like last night, I'm all for supporting him.

I don't expect 4 TDs and 300 yards out of Alex every game next season. If you're looking for that you will probably be disappointed. I thought he actually played well enough to win yesterday 2 passing TDs no TOs and a bunch of nice runs - it took two mistakes to undo what otherwise would have likely been a win.

We should have relied more on the run in the 4th we were crushing them on the ground. We could have won this game probably should have, but hey getting to the NFC Championship is no joke we should be improved next season and I think we will make another playoff run.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't Bledsoe get hurt? I wouldn't call that beating.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Bledsoe get hurt? I wouldn't call that beating.

He did, that is why I said right after that...
Not to say I want Smith to get hurt so CK can get his shot, just that it in a perfect world... it'd be nice to have CK take the job and run with it, instead of just giving it to him

It's not the typical, beating a guy out for the job scenario. Where he does it in camp, but Brady still beat out Bledsoe for the job by proving he could do it better on Sunday's instead of on the practice field.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then we have two different defintions of "beating".

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm all for re-signing Alex Smith given that (1) we can re-sign all our other key free agents like Rogers, Goldson, Brooks, Walker, etc. and (2) Alex gets a short term deal 2-3 years for reasonable money.

If we cannot satisfy (1) and (2) forget it.

Put it this way, if it comes down to keeping the defense intact, or keeping Alex Smith, I'd rather keep the defense intact.

Texas9erFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alex has earned the right to be our starting QB next season. And despite any doubts that we have, and I have some too, I wouldn't switch him out for anyone except Rodgers or Brees! LOL
If he has to compete for his job, I guess that would be OK. That's kinda business as usual in the NFL. Even Mooch got fired after losing a post season game.

I'd like to see what Alex can do with some consistency in the coaching staff and a full off-season to re-build that offense. Personally, I believe he can improve. I don't think we've seen the best that he can perform.

If anything, I'd say Crabs is a bust. We need a go-to wideout. Either through FA or the draft. In the draft we need to pick a couple of receivers. Focusing on offense will be key. But we're also good enough as a team to simply take the best player available.

Ugh... the off season. Is it September yet?

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Peyton Manning?
Would Peyton come here and play Roman and Harbaugh's system taking play calls from Roman or would the Niners try to implement the Peyton Manning offense for as long as he could play?

Neither scenario seems realistic.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Peyton Manning?
Would Peyton come here and play Roman and Harbaugh's system taking play calls from Roman or would the Niners try to implement the Peyton Manning offense for as long as he could play?

Neither scenario seems realistic.

Manning we just fit in with the system.

No matter which team he would go to it's not going to be the Colt's offense so among his options he would likely have to learn a new offense.

If we go after him we'd by far be the best team after him and we'd easily give him the best shot at another title. And my guess is that he's probably after another ring to cement his legacy because he doesn't have much time left to get it.

notmyfault

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF? We just went 13-3 and were in position to make the Super Bowl if it wasn't for KW powdering his hands with butter all fuckin' game long and fans don't want Smith back at QB? WTF?

Listen - Smith didn't play like he did against the Saints, but he played well enough to beat a damn good Giants defense. A DAMN GOOD ONE. A defense that shut the Packers and Rodgers DOWN. Lets not even discuss how they annihilation the Falcons.

I absolutely want Smith back and I hope he wants to stay. If this last game proved anything, the less TO's the better especially with our stout defense...and Smith has managed to keep his TO's down to a minimum which is a more important for this team than throwing for 300+ yards a game.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't see a single advantage in bringing Alex back over giving Kaepernick a shot at the starting job next year.

You look like a clown. Admit the advantages even a retard could plainly see and then make your case and say you think that outweighs the other side.

I look like a clown for thinking Kaep would probably play just as well as Alex Smith did? I didn't exactly set the bar extremely high.

I'm not knocking Alex; I'm just caling him what he is: an average QB who played a little above average in the regular season for the first time in his career this year. I know a #1 WR would help; that's beside the point. A #1 WR would help Kaep too.

Nobody is going to beat playoff teams being 1 dimentional. The Niners are very 1 dimentional. They got lucky (and Alex had the best game of his career -granted) against the Saints. 5 turnovers & Pierre Thomas was knocked out of the game on the first drive. That doesn't change the fact that, given enough attempts, Alex's play will be AVERAGE in the long run. Why sign a big contract for guaranteed average play when there's a good chance Kaepernick could at least play average?

Alex floats those deeper passes very well. But sooner or later you're going to see a dart straight at the WR's feet that looked like he gripped the ball too long. He can run very well, but Kaep can run better.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Re: Manning

If by some unlikely chance Manning became a Niner the system would not be a problem. He's Peyton friggn' Manning; he could play anywhere.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Re: Manning

If by some unlikely chance Manning became a Niner the system would not be a problem. He's Peyton friggn' Manning; he could play anywhere.

Hey Peyton, we are going to throw the ball 25 times per game and you are going to take your snaps from under center and don't think you can just audible whenever you want...Uhh, OK

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Hey Peyton, we are going to throw the ball 25 times per game and you are going to take your snaps from under center and don't think you can just audible whenever you want...Uhh, OK

??????????????????????????

I take it all back; Peyton will struggle picking up an offense; and the coaching staff wouldn't trust him to audible. And there's no way he's talented enough to take a snap under center. I mean we're not talking about one of the smartest offensive players in the history of the league or anything.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Back to Kaep VS Alex:

The money needed to re-sign Alex could be used to get kaepernick a #1 WR.

So, financially speaking, it's a physically superior but unknown 2nd year QB with the most talented TE in the NFL and a #1 WR with Crabby as the #2...

or...

Alex with the same receivers. Financially speaking of course.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm pretty sure Peyton fucking Manning would not get the Alex Smith treatment from Roman.

Don't be ridiculous.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
??????????????????????????

I take it all back; Peyton will struggle picking up an offense; and the coaching staff wouldn't trust him to audible. And there's no way he's talented enough to take a snap under center. I mean we're not talking about one of the smartest offensive players in the history of the league or anything.

Are people actually saying they'd rather have Smith than Manning on this team? I'm fucking dumbfounded.