• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who should USC go after as their next HC?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who has proved he can coach. I mean he won at Kansas, something Hawkins couldn't do at Colorado.

Seriously though!! No doubt that he can coach, I'm not sure why his name doesn't come up much when jobs open up!!

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ducks are skeered!!

It's okay Duckies!! You have one more season with us under sanctions!!
$%28KGrHqVHJFIE92EZwDTUBPfijbOVCw%7E%7E60_35.JPG

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting read up on espn for insiders...not sure if I can post here without angering the mods...but basically todd mcshay and kiper both agree usc is still a much desired job. very few coaches have better gigs than the current opening at SC

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is. Helps you can pay big money to assistants. Great location minus the murders and other crime. Built in recruiting.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting read up on espn for insiders...not sure if I can post here without angering the mods...but basically todd mcshay and kiper both agree usc is still a much desired job. very few coaches have better gigs than the current opening at SC

no probs at all man. Link it or paste it her... Please. We always use cBS and Espin for references.

And anybody denying SC isnt a top 5 job in CFB is an idiot honestly.

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The discussion: How soon can USC be a title contender again?

Mel Kiper: There's a pretty good argument to be made that the USC job is more appealing now than when Pete Carroll left for Seattle. I mean that.

Think about it:

• The threat of probation and scholarship losses is gone. The punishment has come down, and the worst of it will soon be over.
• You're not taking over for Carroll, who had a brilliant run. You're taking over for Lane Kiffin, who had an awful run.

But what Kiffin did not do was tarnish the brand of USC football. In fact, the fact that Kiffin has been fired shows that people understand he wasn't good enough to lead the brand. Just because the guy couldn't drive the Lamborghini doesn't make the car any less valuable. Yes, Kiffin faced challenges due to the scholarship restrictions (so maybe the air in the tires was low), but his failure still leaves the feeling that the program wasn't the problem. That USC recruited so well during the Kiffin era, even with those restrictions, reinforces this for me. This is a team that doesn't need to change its uniforms for a big game. This is a powerful football brand.

Bottom line: There isn't a coach that won't take a call from USC. I'm not saying the Trojans can just go and get anybody they want, but this is one of the great jobs in college football. You have the fan base as the biggest football show in town (even with UCLA's resurgence), you sit in the middle of a massive region full of talent and you even have sparkling new facilities.

Whether it's Jack Del Rio, Kevin Sumlin, Tim DeRuyter, Chris Peterson or any other number of candidates -- I still think Mike Riley would do a great job -- if Pat Haden hires someone with a track record of success, he's going to have a program that can be in contention for national titles within the next few years. The key is the track record of success. USC is always going to have talent; a better coach and leader will have them back near the top soon.

McShay: Traditional powerhouses that go through a down period can be restored quickly so long as the program finds the right leader. Alabama, Florida and even USC (back in 2002) are all examples of big-time programs that had begun to sputter but quickly got back on track after landing the right coaches (Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Carroll).

[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Jack DempseyJack Del Rio, who played at USC, has been mentioned as a possible replacement for Lane Kiffin.

What makes the right guy? To me, it's someone who can assemble the right coaching staff to accomplish the following three goals: (1) identify talent; (2) develop talent; and (3) establish program discipline. (For the last one, I mean that from the classroom to practices to games you get your athletes to fulfill their responsibilities and execute at a high level.)
Taking this from the abstract to the literal, however, just what kind of a situation will the next Trojans coach be walking into? A pretty good one. USC has everything a coach needs to succeed in terms of tradition, support from the school and facilities. And unlike during Kiffin's tenure, the effect from the scholarship restrictions shouldn't be too bad (they are set to expire following the 2014 season).
While Kiffin and his staff definitely failed in many ways, the reality is that Kiffin took this job when the team's talent level was on the decline. The Trojans recruited well during his tenure and did an adequate job at player development, but these were not the Carroll-era Trojans that had an average of 7.6 draft picks and four first- and second-rounders each year from 2003-09. From 2010-13 USC averaged 5.8 draft picks and just 1.5 first- and second-rounders. This decline in talent level can't all be put on Kiffin. Carroll got out at the right time, with both the NCAA bearing down on the program and the team's recruiting slipping a bit from the elite level of its previous seasons.
Looking ahead, USC won't be losing too much off this year's roster. WR Marqise Lee has a first-round grade, but the rest of the team's NFL draft prospects have mid-round grades: DE Morgan Breslin, RB Silas Redd, DE Devon Kennard and OLB Dion Bailey.
The bottom line for USC is that if it hires the right coach, it won't take long for the Trojans to be back on track. The restrictions will slow that process a little bit, so if it took programs like Alabama and Florida two years to become national title contenders, it might take USC three years to get the talent back up to that point.
But this is still a fantastic job. Very few coaches in the country have better gigs than the one that is now open at USC, in my opinion.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great job just need the right guy. I will say its a tougher job now then when Carroll was there because UCLA, Oregon, Standford and now Washington are so much stronger. It ain't the cake walk it used to be Scott has the conference headed in the right direction.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps Norm Chow once the season is over?

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironbreaker y'all are running the same offense now, just not as effectively as Oregon!

And I say that with all due respect. I am very, very impressed with Washington this season. And obviously they smashed my Broncos as well.

Um no. The offenses arent the same.

Which isn't relevant anyway. I never said I am a fan of the Husky system. I said a pro style offense is better than the horse shit Oregon runs.

I'll take a well ran pro style offense anyday over the gimmicky no huddle crap.

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um no. The offenses arent the same.

Which isn't relevant anyway. I never said I am a fan of the Husky system. I said a pro style offense is better than the horse shit Oregon runs.

I'll take a well ran pro style offense anyday over the gimmicky no huddle crap.

no matter who the coach is I would like to see a little more play book expansion...yeah usc has a deep tradition of pro style offense. not saying completely abandon that but kind of incorporate more different looks. having a mobile qb seems to be where its at...look at how horrible the Oakland raiders are but with Terrell pryor in there able to scramble and buy time to throw he makes a difference.