• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency 2022

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
An Edge rusher makes sense but unfortunately Ford's contract makes it hard to cut him. Not on board with Cordarelle Patterson because that cap should go to the O-line, we have enough weapons. I especially like the Marcus Mariota idea over Tyrod Taylor.

There are multiple ways to build a championship team. The 49ers may not always make the move I think they should make, but I trust they will make the right decisions for the team. With that in mind, here are five players the 49ers could target once free agency begins:

Laken Tomlinson, Guard
The 49ers need a left guard to pair with all-world left tackle Trent Williams. And they would prefer to have one that is reliable and doesn't miss games. Enter Laken Tomlinson.

Tomlinson, who has spent five seasons in San Francisco, has been the definition of reliable. The 49ers are most likely trying to re-sign him before free agency begins. Tomlinson is a pro bowl guard who will draw interest from other teams. It is safe to say the 49ers need him as much as any other team does, if not more.

The 49ers don't usually spend big free-agent dollars on guards, so I wouldn't expect Washington guard Brandon Scherff to be an option. Hopefully, the 49ers can get something worked out with Tomlinson. If he ends up going somewhere else, you can expect left guard to become an immediate priority in free agency.

And considering how the 49ers' right side of the offensive line is unstable, it's all the more reason to ensure they bring back Tomlinson.

Marcus Mariota, Quarterback
Count me as one who believes Trey Lance will be the starting quarterback for the 49ers in 2022. I'm excited about Lance. But he is young, and also dealt with two injuries last season. He will need a veteran backup who can help him develop, and who can win a game or two, if needed.

While most are predicting Tyrod Taylor to be signed in free agency (due in part to his relationship with new offensive coach Anthony Lynn), I think Marcus Mariota would be a more exciting backup. Taylor has more experience, and will likely be a target for the 49ers in free agency, but Mariota, in Kyle Shanahan's offense, might be too exciting to pass up.

Mariota has the kind of arm talent and ability to run that had many believing he would be a star in the NFL. That hasn't happened. Mariota is a backup quarterback. But he has enough talent and experience to win some games. I would be excited if the 49ers signed Taylor, but I think Mariota might be an even better choice.

Haason Reddick, Edge Rusher
The 49ers need an edge rusher who can take the pressure of Bosa, and free up Arik Armstead inside. Haason Reddick might be able to do just that. Reddick has double-digit sacks both of the past two seasons and holds up well against the run, as well.

Another option might be Emmanuel Ogbah. Ogbah had nine sacks in 2020 and 2021. He isn't going to excite the fanbase, but perhaps the 49ers defensive line coach Kris Kocurek can get more out of him, as he has other defensive linemen.

Don't expect the 49ers to pursue Von Miller, Chandler Jones, Jadeveon Clowney, or Randy Gregory. Miller and Jones will likely be too expensive. Clowney is expensive and always hurt (just like the guy he'd be replacing, Dee Ford). Gregory has a history of off-field issues but has stayed out of trouble the past couple of seasons.

D.J. Reed, Cornerback
It's time to undo one of the 49ers' past mistakes, letting D.J. Reed get away by waiving him in August 2020. Not only did the 49ers lose Reed, but the Seattle Seahawks also picked him up. Color me shocked.

Reed has become a solid cornerback and has some experience as a nickel corner, which is why I included him on this list. With K'Waun Williams potentially leaving in free agency, the 49ers need a veteran corner who can play nickel. Second-year corner Deommandore Lenior will get a chance to prove he's ready, but we've seen how a thin secondary can cost you.

There are a lot of free-agent corners on the market, and the big names like J.C. Jackson and Stephon Gilmore will be too pricey. Bringing back Jason Verrett might be a good idea if it's a "prove-it" type contract.

Cordarrelle Patterson, Running Back
Imagine Shanahan scheming up Cordarrelle Patterson to go along with Samuel. What he could do with those two in the lineup, at the same time, could be electrifying. I could really get excited about this potential signing. With all the misdirection, pre-snap movement, the combination of speed and power from those two players is enough to at least make you consider signing Patterson. Not to mention the potential mismatches defenses would have to deal with.

That said, I think there's a chance the team re-signs Raheem Mostert, and if they do, Patterson will likely not be a target. It is possible that Mostert prices himself out of range for what the 49ers want to pay an oft-injured running back. Or maybe Mostert's rare speed is enough to make the team bring him back.

Those are the five (or so) free agents I believe the 49ers could target in a few weeks. There are some positions I think they need to target, but didn't list. For instance, I'd love to see the 49ers get a shifty slot receiver, someone who can quickly get open when you need to pick up one or two yards. And safety might be a position they need to look at, as well, especially if Jaquiski Tartt doesn't return.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The 49ers have some work to do with the salary cap. Their effective cap number puts them at about $11.5 million over the $208.2 million maximumabout $11.5 million over the $208.2 million maximum per Over the Cap. Effective cap space is the available space a team will have once they have at least 51 players on their roster for the 2022 campaign.

While preparing to enter an offseason well above the salary cap isn’t ideal, the 49ers have plenty of options for clearing space.

The most notable option for them is to either trade or release quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, who carries a $26.95 million cap hit next season. Trading him would free up $25.55 million with San Francisco carrying the additional $1.4 million in dead cap.

Releasing defensive end Dee Ford could also provide some cap relief depending on the timing of the move. They could save $2.4 million in space if they designate him as a post-June 1 cut. The problem with that is they won’t be able to use any of that room in free agency.

There are also some contract restructures available. Defensive lineman Arik Armstead stands out in that regard with a $20 million cap number this year that could be reduced with a restructure that pushes some of that money down the road.

While they do have a quarterback on a rookie deal, San Francisco should still want to clear some cap space for a player like free agent LG Laken Tomlinson. Theoretically they may want more room to fit a Nick Bosa or Deebo Samuel extension in, but those larger cap numbers would almost assuredly be toward the back end of the deal and not the first year. There are other holes they’ll need to fill in free agency as well, plus draft picks to sign.

Garoppolo and his trade market have dominated the offseason for the 49ers, but once that domino falls they’ll have a lot of work to do to get themselves in a more comfortable place financially.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers have some work to do with the salary cap. Their effective cap number puts them at about $11.5 million over the $208.2 million maximumabout $11.5 million over the $208.2 million maximum per Over the Cap. Effective cap space is the available space a team will have once they have at least 51 players on their roster for the 2022 campaign.

While preparing to enter an offseason well above the salary cap isn’t ideal, the 49ers have plenty of options for clearing space.

The most notable option for them is to either trade or release quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, who carries a $26.95 million cap hit next season. Trading him would free up $25.55 million with San Francisco carrying the additional $1.4 million in dead cap.

Releasing defensive end Dee Ford could also provide some cap relief depending on the timing of the move. They could save $2.4 million in space if they designate him as a post-June 1 cut. The problem with that is they won’t be able to use any of that room in free agency.

There are also some contract restructures available. Defensive lineman Arik Armstead stands out in that regard with a $20 million cap number this year that could be reduced with a restructure that pushes some of that money down the road.

While they do have a quarterback on a rookie deal, San Francisco should still want to clear some cap space for a player like free agent LG Laken Tomlinson. Theoretically they may want more room to fit a Nick Bosa or Deebo Samuel extension in, but those larger cap numbers would almost assuredly be toward the back end of the deal and not the first year. There are other holes they’ll need to fill in free agency as well, plus draft picks to sign.

Garoppolo and his trade market have dominated the offseason for the 49ers, but once that domino falls they’ll have a lot of work to do to get themselves in a more comfortable place financially.
Just b/c we can't use the 2.4M saved by making Ford a June 1st cut in free agency doesn't mean it's a bad idea. We could use that money to help sign out rookie class.

As for Armstead, there is more to his contract than his cap number. As AA's contract stands:
2022 Salary, 14.15M, Bonuses 2.35M; SB proration 3.5M, Cap# 20M
2023 Salary, 15.89M, Bonuses 2.35M; SB proration 3.5M, Cap# 21.74M
2024 Salary, 17.41M, Bonuses 2.35M; SB proration 3.5M, Cap# 23.26M

We can cut him after 2022 and save around 5M.
We can cut him after 2023 and save around 12M.

Restructuring Armstead's deal is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it's a good idea b/c if we move much of his 2022 salary into a bonus, that'll either eliminate or reduce any cap savings by cutting him in the future years--almost forcing us to keep him. As it stands, our best move looks like cutting him after 2023 and I'd rather not jeopardize that flexibility, not to mention that restructuring would end up with AA having a 2023 and 2024 cap numbers north of 25M.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just b/c we can't use the 2.4M saved by making Ford a June 1st cut in free agency doesn't mean it's a bad idea. We could use that money to help sign out rookie class.

As for Armstead, there is more to his contract than his cap number. As AA's contract stands:
2022 Salary, 14.15M, Bonuses 2.35M; SB proration 3.5M, Cap# 20M
2023 Salary, 15.89M, Bonuses 2.35M; SB proration 3.5M, Cap# 21.74M
2024 Salary, 17.41M, Bonuses 2.35M; SB proration 3.5M, Cap# 23.26M

We can cut him after 2022 and save around 5M.
We can cut him after 2023 and save around 12M.

Restructuring Armstead's deal is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it's a good idea b/c if we move much of his 2022 salary into a bonus, that'll either eliminate or reduce any cap savings by cutting him in the future years--almost forcing us to keep him. As it stands, our best move looks like cutting him after 2023 and I'd rather not jeopardize that flexibility, not to mention that restructuring would end up with AA having a 2023 and 2024 cap numbers north of 25M.
I'm fine if we cut Ford post June, even if we only save $2.4M. Yes, our window is now and that $2.4M makes a difference with depth.

Regarding Armstead and other potential restructures, that is the art of maneuvering the cap. Yes we'd rather hold Armstead's contract as is but then we may not have enough cap to sign quality FAs now? The window is now so we have to address this coming season first. It is the same idea for the rest of the potential restructures, ideally we don't restructure any of them, but then how do you fill out the roster with quality?

We have some very good players that are under contract, so we must mortgage the future to fill in the rest of the starters. We can't fill the rest of the starting units with rookies and low end FAs. Hopefully, Kinlaw and Banks can help fill two spots.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
On Tuesday, Lynch indicated that the 49ers aren't closing the door on Garoppolo remaining with the team in 2022. That would mean, once again, carrying both Garoppolo and Lance. However, if the Niners retain Garoppolo, there would likely be a quarterback competition to determine the starter.

"Also, know that we've got a really good quarterback in Jimmy," Lynch continued. "If we have the two of them again, and let them go compete, then we're happy to do that as well. And we're capable of doing that with our cap."

That last comment is interesting because everyone assumes the 49ers need to free up Garoppolo's salary. Replacing him with last year's No. 3 overall pick, Trey Lance, allows the 49ers more room for financial maneuvering. It allows them to hold onto some key impending free agents like Laken Tomlinson, D.J. Jones, and K'Waun Williams. It will also offer some flexibility in bringing in outside help to shore up certain positions.

"There are certainly tradeoffs," Lynch admitted, "but we budgeted for a lot of different things with plan A, plan B, plan C, and one of those scenarios—a couple of different of those scenarios—has included Jimmy. And so yes, we can do it. It will curtail what we are able to do, the aggressiveness we have in free agency.

I believe they can carry JG but it'll mean restructuring 5-6 contracts, not be aggressive in free agency (including our own), and not extend Deebo nor Bosa. IMO we will not be a better TEAM if we retain JG, being able to re-fill the starting roles with quality will make us better.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/lis...***********&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

1. DJ Jones
2. Raheem Mostert
3. Arden Key
4. Jaquiski Tartt
5. K'Wan Williams
6. Jeff Wilson Jr

Losing DJ Jones is huge but thats free agency, he's deserving of a large contract and we just can't fit him in. The lost of these other 5 free agents, isn't too bad, don't like losing them but less impact than losing DJ.

Of these other 5, i'd have wanted to keep Arden Key because interior pass rushing is hard to find.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seems to me you go into the draft and see if there is solid value in an Edge rusher? If so, then you draft him then consider Ford as a post June 1st cut. If you can keep both on the team great, but if not Ford needs to go.

With all of these injuries, why should the 49ers keep Ford? Reason number one: Ford did a solid for the team. Without him restructuring his contract, the San Francisco 49ers would not have been able to sign Trent Williams and other free agents. Ford adding more years to his contract allowed the 49ers to free up $11 million. So essentially, it's safe to say that Ford is the reason the 49ers have the best left tackle in football.

Reason number two is his production on the football field. In 2021, the 49ers were able to produce 48 sacks, and Ford recorded three of them. He also recorded five combined tackles and a forced fumble. He played in six games before he was shut down for the season. Ford started the 2021 season off hot. While he is 30 years old, when healthy, he's the perfect complimentary piece to the young phenom Nick Bosa, who finished the 2021 season with 15.5 sacks and four forced fumbles. If you think back, Bosa got off to a hot start as well, mainly because of the attention Ford demanded. Offensive lines didn't know which player to double team. Ford could beat you with his speed and technique and occasionally win with his power. He was the best edge player when it came to containing outside. Once again, having Ford enables others to perform at their best.

The last reason is the most obvious. Many don't like to hear about the money, but it always comes down to the capital. According to OverTheCap, Ford will become a free agent in 2023, a void year for the 49ers. As noted above, Ford extended his contract for two years. His contract has an $11.9 million cap hit in 2022. If the 49ers were to release him pre-June 1, the dead cap hit would be $14.4 million. The 49ers won't save any money, and they will have to spend about $2.5 million to release him. Ford's post-June 1 numbers are slightly different. His dead cap after June 1 is $9.5 million, so the 49ers could save about $2.4 million in 2022. The 49ers have two options: spend $2.5 million or save $2.4 million. Is Ford's production worth the savings?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Tyrod Taylor makes sense but i'd pass on the other five FAs. With nine draft picks, we're better off drafting for depth and development. Not all nine picks will pan out but we'll also add an UDFA or two. We should spend our cap on less FAs but quality FAs, to fill starting roles.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tyrod Taylor makes sense but i'd pass on the other five FAs. With nine draft picks, we're better off drafting for depth and development. Not all nine picks will pan out but we'll also add an UDFA or two. We should spend our cap on less FAs but quality FAs, to fill starting roles.

I like the idea of Cordarelle Patterson for a few reasons. He checks a few boxes that I feel the Niners need checking. First, he solidifies our Punt/Kickoff game immediately. Second, he's a more than serviceable WR weapon. Third, his ability to run similarly to Deebo allows the Niners the luxury of added production while minimizing injury risk to Deebo by sharing these carries that he inevitably would get hit on. Now, if he's going to command a pretty penny, then kick rocks. But otherwise, I don't why we wouldn't want him on the team.

Same with DJ Reed. His numbers last season were fantastic, he's shown improvement each season. He can play nickel or outside and he's familiar with the system.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OG market is hot already!
--Scherff signing with the Jags.
--Tomlinson leaves us for the Jets. 3yr, 40M, 27M guaranteed. That’s more than 15M/year. No way we’d pay that.
--Bengals signing OG Alex Cappa to a 4yr, 40M deal. That means Brady will be coming back to a Bucs team missing both starting OGs from last year.

Some notable cuts:
Panthers cut CB AJ Bouye.
Browns cutting WR J.Landry.
Packers release Edge Z.Smith, OT Billy Turner (saves the Pack 18M in cap space).

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now Titans OG Saffold has signed in Buffalo. Those OGs are flying off the shelves.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like the idea of Cordarelle Patterson for a few reasons. He checks a few boxes that I feel the Niners need checking. First, he solidifies our Punt/Kickoff game immediately. Second, he's a more than serviceable WR weapon. Third, his ability to run similarly to Deebo allows the Niners the luxury of added production while minimizing injury risk to Deebo by sharing these carries that he inevitably would get hit on. Now, if he's going to command a pretty penny, then kick rocks. But otherwise, I don't why we wouldn't want him on the team.

Same with DJ Reed. His numbers last season were fantastic, he's shown improvement each season. He can play nickel or outside and he's familiar with the system.
Your opinion of Patterson is fine but there are only so many balls to go around? Even now Deebo will need to share with Aiyuk and Kittle, because Lance can throw it to more spots further downfield. Deebo handles the shorter stuff (WR/RB) and so would Patterson. Wouldn't Patterson just further reduce Deebo's touches?

My opinion is we're better off adding a WR who can work downfield in the event Aiyuk gets injured. Someone like Valdez-Scantilling, Sherfield (re-sign him), or at least draft a 'speed' WR.

Ok, i guess DJ Reed is fine, we do need help there and why not ge experienced help.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Now Titans OG Saffold has signed in Buffalo. Those OGs are flying off the shelves.
Clearly, we need Aaron Banks to become what they thought he'd become. He'll start off slowly which will affect Lance, but we have to move forward with him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Very tough losing Laken Tomlinson and DJ Jones. two very good players.

Small consolation but wouldn't we get Compensatory picks in 2023? IF so, i would think at least a 3rd rounder?

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Small consolation but wouldn't we get Compensatory picks in 2023? IF so, i would think at least a 3rd rounder?
How is DJ Jones, is he as good as advertised?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Comps are awarded in rds 3 through 7. So, there is no 'at least' a 3rd b/c a 3rd the highest comp you can get. IIRC, teams can only get awarded 3 comps per season.

To get ANY comp, we'll have to lose more FAs than we sign. If we lose Tomlinson, Jones, and Williams, but we sign Ward, McKissic, and Tonyan, we do not get comps at all, even if the players we sign are much cheaper than the players we lost.

Jones is a great run stopper, and last year he even showed some pass rushing ability. Last season was by far and away his best year and also his healthiest year--as his issue has always been his health, and he just so happened to stay healthy during his FA season.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We lose Tomlinson to the Jets and Jones to the Broncos.

Tomlinson’s deal in NY is 3yr, 41.2M max value, 27M guaranteed, 13.6M/yr

Jones’s deal in Denver is 3yr, 30M max value, 20M guaranteed, 10M/yr

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As in prior years, the Niners could end up signing players that were CUT by their former team b/c they don’t count in the comp formula. We lost Jones, but someone like the Bears’ Eddie Goldman or the Vikings M.Pierce could be a significantly cheaper vet replacements that won’t hurt our comp picks (assuming we get any).

And what is up with these WRs contracts? C.Kirk’s deal is nuts. Gallup’s deal looked too big until these started coming down the pipe. C.Wilson and even DJ Chark got surprising money. It seems to happen every couple of years, as I remember M.Jones got a ridiculous contract, then teams got into a bidding war over Kenny Golliday, etc.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes he is VERY good. He is immovable and mobile, very disruptive.

Early on he was injured a lot, but he was fine last season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As in prior years, the Niners could end up signing players that were CUT by their former team b/c they don’t count in the comp formula. We lost Jones, but someone like the Bears’ Eddie Goldman or the Vikings M.Pierce could be a significantly cheaper vet replacements that won’t hurt our comp picks (assuming we get any).

And what is up with these WRs contracts? C.Kirk’s deal is nuts. Gallup’s deal looked too big until these started coming down the pipe. C.Wilson and even DJ Chark got surprising money. It seems to happen every couple of years, as I remember M.Jones got a ridiculous contract, then teams got into a bidding war over Kenny Golliday, etc.
Yep, no way we'd pay these WR's near $20M/year.

These guys aren't even the 'elite' NFL WR's, so why so much?