• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who should USC go after as their next HC?

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no matter who the coach is I would like to see a little more play book expansion...yeah usc has a deep tradition of pro style offense. not saying completely abandon that but kind of incorporate more different looks. having a mobile qb seems to be where its at...look at how horrible the Oakland raiders are but with Terrell pryor in there able to scramble and buy time to throw he makes a difference.

No need to look anywhere other than the BCS champions.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No need to look anywhere other than the BCS champions.

yeah maybe so...but also so much gets made of 7 championships from sec....not all were traditional type offenses....auburn, florida. etc

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cliff Kingsbury

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all have our preferences. I prefer hard hitting D more than anything, give me a coach who thinks along those lines and runs a pro style offense and I'd be very happy.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About the only thing similar to Oregon and UW is they run their offense at an uptempo pace which involves calling a lot of the plays in using those big cards with symbols on them.

But our offensives schemes are very, very different. UW runs a very Sarkish pro-style offense, but it's evolved into a hybrid system that involves spread concepts, power, and air raid. There is still a balance of pass and run.

Oregon under Kelly, and continuing under Helfrich, run a "motion spread" style. Very heavy on the run, but designed to make defenses constantly have to adapt to different gap schemes and make very fast decisions on playing the safeties deep or calling up 1 or both to stack the box against the run.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironbreaker y'all are running the same offense now, just not as effectively as Oregon!

And I say that with all due respect. I am very, very impressed with Washington this season. And obviously they smashed my Broncos as well.

You aren't really that football illiterate are you?

The no huddle uptempo is not an offensive type, it's a play style. Do you even fathom the difference? There are lots of teams nationally running uptempo with all sorts of types. Hell we have at least 3-4 different types running it in the Pac alone. Arizona runs something close to the same type as Oregon only they really don't have the athletes to do it justice.

Oregon runs the read zone and focuses on speed and running. UW runs the pro set and focuses on more of a spread offense with balance running game that looks to exploit match ups while Oregon just looks to wear you out and dare you to stop their running every down 80+ times in a row. Just when you think you have their running game down they throw down field and laugh at you loading the box. How are those two the same? :wtf2:

Thank god Stanford isn't going uptempo because the Power I at full speed with their athletes would be mind blowing.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all have our preferences. I prefer hard hitting D more than anything, give me a coach who thinks along those lines and runs a pro style offense and I'd be very happy.

You mean like James did?

I really wish the Pac would attract more defensive minds like James and maybe even Carroll. I think a lot of people forget James was all about the defense.

BeaverShaver

Blocked, Ignored, and Hated in equal parts (12)
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean like James did?

I really wish the Pac would attract more defensive minds like James and maybe even Carroll. I think a lot of people forget James was all about the defense.

Mora is along that line, and lets not forget how many Husky fans were begging for Mora as the coach. But that type of coach just doesn't make it in the Pac anymore. Not shooting down your comment, because I actually agree with you.

I too actually love watching a great defense. But just look around the NCAA and even the new trend in the NFL. The best and most athletic players are being recruited for offense. And the only way to keep them happy is to play fast and spread the rock. I think this trend continues, and you see more and more up-tempo and more and more focus on the Offense.

Take a look over the past 5-6 years and you can actually notice a huge shift in how kids are recruited even. There are more 4 and 5 star "Athletes" committing to play offense then ever before.

BeaverShaver

Blocked, Ignored, and Hated in equal parts (12)
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban says he is going to it next season.

Moving to the up tempo style is almost a necessity at this point in the NCAA. This is what kids want. Its what they have on their XBOX and PS3 and its what their High Schools are converting to as well. Even in the south.

Think about it, what do kids want? They want everything now, and fast. Anyone on this forum with a teenager knows this to be true. And flashy clothes (uniforms) don't hurt either....Why would it be different on the gridiron....lol

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carroll was a defensive first coach and his teams found success not that long ago. Being a defensive HC doesn't mean you can't also have an outstanding offense. A quality HC has both, but if you want to separate from the rest outside of the SEC build a killer defense. That hasn't gone out of style and I hope it never does.

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carroll was a defensive first coach and his teams found success not that long ago. Being a defensive HC doesn't mean you can't also have an outstanding offense. A quality HC has both, but if you want to separate from the rest outside of the SEC build a killer defense. That hasn't gone out of style and I hope it never does.

IDK, seems like we gave our D the night off over the weekend...

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Arent you all forgetting about Stanford. Their coaches come from the offensive side of the ball, but their success is based on the defense. They brought the 46 defense back. They pound the football. I really do not think the system is that important. The execution of the system is the important thing.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think defense was great under Carroll. The year they shut down Adrian Peterson yes pretty good. But other years average really. In rose bowl vs Texas kinda had no pass rush at all.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry Fedora. Please take him. We'll give him to you for free and even pay for his plane ride to LA!

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as they don't swoop in on Jack Del Rio, I couldn't care less

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did not leave for Auburn, Ole Miss, UK, and every other job brought to him. You think USC is such a great job that is fine. The answer to your question is that Jimbo will not leave FSU except for an SEC big Gig. Why would he leave a program he is building with the talent he has, talent coming in, new facilities that HE got built? Makes absolutely no sense. Then there is the one thing that you and even the SEC teams forget. His VERY large ties with the Bowden family and Tallahassee.

His asking for an extension actually was not about more money, but guaranteed LONGER contract. Big key difference. Jimbo is staying at FSU no matter what you think because he has been down this road before and not left. Why would he leave for USC who is still under sanctions and he has ZERO chance of accomplishing anything?
-
Now you see my pt. You mentioned in your earlier post that he turned down the SEC. I was simply pting out he was not offered an elite job in the SEC, in essence burning down your straw man. I have no idea if he would leave. My assertion was simply that 2 elite jobs are opening and people should give Jimbo a call, because he has yet to say no to an elite job opening. No need to get defensive