• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game #7 Chicago Bears vs NE Patriots Monday 10/24/2022 8:15 PM ESPN

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears and Justin Fields invade Foxboro for a Monday night game.

Seems the staff isn't happy with the 2-4 Bears.

Alex Shapiro
Fri, October 14, 2022 at 5:59 PM·3 min read

In this article:

• Chicago Bears

Chicago Bears
    Oct 24, 8:15 PMvsNE

• Matt Eberflus

Matt Eberflus
    American football coach

Bears to re-evaluate every player before next game originally appeared on NBC Sports Chicago
The Bears have some serious self-scouting to do. Six games into the season, they sit at 2-4. At times they’ve looked good, both on offense and defense. Other times they’ve looked awful, again on offense and defense. With 10 days between games, Matt Eberflus and the rest of the coaching staff will take advantage of the mini bye week to do extra evaluations to see what’s been working, what hasn’t been working and what changes the team needs to make to give themselves a better chance of winning on a weekly basis moving forward.

“We need to look at each individual guy,” Eberflus said. “We’re spending time during this mini bye to evaluate each guy first. We come up with three things they’re doing well right now and three things they need to improve on, and the plan for each guy fundamentally to improve on that. That’s a very important piece for us to grow as a football team.
“We’re gonna look at the lineups, where people are, are we putting guys in a position to succeed. Is there anything that can create competition at any position on the football team? That’s healthy for us, to be able to do that going forward.”
It’s serious talk from the head coach about some possible big moves, not just minor tweaks. Eberflus wouldn’t say if any specific player was on thin ice, like Braxton Jones at left tackle or Velus Jones Jr. at punt returner, instead reiterating that the coaches would look at every single player at every single position. It didn’t sound like typical coach speak, either. Eberflus sounded like a man who knew the Bears weren’t doing enough to win, and needed some changes on the field. Those changes may not be limited to personnel decisions, either.
“Then look at scheme, look at offensive scheme, defensive scheme and special teams, the exact same thing,” Eberflus said. “Things we’re doing well, things we need to improve on and how we’re gonna go about that.”
We’ve seen examples of some of those changes already. Alan Williams blitzed the Commanders much more often than the Bears usually do on Thursday night, and the change of philosophy paid off on critical downs. Eberflus said part of the decision to bring extra rushers was part of the specific gameplan to stymie the Commanders, but said part of that decision was because of the Bears’ ineffective pass rush against the Vikings.
“We got together, we didn’t play very good on third down the week before,” Eberflus said. “We looked at what we were doing and, you know, you put your heads together and you come up with a plan.”
The Bears have a 24-hour rule they put in place for both wins and losses, meaning they want players to sit with either the joy of a win, or the disappointment of a defeat for just one day. After that, coaches want the players to reset their minds and start looking forward again. The especially heartbreaking loss on Thursday, coupled with some tough, honest criticism could be the biggest challenge for the Bears’ young players and that 24-hour rule, though. So the Bears want to guard against letting this one loss snowball into more bad games with how they communicate to the players over the mini bye.
“We have to do a good job of keeping everything in perspective, that we are growing, we are getting better and really working on with each individual player,” Eberflus said. “That’s our whole part of the plan. This is what you’re doing well, this is what you need to improve on, here’s our plan to get that done. I think when you have a mindset of growth that way, you will improve, and you will get better. Then our units will function better, more consistently.
“We have a young football team and we’re gonna figure out how to finish and how to close games. We’ll have a plan for that.”

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are they not happy with 2-4? Hell most people expected them to be 0-6... I'd say the coaching staff has done one hell of a job to actually get 2 wins... surrounding a top 5th overall draft pick QB with absolutely zero talent.

The Bears are like Lori "The Lighthead" Lightfoot. Completely clueless and one of those people put in charge where everyone with an IQ above 90.. actually make that 85, just sits back a few years later and is like, "Why?"

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones or Zappe? Question of the week

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a limp? Jones before Zappe unless there's a limp or any limitation in his hitch. Otherwise it's still Zappe.

Zappe until Jones is 110%.
You may both be correct, but it's seems to me Zappe is very effective in this offense and Mac seemed to be struggeling with it prior to the injury.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may both be correct, but it's seems to me Zappe is very effective in this offense and Mac seemed to be struggeling with it prior to the injury.
From what I've read... the offense is completely different for Zappe. Jones l3d the league or close to in downfield throws. Zappe is short stuff.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole team was struggling. If he struggles again we all now know Zappe is viable.

Two young studs isn't a bad thing. Thinking either should be entitled to anything (like a label of QB1) IS a bad thing.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole team was struggling. If he struggles again we all now know Zappe is viable.

Two young studs isn't a bad thing. Thinking either should be entitled to anything (like a label of QB1) IS a bad thing.
NFL teams always identify the #1 QB this isn't college. I don't think it's about entitlement it's about who is operating better and to date that is Zappe.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL teams always identify the #1 QB this isn't college. I don't think it's about entitlement it's about who is operating better and to date that is Zappe.
Identifying is about next week's game plan and whoever the plan is best designed for ( and get's the experience practicing for that plan) has the best chance to win that game. That's not the same as thinking Mac or Baily is entitled to get the permanent label of QB1.

Over a short amount of time the issue will resolve itself and the team will trade the other for a first rounder (unless it resolves itself by one sucking). At this point both have put enough tape together to lead us to believe they can be a starting caliber QB in the NFL. "Lead us to believe" and will absolutely be are not the same.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Identifying is about next week's game plan and whoever the plan is best designed for ( and get's the experience practicing for that plan) has the best chance to win that game. That's not the same as thinking Mac or Baily is entitled to get the permanent label of QB1.

Over a short amount of time the issue will resolve itself and the team will trade the other for a first rounder (unless it resolves itself by one sucking). At this point both have put enough tape together to lead us to believe they can be a starting caliber QB in the NFL. "Lead us to believe" and will absolutely be are not the same.
I really have no idea what you are trying to sell here.

Team every team in the NFL clearly identify s who their #1 QB is. That is done on purpose. Only difference here is they are both new to the league and Zappe has shown he can play in this league. Going into the season Mac was identified as the clear cut #1 QB, he got injured and it's caused speculation but he was clearly tagged the #1 QB.

Do you not feel the Chiefs, Bills, Packers all have clearly identified who the #1 QB is?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whomever doesn't get the starter's job is going to be a prime target of teams who don't have a starti8ng QB.

You can take that to the bank.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whomever doesn't get the starter's job is going to be a prime target of teams who don't have a starti8ng QB.

You can take that to the bank.
But can we take it to the credit union?

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB wont name a starter till next saturday or sunday:suds:

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really have no idea what you are trying to sell here.

Team every team in the NFL clearly identify s who their #1 QB is. That is done on purpose. Only difference here is they are both new to the league and Zappe has shown he can play in this league. Going into the season Mac was identified as the clear cut #1 QB, he got injured and it's caused speculation but he was clearly tagged the #1 QB.

Do you not feel the Chiefs, Bills, Packers all have clearly identified who the #1 QB is?
As usual, you read every post as you choose. I said no player is "entitled" to the label. Chiefs, Bills, and Packers are no different. Their QB1s are 100% clear due to the extreme difference in ability between their top guy and anyone else.

Yes, I wrote identifying is about next week's planning, but I meant game planning period, which takes tons of practice time and is advantageous to have the guys expected to be starters getting more/most of the plan specific practice time.

Again the emphasis is Mac is not entitled to be QB1.