• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency 2022

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your opinion of Patterson is fine but there are only so many balls to go around? Even now Deebo will need to share with Aiyuk and Kittle, because Lance can throw it to more spots further downfield. Deebo handles the shorter stuff (WR/RB) and so would Patterson. Wouldn't Patterson just further reduce Deebo's touches?

My opinion is we're better off adding a WR who can work downfield in the event Aiyuk gets injured. Someone like Valdez-Scantilling, Sherfield (re-sign him), or at least draft a 'speed' WR.

Ok, i guess DJ Reed is fine, we do need help there and why not ge experienced help.

Deebo has shown a history of injuries and his style of play is as physical as they come. Getting a guy like Patterson does take some of Deebo's touches but also preserves him throughout the season. This draft is chalk full of speedsters. Guys who have some of Deebo's versatility and can return kicks/punts don't grow on trees. Even if Deebo has most of the touches, having a guy who can spell him AND be a part of ST is a huge bonus. I'm tired of watching our starting WRs return kicks/punts and having to reach for my heart meds.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB DJ Reed signs with the Jets. 3yr, 33M.

The signing makes some sense since he played under Saleh for 2 years in SF. Not bad for a late rd pick we cut loose after 2 years (we couldn't find a fit for him) and seattle picked up off the scrap heap.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Deebo has shown a history of injuries and his style of play is as physical as they come. Getting a guy like Patterson does take some of Deebo's touches but also preserves him throughout the season. This draft is chalk full of speedsters. Guys who have some of Deebo's versatility and can return kicks/punts don't grow on trees. Even if Deebo has most of the touches, having a guy who can spell him AND be a part of ST is a huge bonus. I'm tired of watching our starting WRs return kicks/punts and having to reach for my heart meds.
haaaa

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bucs trade a 5th to NE for RG Shaq Mason. The Bucs are also on the hook for the 16M Mason is due over the next 2 years. Cap hits of 7.3M this year and 8.5 next year. Why aren't we doing a deal like this? Is the FO counting that heavily on Banks? We'd better have a helluva backup plan.

On the subject of the Oline, anyone else think we should be looking at C JC Tretter, the browns just cut him. Mack is reportedly mulling whether to retire (though Lynch is 'confident' he'll play).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bucs trade a 5th to NE for RG Shaq Mason. The Bucs are also on the hook for the 16M Mason is due over the next 2 years. Cap hits of 7.3M this year and 8.5 next year. Why aren't we doing a deal like this? Is the FO counting that heavily on Banks? We'd better have a helluva backup plan.

On the subject of the Oline, anyone else think we should be looking at C JC Tretter, the browns just cut him. Mack is reportedly mulling whether to retire (though Lynch is 'confident' he'll play).
This is the issue when your drafts don't pan out, you HAVE to look for FAs and over pay. That's the nature of free agency, you have to overpay.

If Aaron Banks was a 6th rounder then we can't expect a starter, but as a 2nd rounder he's expected to fill a starting OG spot NOW. He's going to get every opportunity to win a starting spot and hopefully, he plugs the left spot.

I recall seeing an article where Lynch said Mack is leaning to play. But pont taken, this is where a draft pick should go to a future C. Not saying it needs to be the 2nd or even 3rd rounder, but draft someone with the potential next season.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the issue when your drafts don't pan out, you HAVE to look for FAs and over pay. That's the nature of free agency, you have to overpay.

If Aaron Banks was a 6th rounder then we can't expect a starter, but as a 2nd rounder he's expected to fill a starting OG spot NOW. He's going to get every opportunity to win a starting spot and hopefully, he plugs the left spot.
Tampa isn't overpaying for Mason. There's a good argument that mason is underpaid and getting him for a 5th rd pick is a steal.

As for banks, they'll give him every chance b/c we have to. I think we could see Moore tried at OG too.
I recall seeing an article where Lynch said Mack is leaning to play. But pont taken, this is where a draft pick should go to a future C. Not saying it needs to be the 2nd or even 3rd rounder, but draft someone with the potential next season.
This is where our drafted center can hopefully play some OG this season b/c Mack is just about done. I have to wonder though about Shanny--as he seems to prefer a veteran center.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I expected the 49ers to re-structure as much as 4 contracts, but Ford wasn't one of them. I'm surprised they even re-structured Ford?!

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly we're interested in Watson. It will be interesting to see what Houston gets for him. If Jimmy's trade value is hurt because teams know we will likely release him eventually; then the same could be said of Watson. Houston is not carrying that contract this year.

What hurts Houston even more is Watson has a no trade clause. Houston if they want anything can only trade him where he wants to go. They can't really create a bidding war unless Watson lets them, and considering that relationship why would he?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Houston has approved trade packages from the Browns, Panthers, and Saints--some say the Falcons too. And it's up to Watson to pick which team he wants. Saints are reportedly the front-runners.

The fact that the Browns are in that mix and Baker is playing on his 5th year option, means he's headed out the door. Hell, i wouldn't be surprised to see them trade mayfield whether they land Watson or not.

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As expected, two other contracts were restructured. This makes 3 in total and appears to be enough unless.......they try to extend BOTH Deebo and Bosa?

The 49ers have taken care of some important football business before the start of the new league year on Wednesday.

Per Field Yates of ESPN, San Francisco has created $18.756 million in cap space for 2022 by restructuring the contracts of tight end George Kittle and defensive tackle Arik Armstead.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So, Houston has approved trade packages from the Browns, Panthers, and Saints--some say the Falcons too. And it's up to Watson to pick which team he wants. Saints are reportedly the front-runners.

The fact that the Browns are in that mix and Baker is playing on his 5th year option, means he's headed out the door. Hell, i wouldn't be surprised to see them trade mayfield whether they land Watson or not.
IMO there will still be enough teams looking to upgrade at QB. IF the Saints sign Watson, then there is still Indy, Panthers, and wouldn't Houston be added to the list?

Their offers won't increase much if at all, but still think we might get something like two 3rds, one in 2023?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO there will still be enough teams looking to upgrade at QB. IF the Saints sign Watson, then there is still Indy, Panthers, and wouldn't Houston be added to the list?

Their offers won't increase much if at all, but still think we might get something like two 3rds, one in 2023?
It's my understanding that Houston plans to go with Mills as they start their rebuild. His play last year was better than expected.

As for Jimmy, I still think we should be able to get at least a 3rd for him, maybe even 2 #3s or I'd take a 2 next year. Gotta say that in light of the doom n gloom "9ers overplayed their hand" reports I've seen, Lynch will look like a fool if he can't get at least a 3rd for Jimmy.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tretter any good? I haven't watched much Browns football.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's my understanding that Houston plans to go with Mills as they start their rebuild. His play last year was better than expected.

As for Jimmy, I still think we should be able to get at least a 3rd for him, maybe even 2 #3s or I'd take a 2 next year. Gotta say that in light of the doom n gloom "9ers overplayed their hand" reports I've seen, Lynch will look like a fool if he can't get at least a 3rd for Jimmy.
Ok, if Houston goes with Mills, there will still be Indy and Carolina.

Again, not implying we'll get a great trade by wating, but trading him earlier wouldn't have meant a better deal. If anything, waiting like this has some chance of getting a late pick thrown in. So not surprised a Writer throws out this kind on attention grabbing headline, but lets not get excited over it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tretter any good? I haven't watched much Browns football.
There are some headlines saying the Bengals will pursue, and this makes perfect sense.

I saw an article where Lynch said Mack is leaning to play, if true we should draft a future Center.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was climbing the walls last draft, begging 49er brass to draft Creed Humphrey to start at RG and learn from Mack, then slide over and take over C when Mack retires. He dropped bc he snaps the ball left handed.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was climbing the walls last draft, begging 49er brass to draft Creed Humphrey to start at RG and learn from Mack, then slide over and take over C when Mack retires. He dropped bc he snaps the ball left handed.
I was thinking the same thing last draft, not necessarily Creed but there were others.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking the same thing last draft, not necessarily Creed but there were others.
Creed tested off the charts to go along with his tape. I thought it was crazy that he dropped as far as he did.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Creed tested off the charts to go along with his tape. I thought it was crazy that he dropped as far as he did.
I meant to say "not only Creed, there were others".

I did think that Center would play a year at OG to learn the NFL and 49er line calls. MAYBE, Creed could only play Center so they passed?

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Niners suck at drafting interior O-Linemen and CB's