• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency 2022

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say this is way too high but thats the way it is. Can't blame Key for getting the most he can, ala Hyder..
Hopefully, Key has a down year and we get him back the following season, just like Hyder.

For the nonstar players that aren't getting the big upfront bonuses or serious guaranteed money, you've got to make what make money you can when you can. That goes double for RBs. They have such a short shelf life, they gotta cash in and use all your leverage if you ever get it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hopefully, Key has a down year and we get him back the following season, just like Hyder.

For the nonstar players that aren't getting the big upfront bonuses or serious guaranteed money, you've got to make what make money you can when you can. That goes double for RBs. They have such a short shelf life, they gotta cash in and use all your leverage if you ever get it.
Haaa, yep ya neva know?!

Agree players have to get what they can from stars down to fringe roster makers. They have a short shelf life so this needs to take care of them for years after football. Not to mention the potential injuries they take with them.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Niners exercised the option in Juice's contract, so that he is now under contract from 2023 through 2025. He'll be owed 3.78M in 2022 and is fully guaranteed 1.25M in 2023.

Sounds good to me. The guy has made the PB the last 6 seasons, and last year he had 30 catches for 296yds n 1 TD and 8 carries for 22yds, and 1 TD.

Despite all those stats, I think we really under-use him. Defenses these days just don't know how to cover a FB out of the backfield b/c a FB is rare.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting Monday at 4pm EST, any unsigned FA will no longer count against the comp formula. So we are likely to see another burst of FA signings in the league even though most of the FA money is gone.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Niners exercised the option in Juice's contract, so that he is now under contract from 2023 through 2025. He'll be owed 3.78M in 2022 and is fully guaranteed 1.25M in 2023.

Sounds good to me. The guy has made the PB the last 6 seasons, and last year he had 30 catches for 296yds n 1 TD and 8 carries for 22yds, and 1 TD.

Despite all those stats, I think we really under-use him. Defenses these days just don't know how to cover a FB out of the backfield b/c a FB is rare.
If it was 30 catches in the regular season, thats almost right for me. IMO a few looks per game to keep the D on its heels.

We want Kittle and Aiyuk to get a few more looks for sure. In Aiyuks case we'll see how the O-line comes together, because he should get more looks downfield.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re-signed Verrett today to a one-year "earn it" deal. Hope he can make a full recovery, although being over 30 and having multiple big injuries over a career is hard to come back from. If he's close to the player he was before, win-win. At a minimum, he'll be good veteran presence in training camp that will push the younger dudes.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Re-signed Verrett today to a one-year "earn it" deal. Hope he can make a full recovery, although being over 30 and having multiple big injuries over a career is hard to come back from. If he's close to the player he was before, win-win. At a minimum, he'll be good veteran presence in training camp that will push the younger dudes.
This is a tough one because of the high odds he gets hurt during the season. By that time we'd have cut someone who might have a long term role as a back-up or 'versatility' in the secondary.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. As long as we didn't pay him much more than the minimum, or anything more was a per game roster bonus, than anything he gives us is gravy. We did the smart thing this offseason and acted as though verrett wasn't going to be on the team--signed Ward and drafted 2 CBs--so now, it's a low risk, high reward move. to bring him in while expecting nothing out of him.

This is a tough one because of the high odds he gets hurt during the season. By that time we'd have cut someone who might have a long term role as a back-up or 'versatility' in the secondary.
I disagree.

Ward, Moseley, A.Thomas are all locks. So, let's assume Verrett is neither cut nor injured after week 1 and he makes the team. That's 4 CBs and we'll likely keep 6. That means 2 out of Lenoir, Womack, Castro-Fields, D.Johnson, D.Dennard, K.Hollman, and T.Hawkins.

D.Johnson and Dennard were picked up during the season. We don't ever even sign them if Verrett doesn't hurt and it's not like the team is counting on them to be contributors in the future--more like emergency fill-ins. Johnson in particular is the NFL version of a day laborer, but for some reason, our FO loves the guy and yet he keeps being available at various times throughout the year b/c no one else signed him.

Hawkins and Hollman are nobodies. There's a good chance either or both will make it to the PS if we actually want them.

That means it really comes down to Lenoir, Womack, and Castro. I think Castro's potential keeps him on the team, so in this early opinion, it'll come down to one of either Lenoir or Womack. If the team was happy with Lenoir, I don't think we draft Womack. So, that looks like a winner take all...unless there is some other injury at CB.

I'd much rather have Verrett than the loser of the Lenoir/Womack fight, and if Verrett does get hurt (more like when he gets hurt), we still have a good chance that D.Johnson or D.Dennard (or both) will be unsigned free agents to reenact their emergency fill-in roles if necessary.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree. As long as we didn't pay him much more than the minimum, or anything more was a per game roster bonus, than anything he gives us is gravy. We did the smart thing this offseason and acted as though verrett wasn't going to be on the team--signed Ward and drafted 2 CBs--so now, it's a low risk, high reward move. to bring him in while expecting nothing out of him.

I disagree.

Ward, Moseley, A.Thomas are all locks. So, let's assume Verrett is neither cut nor injured after week 1 and he makes the team. That's 4 CBs and we'll likely keep 6. That means 2 out of Lenoir, Womack, Castro-Fields, D.Johnson, D.Dennard, K.Hollman, and T.Hawkins.

D.Johnson and Dennard were picked up during the season. We don't ever even sign them if Verrett doesn't hurt and it's not like the team is counting on them to be contributors in the future--more like emergency fill-ins. Johnson in particular is the NFL version of a day laborer, but for some reason, our FO loves the guy and yet he keeps being available at various times throughout the year b/c no one else signed him.

Hawkins and Hollman are nobodies. There's a good chance either or both will make it to the PS if we actually want them.

That means it really comes down to Lenoir, Womack, and Castro. I think Castro's potential keeps him on the team, so in this early opinion, it'll come down to one of either Lenoir or Womack. If the team was happy with Lenoir, I don't think we draft Womack. So, that looks like a winner take all...unless there is some other injury at CB.

I'd much rather have Verrett than the loser of the Lenoir/Womack fight, and if Verrett does get hurt (more like when he gets hurt), we still have a good chance that D.Johnson or D.Dennard (or both) will be unsigned free agents to reenact their emergency fill-in roles if necessary.
That's why i said its a 'tough one', there is an argument to keep him, but even you had to admit its when he gets hurt. I'll say he's not going to reach game 10 meaning miss the play-offs too. But again, you might argue his good play is really needed the first 4-5 games, i could buy that argument but this is a limited picture, not the season.

I'd keep Lenoir because he'd be available all season as a good back-up to either NB or CB. We've seen this before at CB, multiple injuries where we dip into players off the street. Yes, some 'street' CBs will be available but during the season its lower quality than Lenoir. We'll end up with a 'Josh Norman' for the outside should there be multiple injuries.

Anyway, i recall a recent Youtube saying D. Johnson is valuable because he filled in at CB, NB, and Safety. He played all 3 of these positions just last season. That person felt D Johnson could very well make the team again, and this person wasn't just any ol vlogger. I want to say Dave Lombardi but not 100% sure?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why i said its a 'tough one', there is an argument to keep him, but even you had to admit its when he gets hurt. I'll say he's not going to reach game 10 meaning miss the play-offs too. But again, you might argue his good play is really needed the first 4-5 games, i could buy that argument but this is a limited picture, not the season.

I'd keep Lenoir because he'd be available all season as a good back-up to either NB or CB. We've seen this before at CB, multiple injuries where we dip into players off the street. Yes, some 'street' CBs will be available but during the season its lower quality than Lenoir. We'll end up with a 'Josh Norman' for the outside should there be multiple injuries.
It's probably an academic exercise since it's a long shot that Verrett makes it out of TC healthy anyway.
Anyway, i recall a recent Youtube saying D. Johnson is valuable because he filled in at CB, NB, and Safety. He played all 3 of these positions just last season. That person felt D Johnson could very well make the team again, and this person wasn't just any ol vlogger. I want to say Dave Lombardi but not 100% sure?
I don't know what it is, but D.Johnson seems to be a FO favorite--not to be on the opening day roster, just ot be on the team at some point during the season b/c we seem to keep signing him as a street FA. Maybe it is his versatility.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's probably an academic exercise since it's a long shot that Verrett makes it out of TC healthy anyway.

I don't know what it is, but D.Johnson seems to be a FO favorite--not to be on the opening day roster, just ot be on the team at some point during the season b/c we seem to keep signing him as a street FA. Maybe it is his versatility.
True, signing Verret doesn't mean he makes the team. He's not young anymore and an outside CB coming off an ACL.

Yes, D Johnson is a coaching favorite because they like his versatility. Secondarily, they like his availability. Like most 49er fans, we keep getting surprised he's even around?!

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering that FAs no longer count against the comp formula, I wonder if we'll be signing anyone else of note. Honestly, who really are the best remaining FAs?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Considering that FAs no longer count against the comp formula, I wonder if we'll be signing anyone else of note. Honestly, who really are the best remaining FAs?
For me, don't see us signing anymore FA's. We have to work out Deebo's contract which is likely higher than they 'budgeted'.

I see articles about Julio Jones but don't feel its worth it. JC Tretter is shown a lot and i could see why but still don't see us signing him. Our Center and SS positions aren't solid but good enough where we won't spend on a FA.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does the same count for extensions with current players under contract? Like, extensions don't count against the cap until the next critical cap date? If so, it might make sense given Deebo's "social media" reversal on the team yesterday. Like maybe they are talking numbers now.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Does the same count for extensions with current players under contract? Like, extensions don't count against the cap until the next critical cap date? If so, it might make sense given Deebo's "social media" reversal on the team yesterday. Like maybe they are talking numbers now.
i think they count the highest 51 at this time so Deebo's would surely be one of the 51. He won't get $25M this season but still high enough to count.

Verrett is at vet minimum and he's tied for 51st, thats why they say he "doesn't us any money."

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Extending or resigning your own players doesn't count in the comp formula.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, don't see us signing anymore FA's. We have to work out Deebo's contract which is likely higher than they 'budgeted'.

I see articles about Julio Jones but don't feel its worth it. JC Tretter is shown a lot and i could see why but still don't see us signing him. Our Center and SS positions aren't solid but good enough where we won't spend on a FA.
I have to wonder if Deebo's suddenly following the team again on IG is a product of seeing AJ Brown's contract and seeing that he wasn't being disrespected by a low ball offer.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have to wonder if Deebo's suddenly following the team again on IG is a product of seeing AJ Brown's contract and seeing that he wasn't being disrespected by a low ball offer.
No doubt AJ Brown's contract makes a difference.

It made sense to TRY and get a HUGE deal before AJ Brown and DK Metcalf, so can't blame him (and his Agent) for trying. But don't think this social media games work for players, it only gets the fan base all worked up. So if these games don't work in their favor, why do it?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else think it's odd that Tartt is still an unsigned FA? It's pretty clear that the Niners are going to go with Hufanga at SS, so it's unlikely we'd bring him back barring an injury, but still...

Training camps are going to open in 6 weeks and the guy is still unemployed. Does he want too much money or is he just not all that good?