• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who are the NFL's storied franchises?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Storied is a vague subject, something has to reflect the use of the word, it's just confusing.

I intentionally wanted this thread discussion to be open-ended. Use whatever criteria you like. Feel free to define storied.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even close to the same thing, never left the market. I know it was in jest. But not the same

Yup. For me the test is did the team move away from its loyal fanbase? Going from San Francisco to Santa Clara is not moving away. Hell, most of us don't even live in San Francisco. Can't afford it. LOL.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. For me the test is did the team move away from its loyal fanbase? Going from San Francisco to Santa Clara is not moving away. Hell, most of us don't even live in San Francisco. Can't afford it. LOL.
Cowboys moved from Irving to Arlington. Stayed in same TV market. It happens, but ya not the same as moving 1,500 miles and 2 time zones.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live nowhere close to the Hall of Fame, as I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area, but maybe there's something about my early days as a sports fan that makes me appreciate history. It was the mid 1980's. I was 7 years old and decided for some reason to start following sports. Maybe I felt like it was what men were supposed to do. I decided I had to follow local teams just because, so I chose Niners, Giants, and Warriors.

One day, I was in a thrift store with my mom when I found this old book that was about football. It happened to be a book celebrating the NFL's 50th anniversary. It must've been published in 1970, so the Browns' glory days were still pretty fresh and the Super Bowl was still new. There were a lot of pages devoted to the Browns. The book had a lot of cool photographs and illustrations of NFL greats such as Jim Brown, Johnny Unitas, Emlen Tunnell, Jim Thorpe, Curly Lambeau, George Halas, and many others. I spent a lot of time reading and re-reading that book. It feels like I did so every day back then when I was a little kid. The stories in that book are probably a big reason why I came to love the NFL. Maybe that is why I still think of the old days of the NFL when maybe many others don't.

I think to know the entire history of the game leads to a better appreciation of it. And while the game has evolved the pre Super Bowl era players/coaches should never be forgotten.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I intentionally wanted this thread discussion to be open-ended. Use whatever criteria you like. Feel free to define storied.
Basically, "are there a lot of cool stories about your franchise?" That's why I think being a round a long time, participating in a lot of memorable games, and having lots of memorable players is a part of it.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically, "are there a lot of cool stories about your franchise?" That's why I think being a round a long time, participating in a lot of memorable games, and having lots of memorable players is a part of it.

Yeah, you're right. The Ravens have been fantastically successful, but they need some more years to become storied.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some pretty darn good franchises not mentioned here, can be a little subjective at best
BUT
Thanks for all the attention for a team that's won two (2) playoff games in the last 26 years

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yours is in the SB era, his is all-time
Only a nine year difference for all those teams and the AFL playoffs consisted of 1 game.

Hell, may as well bring the chargers into the convo, they played in 5 AFL championship games.

Last edited:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, if may as well bring the chargers into the convo, they played in 5 AFL championship games.
B I N G O

and my redskin friends want to point out a head coach who won 3 championships with 3 different QB's and the leather helmet days.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams wins another one maybe they are in the conversation. Until then we has 2 and we just somewhere close but with some dam good teams. Warner and Faulk were fun to watch
You got SB 35 and SB 56, I'm putting big money on the Rams for SB 77.
If I live that long!

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Storied franchises don’t move around.
That a bunch of BS if I ever heard one.

So, by your criteria, the Lakers are not a storied franchise in the NBA because they moved from Minneapolis to LA.

The only rule that should be considered when it comes to storied franchises in any sport is this: can the history of the game be told without including said franchise.

You cannot tell the story of the NFL without the Rams ( whether it is Cleveland/StL/LA ).

Rams started the passing game as we know it back in the 50’s when much of the game was about running the football and defense.

Can’t tell the story of the NFL without guys like Deacon Jones, Olsen, Youngblood, Slater, Warner and the Greatest Show on Turf, etc.

Doesn’t matter if the team has moved or not. It’s still part of the history of the NFL.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers, cowboys, 49ers, patriots, Steelers, Bills, jets, giants, dolphins

Jets are there solely because of the 1969 super bowl. Without that(even if you believe in conspiracies) the AFL would not have joined the nfl as soon.

Bills are there because they have done something nobody else has ever done. 4 straight SB appearances. And losses.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers, cowboys, 49ers, patriots, Steelers, Bills, jets, giants, dolphins

Jets are there solely because of the 1969 super bowl. Without that(even if you believe in conspiracies) the AFL would not have joined the nfl as soon.

Bills are there because they have done something nobody else has ever done. 4 straight SB appearances. And losses.
The last 4..
Season 1 What GIF by Paramount+

TheLonestarDUCK

Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That a bunch of BS if I ever heard one.

So, by your criteria, the Lakers are not a storied franchise in the NBA because they moved from Minneapolis to LA.

The only rule that should be considered when it comes to storied franchises in any sport is this: can the history of the game be told without including said franchise.

You cannot tell the story of the NFL without the Rams ( whether it is Cleveland/StL/LA ).

Rams started the passing game as we know it back in the 50’s when much of the game was about running the football and defense.

Can’t tell the story of the NFL without guys like Deacon Jones, Olsen, Youngblood, Slater, Warner and the Greatest Show on Turf, etc.

Doesn’t matter if the team has moved or not. It’s still part of the history of the NFL.
You notice you are the only one claiming the Rams belong in the elitist group?

The top 5 storied franchises are: Steelers, Pats, Packers, Cowboys & Niners. The rest of the list is just noise.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last 4..
Season 1 What GIF by Paramount+

Dolphins- only team to go undefeated

Bills only team ever to appear in 4 consecutive SBs

Jets- pushed the AFL and nfl merger. Sure it would have happened anyway. But this was a clear reason to do it. And guaranteed it.

Giants- that one is an obvious one. Probably too 5 most important history.

Hell, the patriots only became a top storied team in the past 20 years. Before that they would not be even close to a top 20 most storied franchise.

I did accidentally leave out the bears.

TheLonestarDUCK

Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, the patriots only became a top storied team in the past 20 years. Before that they would not be even close to a top 20 most storied franchise.
You know why? Cause they got to play the Jets, Dolphins & Bills 2 times every year.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fair enough, players in the HOF may be one and in that case. Green Bay, Chicago and New York certainly are storied by that criteria, I'd say the second tier of that may be an arbitrary opinion but San Fransisco Cleveland and Washington

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know why? Cause they got to play the Jets, Dolphins & Bills 2 times every year.
They had a better record outside of their div and still made it to 13 AFCG's and 9 SB's. The AFCS and NFCN weren't powerhouses either