• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who are the NFL's storied franchises?

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Main thing the Raiders having going for them is 5 SB appearances, 3 rings, and nearly 20 HOF'ers, all of them are modern era as far as the SB goes. Been pretty MIA the past 20 years. Pretty fascinating to see how they've tumbled down all time win percentage lists and what not since then.
The more senile Al Davis got, the worse the Raiders got other then a slight resurgence in the early 2000s with Gruden. And Marc Davis strikes me as a bit of a retard.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing the old Raiders always had was star power. Not always guys who were likeable but always stars. And until old Al started going off the rails, he was one of the best owners out there. Way ahead of his time in many respects.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing the old Raiders always had was star power. Not always guys who were likeable but always stars. And until old Al started going off the rails, he was one of the best owners out there. Way ahead of his time in many respects.
They would've continued to have star power if they didnt draft Robert Gallery and Jamarcus Russell. Literally the next pick in both cases with Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Main thing the Raiders having going for them is 5 SB appearances, 3 rings, and nearly 20 HOF'ers, all of them are modern era as far as the SB goes. Been pretty MIA the past 20 years. Pretty fascinating to see how they've tumbled down all time win percentage lists and what not since then.

And those sweet uniforms.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baltimore Colts, not Indianapolis? Am I correct?

I think of them as one entity. I think we have to because they kept the uniform and the name. It's not like the Ravens. It's like the Rams and Cardinals.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right. But you got it backwards.

You gotta take into consideration how old the league is, it didn't start in '66, first year of the "Super Bowl". I've always found it odd that teams like the Packers, Bears, Eagles and even the Lions get credit for winning titles before the term Super Bowl was coined by Lamar Hunt. But not the Browns.

Here's a quick comparison of the Browns & Bills.

Paul Brown > any Bills coach you wanna name

Jim Brown > any Bills player you wanna name

championships: Browns- 4 (only team in league history to win it all their first year in the NFL) / Bills- none

Paul Brown's coaching tree is unmatched- Shula, Noll, Walsh

Totally. When I think of football, the Browns are one of the first teams I think about because they are such a big part of football history. It doesn't matter to me that their glory days were long ago. It would be kind of like saying that George Washington isn't one of our most storied Presidents simply because he was from long ago.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would've continued to have star power if they didnt draft Robert Gallery and Jamarcus Russell. Literally the next pick in both cases with Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson.
Yep. Surprising too because they were always drafting WRs high under Al.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you need a combination of longevity, iconic players, memorable games, and titles.

I think we can eliminate most of the expansion-era teams with little to no argument:
Houston Texans (0/4 metrics)
Baltimore Ravens (2/4)
Jacksonville (0/4)
Carolina (0/4)
Tampa Bay (2/4)
Seattle (2/4)
Cincinnati (1/4)
New Orleans (2/4)
Atlanta (0/4)

And several of the Merger-era teams as well
Minnesota (2/4)
Buffalo (2/4)
Tennessee (1/4)
NY Jets (2/4)
San Diego (2/4)
*Cardinals (2/4 - *been around longer than anybody, but hardly any titles)

Teams that are no-brainers (4 or more SB wins):
Green Bay (all 4 metrics)
NY Giants (4/4)
Dallas (3/4)
Pittsburgh (4/4)
New England (3/4)
San Francisco (4/4)

Teams that need another couple of titles:
Chicago (4/4 metrics, but only 1 SB)
Miami (3/4, no longevity; and when was their last title?)
Denver (3/4, no longevity, a lot of title losses)
Detroit (3/4, who are the iconic players? Also, no SB-era titles)
Cleveland (4/4, but no SB-era titles)
Washington (4/4, might actually belong on the no-brainer list with another SB)
Philadelphia (4/4, only one SB-era title and 4 total)
LA/StL/LA Rams (4/4, hanging w/ Wash & Philly)
Balt/Indy Colts (4/4, similar to Philly/Wash/LA, need more SB's)
Kansas City (3/4 need more titles)
Raiders (3/4 need more/more recent titles)

That's my highly un-scientific opinion, chop it up however you like

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bulger got smoked later in his career. He’s probably in a nursing home somewhere. That’s about when Stan started to tank the team in STL
Yeah he got drafted before Brady in the same draft. Tom now sends him Depends and baby food

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally. When I think of football, the Browns are one of the first teams I think about because they are such a big part of football history. It doesn't matter to me that their glory days were long ago. It would be kind of like saying that George Washington isn't one of our most storied Presidents simply because he was from long ago.

I'm a fan of the total history of the NFL. Grew up about 30 minutes from the HOF. Been there so many times when I was younger lost count. It's a great place.

But like you said the Browns are a big part of the history of the league. That can't be disputed. The innovations Paul Brown created shaped the league into what it is today.

And if anyone wants to disagree with me about Paul Brown just take Bill Belichick's word then.

"He's the greatest coach in the history of professional football, clear and simple."

"Everything I do today, Paul Brown did."

"It all started with Paul Brown. He took football from being a sport to a profession."

Article from PFT (pro football talk)- Bill Belichick proclaims Paul Brown the greatest coach in pro football history (11/23/19)

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams are definitely one of the storied franchises.

They have won 4 titles ( 45, 51, 99 and 2021 ), been in 10 titles games/SB’s over.

Been in the playoffs every year decade, had some of the most iconic players to play the game ( some with iconic nicknames as well ie “Night Train”, “Crazy Legs” etc ).

Been in the playoffs in 31 seasons overall, overall record of 599-580-21. 134 pro-bowlers and 19 HOFers.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams are definitely one of the storied franchises.

They have won 4 titles ( 45, 51, 99 and 2021 ), been in 10 titles games/SB’s over.

Been in the playoffs every year decade, had some of the most iconic players to play the game ( some with iconic nicknames as well ie “Night Train”, “Crazy Legs” etc ).

Been in the playoffs in 31 seasons overall, overall record of 599-580-21. 134 pro-bowlers and 19 HOFers.
Storied franchises don’t move around.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a fan of the total history of the NFL. Grew up about 30 minutes from the HOF. Been there so many times when I was younger lost count. It's a great place.

But like you said the Browns are a big part of the history of the league. That can't be disputed. The innovations Paul Brown created shaped the league into what it is today.

And if anyone wants to disagree with me about Paul Brown just take Bill Belichick's word then.

"He's the greatest coach in the history of professional football, clear and simple."

"Everything I do today, Paul Brown did."

"It all started with Paul Brown. He took football from being a sport to a profession."

Article from PFT (pro football talk)- Bill Belichick proclaims Paul Brown the greatest coach in pro football history (11/23/19)

I live nowhere close to the Hall of Fame, as I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area, but maybe there's something about my early days as a sports fan that makes me appreciate history. It was the mid 1980's. I was 7 years old and decided for some reason to start following sports. Maybe I felt like it was what men were supposed to do. I decided I had to follow local teams just because, so I chose Niners, Giants, and Warriors.

One day, I was in a thrift store with my mom when I found this old book that was about football. It happened to be a book celebrating the NFL's 50th anniversary. It must've been published in 1970, so the Browns' glory days were still pretty fresh and the Super Bowl was still new. There were a lot of pages devoted to the Browns. The book had a lot of cool photographs and illustrations of NFL greats such as Jim Brown, Johnny Unitas, Emlen Tunnell, Jim Thorpe, Curly Lambeau, George Halas, and many others. I spent a lot of time reading and re-reading that book. It feels like I did so every day back then when I was a little kid. The stories in that book are probably a big reason why I came to love the NFL. Maybe that is why I still think of the old days of the NFL when maybe many others don't.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Storied is a vague subject, something has to reflect the use of the word, it's just confusing.