• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 2: Bears (1-0) at Houston Texans (1-0)

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this loss is worse than just a -1 in the standings. That drive in the 3rd quarter where Caleb got headspun out of bounds, then Houston threw a chin checker AND head butted us, all with no flag was a defining moment of the season. #1, the effing refs should've thrown a flag, or 2. When they didn't, and the bears didn't respond, it will cause problems with this group the rest of 2024. When I say respond, I don't just mean with a brawl, I mean by scoring a touchdown on that drive. You can't let a team of hoodlums like Houston rough you up in an alley fight, not fight back and let them walk with no prosecution. We're finished, I'll watch, but don't feel much for this team. Led by a couple of metro sexuals (Caleb & 'flus) that aren't going to stand up to bullies. Not my style, not he NFL's style. The rest of the league now knows they can bully the bears without consequences and they will.

This post is a little much.

Yes, we're fatally flawed on offense...again...probably to the extent that our QB developing is going to be a clusterf*ck...again...so this season is going to be a lot more disappointing than we fans had hoped....

...But all this metrosexual and standing up to bullies stuff? Balogna.

The best thing we've got going for us is an upcoming schedule with winnable games.

Most of us expected us to lose to Houston, but the way in which the team lost tells us the story. Bears fans know how it goes at this point.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this loss is worse than just a -1 in the standings. That drive in the 3rd quarter where Caleb got headspun out of bounds, then Houston threw a chin checker AND head butted us, all with no flag was a defining moment of the season. #1, the effing refs should've thrown a flag, or 2. When they didn't, and the bears didn't respond, it will cause problems with this group the rest of 2024. When I say respond, I don't just mean with a brawl, I mean by scoring a touchdown on that drive. You can't let a team of hoodlums like Houston rough you up in an alley fight, not fight back and let them walk with no prosecution. We're finished, I'll watch, but don't feel much for this team. Led by a couple of metro sexuals (Caleb & 'flus) that aren't going to stand up to bullies. Not my style, not he NFL's style. The rest of the league now knows they can bully the bears without consequences and they will.

That was a clean hit though. Williams was still in bounds and he's running. That's just football.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The interior line has been bad.

Caleb Williams has also been "bad"... and that really isn't a debate.

You can give him a pass or go easy on him due to his rookie level of experience. That's fine, I am certainly grading him on a sliding scale. However, he is throwing the ball quite poorly and missing open receivers by large, large margins on pivotal plays. If we're simply to judge a QB by NFL standards. Caleb Williams has been quite poor. His line having issues doesn't just excuse him misfiring on rudimentary passes and/or missing wide open WR's on pivotal 3rd downs.

That does not mean that I don't have high hopes for Caleb. I think he has an extremely bright future.
While he's missed a couple of throws, particularly last week, most of what I saw last night were "tough throws", and they were mostly tough, due to no pocket or pressure up the middle.

No run game, no pass protection...I don't know what folks expect?:noidea:

I agree that he's got a bright future. If the Bears could shore up the interior line, the future would be a lot sooner than later.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously a QB has to learn to deal with pressure to make it in the NFL.

But pressuring a rookie QB 36 times in 44 dropbacks in his second start in the league on the road against a SB contender on Sunday Night is a pretty awful recipe. There is really no one that is gonna be able to perform well in that situation.

The fact that Williams was actually very good when not pressured is a huge positive. But how do they remedy the protection issues moving forward?

ThereIsNoPlace

The New Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a clean hit though. Williams was still in bounds and he's running. That's just football.
Didn't say it was dirty, just got his headspun. Teammates stand up for you for legal hits in bounds. It was a weak point in the game and the season for the entire team. 2 games in and it will affect the rest.

ThereIsNoPlace

The New Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This post is a little much.

Yes, we're fatally flawed on offense...again...probably to the extent that our QB developing is going to be a clusterf*ck...again...so this season is going to be a lot more disappointing than we fans had hoped....

...But all this metrosexual and standing up to bullies stuff? Balogna.

The best thing we've got going for us is an upcoming schedule with winnable games.

Most of us expected us to lose to Houston, but the way in which the team lost tells us the story. Bears fans know how it goes at this point.
Ha ha!... did you watch Hard Knocks? New hairdoo for Eberflus and painted nails & purse for his QB. Real NFL macho stuff right there.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't say it was dirty, just got his headspun. Teammates stand up for you for legal hits in bounds. It was a weak point in the game and the season for the entire team. 2 games in and it will affect the rest.

By next week no one will remember it. Except for message board posters and twitter folks.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously a QB has to learn to deal with pressure to make it in the NFL.

But pressuring a rookie QB 36 times in 44 dropbacks in his second start in the league on the road against a SB contender on Sunday Night is a pretty awful recipe. There is really no one that is gonna be able to perform well in that situation.

The fact that Williams was actually very good when not pressured is a huge positive. But how do they remedy the protection issues moving forward?

The great ones always torch the blitz. Caleb didn't do that once yesterday so they kept dialing it up. Yes, it's on our sh*t o-line moreso than not...but that he didn't make them pay once is one of those "hmmm" moments when you start wondering if your QB is the goods or not.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The great ones always torch the blitz.

36 times in 44 dropbacks though? How many QBs ever see that kind of pressure?

And how many great ones torched the blitz in their second NFL start?

Peyton Manning threw 6 picks in his first two starts.
but that he didn't make them pay once is one of those "hmmm" moments when you start wondering if your QB is the goods or not.

He had DJ Moore fail to catch a dime on a deep sideline throw where he was hit. Ball hit Moore on the hands and should have been caught.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caleb didn't do that once yesterday so they kept dialing it up.

The reason why they kept bringing the blitz is because of how good Williams was with no pressure and how inept the Bears were at picking up the blitz. Along with the fact that there was no run game to be worried about.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
36 times in 44 dropbacks though? How many QBs ever see that kind of pressure?

And how many great ones torched the blitz in their second NFL start?

Peyton Manning threw 6 picks in his first two starts.

He had DJ Moore fail to catch a dime on a deep sideline throw where he was hit. Ball hit Moore on the hands and should have been caught.

Andrew Luck threw for 4,374 in his first season despite having one of the worst offensive lines in football that year. He took 41 sacks and STILL made plays. I mean, ffs, the dude QUIT FOOTBALL because he got throttled so much. He still made plays. Consistently. Because that's what the real deal QB's do.

Fair or not regarding supporting cast and oline play, a #1 pick is supposed to MAKE PLAYS.

Right now we have 99 yards passing per game. MORE THAN HALF THE LEAGUE HAS DOUBLE THAT FIGURE. That means we're not even producing at HALF THE LEVEL of an average team in the passing game.

Read those last lines again.

Once again, the Bears are failing in ways that are not normal. Extraordinarily bad offensive play. So much so that even at this early stage, you have to think "F*ck did we bust out again?"

They REALLY f*cked up not getting better coaching and at least ONE decent o-line piece this past offseason. Now they pay for it.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Luck threw for 4,374 in his first season despite having one of the worst offensive lines in football that year. He took 41 sacks and STILL made plays. I mean, ffs, the dude QUIT FOOTBALL because he got throttled so much. He still made plays. Consistently. Because that's what the real deal QB's do.

Fair or not regarding supporting cast and oline play, a #1 pick is supposed to MAKE PLAYS.

Right now we have 99 yards passing per game. MORE THAN HALF THE LEAGUE HAS DOUBLE THAT FIGURE. That means we're not even producing at HALF THE LEVEL of an average team in the passing game.

Read those last lines again.

Once again, the Bears are failing in ways that are not normal. Extraordinarily bad offensive play. So much so that even at this early stage, you have to think "F*ck did we bust out again?"

They REALLY f*cked up not getting better coaching and at least ONE decent o-line piece this past offseason. Now they pay for it.

Andrew Luck's first NFL game was against the Bears. They pressured him. They sacked him three times. They intercepted him three times. He lost.

And pretty sure his center and right guard were probably better than Shelton and Davis.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem is this isn't a situation where 10 guys are doing their job and 1 guy isn't.

The problem is out of the 11 guys on the field on any given play there are probably 2 or 3 actually doing their job and the rest are either making no impact whatsoever or making a negative impact.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have the 6th fastest time to throw but you still get sacked 7 times....there are major issues that go far beyond QB play.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Luck's first NFL game was against the Bears. They pressured him. They sacked him three times. They intercepted him three times. He lost.

And pretty sure his center and right guard were probably better than Shelton and Davis.

I remember the game well. He threw for 300 yards and turned the ball over a lot. What you would expect out of a talented young #1 draft pick QB vs a strong D on the road. Honestly, moreso. But facts are facts. Indy had one of the worst offensive lines in football that year. He only had 4 games where he threw for under 200 yards. And the worst of those was 186...Basically, behind a sh*t line Andrew Luck's WORST GAMES of that season were almost twice the offensive production as Caleb's 2 first games.

You can say bad o-line play all you want...but the offense STILL has the advantage in the NFL and having 99 yards of passing over 2 NFL games is absolute 100% utter sh*t...much less when you are starting a #1 draft pick QB.

Is he a bust? Who knows...long way to go to determine that...but there's definitely an inkling of doubt at this point. It's not unfair at all to be like...What the f*ck is going on? We're playing that bad offensively. How is any Bear fan not asking themself "Are we f*cked" after a game that we lost by 6 points that felt like we were losing by 3 scores the entire time? That's...not...normal.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember the game well. He threw for 300 yards and turned the ball over a lot. What you would expect out of a talented young #1 draft pick QB vs a strong D on the road. Honestly, moreso. But facts are facts. Indy had one of the worst offensive lines in football that year. He only had 4 games where he threw for under 200 yards. And the worst of those was 186...Basically, behind a sh*t line Andrew Luck's WORST GAMES of that season were almost twice the offensive production as Caleb's 2 first games.

Luck also had 6 games that season where his time to throw was over 4 seconds.

Anytime you wanna start comparing apples to apples let me know.