• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thee OFFICIAL 2011 MLB trade deadline thread

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as we don't overpay*, I'd be happy with any of the three of Beltran, Upton, and Rasmus. Of the three, I think Beltran would help the most this year and be the cheapest, so he'd be my first target.

*Overpay = any of Wheeler, Belt or Brown.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as we don't overpay*, I'd be happy with any of the three of Beltran, Upton, and Rasmus. Of the three, I think Beltran would help the most this year and be the cheapest, so he'd be my first target.

*Overpay = any of Wheeler, Belt or Brown.

Agreed re: Beltran. For Upton or Rasmus, I'd put Brown on the table.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed re: Beltran. For Upton or Rasmus, I'd put Brown on the table.

The Rays' bullpen is awful, and Desmond Jennings is going to be their CF for the next decade (or until FA and the Yankees or Red Sox want him). I think a Hembree/Runzler/Peguero package could get it done, so the Giants could bring in Brown and get picks after Upton (hopefully) declines arbitration following the 2012 season.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rays' bullpen is awful, and Desmond Jennings is going to be their CF for the next decade (or until FA and the Yankees or Red Sox want him). I think a Hembree/Runzler/Peguero package could get it done, so the Giants could bring in Brown and get picks after Upton (hopefully) declines arbitration following the 2012 season.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Upton cannot be offered arb after 2012, he'd be a FA so if we didn't sign him and another team did AND he was deemed Type A (a safe bet) we'd get compensatory picks.

I don't know if I'd give up Hembree...he's Weezy insurance.

Edit: I forgot about non-binding arb and free agency. Brain fart. Disregard first sentence.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Upton cannot be offered arb after 2012, he'd be a FA so if we didn't sign him and another team did AND he was deemed Type A (a safe bet) we'd get compensatory picks.

BR says that he is arb eligible in 2012 and a FA in 2013.

B.J. Upton Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

I don't mind giving up Hembree with Romo and the Casilla brothers. Out of the four "untouchables," I see the future closer as the most replaceable. Surprising, I know, but that's a compliment to the bullpen depth within the org. I'm not completely against shipping out Brown. I just think the timetable for possible replacements works in favor of keeping him.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Edit: I forgot about non-binding arb and free agency. Brain fart. Disregard first sentence.

Sorry. Started the response before this. To your point, though, I would be fine with Upton sticking around through 2013, and I agree the Giants would get Type A FA compensatory picks. Those, in my opinion, could easily become the next Hembree in the org. Granted, that would put this mystery player a few years behind the Hembree curve, but I think a combination of Weezy/Romo/either or both Casillas could be a decent enough bridge to that player.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BR says that he is arb eligible in 2012 and a FA in 2013.

B.J. Upton Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

I don't mind giving up Hembree with Romo and the Casilla brothers. Out of the four "untouchables," I see the future closer as the most replaceable. Surprising, I know, but that's a compliment to the bullpen depth within the org. I'm not completely against shipping out Brown. I just think the timetable for possible replacements works in favor of keeping him.

I think we're saying the same thing. I believe you said:

"after Upton (hopefully) declines arbitration following the 2012 season."

Interesting point re: Brown and the bullpen. I'd hold on to Hembree. We shall see....

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're saying the same thing. I believe you said:

"after Upton (hopefully) declines arbitration following the 2012 season."

Interesting point re: Brown and the bullpen. I'd hold on to Hembree. We shall see....

Yeah. To each his own. Either way, it is becoming more and more apparent that the Giants might have to part with one of the "four untouchables" to get anything of any significance done at the deadline. Since Beltran is a rental, he might not end up costing one of the big four, but I think we all agree that Belt and Wheeler definitely shouldn't be involved in any trade for what is available, rental or not.

I think it comes down to Hembree or Brown being a center-piece. We shall see. Maybe Runzler/Surkamp/Peguero can get something done, but I doubt it. Neal instead of Peguero? Probably. Worth it? Not for me. Too many possibilities. I want to watch baseball. One and a half more hours. Phew!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ChinMusic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys, sfgfan4life from the ESPN boards (didn't post a lot), got fed up with most of the folks over there and eventually stumbled on this place.

Thought I'd pass this along, sounds as if we're closing in on Beltran, but potentially at the price of giving up Brown.

Giants Close To Acquiring Carlos Beltran: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

The twittersphere is buzzing with the same report.

I think he would be a big add, but giving up Brown makes me cringe a bit.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys, sfgfan4life from the ESPN boards (didn't post a lot), got fed up with most of the folks over there and eventually stumbled on this place.

Thought I'd pass this along, sounds as if we're closing in on Beltran, but potentially at the price of giving up Brown.

Welcome, we know exactly what you mean...

Saw those tweets...I too wish we could have kept Brown, but we have to all remember, the guy is years away, and a lot happens to prospects over time. So few really make an impact. He could get hurt. He could be a AAAA guy, we just don't know.

Beltran does something we KNOW we need, and now we can compete for real this year. The brass will find a long term solution at CF some other way.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome, we know exactly what you mean...

Saw those tweets...I too wish we could have kept Brown, but we have to all remember, the guy is years away, and a lot happens to prospects over time. So few really make an impact. He could get hurt. He could be a AAAA guy, we just don't know.

Beltran does something we KNOW we need, and now we can compete for real this year. The brass will find a long term solution at CF some other way.

Is he for sure gone now?

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So does Beltran play left with Schierholtz and Ross sharing duties in right? I sure as hell don't want to see Beltran's old legs trying to play right field.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First, welcome! Second, Let's just see how it plays out....there are rumors that Chez is going to NY for Beltran too.