• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thee OFFICIAL 2011 MLB trade deadline thread

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All moves and rumors for every team here (obviously though Giants bias).

Will Ubaldo be traded? Beltran less likely to land by the bay? Will the Pirates be buyers? All discussed here.

Last edited by a moderator:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking that it's looking less likely that we aquire Beltran since the Mets traded K-Rod and are willing to pay Beltran's salary. That was one of the big advantages we had on the other teams was the ability to pay his salary. Now? It will require a good prospect and the Giants aren't willing to do that.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm thinking that it's looking less likely that we aquire Beltran since the Mets traded K-Rod and are willing to pay Beltran's salary. That was one of the big advantages we had on the other teams was the ability to pay his salary. Now? It will require a good prospect and the Giants aren't willing to do that.

Beltran will be moved. No reason for the Mets to keep him this year if they don't intend to sign him next year.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

+1...Beltran will be traded, but not likely to the Giants, who will not part with Belt, Wheeler, or Brown.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would not put the Giants out of the running. I'd prefer Hunter Pence though.

I imagine that the price for Pence would be really high though. Probably the highest priced hitter available this deadline. I'm thinking it would take something like Surkamp, Brown, and Neal. What does everybody else think it would take to get him?

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
All moves and rumors for every team here (obviously though Giants bias).

Will Ubaldo be traded? Beltran less likely to land by the bay? Will the Pirates be buyers? All discussed here.

Repped for taking the initiative to make this into a thread, instead of being spread throughout all the other threads.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine that the price for Pence would be really high though. Probably the highest priced hitter available this deadline. I'm thinking it would take something like Surkamp, Brown, and Neal. What does everybody else think it would take to get him?

Pence is an interesting player. He's in his second arb year (two more to go) and making about $7MM. He's something of a defensive liability, although he's an excellent offensive player. He had a really good rookie year, but has been slightly below starter level in terms of WAR until this year, where he's at an All-Star level. He's likely figured it out and doubtless the Astros see this too. To get heeeem, We'd likely have to give up Brown and one of the big two (Wheeler, Belt).

I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger on that one.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Pence is an interesting player. He's in his second arb year (two more to go) and making about $7MM. He's something of a defensive liability, although he's an excellent offensive player. He had a really good rookie year, but has been slightly below starter level in terms of WAR until this year, where he's at an All-Star level. He's likely figured it out and doubtless the Astros see this too. To get heeeem, We'd likely have to give up Brown and one of the big two (Wheeler, Belt).

I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger on that one.

I thought Wheeler and Neal.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the 'Stros, I'd rather have Bourn IMO. I would part with Brown in that case and some pitcher (not Hembree, Surkamp, Wheeler though).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Wheeler and Neal.

That sounds about right; I wouldn't do it. He's just not good on defense and with our pitching based team that's a potentially bad mix (see: Huff, A LF). Also, this is his only truly outstanding year (and it's not over yet).

I'd pass.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That sounds about right; I wouldn't do it. He's just not good on defense and with our pitching based team that's a potentially bad mix (see: Huff, A LF). Also, this is his only truly outstanding year (and it's not over yet).

I'd pass.

Ok. I'm off Pence. His BABIP is .381, which is about 50 points better than his career avg. He's not much better than what Schierholtz/Ross are doing right now.

I'm curious about his defense though. He's got speed, he has a strong arm, so unless he's got Fred Lewis level depth perception, you'd think he would be a good defender. His UZR has been positive for his career.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will pass on this thread as the Braves will do nothing :L

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
new Astros owner isn't trading Pence. that is the only non tradeable the Astros have. They also plan on shedding 60 mil from their payroll.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. I'm off Pence. His BABIP is .381, which is about 50 points better than his career avg. He's not much better than what Schierholtz/Ross are doing right now.

I'm curious about his defense though. He's got speed, he has a strong arm, so unless he's got Fred Lewis level depth perception, you'd think he would be a good defender. His UZR has been positive for his career.

Good call on the BABIP...that's unsustainable. His dWAR for his career:

0.2, -0.4, 0.0, -1.1, (-0.7) <--- projected for 2011

He's not awful; he may in fact even be average. But total zone rating has him at slightly below average for his career. I agree that he's a five tool guy, so he must either make a good number of errors, few assists, or simply not be very good at judging fly balls.

BeerMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good call on the BABIP...that's unsustainable. His dWAR for his career:

0.2, -0.4, 0.0, -1.1, (-0.7) <--- projected for 2011

He's not awful; he may in fact even be average. But total zone rating has him at slightly below average for his career. I agree that he's a five tool guy, so he must either make a good number of errors, few assists, or simply not be very good at judging fly balls.

His BABIP is .350 away from Minute Maid park and .410 at home so maybe MM park that has something to do with it.

After he threw out a runner at the All Star game the commentators said he leads the league in assists since 2008. It looks like he makes his fair share of errors though.

BeerMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do any of you think the Giants are willing to part with players that aren't prospects? Maybe a reliever or J. Sanchez?