• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thee OFFICIAL 2011 MLB trade deadline thread

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised by this move at all and I like it. Both minor leaguers were expendable. Stoffel never impressed me much and while he will likely pitch in the majors soon, he just didn't have much of a chance here, especially with the emergence of Hembree.

Good add, nothing spectacular but he will be batting second and essentially become what Freddy Sanchez was expected to be.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltran

From ESPN in, for what it's worth:

Pat Burrell's now on the disabled list, which gives the Giants a tempting open roster spot into which Beltran would fit nicely. Beltran would be the best outfielder on the Giants and a boon to a team that's 14th in the NL in runs scored. However, a stumbling block is whether the Giants would be willing to part with top prospects such as right-hander Zack Wheeler or center fielder Gary Brown. Brandon Belt isn't the greatest fit to a Mets team that has Ike Davis, and the Mets will probably get better offers than the second tier of Giants prospects.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN in, for what it's worth:

Pat Burrell's now on the disabled list, which gives the Giants a tempting open roster spot into which Beltran would fit nicely. Beltran would be the best outfielder on the Giants and a boon to a team that's 14th in the NL in runs scored. However, a stumbling block is whether the Giants would be willing to part with top prospects such as right-hander Zack Wheeler or center fielder Gary Brown. Brandon Belt isn't the greatest fit to a Mets team that has Ike Davis, and the Mets will probably get better offers than the second tier of Giants prospects.

Wheeler is going to be a front of the rotation starter and Brown is going to be a prototypical leadoff hitter. I wouldn't deal either for a two month rental.

I'm pretty sure Sabes wouldn't either. Neal and Surkamp?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Mets are willing to eat some of Beltran's contract to increase the talent return, than he is not destined for SF.

I think that is simply fact.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From Baggs:

With Sabean still determined to upgrade the offense and “lengthen the lineup,” I wouldn’t rule out the Giants revisiting Cuddyer in the next 10 days. Whether the Twins adjust the price is another matter.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wheeler is going to be a front of the rotation starter and Brown is going to be a prototypical leadoff hitter. I wouldn't deal either for a two month rental.

Even that is too expensive. Neal (according to the numbers, at least) is almost MLB ready himself, and Surkamp looks promising as a #3 or #4 by mid season 2012 (not for the Giants, of course).

If the Mets were to through in a high ceiling young kid (A- or so) to offset, than I may be OK with the cost, though...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Baggs:

With Sabean still determined to upgrade the offense and “lengthen the lineup,” I wouldn’t rule out the Giants revisiting Cuddyer in the next 10 days. Whether the Twins adjust the price is another matter.

That was my first thought when I read that Sabes was working on "something bigger" when he turned his attention to Keppy. Again, as long as Wheeler and Brown are not involved, this makes sense.

Unintended byproduct of a Cuddyer acquisition: less pantshatting from FUDsense -- Cuddyer is white.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my first thought when I read that Sabes was working on "something bigger" when he turned his attention to Keppy. Again, as long as Wheeler and Brown are not involved, this makes sense.

Unintended byproduct of a Cuddyer acquisition: less pantshatting from FUDsense -- Cuddyer is white.

Nothing can stem the flow of his shatting. Look at him today once he saw the lineup. You can practically hear the whining.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even that is too expensive. Neal (according to the numbers, at least) is almost MLB ready himself, and Surkamp looks promising as a #3 or #4 by mid season 2012 (not for the Giants, of course).

If the Mets were to through in a high ceiling young kid (A- or so) to offset, than I may be OK with the cost, though...

That's a good take, Cal. How about Neal for Beltran straight up?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing can stem the flow of his shatting. Look at him today once he saw the lineup. You can practically hear the whining.

Haven't been over there yet; I'm still basking in the glow of utter pwnage from yesterday.

One of my more inspired moments. Up there with my "news report" about Casius Zic's suicide on the W's board a couple of years ago.....

I heart me.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't been over there yet; I'm still basking in the glow of utter pwnage from yesterday.

One of my more inspired moments. Up there with my "news report" about Casius Zic's suicide on the W's board a couple of years ago.....

I heart me.

You should bump that shit before it's deleted. Might look like an ego move, but who cares. I would love to read that thread again. CLASSIC.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should bump that shit before it's deleted. Might look like an ego move, but who cares. I would love to read that thread again. CLASSIC.

He should copy-paste it here....

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, it'd take some archive work though. Mebbe....

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

More Sabes:

•General managers eyeing Zack Wheeler and Brandon Belt may want to think twice. Sabean suggested some of the team's top young players are virtually untouchable. “There are guys we definitely won’t trade, and baseball people know that, too,” Sabean said.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good take, Cal. How about Neal for Beltran straight up?

I would not be happy about that deal, but I think it is essentially fair. The Giants get the extra bat so they can potentially make a push this year and the Mets get a good, young #2 or #3 OFer in return.

Expensive, but it may be worth it.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been culling the blogs and it looks like Sabes "big deal" might have been BJ Upton. Question to the board: Wheeler for Upton, do you pull the trigger?

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've been culling the blogs and it looks like Sabes "big deal" might have been BJ Upton. Question to the board: Wheeler for Upton, do you pull the trigger?

Hell no.

First off let me state that I am NOT one of those guys who thinks Wheeler is untradeable. For the right player, anyone can be traded. If the Brewers offered Ryan Braun for Wheeler and Belt, I take that deal before the Brewers GM changes his mind. But we know that won't happen. Braun isn't going anywhere.

That being said, Upton is a player with loads of potential and if he ever tapped that potential, he could easily be one of the best players in the game. The problem is that he is one month away from being 27 years old. He's not young and he's likely not going to just miraculously start being the player all the people who watch him think he can be. If he were going to be that player, he likely would have started to make that transition a year or two ago. It just ain't gonna happen.

With the rare exception of 2007 when he had one of those years where everything seemed to work right, the guy has not been able to capitalize on his talents. He generally hits in the high .230s or low .240s with an OBP slightly above .300. His OPS is rarely above .750. Sure he hits 20+ home runs and steals 20+ bases, but he hurts the team more than he helps with his undisciplined style. His stats are hollow.

Now if Tampa wants to offer Evan Longoria, Wheeler is an option. Again, that ain't gonna happen. I'd trade Gary Brown for Upton right now, but not Wheeler.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with Cam. Wheeler is too steep. I would hope that Sabes would consider Brown as the centerpiece of an Upton deal, too.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

No Fucking Way.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell no.

First off let me state that I am NOT one of those guys who thinks Wheeler is untradeable. For the right player, anyone can be traded. If the Brewers offered Ryan Braun for Wheeler and Belt, I take that deal before the Brewers GM changes his mind. But we know that won't happen. Braun isn't going anywhere.

That being said, Upton is a player with loads of potential and if he ever tapped that potential, he could easily be one of the best players in the game. The problem is that he is one month away from being 27 years old. He's not young and he's likely not going to just miraculously start being the player all the people who watch him think he can be. If he were going to be that player, he likely would have started to make that transition a year or two ago. It just ain't gonna happen.

With the rare exception of 2007 when he had one of those years where everything seemed to work right, the guy has not been able to capitalize on his talents. He generally hits in the high .230s or low .240s with an OBP slightly above .300. His OPS is rarely above .750. Sure he hits 20+ home runs and steals 20+ bases, but he hurts the team more than he helps with his undisciplined style. His stats are hollow.

Now if Tampa wants to offer Evan Longoria, Wheeler is an option. Again, that ain't gonna happen. I'd trade Gary Brown for Upton right now, but not Wheeler.

I wonder how much his numbers would be helped by playing in the National League, and not having to face the Yanks and BoSox pitching. Just a thought.

For what it's worth, from Jim Bowden, ESPN IN:

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS:
Primary needs: Middle-of-the-order bat

Ideal: Beltran is the perfect fit for the Giants and would give them a legitimate chance of getting back to the World Series. Mets GM Sandy Alderson has to be holding out for the Giants’ top pitching prospect, Zach Wheeler. That type of move is not unprecedented for Giants GM Brian Sabean, who traded another former top prospect, Tim Alderson, to the Pirates in 2009 for Freddy Sanchez. If the Mets can’t get Wheeler, they’ll probably settle for speed center fielder Gary Brown. If the Giants can find a way to make the deal without those two in a deal, I would expect a press conference quickly! A potential Beltran deal probably gets done a week early so that medicals, physicals, no-trade rights and contractual issues all have plenty of time to be resolved before the July 31.

Reality: Beltran is not just the ideal fit for the Giants, it’s realistic as well. They can make a run at Pence, but I’m not sure even a Wheeler and Brown package would be enough for Astros GM Ed Wade. The next group of available outfielders probably won’t be enough of an upgrade over Cody Ross and Nate Schierholz to justify giving up quality prospects.