• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thee OFFICIAL 2011 MLB trade deadline thread

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Do any of you think the Giants are willing to part with players that aren't prospects? Maybe a reliever or J. Sanchez?

They had a chance to trade Casilla for Torrealba soon after Posey went down. That deal fell through, reportedly, over money owed to Yorvit in 2012. I could see them parting with Sanchy, but I don't see it actually happening. Can't get full value for him, i think.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do any of you think the Giants are willing to part with players that aren't prospects? Maybe a reliever or J. Sanchez?

I think they may be a bit more serious about trading him in the offseason bit I dont see it now. As for the relievers, I don't think their to stoked about trading any of them either. Maybe Runzler, Cassila and Mota (but who'd want him).

The Giants would rather pay teams for their players rather than trading their own for them, which I like a lot. It's nice to know the team is willing to spend.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems to me that the NL has whittled down to eight playoff contenders: PHI, ATL, PIT, STL, MIL, CIN, SF, and AZ. There's a slight chance that AZ could fall out of it by the end of the month if the Giants roll and the DBacks bomb. In any event, I don't see AZ able to add significant payroll to obtain a starter. So, let's assume they're out of the trading deadline mix.

PHI: they need a bullpen arm and an outfielder. However, they dealt a lot of their minor league depth to obtain Oswalt and Lee. I don't think they'll be able to pick up Bell or Adams, so they might be looking at someone like Balfour or Capps. I see them rumored to be interested in Ludwick and Willingham. Billy Bean is going to be busy.

ATL: Maybe the best team in the NL. They need an outfielder and maybe a shortstop. I think they're going to be players in the Pence/Bourne game. Also, they have what the Mets want (ML ready pitching) in a possible Reyes deal.

PIT: Surprise team of 2011. They need a lot of things not named outfielder and catcher. They don't have a ton in the minors to deal, but are rumored to be talking about Carlos Lee. I don't see them staying in the race, even in a weak NL Central.

STL: They need bullpen help, and maybe middle infield. I think they make a run at Bell, and maybe Chone Figgins. They'll be in it in September, especially if Carp pulls his head out.

MIL: They need a SS. Their farm is pretty thin after getting Greinke and Marcum, but they did strengthen the bully with K Rod. They don't have enough to get Reyes, but they might look at Furcal, who was balling before his injury.

CIN: I think they'll end up winning this crap division. They really need a starter and they could make a big move for Jimenez or Anibal Sanchez. They've got minor league talent to work with and I think they get something done. They might sniff around on Bell as well to firm up a decent but not great bully.

AZ: Probably going to fade and will not be a player this year. They still need pitching and don't have the scratch to buy some.

SF: Going to win the west, probably going away. But, to firm up the playoff roster, will need a middle order hitter -- position isn't important. We could be in on Josh Willingham and of course there's always Beltran. One rumor has us after Aramis Ramirez with Panda moving to 1B.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems to me that the NL has whittled down to eight playoff contenders: PHI, ATL, PIT, STL, MIL, CIN, SF, and AZ. There's a slight chance that AZ could fall out of it by the end of the month if the Giants roll and the DBacks bomb. In any event, I don't see AZ able to add significant payroll to obtain a starter. So, let's assume they're out of the trading deadline mix.

PHI: they need a bullpen arm and an outfielder. However, they dealt a lot of their minor league depth to obtain Oswalt and Lee. I don't think they'll be able to pick up Bell or Adams, so they might be looking at someone like Balfour or Capps. I see them rumored to be interested in Ludwick and Willingham. Billy Bean is going to be busy.

ATL: Maybe the best team in the NL. They need an outfielder and maybe a shortstop. I think they're going to be players in the Pence/Bourne game. Also, they have what the Mets want (ML ready pitching) in a possible Reyes deal.

PIT: Surprise team of 2011. They need a lot of things not named outfielder and catcher. They don't have a ton in the minors to deal, but are rumored to be talking about Carlos Lee. I don't see them staying in the race, even in a weak NL Central.

STL: They need bullpen help, and maybe middle infield. I think they make a run at Bell, and maybe Chone Figgins. They'll be in it in September, especially if Carp pulls his head out.

MIL: They need a SS. Their farm is pretty thin after getting Greinke and Marcum, but they did strengthen the bully with K Rod. They don't have enough to get Reyes, but they might look at Furcal, who was balling before his injury.

CIN: I think they'll end up winning this crap division. They really need a starter and they could make a big move for Jimenez or Anibal Sanchez. They've got minor league talent to work with and I think they get something done. They might sniff around on Bell as well to firm up a decent but not great bully.

AZ: Probably going to fade and will not be a player this year. They still need pitching and don't have the scratch to buy some.

SF: Going to win the west, probably going away. But, to firm up the playoff roster, will need a middle order hitter -- position isn't important. We could be in on Josh Willingham and of course there's always Beltran. One rumor has us after Aramis Ramirez with Panda moving to 1B.

Good analysis. I think the only thing the Phills can do is aquire cheap bullpen help. Their payroll and depth makes it tough for them otherwise.

I could see the Braves making a play for Hunter Pence because of their great pitching depth in the minors and if they did get Pence, I'd say they are one if the best teams in the majors, if not the top team.

For the Giants, the only problem I see with Ramirez is if he's traded, his $16 million option is guaranteed, unless we negotiate it out. But, he'd be a good fit though at what cost?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good analysis. I think the only thing the Phills can do is aquire cheap bullpen help. Their payroll and depth makes it tough for them otherwise.

I could see the Braves making a play for Hunter Pence because of their great pitching depth in the minors and if they did get Pence, I'd say they are one if the best teams in the majors, if not the top team.

For the Giants, the only problem I see with Ramirez is if he's traded, his $16 million option is guaranteed, unless we negotiate it out. But, he'd be a good fit though at what cost?

SFG, I don't think that's right. My understanding is that it's a mutual option with a $2MM buyout.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
SFG, I don't think that's right. My understanding is that it's a mutual option with a $2MM buyout.

Either way, why would the Giants want to buy it out if they make the trade? Aramis Ramirez is one of the best third basemen in the game today. He's 33, but he's got 3 or 4 very good years left in him. Making a trade for ARam would be HUGE but I don't think Sabean has the stones to make that deal.

For the record, I would trade any player in the SF chain not named Wheeler for the chance to land ARam.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either way, why would the Giants want to buy it out if they make the trade? Aramis Ramirez is one of the best third basemen in the game today. He's 33, but he's got 3 or 4 very good years left in him. Making a trade for ARam would be HUGE but I don't think Sabean has the stones to make that deal.

For the record, I would trade any player in the SF chain not named Wheeler for the chance to land ARam.

Guess we'll have to disagree, Cam. Aramis has never been anything more than adequate defensively. All of his value comes from his bat, and if you look at his WAR over his career, he's had four very good years in the 11 years he's been a starter (01, 04, 07, 08). He was decent in 05 and 06. But he was mediocre in 03 and 09 -- below replacement level. And in 02 and 10, he was downright awful, registering NEGATIVE WARs both those years. This year, he projects out to a good year (3.7 WAR).

So, why would we NOT pick up his option for next year? Because he's owed $16MM. Next year, we'll have $19MM due to Zito, $15MM+ for Timmy, $14MM to RoRo, $11 to Huff, and $15MM to Cain. We simply do not have room for a sixth guy making seven figures.

The same argument I have against Reyes. No budget in 2012 for a superstar contract. Ramirez is getting to the age where we can expect him to start sliding. His defense, while never good, will probably become below average. Say he gave us 3.0 WAR next year (not unreasonable given his mediocre glove and advancing age)....we'd be overpaying by a few million.

I'd pass...blame it on Zito.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston has already said that pence won't be traded.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Henry sosa was part of that deal

From mlbtraderumors.com

Giants Acquire Jeff Keppinger
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 19 at 4:58pm CST]

The Giants acquired Jeff Keppinger from the Astros for right-handed pitchers Henry Sosa and Jason Stoffel, according to Alyson Footer of the Astros (on Twitter).

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freddy Sanchez light. Good move, Sabes. Obviously, not a World Series clincher, but I don't think anyone was anticipating or expecting a move like that (if it exists).

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Matt Downs is OPS+ ing 138 with houston, btw.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
UZR does not like keppinger -12 at SS, -2.1 at 2B

FYI, Freddy Sanchez is +17 at 2B.

Pretty much a direct replacement for Tejada then.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From mlbtraderumors.com

Giants Acquire Jeff Keppinger
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 19 at 4:58pm CST]

The Giants acquired Jeff Keppinger from the Astros for right-handed pitchers Henry Sosa and Jason Stoffel, according to Alyson Footer of the Astros (on Twitter).

I am kinda sad to see Stoffel go, but to get a new 2B, that is alright. Non-closer, relief prospects are a dime a dozen. Sosa is org depth at this stage, so he is just packing material to protect Stoffel while in transit.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Keppinger. Not the best talent but plays his ass off every game

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UZR does not like keppinger -12 at SS, -2.1 at 2B

FYI, Freddy Sanchez is +17 at 2B.

Pretty much a direct replacement for Tejada then.

Yup, although he'll play 2B. I'm thinking they believe Franchez to be done for 2011.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I am kinda sad to see Stoffel go, but to get a new 2B, that is alright. Non-closer, relief prospects are a dime a dozen. Sosa is org depth at this stage, so he is just packing material to protect Stoffel while in transit.

Yeah, organizational filler guys at this point. Kinda funny to remember all the hand-wringing when Sosa did not make the big club last year.

And I don't mean to be negative on keppinger - seems to have a solid bat.