• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thee OFFICIAL 2011 MLB trade deadline thread

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wonder how much his numbers would be helped by playing in the National League, and not having to face the Yanks and BoSox pitching. Just a thought.

For what it's worth, from Jim Bowden, ESPN IN:

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS:
Primary needs: Middle-of-the-order bat

Ideal: Beltran is the perfect fit for the Giants and would give them a legitimate chance of getting back to the World Series. Mets GM Sandy Alderson has to be holding out for the Giants’ top pitching prospect, Zach Wheeler. That type of move is not unprecedented for Giants GM Brian Sabean, who traded another former top prospect, Tim Alderson, to the Pirates in 2009 for Freddy Sanchez. If the Mets can’t get Wheeler, they’ll probably settle for speed center fielder Gary Brown. If the Giants can find a way to make the deal without those two in a deal, I would expect a press conference quickly! A potential Beltran deal probably gets done a week early so that medicals, physicals, no-trade rights and contractual issues all have plenty of time to be resolved before the July 31.

Reality: Beltran is not just the ideal fit for the Giants, it’s realistic as well. They can make a run at Pence, but I’m not sure even a Wheeler and Brown package would be enough for Astros GM Ed Wade. The next group of available outfielders probably won’t be enough of an upgrade over Cody Ross and Nate Schierholz to justify giving up quality prospects.

You mean the same badass pitching staffs that have studs like Freddy Garcia, Bartolo Colon, Ivan Nova, John Lackey, Daisuke Matsuzaka, and Andrew Miller?

BJ Upton is definitely available now, the Rays just called up Jennings. Since everybody knows that the Rays are going to be trading Upton, does that drive his price down since they have less leverage now?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From MLB Trade Rumors:

Yesterday we learned that because of his no-trade clause, Beltran can not approve a trade until 24 hours after the deal. That means the deadline to move him is July 30th, not the 31st. The Mets have interest in top prospects, but Mike Minor (Braves), Domonic Brown (Phillies), Gary Brown, Zach Wheeler, and Brandon Belt (all Giants) appear to be long shots.

The Mets are just holding out; hoping that us, the Brave, or the Phils will blink. They're going to have to settle for a B level prospect and salary relief. We have an edge over the Braves and Phils b/c of the ability to absorb money.

I think he'll be a Giant by next Wednesday or Thursday.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this from Shulman:

Sabean cryptically said his untouchables list different than public perception. Makes me wonder if Wheeler's not on it. Belt/Brown must be.

I'd hate to lose Wheeler.

xxERICSMITHXX

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From MLB Trade Rumors:

Yesterday we learned that because of his no-trade clause, Beltran can not approve a trade until 24 hours after the deal. That means the deadline to move him is July 30th, not the 31st. The Mets have interest in top prospects, but Mike Minor (Braves), Domonic Brown (Phillies), Gary Brown, Zach Wheeler, and Brandon Belt (all Giants) appear to be long shots.

The Mets are just holding out; hoping that us, the Brave, or the Phils will blink. They're going to have to settle for a B level prospect and salary relief. We have an edge over the Braves and Phils b/c of the ability to absorb money.

I think he'll be a Giant by next Wednesday or Thursday.

This is pretty much how I currently view the situation. As long as no one is willing to give up the big prospect, the difference between possible B type prospects isn't enough when taking into account the difference in salary relief that the Giants can offer. I think Sabes just needs to remain patient and he will get his guy for the right price. If he pulls that off and can bring in a serviceable catcher that will be one hell of a trade deadline job.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would still do a Brown-Bourn swap but it doesnt sound like Bourn is being discussed much. As for Upton, he's an interesting player cuz he has some good tools but his OPS is not heading in the right direction. If he didnt cost Wheeler, Belt or Brown, maybe just maybe I'd take a flyer on him.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This, from Baggs blog:

I keep hearing that other clubs are bringing up his (Dan Runzler's) name in almost every trade proposal. I’m pretty sure the Giants would not sacrifice Zack Wheeler, Gary Brown or Brandon Belt to get Carlos Beltran. But would they cross the bridge with Runzler and maybe Francisco Peguero? Would that be enough for the Mets?

Makes me hopeful...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This, from Baggs blog:

I keep hearing that other clubs are bringing up his (Dan Runzler's) name in almost every trade proposal. I’m pretty sure the Giants would not sacrifice Zack Wheeler, Gary Brown or Brandon Belt to get Carlos Beltran. But would they cross the bridge with Runzler and maybe Francisco Peguero? Would that be enough for the Mets?

Makes me hopeful...

That would ba a HUGE haul for the Mets. A MLB reliever who MAY be a starter OR closer AND a near MLB ready low-level 5- tool outfielder?

Maybe the giants need to pay that kind of price, but that medicine would not taste good.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Brown or Peguero? Who would you rather give up for Beltran?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this from Shulman:

Sabean cryptically said his untouchables list different than public perception. Makes me wonder if Wheeler's not on it. Belt/Brown must be.

I'd hate to lose Wheeler.

This may have been covered already but does anyone see a parallel between Wheeler and Tim Alderson? Highly regarded single A pitchers in the top 100 prospect list...there was a ton of howling when we let Alderson go.

Did anyone here have a problem with that trade at the time? I remember thinking it was a gamble but not being devastated or anything.

Differences as I see them are Alderson was traded for a guy that still had some team control (Sanchez IIRC had another year) not a 2 month rental (Beltran, Reyes, etc), and also Wheeler isn't exactly lighting up A ball yet, was Alderson doing better?

Anyway just wanted to get everyone's take there...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would ba a HUGE haul for the Mets. A MLB reliever who MAY be a starter OR closer AND a near MLB ready low-level 5- tool outfielder?

Maybe the giants need to pay that kind of price, but that medicine would not taste good.

+1. I'd do that deal.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may have been covered already but does anyone see a parallel between Wheeler and Tim Alderson? Highly regarded single A pitchers in the top 100 prospect list...there was a ton of howling when we let Alderson go.

Did anyone here have a problem with that trade at the time? I remember thinking it was a gamble but not being devastated or anything.

Differences as I see them are Alderson was traded for a guy that still had some team control (Sanchez IIRC had another year) not a 2 month rental (Beltran, Reyes, etc), and also Wheeler isn't exactly lighting up A ball yet, was Alderson doing better?

I have kinda been feeling his as well, recently. If we can get a SERIOUS piece to the club (with a little bit of team control), than I have a feeling Wheeler is available. I don't think he is available for Beltran, one-up, though. I think the Mets would need to throw in a prospect to make it happen.

Sanchez had an 8M option, IIRC. The Giants ended up signing him to a 2/12 extension, instead (and later extended it to a 3/18). I was not thrilled about the trade, but that was because I took the two trades as a whole and thought that trading 2 of our top 4 pitching prospects was too much for the haul that we got (and I thought we needed power more than an injured OBP 2B).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Alderson, IIRC, was regressing. And as you mention, Franchez wasn't a rental. OTOH, we don't really need another righty SP if we're going to keep Tim, Cain, and Song.

Still, Wheeler would be overpaying for two months of Beltran.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I see no similarity in Wheeler and Alderson. Wheeler is a horse, and future #1/#2 starter, Alderson was never going to be more than a back of the rotation guy (BORG).

And Sanchez absolutely was a rental. No one was going to pick up his 8mil option for 2010. But the Giants liked him enough to not treat him as a rental, and so negotiated the two year contract and paid him at the top of the market.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have kinda been feeling his as well, recently. If we can get a SERIOUS piece to the club (with a little bit of team control), than I have a feeling Wheeler is available. I don't think he is available for Beltran, one-up, though. I think the Mets would need to throw in a prospect to make it happen.

Sanchez had an 8M option, IIRC. The Giants ended up signing him to a 2/12 extension, instead (and later extended it to a 3/18). I was not thrilled about the trade, but that was because I took the two trades as a whole and thought that trading 2 of our top 4 pitching prospects was too much for the haul that we got (and I thought we needed power more than an injured OBP 2B).

This. I was hoping we could package Barnes/Alderson to get Victor Martinez. Probably would have needed another name in there.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Different pitchers. Wheeler has the big pitchers body, built like Matt Cain and Madison Bumgarner. And he's got the big fastball which is gaining speed, unlike Alderson who was LOSING velocity.

Wheeler is prime.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see no similarity in Wheeler and Alderson. Wheeler is a horse, and future #1/#2 starter, Alderson was never going to be more than a back of the rotation guy (BORG).

And Sanchez absolutely was a rental.
No one was going to pick up his 8mil option for 2010. But the Giants liked him enough to not treat him as a rental, and so negotiated the two year contract and paid him at the top of the market.

Have to disagree there, GP. Not only is that technically incorrect (the Giants had an option and thus controlled Franchez' 2011 season) but logically there was no way they were going to let him walk and get no compensation. If he were a FA they'd at least get compensatory picks; by declining the option they would get nothing. Further, IIRC, the Giants were always about working out a longer term deal with him -- I seem to remember reading an article that said if they couldn't work out a 2 year deal that they would (reluctantly) pick up the option.

If I'm misremembering, though, please correct me.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Have to disagree there, GP. Not only is that technically incorrect (the Giants had an option and thus controlled Franchez' 2011 season) but logically there was no way they were going to let him walk and get no compensation. If he were a FA they'd at least get compensatory picks; by declining the option they would get nothing. Further, IIRC, the Giants were always about working out a longer term deal with him -- I seem to remember reading an article that said if they couldn't work out a 2 year deal that they would (reluctantly) pick up the option.

If I'm misremembering, though, please correct me.

De facto rental. We've had this discussion previously. No one was going to exercise his option - so he was going to a free agent in 2010 no matter what. Given that the Giants paid Freddy at the top of the market, they didn't really get anything of value for Alderson. And, of course, they got even less for Barnes.

p.s. paying him 8mil when the top second baseman we're getting 6, doesn't justify the trade in the slightest.

Last edited by a moderator: