• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Series Champions, Texas Rangers 2023-2024 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have come to another offseason. This one seems much different than the last few. We have a lot more guys leaving in free agency than in some of the past years. Our needs, going into this offseason, are much fewer than in these last few years. We need to find a way to remain World Series contenders. The goal is to become even better than our 2023 World Series Championship team.

I think most of us on here see the bullpen as our biggest need. There are going to be lots of 40-man roster spots to fill, but besides those spots in the bullpen, not very many 26-man roster spots need to be filled from outside the organization.

Currently, including guys on the 60-day DL, we have 45 guys on the 40-man roster. Of those on the 60-day DL, 4 of them most likely will not return. Those are Brad Miller, Ian Kennedy, Jake Odorizzi, and Brett Martin. The only one currently on the 60-day DL, that is a given to stay on the 40-man roster, is Jake deGrom. Of the other 4, all of them are free agents except Brett Martin.

Sportrac lists us with 14 free agents, but two have options. Heaney has a player option, and Leclerc has a team option. The Rangers are sure to retain Leclerc, but it is much harder to guess what route Heaney will go.

Sportrac estimates the Rangers are about $55 million under the Luxury Tax Threshold for 2024. That doesn't include the arbitration figures that are still to come. It also doesn't include salaries for players who are not yet eligible for arbitration. Here is what MLBTR projects for the arbitration salary figures for the Rangers in 2024.

If the Rangers do not plan on bringing Bush and Martin back that arbitration total is $28.1 million. The league minimum next year is $740,000. The 26-man roster will most likely include 7 or 8 guys making the league minimum next year. With 8 guys making the minimum that totals $5.9 million. So, the projected total for minimum salary guys and salary arbitration eligible guys is $34 million. That only leaves us $21 million below the Luxury Tax Threshold.

That isn't much wiggle room. There is a way to create more room and that is to trade away veterans and replace them with guys making the league minimum. I have read in other places talk of trading Taveras and/or Lowe. Even if we traded both of them, it would only open up $11.2 million. Trading both leaves us $32.2 million below the Luxury Tax Threshold. The Rangers could choose to go above the Threshold, but even then, I doubt they would go very much above it.

One other possible help could come in the form of a trade of either Jon Gray or Andrew Heaney. Of course, Heaney deciding to opt out would help as well. The amount of Heaney's salary that counts toward the Luxury Tax next year is $12.5 million and Gray's salary is a $14 million hit. Moving on from both Heaney and Gray would free up another $26.5 million. That would allow the Rangers to sign Montgomery. It would also allow another $28 to $30 million left to spend on relievers in free agency.

Montgomery is projected to get a new contract with an AAV of $25 million. The best relief pitcher, Josh Hader, is projected to get a contract with an AAV of $20 million. To sign only those two free agents and no more would cost a total of $45 million on an annual basis.

That would leave us with a rotation of Scherzer, Eovaldi, Montgomery, Dunning and Bradford. One or two of those trades mentioned could bring back a young starter or two to have in AAA to go along with Kent and White for starting pitching depth and maybe compete with Bradford for a spot in the rotation.

Wiggle Room Below the Luxury Tax Threshold​

Without trading away any veterans -- $21 million

Trading away Taveras -- $23.4 million

Trading away Lowe and Taveras -- $$32.2 million

Trading away Lowe, Taveras, plus Heaney leaving -- $44.7 million

Trading away Lowe, Taveras, plus Gray traded and Heaney leaving -- $58.7 million

If the Rangers trade those four veterans and sign Montgomery and Hader it would leave them about $13.7 million below the Luxury Tax threshold.

40-Man Roster Decisions​

It looks like the leading candidates to be added to the 40-man roster this winter are the following:

Justin Foscue
Blaine Crim
Dane Acker
Antoine Kelly
Jose Corniell
Davis Wendzel

I imagine the first 4 will be protected. I would think both Ornelas and Winn are in danger of losing their 40-man spots.

So, let's get the hot stove talk underway.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have come to another offseason. This one seems much different than the last few. We have a lot more guys leaving in free agency than in some of the past years. Our needs, going into this offseason, are much fewer than in these last few years. We need to find a way to remain World Series contenders. The goal is to become even better than our 2023 World Series Championship team.

I think most of us on here see the bullpen as our biggest need. There are going to be lots of 40-man roster spots to fill, but besides those spots in the bullpen, not very many 26-man roster spots need to be filled from outside the organization.

Currently, including guys on the 60-day DL, we have 45 guys on the 40-man roster. Of those on the 60-day DL, 4 of them most likely will not return. Those are Brad Miller, Ian Kennedy, Jake Odorizzi, and Brett Martin. The only one currently on the 60-day DL, that is a given to stay on the 40-man roster, is Jake deGrom. Of the other 4, all of them are free agents except Brett Martin.

Sportrac lists us with 14 free agents, but two have options. Heaney has a player option, and Leclerc has a team option. The Rangers are sure to retain Leclerc, but it is much harder to guess what route Heaney will go.

Sportrac estimates the Rangers are about $55 million under the Luxury Tax Threshold for 2024. That doesn't include the arbitration figures that are still to come. It also doesn't include salaries for players who are not yet eligible for arbitration. Here is what MLBTR projects for the arbitration salary figures for the Rangers in 2024.

If the Rangers do not plan on bringing Bush and Martin back that arbitration total is $28.1 million. The league minimum next year is $740,000. The 26-man roster will most likely include 7 or 8 guys making the league minimum next year. With 8 guys making the minimum that totals $5.9 million. So, the projected total for minimum salary guys and salary arbitration eligible guys is $34 million. That only leaves us $21 million below the Luxury Tax Threshold.

That isn't much wiggle room. There is a way to create more room and that is to trade away veterans and replace them with guys making the league minimum. I have read in other places talk of trading Taveras and/or Lowe. Even if we traded both of them, it would only open up $11.2 million. Trading both leaves us $32.2 million below the Luxury Tax Threshold. The Rangers could choose to go above the Threshold, but even then, I doubt they would go very much above it.

One other possible help could come in the form of a trade of either Jon Gray or Andrew Heaney. Of course, Heaney deciding to opt out would help as well. The amount of Heaney's salary that counts toward the Luxury Tax next year is $12.5 million and Gray's salary is a $14 million hit. Moving on from both Heaney and Gray would free up another $26.5 million. That would allow the Rangers to sign Montgomery. It would also allow another $28 to $30 million left to spend on relievers in free agency.

Montgomery is projected to get a new contract with an AAV of $25 million. The best relief pitcher, Josh Hader, is projected to get a contract with an AAV of $20 million. To sign only those two free agents and no more would cost a total of $45 million on an annual basis.

That would leave us with a rotation of Scherzer, Eovaldi, Montgomery, Dunning and Bradford. One or two of those trades mentioned could bring back a young starter or two to have in AAA to go along with Kent and White for starting pitching depth and maybe compete with Bradford for a spot in the rotation.

Wiggle Room Below the Luxury Tax Threshold​

Without trading away any veterans -- $21 million

Trading away Taveras -- $23.4 million

Trading away Lowe and Taveras -- $$32.2 million

Trading away Lowe, Taveras, plus Heaney leaving -- $44.7 million

Trading away Lowe, Taveras, plus Gray traded and Heaney leaving -- $58.7 million

If the Rangers trade those four veterans and sign Montgomery and Hader it would leave them about $13.7 million below the Luxury Tax threshold.

40-Man Roster Decisions​

It looks like the leading candidates to be added to the 40-man roster this winter are the following:

Justin Foscue
Blaine Crim
Dane Acker
Antoine Kelly
Jose Corniell
Davis Wendzel

I imagine the first 4 will be protected. I would think both Ornelas and Winn are in danger of losing their 40-man spots.

So, let's get the hot stove talk underway.
Guess I’m going to be the Devil’s Advocate and question why are you set trading away Lowe and Gray? I know you are strong advocate for Bradford being in starting rotation opening day but how does trading away Lowe and Gray make us better?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Eovaldi, Montgomery, Scherzer, Dunning and Bradford as the starting rotation, I would consider Gray going to the pen. That would solve one good needed reliever. He would also be backup to a injury of a sp.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Eovaldi, Montgomery, Scherzer, Dunning and Bradford as the starting rotation, I would consider Gray going to the pen. That would solve one good needed reliever. He would also be backup to an injury of a sp.
What do you do if Heaney opts in? Are we going to load up the bullpen with starters so that Bradford can start?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you do if Heaney opts in? Are we going to load up the bullpen with starters so that Bradford can start?
Heaney can go to the pen as a reliever. No longer a starter. He and Gray are good backup to starters. Sborz and Leclerc are sure to stay reducing the number of relievers to acquire. Just a thought. Do not know how it effects budget.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heaney can go to the pen as a reliever. No longer a starter. He and Gray are good backup to starters. Sborz and Leclerc are sure to stay reducing the number of relievers to acquire. Just a thought. Do not know how it effects budget.
Okay but I don’t think we’ll know until the Heaney and Montgomery decisions are made. And then it will probably be when opening day roster is announced who will be in starting rotation.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay but I don’t think we’ll know until the Heaney and Montgomery decisions are made. And then it will probably be when opening day roster is announced who will be in starting rotation.
Right. Not for sure but that is what I think should happen.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. Not for sure but that is what I think should happen.
I know and understand I’m trying to look at it from Rangers FO and management view and I think they see Bradford as the #1 option if one of Scherzer, Eovaldi, Montgomery, Dunning & Gray goes down and to keep Bradford stretched out and ready he starts the season at AAA starting every 5 days & 5 innings minimum until he is needed

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know and understand I’m trying to look at it from Rangers FO and management view and I think they see Bradford as the #1 option if one of Scherzer, Eovaldi, Montgomery, Dunning & Gray goes down and to keep Bradford stretched out and ready he starts the season at AAA starting every 5 days & 5 innings minimum until he is needed
Good way to look at it. Scherzer is my concern. A complete season as a starter will not bode well for him. He showed that this year.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess I’m going to be the Devil’s Advocate and question why are you set trading away Lowe and Gray? I know you are strong advocate for Bradford being in starting rotation opening day but how does trading away Lowe and Gray make us better?
I am not set on it; I am open to it. There os a big difference between those two.

Others have mentioned trading him as well, both on this board and elsewhere. Jamey Newberg has mentioned trading both him and Taveras.

The main thing I was doing was showing what could be done to increase spending. I am open to trading him because we have prospects who can play 1B who are ready. That doesn't mean we have to trade him though.

There are some teams that might be more open to trading us relief pitchers for major league players than they would for prospects. Other teams would want prospects.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good way to look at it. Scherzer is my concern. A complete season as a starter will not bode well for him. He showed that this year.
We really need 3 or 4 guys in AAA that we can turn to to come up and start for us.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Gray, but we do have a lot of starters and very few bullpen guys. Sometimes you gave to trade from a position of strength to fill a weakness.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1