• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Philadelphia Flyers 2024-2025 Season: Progressing Towards Lord Stanley's Cup

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another loss to the Caps and they just couldn't get over the proverbial hump. This is turning into a nightly shitshow but I suppose we have to stick with them to see how the development pays off, I suppose.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another loss to the Caps and they just couldn't get over the proverbial hump. This is turning into a nightly shitshow but I suppose we have to stick with them to see how the development pays off, I suppose.
They're worse than last year.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're worse than last year.
Hard to believe that Sean Walker was the reason for the collapse, but our defense just flat out stinks right now.
It's putting so much pressure on the goalies to be perfect and perhaps our shooters to be perfect.
As a result, bad goals and poor shooting.

Still, Michkov averaging a point a game on a bad team isn't terrible.
If this is all about 2 years from now, then tanking is the best option.
We need to stockpile assets on offense and defense.
It is what it is.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to believe that Sean Walker was the reason for the collapse, but our defense just flat out stinks right now.
It's putting so much pressure on the goalies to be perfect and perhaps our shooters to be perfect.
As a result, bad goals and poor shooting.

Still, Michkov averaging a point a game on a bad team isn't terrible.
If this is all about 2 years from now, then tanking is the best option.
We need to stockpile assets on offense and defense.
It is what it is.
It is fun to have Michkov, but anyone that was on the team last year is worse now because they experienced the collapse.

The guys played really hard last year and the organization torpedoed it as a part of their long-term plan. These guys aren't going to go balls out for this franchise. Not right now. So now we have to skip the season and wait.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is fun to have Michkov, but anyone that was on the team last year is worse now because they experienced the collapse.

The guys played really hard last year and the organization torpedoed it as a part of their long-term plan. These guys aren't going to go balls out for this franchise. Not right now. So now we have to skip the season and wait.
It's disappointing, to say the least.
But, do you believe that they are on the right path?

Should they have not traded Walker and 'gone for it' last season?

Remember, we are still paying Ryan Ellis $6.25M and Ristolainen $5.1M for two more seasons after this one.
Atkinson still gets paid one more year and DeAngelo is done after this year.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Remember, we are still paying Ryan Ellis $6.25M and Ristolainen $5.1M for two more seasons after this one.
No, it doesn't look like they are on a path to the Cup. Getting to the playoffs last year would have at least been some payoff for all the toughness last year. And something to build on.

These guys coming off the books will create space for new overpriced guys. I don't expect free agents to save us anymore than the last round of free agents "saved" us.

The team played hard and the organization gave up on them. I don't see any sign that the excitement of Michkov made up for doing that to all the current players.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely saw a glimmer of our team we have had the past two years.

The hustle started after we were down 4-0. that is a problem.

We need move our dam feet from start to finish and not when are trailing by 4 goals.

If we scored on a a breakaway every now and then we would have a lot more confidence.

We also need to stay out of the box that would help a lt going forward.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely saw a glimmer of our team we have had the past two years.

The hustle started after we were down 4-0. that is a problem.

We need move our dam feet from start to finish and not when are trailing by 4 goals.

If we scored on a a breakaway every now and then we would have a lot more confidence.

We also need to stay out of the box that would help a lt going forward.
Frost missed that wraparound when it was 4-3.
We've had chances.

But, yeah, the brutal starts take a toll.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tippet to 2032 at 6.2
TK to 2033 at 8.75
Couturier to 2030 at 7.75
Farabee to 2028 at 5
Sanheim to 2031 at 6.25

For an at best playoff bubble team they sure have a lot of future cap tied up. Not even saying all those deals are bad, but should we really have all those guys locked up like that if the team isn't very good? In the meantime, they just make sure the team doesn't bottom out.

Maybe the plan is to hope Ryabkin ends up being a stud, but slips in the draft like Michkov did because he's signed in the KHL until 2027? Then the Flyers can get him around #10? Be one hell of a 'thread the needle from 30ft away' plan but it's the only thing that makes any sense to me. Other than the Flyers brass just falling in love with guys and making bad decisions because of it..

Last edited:

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tippet to 2032 at 6.2
TK to 2033 at 8.75
Farabee to 2028 at 5
Sanheim to 2031 at 6.25

For an at best playoff bubble team they sure have a lot of future cap tied up. Not even saying all those deals are bad, but should we really have all those guys locked up like that if the team isn't very good? In the meantime, they just make sure the team doesn't bottom out.
The Couturier one hurts, but that was Fletcher, no?
The other contracts should be reasonable value if they produce.

Not for nothing, but our penalty kill is #2 and our power play is #11.

We are struggling at 5v5 for whatever reason.
Drysdale and Zamula are both -10, so it might just be growing pains with a young core.

Maybe last year was a fluke and we were punching way above our weight class?
Regardless, we have collected assets similar to the Sixers during the Hinkie process years.
Does that guarantee success or a championship? Certainly not.

But, with Michkov in the fold, I've never had more hope than in the past what, 5-10 years?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tippet to 2032 at 6.2
TK to 2033 at 8.75
Farabee to 2028 at 5
Sanheim to 2031 at 6.25

Maybe the plan is to hope Ryabkin ends up being a stud, but slips in the draft like Michkov did because he's signed in the KHL until 2027? Then the Flyers can get him around #10? Be one hell of a 'thread the needle from 30ft away' plan but it's the only thing that makes any sense to me. Other than the Flyers brass just falling in love with guys and making bad decisions because of it..
I agree with this and if we are going to tank these guys need to be moved.

I personally dont think we will be tanking though as a couple of breaks this season and we are 3-3 right now instead of 1-5.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Drysdale and Zamula are both -10, so it might just be growing pains with a young core.

Regardless, we have collected assets similar to the Sixers during the Hinkie process years.

But, with Michkov in the fold, I've never had more hope than in the past what, 5-10 years?
I agree that the 5 on 5 play has been a huge problem. I think we may be last in the league in that area

We haven't gotten any puck luck and i do hope its coming.

I dont mind losing if we hustle from start to finish but if we glide around the ice for half a game it pisses me off

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Danny's tenure comes down to next summer. 3 firsts and 3 seconds. The plan looks murky or even bad to my eyes right now, but if they knock that draft out of the park they could be back in business. But they basically need a walk off grand slam. 1C, maybe 2C too (who knows what the hell they're doing with Luchanko right now), a top pair dman, and probably another top 4 dman.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the 5 on 5 play has been a huge problem. I think we may be last in the league in that area

We haven't gotten any puck luck and i do hope its coming.

I dont mind losing if we hustle from start to finish but if we glide around the ice for half a game it pisses me off
The one issue I see is the juggling of the lines every game.
If it's a mad scientist lab and they're trying to find out who can do what and what the best line combos are, that's the first sign of a stealth tank.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny's tenure comes down to next summer. 3 firsts and 3 seconds. The plan looks murky or even bad to my eyes right now, but if they knock that draft out of the park they could be back in business. But they basically need a walk off grand slam. 1C, maybe 2C too (who knows what the hell they're doing with Luchanko right now), a top pair dman, and probably another top 4 dman.
Agreed.
I don't think they need to hit on all of them, but at least 2, probably 3 have to be foundational contributors within a few years.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'm ready to see Zumula be scratched for a few cause that dude is and has been a pylon all season so far. Seems these guys get a decent contract and then all.of a sudden cant play for shit.
The problem with that is he is Michkovs best friend and translator .

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a young team. The Flyers average age is 26.6. Only Buffalo, Montreal, and Utah (so weird to say), are younger. Jett Luchanko is the youngest player in the league at just a hair over 18. They are relatively inexperienced with two rookies, Luchanko and Matvei Michkov, in key roles on the team. This is a group you need to be patient with. They are learning and growing. It may take a while before they click.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps the FO sent the wrong message to the players in the last draft when they by-passed the best player available for the player they did select in the first round.