• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Philadelphia Flyers 2024-2025 Season: Progressing Towards Lord Stanley's Cup

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We played a very slow game. The last two years we were buzzing to every loose puck. We cut time and space from any opposing player who had control of the puck and made a steal or a deflection or a blocked shot.

Last night it looked like we were thinking instead of just going straight at them. We had a much better forecheck the last two seasons.

Even though we didn't play our total game from the last 2 years we still had a shot to tie it up and maybe win and then Drysdale handed them the game.

i know he is only 22 but i dont see all the hype.
I think someone filled a bunch of heads in the pre season that we were gonna have an elite offense with the addition of Michkov, we don't! Also we need to shoot more and fight down low, two things were definitely not doing. Also last year there seemed to be more forwards doing a better job of back checking which lead to us winning a lot more puck races, not seeing the effort.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a side note, we have what we have in players, so the one thing that I feel needs to happen is just play them and see what the growth is. These kids are the future going forward so better to rootout bad weeds now and let your garden flourish instead if allowing weeds to grow. Deslauriers should only be on the ice if it's an emergency, he added zero to this line up! Coots should be on a short leash, sorry but it's being realistic. As much as I like Laughton he needs to show up more than every 20 games a season to. Yea he does little things but not consistently. Lastly we still need a number 1 goalie, I like Errsson but not sure he's the answer, I know he's not getting much help but I just believe there are better options out there.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think someone filled a bunch of heads in the pre season that we were gonna have an elite offense with the addition of Michkov, we don't! Also we need to shoot more and fight down low, two things were definitely not doing. Also last year there seemed to be more forwards doing a better job of back checking which lead to us winning a lot more puck races, not seeing the effort.
I agree 100% with everything said in the post :clap:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a side note, we have what we have in players, so the one thing that I feel needs to happen is just play them and see what the growth is. These kids are the future going forward so better to rootout bad weeds now and let your garden flourish instead if allowing weeds to grow. Deslauriers should only be on the ice if it's an emergency, he added zero to this line up! Coots should be on a short leash, sorry but it's being realistic. As much as I like Laughton he needs to show up more than every 20 games a season to. Yea he does little things but not consistently. Lastly we still need a number 1 goalie, I like Errsson but not sure he's the answer, I know he's not getting much help but I just believe there are better options out there.
You dont have to be sorry for saying the truth about Couts. He makes the most money on our team and at best is a third line center.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have two fantasy squads this year and if there's one thing a lot of top Nhl teams don't have yet, it's a #1 netminder. Look at Colorado or Toronto. The Avs can't find anyone to stop the puck regularly. We moved on from Stolie the goalie and now he is #1 for the Leafs. Hill is the starter in Vegas, but he's struggling mightily. Edmonton's goalie tandem are averaging an .862 sv% and 3.86 gaa. You ever heard of Lankinen and Silovs!? The Canucks are relying on these guys in net. Fortunately, one of them is hot right now. Again, the Devils are relying on two veterans, both of which have very poor stats to date. The Penqueens can't find a hot goalie in their stable either. Even Tampa is having issues and they have Vasilevskiy. The same for Florida with Bob.

Tons of people aren't happy in net right now. I think it is just the natural chaos of the early season.

Where exactly would you like to get a top goalie from, because a lot of actual contenders need one too!?!

All we can do is work with what we have, especially for this season. I just hope the team doesn't need as much molding as they appear to.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have two fantasy squads this year and if there's one thing a lot of top Nhl teams don't have yet, it's a #1 netminder. Look at Colorado or Toronto. The Avs can't find anyone to stop the puck regularly. We moved on from Stolie the goalie and now he is #1 for the Leafs. Hill is the starter in Vegas, but he's struggling mightily. Edmonton's goalie tandem are averaging an .862 sv% and 3.86 gaa. You ever heard of Lankinen and Silovs!? The Canucks are relying on these guys in net. Fortunately, one of them is hot right now. Again, the Devils are relying on two veterans, both of which have very poor stats to date. The Penqueens can't find a hot goalie in their stable either. Even Tampa is having issues and they have Vasilevskiy. The same for Florida with Bob.

Tons of people aren't happy in net right now. I think it is just the natural chaos of the early season.

Where exactly would you like to get a top goalie from, because a lot of actual contenders need one too!?!

All we can do is work with what we have, especially for this season. I just hope the team doesn't need as much molding as they appear to.
Playing Fedotov accomplishes a few things.
Get to see if he can acclimate.
Pile up losses in a stealth tank.
Regardless, he's getting paid for the next two seasons, so might as well play him.

Ersson might not even be the future if Zavragin is legit.
Also have Bjarnsson.

We have one of the worst defensive corps, so naturally that makes the goaltending look bad.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may not like his methods but he has turned us from a joke straight from his first practice to a team who should've made the playoffs last year.

Record 742 -612 is pretty good.

I don't like him, I won't try to hide from that. But my bigger issue with him right now is he squeezes every drop out of players that just aren't that good and I don't think that's a good thing long term for the team. So they take a roster that's not very good, he squeezes every ounce out of it so they finish with the 13th pick. They're not any better because the franchise changing talents are gone by the 13th pick. Rinse and repeat. Eventually he wears out his welcome as all NHL coaches do, 2-3 years from now we're in exactly the same spot because we never picked high enough to get a difference maker. And difference makers don't get moved unless you're also trading a difference maker, or you have a draft pick that's in difference maker territory.

And as for straight joke to a team that should've made the playoffs. One, 50% of the league makes the playoffs, that doesn't mean you're a contender. And two, they finished 6th in the metro in 2021, 8th in 2022, 7th in 2023, and 6th in 2024. So ya, they got more points and they play a style most fans appreciate more, but they haven't gotten better than any of the teams in front of them. What's the path to that? Blocking more shots can only get you so far.

They're basically turning into the Isles of the last 10-20 years. Which I know you appreciate their game, but they haven't sniffed a cup in that time either. What's the point of that?

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing Fedotov accomplishes a few things.
Get to see if he can acclimate.
Pile up losses in a stealth tank.
Regardless, he's getting paid for the next two seasons, so might as well play him.

Ersson might not even be the future if Zavragin is legit.
Also have Bjarnsson.

We have one of the worst defensive corps, so naturally that makes the goaltending look bad.
Yes. Zavragin is putting up wild numbers in the KHL and he only just turned 19. Bjarnason is the same age up in Brandon of the WHL. Our top Nhl goalie is probably yet to come, much like our other needs, like center and defense.

I just hate to think that we're potentially tanking this season after the progress of last season and the addition of Michkov, but it's definitely best for the franchise in the long term.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like him, I won't try to hide from that. But my bigger issue with him right now is he squeezes every drop out of players that just aren't that good and I don't think that's a good thing long term for the team. So they take a roster that's not very good, he squeezes every ounce out of it so they finish with the 13th pick. They're not any better because the franchise changing talents are gone by the 13th pick. Rinse and repeat. Eventually he wears out his welcome as all NHL coaches do, 2-3 years from now we're in exactly the same spot because we never picked high enough to get a difference maker. And difference makers don't get moved unless you're also trading a difference maker, or you have a draft pick that's in difference maker territory.

And as for straight joke to a team that should've made the playoffs. One, 50% of the league makes the playoffs, that doesn't mean you're a contender. And two, they finished 6th in the metro in 2021, 8th in 2022, 7th in 2023, and 6th in 2024. So ya, they got more points and they play a style most fans appreciate more, but they haven't gotten better than any of the teams in front of them. What's the path to that? Blocking more shots can only get you so far.

They're basically turning into the Isles of the last 10-20 years. Which I know you appreciate their game, but they haven't sniffed a cup in that time either. What's the point of that?
I hate to point out the fact that we have been the Isles of the last 10-20 years for our last 8-14 years. So we've been there done that.

We both know we should've finished higher than 6th in the division last year if couts didn't have a vagina between his legs.

And yes we should've made the playoffs and once you get in anything can happen which makes you a contender. Montreal was an 8th seed and went to a cup just a few years back.

Torts has turned this team from a literal joke into a decent squad in just 2 years with no stars on offense and zero defense with mediocre goaltending.

He is a future Hall of famer and his 550 winning % says he a good coach as well as the hustle this team has played with the last 2 years.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Torts has turned this team from a literal joke into a decent squad in just 2 years with no stars on offense and zero defense with mediocre goaltending.

He is a future Hall of famer and his 550 winning % says he a good coach as well as the hustle this team has played with the last 2 years.

I'm not knocking him as a coach. If anything I'm saying he's too good of a coach for where this team is. But you have to be a hockey god to coach a team to a cup with no stars on offense, zero defense, and medicore goaltending. And unfortunately the path to improving that is picking higher in the draft. That's how hockey works these days. And Torts hinders that.

Plus he's a dick.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not knocking him as a coach. If anything I'm saying he's too good of a coach for where this team is. But you have to be a hockey god to coach a team to a cup with no stars on offense, zero defense, and medicore goaltending. And unfortunately the path to improving that is picking higher in the draft. That's how hockey works these days. And Torts hinders that.

Plus he's a dick.
We have plenty of picks this year and a couple of solid young players now so who knows what will happen.

Plus he's only a dick when he coaches for other teams not ours.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've gotta take the bad with the good with a lot of our younger players. Well, right now, we're definitely seeing the bad. Once we start seeing some of the positives, this will look a lot better. Fucking TONIGHT would be great...Lol

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love nothing more than for the kid to light it up tonight. His vision and passing on the ice is already easily the best on the team. Unfortunately, nobody can finish anything right now or he'd be piling up the points.

We should be seeing Fedotov and Thompson in net, so a lot of goals could be scored. They both have bad numbers to date.