• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spurs vs Heat NBA FINALS Thread

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA Final: Heat's effort problem a stain on the league - CBSSports.com

Maybe it was just a series of soundbytes. Maybe it's denial. Maybe it's just a byproduct of a situation I can't understand as I've never played professional sports. But the way the Miami Heat talked about "effort" on Wednesday after their Game 3 blowout loss to the San Antonio Spurs in the NBA Finals was just unbelievable.

"We didn't give the effort that we needed to give," forward Chris Bosh said at practice Wednesday. "And it's really embarrassing to be a part of that, honestly."

It's pretty embarrassing to hear a team playing for an NBA championship after losing a pivotal game in a tied series talk about effort, Chris. Bosh is thoughtful, genuine, and maybe a little bit sensitive, and typically I don't go in for the Chris Bosh destruction glee that the internet has made into a growth industry. But the matter-of-fact way the Heat talked about simply not playing hard, on the road in a crucial game in the championship round is simply stunning and disgusting at the same time. It's stungusting.

"I just think after a while we didn't have the same effort, the same energy," guard Ray Allen said.

"A lack of effort," point guard Mario Chalmer said. "That's what we have to adjust."

Shouldn't it be surprising that effort is an issue this late in the season, Rio? With only five games left (before Game 3) at most?

"It's definitely surprising, but it's something we have to fix and figure out. "

Well, yes, that's true, otherwise you can go back to half-energy while the world mocks this superstar team for failing to deliver on its promise two-out-of-three years.

"It's disappointing we didn't play the game defensively the way that we can," Dwyane Wade said. "We're not pointing fingers at each other. We're not pointing fingers at anyone. It was collective as a group. We all had our hand and our part in that. So like I said, and I'll continue to say it, I'm sure you'll hear it, we just got to play better. We have to own up to it. If we bring that same effort and focus the next game, it will be the same outcome."

I love the NBA. I cover it daily, nearly 24-hours a day. It's the first thing I read about when I wake up, usually the last thing I watch before I go to sleep. I'm invested in the NBA and defend it as a great product. I tell you this so you understand the severity of what I'm about to say.

Watching the Miami Heat play and then say things like this makes it easy to understand why so many people don't like the NBA. You simply don't have to give the kind of supreme effort that we've come to love in sports. The Heat could very well win the next three games and win the title and no one would bat an eye. This after they failed to try in an NBA Finals game.

This is not a Heat-only thing, ever. Don't get fooled. The Celtics coasted against the Hawks in 2008. The Lakers were notorious for playing down to their opponent in both 2009 and 2010. The Heat did seem genuinely engaged in 2012, and you saw the results. But now here we are again, back to what Miami looked like in 2011 for long stretches, simply not committing to the kind of efforts you expect from championship teams in the ideal.

This is a late-playoffs gripe, let's be clear. I don't mind guys mailing it in in Charlotte in February. I don't have a problem with the back-to-back disaster vs. Denver in the altitude off five hours sleep. But when an NBA title is on the line, especially for a team with historic expectations riding on the outcome, you do expect to hear something better than "we didn't try hard enough."

What on Earth could bring more effort? An easier schedule? More money? A cookie?

I can not imagine the kind of physical exertion that goes into playing in an NBA game. The intensity of muscle movement is incomprehensible to me. But in a life before writing about grown men bouncing a leather ball, I did know what actual work is. And when something is important to you, you'll throw your soul into it, you'll burn bridges, wreck your body, sacrifice the hardest parts of yourself for it. The Heat instead seem content to just shrug and say "Whoops, didn't play hard enough, that's a bummer."

Miami's killer instinct has long been suspect. They dominated a younger, more inexperienced Thunder team in 2012 to win their only championship of the Triad era. Now they face a Game 4 that could put them on the brink of elimination and essentially shut them down. Does this team have the fight to come back from a seemingly insurmountable 3-1 deficit? Considering they can't muster the willpower to fight their way into anything closer than a 36-point loss in Game 3, you have to think the answer is no.

Maybe they'll come back and respond in Game 4, maybe they won't. But to hear a team on this stage, with this kind of potential, throw up a self-critical and honest, but crushingly disappointing answer of "we didn't give good enough effort," it just makes you wonder.

How is a CBA ever going to fix a league with that kind of problem?

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Translation: Effort means "We sucked and can't understand how we got beat so soundly."

SportsChic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was cracking up on flopping :baby: LeBum James saying "I will play better"

Ha ha LeBum, the Spurs are taking away your lay ups and dunks and the BRICKS are back!

Yeah this guy is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better then Michael Jordan. People really should stop listening to those fools at the four letter network saying that LeBrick is a G.O.A.T. when just a plain GOAT.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Translation: Effort means "We sucked and can't understand how we got beat so soundly."

i understand why the heat got their ass kicked. what i dont get is how NBA players (all star caliber in Lebron and Bosh) have failed to hit open 15-18 footers. Pops is giving away those shots.. not really contesting them. Miami cant knock them down. I am shocked this is working, but hats off to Pops for the strategy. Miami better start knocking down shots and soon or as upset as this makes me, this series will be over quickly.

with that said, i do believe miami knocks down those shots tonight. i think miami takes game 4.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i understand why the heat got their ass kicked. what i dont get is how NBA players (all star caliber in Lebron and Bosh) have failed to hit open 15-18 footers. Pops is giving away those shots.. not really contesting them. Miami cant knock them down. I am shocked this is working, but hats off to Pops for the strategy. Miami better start knocking down shots and soon or as upset as this makes me, this series will be over quickly.

with that said, i do believe miami knocks down those shots tonight. i think miami takes game 4.

i like you, Flauge. i believe you're a good dude. but here's kinda what I think. i think that the Spurs realize how important it is to go out and win game 4. why? because they realize that IF they win this it puts the series in a virtual stranglehold, as(i'm sure EVERYONE has heard by now) NO team's ever come back from 3-1 to win a series in the NBA finals. and i don't care if it IS the Heat, they won't do it either. so if anyone thinks Pop's gonna let up tonight i think they better think again...

just sayin'...

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When you dont have options and the only course of action is to take the least desirable road to a goal most people hesitate and feel their way. Pop is a brilliant coach and knows human nature. He is making Lebron and Wade uncomfortable and forcing them to have to shoot over the top to beat them. Its now a mental thing and Lebron is going to have to take what the defense gives him and live with the results. The Spurs are too disciplined to change their game plan if Lebron forces the action by driving to the basket. He will get a few layups but he will miss more due to the defense.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs dont get me confused, I dont think Pops or the Spurs are going to let up tonight. I just believe Miami will win tonight because Miami is the better team. Lebron and Bosh need to hit jumpers and DWade (hurt knee and all) needs to find a way to contribute in the second half.

I do hope parker misses the game tonight though.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you dont have options and the only course of action is to take the least desirable road to a goal most people hesitate and feel their way. Pop is a brilliant coach and knows human nature. He is making Lebron and Wade uncomfortable and forcing them to have to shoot over the top to beat them. Its now a mental thing and Lebron is going to have to take what the defense gives him and live with the results. The Spurs are too disciplined to change their game plan if Lebron forces the action by driving to the basket. He will get a few layups but he will miss more due to the defense.

VERY good post...:agree:

the idea was 100% to get into LeClown and Dwade's head. so far it seems to be working...

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs dont get me confused, I dont think Pops or the Spurs are going to let up tonight. I just believe Miami will win tonight because Miami is the better team. Lebron and Bosh need to hit jumpers and DWade (hurt knee and all) needs to find a way to contribute in the second half.

I do hope parker misses the game tonight though.

i guess that's what it really comes down to, Flauge. i DON'T think Miami is the "better team". and the results pretty much speak for themselves so far...

as far as Parker goes i haven't heard one thing or another yet, but i'm guessing if he CAN go he'll be there tonight...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that part of the reason Miami isn't hitting those shots is because their offense is set up to be a fast breaking offense that feeds off of turnovers. When that part of the game is working, as it was in game 2, those outside shots tend to fall. However, when they don't get those runouts and can't get into the paint, as happened in games 1 and 3, the outside shooting suffers.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think alot of times, people confuse "most talented" team with "better" team.

I'll easily concede that the Heat have more talent. But, as John Madden would say, "90% of the game is half mental".

And I'm not sure if even the most blind homer Heat fan in history would be willing to say the Heat are better mentally than the Spurs.

That's just not the case. Especially when it comes to Pops vs Erik Estrada.

Toss in the homecourt intangible and the Spurs could very well have the better "team", even if Miami has the more talented.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i guess that's what it really comes down to, Flauge. i DON'T think Miami is the "better team". and the results pretty much speak for themselves so far...

as far as Parker goes i haven't heard one thing or another yet, but i'm guessing if he CAN go he'll be there tonight...

i cant argue with that. but the heat did blow this team out just 4 short days ago. and then 2 days ago got blown out themselves. Neither one of these teams is 20-30 points better than the other.

Miami hasnt lost back to back games since january.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll easily concede that the Heat have more talent. But, as John Madden would say, "90% of the game is half mental".

And I'm not sure if even the most blind homer Heat fan in history would be willing to say the Heat are better mentally than the Spurs.

Toss in the homecourt intangible and the Spurs could very well have the better "team", even if Miami has the more talented.

i can agree with most of that. i dont know these players well enough to know which group is mentally stronger. both are championship clubs, so mentally they are both tough.

but pops is the best coach in the NBA right now. it is series like this that when when i see the inevitable camera cut to Riley in the stands that i get infuriated. the best coach in our organization is sitting in the stands with the same stoic look.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i can agree with most of that. i dont know these players well enough to know which group is mentally stronger. both are championship clubs, so mentally they are both tough.

but pops is the best coach in the NBA right now. it is series like this that when when i see the inevitable camera cut to Riley in the stands that i get infuriated. the best coach in our organization is sitting in the stands with the same stoic look.

out of all that's been said this is the one that's always boggled me. why ain't Pat Slick down there on the sideline with the team...?

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

kinda what Clark Kellogg always says. "a cohesive team can beat a more talented one"...

SportsChic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shocking!

CL67 being civil with Heat morons.

But one I thought was all-right but apologize for rant on the Heat boards.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shocking!

CL67 being civil with Heat morons.

But one I thought was all-right but apologize for rant on the Heat boards.

LOL! hey, i've ALWAYS said Flauge was a decent dude. now if you bring up Turnip, door prize, or Hoorse, then yeah, THOSE friggin' jackasses can rot in hell forever. big diff when fans don't go out of their way to be assholes...

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"We didn't give the effort that we needed to give," forward Chris Bosh said at practice Wednesday. "And it's really embarrassing to be a part of that, honestly."

"I just think after a while we didn't have the same effort, the same energy," guard Ray Allen said.

"A lack of effort," point guard Mario Chalmer said. "That's what we have to adjust."

Sorry to call bullshit on these Heat players, but you gave the effort. You just got your asses kicked. Man up and get ready for game 4. Practice your jump shots a little more. That's why you lost.